PDA

View Full Version : Finally received my shipit cd's...

Ride Jib
June 25th, 2005, 01:17 AM
...now that I have no use for them...

I ordered these in February-ish, and they just came today. So, it took roughly 5 months for shipit to make it to the States. Guess I can try pushing Ubuntu on my friends who I really don't want to help with their problems. Or my parents who don't know what a mouse is (aside from the rodent).

Anyway.. just thought I would give a heads up on the wait time I had, so others might be able to guesstimate theirs.

supernaut
June 25th, 2005, 02:54 AM

I ordered these in February-ish, and they just came today. So, it took roughly 5 months for shipit to make it to the States. Guess I can try pushing Ubuntu on my friends who I really don't want to help with their problems. Or my parents who don't know what a mouse is (aside from the rodent).

Anyway.. just thought I would give a heads up on the wait time I had, so others might be able to guesstimate theirs.
I have no idea whether mine are coming or not. :( It doesn't look likely, although the Warty ones did.

Probably time to grab some blank CDRs and get downloading. ;)

The Gray Hat
June 25th, 2005, 07:09 AM
I got mine the other day in the mail, and I'm all the way down in Florida.

if you don't mind me being off topic for a moment:
Do I have to put in a new order once Breezy Badger comes out, or will they automatically be put on order?

qalimas
June 25th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I ordered mine sometime in late February, got them a week or so ago (in Louisiana)...... I had grown tired of it after two months and just downloaded the live iso and burned about 10 copies, so these CDs really hold nothing for me XD I'll probly donate them to a little local pc shop to hand out.

Brunellus
June 25th, 2005, 06:52 PM
I suspect Shipit is rapidly becoming a victim of its own success....

lotusleaf
June 26th, 2005, 01:52 AM

Maybe stop by your local public library(ies) with them and ask if they'd like them so people can check them out?

A bit off-topic: it would be interesting if there could be a grassroots project to get all libraries everywhere to carry Ubuntu install CDs.

m0biu5
June 26th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Maybe stop by your local public library(ies) with them and ask if they'd like them so people can check them out?

A bit off-topic: it would be interesting if there could be a grassroots project to get all libraries everywhere to carry Ubuntu install CDs.
That would be a very interesting project. Maybe offer live CD's for people to check it out? Oh, and don't forget to bring home your install CD! :)

sapo
June 26th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I live in South Africa, and still didn't get the discs.:mad: Just about given up on them...

i live in brazil and still nothing ](*,)

Braindead
June 27th, 2005, 02:24 AM
I live in Canada and still no cd. I'm afraid Breezy will be out by the time I get my cd's. Can't complain though, it's free.

WildTangent
June 27th, 2005, 02:56 AM
i ordered more than 6 weeks ago, and still no CDs

-Wild

Ride Jib
June 27th, 2005, 05:24 AM
i ordered more than 6 weeks ago, and still no CDs

-Wild

:-P did you miss the part where i said 5 months to get mine? lol...

I wouldn't expect them any time soon

sapo
June 27th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Today is a happy day.. my 10 Ubuntu cds arrived here in brazil.. i ll start spreading it to my friends :D

kewa
June 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM
My CDs arrived Lichfield UK this morning (28 June). :) Thanks a lot to everyone concerned for sending the CDs.

Ordered 30 April, shipping began 11 June. Hope this info helps others in UK who ordered around the same time.

Right this is where the fun starts. Going to psych myself up for my very first go at installing a Linux distro. Wish me luck and I'm sure I'll be back very soon asking really stupid questions but please be patient.

sapo
June 28th, 2005, 11:37 AM
My CDs arrived Lichfield UK this morning (28 June). :) Thanks a lot to everyone concerned for sending the CDs.

Ordered 30 April, shipping began 11 June. Hope this info helps others in UK who ordered around the same time.

Right this is where the fun starts. Going to psych myself up for my very first go at installing a Linux distro. Wish me luck and I'm sure I'll be back very soon asking really stupid questions but please be patient.

