PDA

View Full Version : new ubuntu

Gothy
May 12th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I have just ordered my new copy of ubuntu.

Have they perfeccted the wireless internet yet?

THe version i used to run, was useless at it, no wirelss at all.
does it work now. or is their free software to be able to run the orignal drivers?

Rhox
May 12th, 2007, 11:03 PM
is their free software to be able to run the orignal drivers?

usually

bapoumba
May 12th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Really depends on your hardware.
i've got a PCMCIA wireless card that works out of the box since breezy (before, I have not idea, as I got it when running breezy. May be working since warty).

Tundro Walker
May 12th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I don't use wireless with Ubuntu. But, from surfing the forums I'd say it's half-n-half. Some folks with wireless say they didn't have any problems with Feisty...in fact Feisty fixed their wireless problems. Other folks are still having wireless problems. (Just look in the Absolute Beginners forum, and you'll see that that's true).

Vaelrith
May 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Mine didn't work out of box, but after searching the forums for my wireless card I found a HOWTO that fixed it pretty quickly and easily.

jimrz
May 13th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I have just ordered my new copy of ubuntu.

Have they perfeccted the wireless internet yet?

THe version i used to run, was useless at it, no wirelss at all.
does it work now. or is their free software to be able to run the orignal drivers?

what wifi card make/model/chipset are you using. without this info you cannot expect anyone to be able to give any real answer. you might also try searching these forums for "your wifi card by name etc" and so what experiences others have had and how they were able to resolve problems, if indeed they encountered any

Gothy
May 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM
ok I have a;

Belkin wireless usb hub.
125MBPs high speed
802.11g

model number;
not sure isnt on the device or box!

part number:
F5D7051uk

does that help!
This ddnt work on my previous version of ubuntu
will it work on the new one easily!

maniacmusician
May 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I doubt it. Belkin loves to use Broadcom chipsets which are notorious for linux support.