PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu is great, but still needs some work

koenn
May 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I've been using Linux (Ubuntu mostly) for a while now, and there are some things that I think need to change if we want to fix bug #1. I think we can all agree that to increase the user base of Ubuntu, we should count on converts from Microsoft, espacially XP users who are trying to avoid a forced migration to Vista.

Here's what needs to be done :

1- Tux as a logo is just stupid
Who's ever going to want a product that features a fat ugly penguin as a logo, especially when it's done in a 1970's cartoon style ?

2- Ubuntu should use NTFS as filesystem

Xp conversts will want to keep their files from XP. To make the transition easier, Ubuntu should use NTfs as filesystem, because the current support level is unacceptable (users don't want to mess with drivers for something basic as gaining access to their files).

3-The ubuntu installer should default to 'dual boot' with XP.

Again, this will allow for an easier transition. Preferably, GRUB should default to booting XP. This was the standard behaviour for Linux distro's all through the 90's, until Linux devs got so arrogant that they thought Linux was ready to replace Windows and they could speed up the adoption of Linux by forcing users to use an ugly, confusing boot menu to get their Windows started. Clearly this is not intuitive and not user-friendly, especially to newbies.

4- Canonical should sell Ubuntu in stead of giving it away.

It's clear that people (defenitely in the USA, probably elsewhere as well) only take things seriously if they cost money. The more expensive something is, the better it must be. An operating system that is given away for free can't be any good. So, to make Ubuntu a success on the desktop, Ubuntu should cost at least as much as a Windows XP license.

5- Always be root.

Having to type passwords to start an application is BS. The OS shouldn't tell me what to do, I tell the computer what to do. Therefore, I should be able to log in as root and run any program I see fit. Once logged in, no user should ever have to type a password again for installing software, changing configuration settings, browsing the web, etc. Any application (especially web browsers etc) should install with all features activated and preferences set in such a way so that the user experience isn't interrupted by obscure warnings about potentially harmfull actions an totally normal actions such as scruipts and popups on websites needing confirmation to run.

6- All hardware should be supported out of the box.

Any desktop operating system worthy of that name should support any and all hardware out of the box, without any need for cryptic commands and weird workarounds. It can't be that hard, as other operating systems clearly have no problem with it. The developers should get their act together and solve this for the next release of Ubuntu.

7- Anti-virus software installed by default.

The absense of anti-virus software on an Ubuntu system is confusing for (ex-) Windows users. Although anti-virus software may not be strictly necessary on a Linux system, it gives the user a sense of insecurity and degrades Linux as a desktop system ("this so-called superior OS doesn't even have anti-virus !!!).
On the other hand, claims such as "you don't need anti-virus software on Linux" induce a (false) sense of security and, as most users don't distinguish between virus threats and other security issues, Ubuntu boxes will soon become the target of choice of any cracker, script kiddie or other hacker wannabees.
All of this can easily be avoided by installing an anti-virus product by default.

8 - Reboot and Defrag.

After installing updates, the system should prompt for a reboot. Most (new) users associate a prompt to reboot with succesfull downloading and installing patches and updates, and it would be wrong to unnerve and confuse them. Likewise, Ubuntu should consider having a disk defragmentation tool that users can run regularly. As long as Linux is still using Ext filesystems, the program could just show a screen where tiny coloured squares are moved about randomly (Win 98 style gui) or a simulation of the NT/XP defrag GUI, for 20 minutes or so.

9- executables should be executable.

Using an "executable" permission is not intuitive and confuses the user. Users expect executables to have a filename with an .exe extension, and then have a file browser by default hide the extension but still depend on that extension to recognise executable files so they can be associated with a program that runs them when they are double-clicked.

