PDA

View Full Version : fantastic news - the first UBUNTU ROMANTIC COMEDY

Korrontean
May 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Check it out, in Spanish:

http://www.elmundo.es/navegante/2007/05/12/tecnologia/1178968896.html?a=0135fb0593847e42067c526cd9742259&t=1178998977

Sometimes I am VERY proud to be Basque.

Long life to Ubuntu! :guitar:

lluisanunez
May 12th, 2007, 09:52 PM
:)
There is an English translation, and photos, here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7813601@N06/473535499/

Tundro Walker
May 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
A sure-fire way to attract attention to Ubuntu...

...make it seem hip, cutting-edge, art-house, indie...everything folks think is "cool" today.

We would delude ourselves to think folks are not some-what, if not very , superficial at times. Folks go to car shows, they like how nice the cars look. A lot of folks buy a car just for how it looks. People hit on other people, because of how they look (IE: "hawt"). We are, at our very nature, superficial to begin with. And, once the looks attract, the depth can be explored.

So, while I personally don't use Compiz, because I feel it's a big waste of resources, I think it was one of the best things they could have added in Feisty. The sheer "flashy" value alone has attracted tons of folks. And, with more and more art-house, avant-garde and hip stuff like this coming out freely promoting Ubuntu...things will take off more and more.

If I was Mark Shuttleworth, I'd devote at least 20% resources (art crew, developer time, etc) to new, cutting-edge "glitz" each distro. Stuff you can show off at trade-shows and demo's. I don't mean for them to get nit-picky and create special themes and such...fans will take care of that. I just mean implementing new "glitzy" stuff in a very usable way, so Ubuntu has more flashy bells and whistles on it, and looks so high-tech and futuristic that it'll turn heads. Some of us (myself included) think it's a waste of time, but it gets peoples attention, and that's what you have to do to get their foot in your door. WIth new foundations, fans will roll with new applets, widgets and what-not, and create more themes, and other "kewl" looking stuff to show how it would look all high-techy, or gothy, or "leet", etc.

I think the next "glitzy" killer app to add to Ubuntu would be a perfected 3d file system browser. You know, that zoom in/out stuff you always see in movies. They have a few of these in the repo's, but they're kinda lame and not very functional. What if they had something that was as functional as nautilus, but was all cool and movie-like.... You hovering a mile over your file system...you click on /home, and it zooms in in about a second, showing variuos icons and such in a cool fashion. You click on other things, and they zoom in further. You want to go back, and it zooms out quickly, but "kewly". This would be complete dog & pony glitz that most users would turn off since its just a waste of resources. But, if it was something Vista or Mac couldn't do, and it seemed "kewl" and futuristic, it would be another piece of bling folks would latch on to and promote Ubuntu with.

Of course, you don't want Ubuntu to seem like it's all show with no blow. So naturally, the other 80% of paid resources would be devoted to bug-fixed, increased usability, refined programs that are actually useful, etc (you know, stuff folks would actually use on a day to day basis).

If they could also develop a program that would allow you to have physical sex with your computer...that would be THE "killer app" to make Ubuntu/Linux spring to the top!

Make it so! (LOL!)

Korrontean
May 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I found your post very funny :) , Tundro Walker, but it is not very related to the news!

One thing is Ubuntu, and its development, and something different is a few guys actually making a movie ABOUT Ubuntu. I mean, something as superficial as a romantic comedy :popcorn: shouldn't affect Ubuntu's development at all.

About Ubuntu being cool or not, and its influence on its popularity, I'd agree that yes, when I first had an Ubuntu (actually it was Kubuntu) CD in my hands, I really liked how it looked: cool, clean, modern and PROFESSIONAL. I think that I would not have dared to install it on my laptop if it was, for instance, a CD burnt by a friend :( .

So 1) I think it's definitely good news to see Ubuntu entering the popular culture
2) I think that Ubuntu needs to look cool and clean (not flashy) to gain popularity. And its actually gaining popularity because it DOES look cool and clean.

What do you think?

Miguel
May 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Korrontean;2653013 I mean, something as superficial as a romantic comedy... [/QUOTE]

In my opinion, the three things that move the world are love, power and knowledge. So a romantic comedy needn't be superficial, or at least that' s my view. I was also close to put sex as the fourth motivator, but that's either genetical or included in power (like money).

On a less serious note, seeing as Izaro (emphasis on the "a", which is bad in the newspaper) is basqe, Billy shouldn't put high hopes on that relationship. I'm half basque and live there, so I should know! Just joking.

Gero arte!! (which means see you in basque)

Korrontean
May 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM
:lolflag: I thought I'd never end up reading about Basque people's difficulties with relationships in the Ubuntu forum. :lolflag:
Well, I am big cinema lover and I think romantic comedies are usually superficial (wich doesn't mean they're necessarily bad). There could be exceptions like Amelie (is it one) or The Apartment, I guess.

Long life to Ubuntu :guitar:

MonkeyBoy
May 14th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I love the way open source development occasionally spawns something completely out of the blue that I would never have expected in a million years!

I can't wait to watch it...