I think that the make some kind of "batch" for each country at time.. cause me and my friends we all received in the same week here in brazil.. and some of them asked for the cds 2 weeks after me...

Ride Jib
June 28th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure about batched by country, but definitely some type of batch production , IMO.

But, it's good to see people are finally receiving their cd's.

kostkon
June 28th, 2005, 01:37 PM
It took about 2 months to get my CDs. I don't know why, but from my experience I saw that if you are in Europe you get your CDs much faster. My CDs came from Netherlands (Holland).

What do you think?

jeremy
June 28th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I still haven't got mine, ordered in late March. Oh well, I still might get them before breezy comes out!

rum beverage
June 29th, 2005, 02:05 PM
:-P did you miss the part where i said 5 months to get mine? lol...

I wouldn't expect them any time soon
Ok, first off, the reason it took 5 months is because you ordered after the cutoff for Warty (I think) so you then needed to wait until the shipment of Hoary cds went out. Which I'm guessing is just in the last month or so. I haven't recieved mine yet, but I got my Warty CDs sometime back in December.

MemoryDump
June 29th, 2005, 02:10 PM
got mine on June 17th up here in Canada (4hrs north of Toronto) I placed my order when the latest version was made available. Took a while but it's still worth it.. come on.. it's FREE!!

-MD :p

Degnaw
July 2nd, 2005, 08:33 PM
got mine today (july 2). Details:

Ordered april 25
sent out 6/11
postmarked from netherlands
live in NY, USA
9 cds (8 x86 and 1 ppc)

(this msg written in Ubuntu)
:razz:

Lovechild
July 3rd, 2005, 12:24 AM
Just got mine today, 10x i386, 5x AMD64 and 5x PPC - time to throw these in peoples faces.

Degnaw
July 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
time to throw these in peoples faces.
:neutral: was going to, but unfortunately school ended a week ago ( :mad: + :) ) and i cant distribute them

elfece
July 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM
I ordered some ubuntu CD's and in the shipit page it says that they were mailed a month ago, and i still waiting them, but there is my question, i want to give ubuntu's to all my firends, but very soon is going to be released breezy, and i know that some things that you install needs the CD, so, if they install ubuntu hoary and a month later is released breezy, would then be able to update ubuntu with a dist-upgrade and still using the hoary CD? or they will need to download the new breezy cd? because if they can't use them when breezy is going to be released, i think i should wait and order breezy CD's when they're out and give them to my friends, but i have alredy ordered a lot of hoary's!!!
Sorry for my english!! :D

jatos
July 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM
My CD's have finally arrived, took AT LEAST 8 months to arrive, well before Hoary was released. Though it was kinda a nice surprise finally having these CD's arrive and getting the latest version, I must admit I was too much of a fan of warty - I had too many problems with it, though one thing, I am glad about the kubuntu release- the amount of time I spent trying to get to KDE onto warty...

Sorry if I rattle on a bit btw...

sunshine12
July 22nd, 2005, 04:50 AM
Hi all,
I live in India and got cd from ubuntu in 30days....
Thanks

Omnios
July 22nd, 2005, 05:12 AM
Ordered mine about a month or so before the official release and recieved my 5 disks about 3 or 4 months later in Canada. Guess it counts on when you order them as the orders pile up it takes longer to get yours out of the disk distro. Anyways I ended up downloading the iso anyways as I could not wait but now I have a backup as one was cooked in the cd rom and others given out to family and friends. Next time im ordering 20 to hand out.

KrisDwyer
July 22nd, 2005, 05:28 AM
My Question, as i am not abusing the shipit service, um... does every new release bring about a new shipment of it to you if your using the shipit cds?

benplaut
July 22nd, 2005, 06:59 AM
still none :(

jatos
July 22nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
Guess it counts on when you order them as the orders pile up it takes longer to get yours out of the disk distro.

I think depends more on which country your in - I ordered mine earlier than quite a few people here and I have only just received mine.