10- Ubuntu should default to an XP-like look-and-feel

Again, to attract more XP converts and ease their transition, the default desktop environment of Ubuntu should look like Windows XP and behave accordingly, to the point that an unsuspecting user can not tell wether she's using Windows XP or Ubuntu.
The desktop background should, however, have a tell tale Linux / Ubuntu graphic or text so that it can be made clear that it's in fact a Linux/Ubuntu system - in case the user wants to show off leet computer skills ("look at me, I'm running Linux ! "). This should be an option that can be turned off and on using a simple wizzard, as to not to confuse the new user without leet computer skills.

11- A less confusing file system hierchy.

For starters, the / in the filepaths are confusing. People associate them with URL's. Not that lots of users still type paths (this is CLI stuff and a CLI is unacceptable in a modern operating system) but the / is a clear relic of a 1960's operating system and should be abandonned completely - we want Ubuntu to be the leading OS now, not in the 1960's.
Then, users expect drive letters in the file system hierchy. They act as anchors and tell you where to start. The Ubunty FSH (file system hierarch) completely obscures the underlying disks and partitions - how can you ever be sure where your files are (don't come telling me about fstab etc. No user should ever have to come in contact with these obscure and oldfashioned text files for configuration).
Apart from drive letters, the FSH should use clear, user-friendly names such as My Documents, My Programs, My Pictures, My Music ... The whole of linux should be in a directory C:\Linux. Each program should have its own subdirectory (under C:\Programs) whgere all files and dependencies of that application should be placed. That way, a power user can remove an application and all the dependencies without using aptitude or other tools.
A registry with a GUI should be created to change OS configuration settings such as default file locations, so that power users can move these directories to a different drive or partition.

---------------------

Given that Ubuntu will soon become the defacto standard for all Linux distributions, these improvements will soon spill over to other distributions as well, so any compatibility issue will automatically be resolved. Hopefully, by that time, the devs will have rewritten all of my favorite games so the'll run on Ubuntu, otherwise I'll just stick with XP. It's up to you.

jariku
May 13th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I think I've heard this joke done better a few times better before.

BoyOfDestiny
May 13th, 2007, 05:40 PM
You forgot include WINE by default. ;)

aysiu
May 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Is this serious?

TheTruth34
May 13th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Is this serious?
^^^^

v8YKxgHe
May 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Is this serious?

Why'd you say that? Do you not agree with these changes? I think they are perfectly good and is just what we need. I hope some of these make it's way into Gutsy.

:lolflag: :lolflag: I sure do hope he/she is not serious!

Bronto
May 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
So, basically, one should switch XP with... XP?

FuturePilot
May 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcastic of serious.:confused:

jariku
May 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Is this serious?

The magic 8-ball says..... "All signs point to no." :)

BoyOfDestiny
May 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Is this serious?

I asked myself the same thing the first few seconds in.

I'm betting this is a joke though.
Even if not, still funny I think as it might make a few people happy... :)

juxtaposed
May 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I'll go with everyone else and hope it's not serious :)

reyfer
May 13th, 2007, 05:53 PM
A great piece of sarcasm :lolflag:

On the other hand, if this was meant to be serious, changing Microsoft Windows XP for Ubuntu Windows XP is plain genius :lolflag:

Yaffle
May 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Woah.... What a load of crap, So this guy is basically telling us to create a clone of XP?
I was once a XP user I switched to Ubuntu with not problems. It took my a while to get used the hole system but overall I love it.

allix
May 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM
My emotions are running rampant right now, I don't really know what I show do. Should I laugh? Should I cry? Should I try to get this guys home-address, get over there and smack him over the head...? Should I call his mom? :confused:

Rab22
May 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I hope this isn't serious as well.

But I have to agree, it's hard to tell.

karellen
May 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM
:lolflag:
I needed a good laugh sunday evening

Stew2
May 13th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I hope he's joking cause Tux's feelings are really hurt! (he's quite sensitive you know) :lolflag:

BackwardsDown
May 13th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Luckely for you ubuntu doesnt use tux very much, rather their own logo.

Let's just use our own (better) filesystems.

