PDA

View Full Version : Will Pocket PCs be able to run Ubuntu Mobile?

wersdaluv
May 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I found out that Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded edition is announced.

Many Linux users have Pocket PCs for some reason, and I am one of them. I am still unable to sync my Pocket PC with Ubuntu, and it is a big deal for me.

Once Ubuntu Mobile Edition is out, will it be compatible with Pocket PCs? If not, with what will it be compatible with; Palm devices, cellphones, etc?

Enverex
May 13th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Probably not. Each PocketPC uses a firmware which is unique to that specific model of PocketPC which means a firmware (and loader) would need to be made for every single model of PocketPC available... which is rather hard to do, not to mention they all have different hardware.

wersdaluv
May 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM
So what devices will be able to run Ubuntu Mobile then?

Enverex
May 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM
So what devices will be able to run Ubuntu Mobile then?

EmbeddedUbuntu will initially cover ARM-based platforms, preferably with a LCD display. This includes ARM-based PDAs and Internet Tablets. Development is being done on the TI OMAP 5912 Starter Kit (see [WWW] http://tree.celinuxforum.org/CelfPubWiki/OSK for more information about this device).

Well PocketPCs are ARM, but how they intend to do this I'm not sure. Linux is only available for a few PDAs which people have hacked on and those don't work too well, so unless there are a LOT of people working on this project with a lot of resources I think it's going to be dead in the water. Let's hope not.

moffatt666
May 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I have read on the BBC News website that some new pocket pcs and smartphones are to be distributed with Ubuntu Mobile out of the box on a new Intel chip.

Jhongy
May 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I have read on the BBC News website that some new pocket pcs and smartphones are to be distributed with Ubuntu Mobile out of the box on a new Intel chip.

Yup, I think that is going to be the key -- finding vendors to ship Ubuntu already embedded -- not releasing something for hobbyists to hack onto their PDA (and be disappointed with).

I hope it gains acceptance with OEMs -- another battlefront for Ubuntu!

euler_fan
May 13th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Yup, I think that is going to be the key -- finding vendors to ship Ubuntu already embedded -- not releasing something for hobbyists to hack onto their PDA (and be disappointed with).

I hope it gains acceptance with OEMs -- another battlefront for Ubuntu!

I second that. I would really like to be able to sync with Ubuntu (preferably to Lightening/Sunbird, but one thing at a time). If it were possible for me to wipe out Windows mobile on by Dell Axim handheld and replace it with a fully functional install of Ubuntu Mobile I would be thrilled.

Steve H
May 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I have been asking about this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=410378) for some time.I really want to get Ubuntu Mobile on my IPAQ. I reckon it would definitely stop a lot of the syncing problems that a lot of us have been having.

Maybe once it is out more people will hack it for different models.

:)

tgm4883
July 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM
I have been asking about this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=410378) for some time.I really want to get Ubuntu Mobile on my IPAQ. I reckon it would definitely stop a lot of the syncing problems that a lot of us have been having.

Maybe once it is out more people will hack it for different models.

:)

I wonder how hard it would be. I can run debian on my ipaq, why not ubuntu?

cprofitt
July 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I wonder how hard it would be. I can run debian on my ipaq, why not ubuntu?

How did you get debian loaded on it? I would love to rebuild my Dell Axim with a Linux based mobile OS.

tgm4883
July 9th, 2007, 06:07 PM
How did you get debian loaded on it? I would love to rebuild my Dell Axim with a Linux based mobile OS.

I haven't done it in a while (read > 1 year) because I got a nice treo 650. I also misspoke, its debian based not debian. Although it is a full blown linux distro per the website. You do need a memory card though as it is quite large.

http://intimate.handhelds.org/index.html

ubermenschx
July 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM
That would be awsome. Although it would be better if I could reflash my Axim sucessfully with Ubuntu

euler_fan
July 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I second that. I would really like to be able to sync with Ubuntu (preferably to Lightening/Sunbird, but one thing at a time). If it were possible for me to wipe out Windows mobile on by Dell Axim handheld and replace it with a fully functional install of Ubuntu Mobile I would be thrilled.

+1 :)