When ubuntu sees that XP is installed it should be default yes. But grub doesn't need to default to xp, rather make a simple gui so you can edit that manually.\

Bad idea.

5- Always be root.
Even worse.

Last time I checked linux supported more hardware out of the box than windows. And the dev's are working hard on this. But instead I think we should sell more preinstalled ubuntu-pc's, with that the most problems are pretty much solved.

That's lame, we dont need it yet. Also I think writing a fix for the bug that the virus is exploiting is much faster than writing a virus definition for it.

8 - Reboot and Defrag.
A defrag for ext3 could be handy, altough it is not very needed. And not needed for the normal user. Users should not be bothered with this kind of stuff. We should just say that ubuntu defrags itself once in a while :P

Yes, I find this chmod thing also a bit in-intuitive.

Ubuntu is ubuntu, and xp is xp. Do not change that, people will think the operating system works the same becouse it looks that way. And that isn't the case, and that never will be the case.

Users should not be bothered with the system hierchy in the first place, except for /home.

otherwise I'll just stick with XP. It's up to you.
If you want windows, use windows. If you want to use ubuntu, use ubuntu. It's up to you.

notwen
May 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Another one of these posts rambling about making Ubuntu more Windows-like... it boggles the mind. =x If Windows users are wanting a linux alternative, Ubuntu may or may not be for them, the key-word is "alternative" not "Windows". If you're wanting all these features, here's an idea, try a different distro or simply stick w/ Windows. In my experience you either deal w/ the slight learning curve or you don't and fall back to what you know(majority atleast) and re-install Windows. I myself enjoy the learning curve, kinda reminds me when I upgraded from Win3.1 to Win95. *cackles* =]

Sweet Spot
May 13th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I'd just like to say that :

1) The OP can't be serious.

2) The OP has WAAAAY too much time on his hands, and should consider doing charity work somewhere rather than putting together silly posts as such.

3) If on the off chance that the OP was actually serious, I'd like to just tell him/her:

Jump off of the nearest bridge, and make the world a better place for the rest of us sane people to live in ! :popcorn:

JOrtiz8612
May 13th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I've been using Linux (Ubuntu mostly) for a while now, and there are some things that I think need to change if we want to fix bug #1. I think we can all agree that to increase the user base of Ubuntu, we should count on converts from Microsoft, espacially XP users who are trying to avoid a forced migration to Vista.

Here's what needs to be done :

Who's ever going to want a product that features a fat ugly penguin as a logo, especially when it's done in a 1970's cartoon style ?

Xp conversts will want to keep their files from XP. To make the transition easier, Ubuntu should use NTfs as filesystem, because the current support level is unacceptable (users don't want to mess with drivers for something basic as gaining access to their files).

Again, this will allow for an easier transition. Preferably, GRUB should default to booting XP. This was the standard behaviour for Linux distro's all through the 90's, until Linux devs got so arrogant that they thought Linux was ready to replace Windows and they could speed up the adoption of Linux by forcing users to use an ugly, confusing boot menu to get their Windows started. Clearly this is not intuitive and not user-friendly, especially to newbies.

It's clear that people (defenitely in the USA, probably elsewhere as well) only take things seriously if they cost money. The more expensive something is, the better it must be. An operating system that is given away for free can't be any good. So, to make Ubuntu a success on the desktop, Ubuntu should cost at least as much as a Windows XP license.

5- Always be root.

Having to type passwords to start an application is BS. The OS shouldn't tell me what to do, I tell the computer what to do. Therefore, I should be able to log in as root and run any program I see fit. Once logged in, no user should ever have to type a password again for installing software, changing configuration settings, browsing the web, etc. Any application (especially web browsers etc) should install with all features activated and preferences set in such a way so that the user experience isn't interrupted by obscure warnings about potentially harmfull actions an totally normal actions such as scruipts and popups on websites needing confirmation to run.

Any desktop operating system worthy of that name should support any and all hardware out of the box, without any need for cryptic commands and weird workarounds. It can't be that hard, as other operating systems clearly have no problem with it. The developers should get their act together and solve this for the next release of Ubuntu.

The absense of anti-virus software on an Ubuntu system is confusing for (ex-) Windows users. Although anti-virus software may not be strictly necessary on a Linux system, it gives the user a sense of insecurity and degrades Linux as a desktop system ("this so-called superior OS doesn't even have anti-virus !!!).
On the other hand, claims such as "you don't need anti-virus software on Linux" induce a (false) sense of security and, as most users don't distinguish between virus threats and other security issues, Ubuntu boxes will soon become the target of choice of any cracker, script kiddie or other hacker wannabees.
All of this can easily be avoided by installing an anti-virus product by default.

8 - Reboot and Defrag.

After installing updates, the system should prompt for a reboot. Most (new) users associate a prompt to reboot with succesfull downloading and installing patches and updates, and it would be wrong to unnerve and confuse them. Likewise, Ubuntu should consider having a disk defragmentation tool that users can run regularly. As long as Linux is still using Ext filesystems, the program could just show a screen where tiny coloured squares are moved about randomly (Win 98 style gui) or a simulation of the NT/XP defrag GUI, for 20 minutes or so.

Using an "executable" permission is not intuitive and confuses the user. Users expect executables to have a filename with an .exe extension, and then have a file browser by default hide the extension but still depend on that extension to recognise executable files so they can be associated with a program that runs them when they are double-clicked.

Again, to attract more XP converts and ease their transition, the default desktop environment of Ubuntu should look like Windows XP and behave accordingly, to the point that an unsuspecting user can not tell wether she's using Windows XP or Ubuntu.
The desktop background should, however, have a tell tale Linux / Ubuntu graphic or text so that it can be made clear that it's in fact a Linux/Ubuntu system - in case the user wants to show off leet computer skills ("look at me, I'm running Linux ! "). This should be an option that can be turned off and on using a simple wizzard, as to not to confuse the new user without leet computer skills.

For starters, the / in the filepaths are confusing. People associate them with URL's. Not that lots of users still type paths (this is CLI stuff and a CLI is unacceptable in a modern operating system) but the / is a clear relic of a 1960's operating system and should be abandonned completely - we want Ubuntu to be the leading OS now, not in the 1960's.
Then, users expect drive letters in the file system hierchy. They act as anchors and tell you where to start. The Ubunty FSH (file system hierarch) completely obscures the underlying disks and partitions - how can you ever be sure where your files are (don't come telling me about fstab etc. No user should ever have to come in contact with these obscure and oldfashioned text files for configuration).
Apart from drive letters, the FSH should use clear, user-friendly names such as My Documents, My Programs, My Pictures, My Music ... The whole of linux should be in a directory C:\Linux. Each program should have its own subdirectory (under C:\Programs) whgere all files and dependencies of that application should be placed. That way, a power user can remove an application and all the dependencies without using aptitude or other tools.
A registry with a GUI should be created to change OS configuration settings such as default file locations, so that power users can move these directories to a different drive or partition.

---------------------

Given that Ubuntu will soon become the defacto standard for all Linux distributions, these improvements will soon spill over to other distributions as well, so any compatibility issue will automatically be resolved. Hopefully, by that time, the devs will have rewritten all of my favorite games so the'll run on Ubuntu, otherwise I'll just stick with XP. It's up to you.

What kind of crap is this? Sounds like someone is a little bit of a beggar.

Adamant1988
May 13th, 2007, 07:08 PM
http://roflcat.com/images/cats/270913946_efa38ec3d8.jpg

But no, seriously...

"posting in legendary thread"

For those of you who can't see the obvious satirical nature of this thread, please DIAF. :)

picpak
May 13th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I actually half agree with #3 and #6, but the rest? No way.

use a name
May 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Beans: 533
Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper User

And keep in mind posts in the cafe don't add to the bean count. ;)

maniacmusician
May 13th, 2007, 08:06 PM
The funniest part about sarcastic postings is really the users that post without realizing that it's a joke :) This whiole thread was a good laugh

mech7
May 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM
i agree partial to 5 not being logged in as root is more secure but having to type password 10x a day can get annoying :)

maniacmusician
May 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
i agree partial to 5 not being logged in as root is more secure but having to type password 10x a day can get annoying :)
it depends on what you value more. If you value the security, keep it the way that it is. If you'd rather have convenience, then you can get around it by adding your user to the "sudo" group.

of course, I heartily recommend against doing this. It's not a big deal as long as you keep a short, secure password.

JAPrufrock
May 13th, 2007, 08:43 PM
In my opinion sarcastic jokes like this one are in bad taste and a waste of time.

happy-and-lost
May 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
"2- Ubuntu should use NTFS as filesystem"
Wouldn't get very far without the facility to symlink ;)

"5- Always be root."
I dare you.

8 - Reboot and Defrag.
Why? Why reboot unless the Kernel's been upgraded? And why defrag, AFAIK Ext3 doesn't frag per se anyway?

How could they justify $50+ for a licence when (and let's face it, it's almost true) Debian does everything Ubuntu does free? Surely no-one would buy into it if they knew they could get a near identical alternative free?

Only needed if the stupid idea 5 were ever adopted. Which it won't. It's a stupid idea.

Lord Illidan
May 13th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I got halfway through...then I realised it was a joke...I hope :)

Nikron
May 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Wow, some people need to install their sarcam drivers, eh? Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

pirothezero
May 13th, 2007, 09:36 PM
meh

koenn
May 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Ok, so this was just
- sort of a rant - or my way of dealing with the annoyance of all those "let me tell you what Ubuntu should be" and "make it like windows" threads that I've been seeing all over the place lately. I needed an outlet, and this was it.

- sort of a joke, in that I don't really think these 'improvements' would improve anything. I'm glad to see that there were lots of "this can't be serious" reactions and people recognizing sarcasm/satire when they see it.

- at the same time, it's dead serious - for some people at least. Just about every 'improvement' I listed has been suggested and discussed at lenght, either in the Cafe or in the Gutsy Idea Pool. Here and there I added or rephrased a few things for reinforcement, but apart from that, it's real.

So, basically, one should switch XP with... XP? Well, yes, apparently there are people who expect Linux (or Ubuntu in particular) to be their free (as in beer) replacement for Windows, and what's more, they seem to consider every difference between Ubuntu and Windows (XP) as a failure on Ubuntu's part (or they try to disguise their inability to deal with the differences behind "suggestions to improve").
As if that's not enough, they seem convinced that they are entitled to have their wishes granted on simple request - al it takes is an "insightful" post on this forum (look here, here's what all those developers and users didn't realize up till now; let me tell you what's needed to make Ubuntu #1) to whip the devs back in to shape and get them to do some real work.

I still don't get where that comes from ... I can see how Linux is sometimes marketed as "Like windows, but cheaper" but I don't understand that attitude of "I got this for free, let me go tell them what I want next'.

goumples
May 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
No OS is perfect.. but Ubuntu gets enough stuff right so that whats left over isnt that big of a deal.

Wiebelhaus
May 13th, 2007, 10:11 PM
this has to be a joke..

eentonig
May 13th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I second the OP and want to add a few improvements.

1. No convert will take an OS serious that can be installed within <30' AND includes so much software. Ubuntu should include delays during installation, ask people randomly to press <ok> before continuing so that the whole installation process comes to at least 2h. And stop including so much usefull software!!!

2. Ubuntu should come with a coffeemachine, so users can enjoy a good cup of coffee while installing.

3. Ubuntu should also include a mechanisme to ad 5seconds with every consecutive reboot. People are used having to wait a long time before being productive in the morning. So they developped a whole set of social behaviors when they come in to the office each morning and start their pc. This should be maintained.

nubutu
May 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
>Nikron wrote:
>Wow, some people need to install their sarcasm drivers, eh?

I think they are in a beta version.

Sunflower1970
May 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM

I know this post wasn't supposed to be all that serious--a rant really, but I just had to comment, because I've thought about this..Recently, penguins have become THE hot item--a favorite character for animators and the public. March of the Penguins, Happy Feet, and another movie coming out this summer about a surfing penguin. They're everywhere. If anything, the time for Linux is now. Any kid who sees these kid movies and then sees Tux, they'll want it. They'll be interested in any computer program that is associated with the cute little guys. :)

the8thstar
May 13th, 2007, 10:52 PM
A fluffy peluche-type penguin then. Tux is just plain ugly! It looks like the unnatural son of a tuxedo and Donald Duck!!! :mad:

Extreme Coder
May 13th, 2007, 10:52 PM
@Sunflower1970: As long as it doesn't look like a BMP from 1985 :roll:

frodon
May 13th, 2007, 11:08 PM
This thread is one of the funniest one i've read there, thanks you for sharing the fun ;)

hobieone
May 13th, 2007, 11:21 PM
good one. sarted to read it was thinking who let a an under cover ms$ employee stealth post on the forums.

2 two main things i really see ubuntu needing impriovement on are actuallyimproving with every realease.

1. out of box compatibility. i have run linux on and off since mid 90's and this has come a long ways and i think it is getting better all the timetho not as fast some would think.

2. a unified easy way to install and remove software for linux distros in general that way software developer don't have to make the software with 10 different installers for 10 different distros for example.and with the partnership with freespire/linspire with thier new cnr.com i think it will make this come along way

evrything mentioned in the above joke microsft can keep!
i still dual boot with xp and probably wont us another ms$ os after xp myself and since i started messing around with linux again when dapper came out find myself spending more time using ubuntu. so it must be heading in the right direction. linux just grows on a person you can say:)

koenn
May 13th, 2007, 11:22 PM
A fluffy peluche-type penguin then. Tux is just plain ugly! It looks like the unnatural son of a tuxedo and Donald Duck!!! :mad:
I wasn't going to get into any discussion about to proposed improvements. As for Tux, from a marketing point of view : people "buy" distro's, not Linux. The brand names are Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu, ... and they all have their corporate logo. Let Tux be Tux.
For further discussion : there already is a thread on Tux' suitability as a Linux Logo (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=438064). I didn't make this up. :)
There's also a rumour that Tux actually is a girl ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=441227 ) - i don't know if it's related to the proposal of replacing it (her) (him).

But seriously, there may be a bit of thruth in each and every one of these socalled improvements. That isn't the point , and there are other threads where those "poposals" can be discussed ad infinitum.

nubutu
May 13th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I actually was looking for something else I read some time ago, but this one is probably as good:

http://www.ghs.com/linux/threat.html

It somehow brings me memories about that story of nazis operating from the Antarctica developing super weapons based upon the scalar electromagnetic theory...

rajeev1204
May 14th, 2007, 02:12 AM
This is probably spam from microsoft .

prizrak
May 14th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Without bothering to read the thread. There is no such thing on this planet that doesn't need some more work.

H.E. Pennypacker
May 14th, 2007, 04:57 AM
This deserves a ROFLMOAOMGROFLPONIES:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1108/lollercoasterjd2.th.gif (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lollercoasterjd2.gif)

But it is not worthy of my entire ROFLCOPTER collection.

SLA_leandrin
June 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM

I agree. But it must be quickly cracked by community.

5- Always be root.

Great Idea. Specially with my wife.

You forgot anti-spyware

8 - Reboot and Defrag.

Jejeje, this is, by far, the better idea. In a blue screen, if possible.

Why XP and not the awesome vista effects?