PDA

View Full Version : Post your forum suggestions..

Pages : 1 [2]

ubuntu-geek
June 20th, 2006, 03:30 PM
A way of indicating in a thread title whether the issue is solved (with respect to the poster), without closing the thread. Gentoo sort of do this, however it isn't terribly successful. Perhaps we could do better?
This is something we have on our todo list..

richbarna
June 23rd, 2006, 01:03 AM
This is something we have on our todo list..

Maybe this ? :-

Hi everyone,

I started a thread about new users using their sig to help eachother,
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200626

and as usual the ideas developed and suggetions developed. and quite rightly Manicka suggested that the ideas should be posted here as they were now forum-related not sig-related.

Anyway here was a kind of joint idea that "dvarsam" and myself kind of thought up between us :-
Quote:
Quote:
Another problem is that some people get their solution and don't come back and post to say that it has worked (not even a small thank you ), so sometimes I find myself looking for threads (the "help me" variety) to see if they got their solution or not.

Maybe the forum staff could put a "solved" button, so you click and then a little green tick appears on the thread (in place of the usual exclamation or question mark icon). That way when we are out searching for problems to solve, we can ignore the ones that have a green tick on them.

This is another fantastic idea!!!

The author of the Thread could click on the button named "solved" & instead of the usual "envelope" icon we currently see on the Beginners Forum (placed on the left-side of each new thread), the "solved" icon could show (maybe a green checkmark), which means that any person performing a "search" for his problem, will go ahead & read only the Threads that have been "solved"!

And thus:

Anybody who is looking for a solution to his problem, will always want to read the "solved" threads (hoping that he will also solve his "similar" problem).

And at the same time:

Anybody who is willing to provide help, will always want to provide help in "unsolved" threads!

Fantastic idea man!

Again, the question is:

Quote:
How can we tell the Moderators of these nice ideas, so that hopefully they will go ahead & implement these?

So that was the basic idea, maybe somebody from the forum staff could let us know what you think?

nixternal
June 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
jedthehumanoid had the suggestion I was looking for, and really want. It is where you can view threads that have yet been replied to. This is helpful on those of us trying to offer support as soon as possible, so new users don't get discouraged by not getting an answer quickly.

In order to try and stop the new guys from getting discouraged, I have started posting something to let them know, hey I may not know how to help you here, but someone will be along shortly to help you, and in the mean time check out these links (links i found researching their problem).

but having a link where we can view unposted to threads would be great. thanks!!!

EDIT: <- e.tard on board. First time I click the Search button in the upper task bar, low and behold, my request is right in front of me...Sorry for this retarded post !!! Have a good day everyone!!!

Rui Pais
July 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
Hi, i don't read the all thread so i don't know if i repeat something. Please excuse me if thats the case.

There is one thing I find very annoying in the 'Reply to Thread' page.
The 'Additional Options' tab appears in before the 'Topics Review' and should be the other way around.
Aditional options usually are not used on a per-reply base, and block the view of the previous posts where a lot of times are fundamental elements to include on our answers or when the reply is directly for the last post, the first listed on 'Topic Review'.

Any possibility that this may be changed?
Thanks.

adam.tropics
July 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
On the left click menu found when you click on a message posters name, would it be possible to have 'view users pics in gallery' option? (or something!)

adam.tropics
July 10th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Also on the same menu, I think the users home page should open in a new window as external links in posts do. Sorry I know you're all very busy!

benplaut
July 12th, 2006, 10:23 PM
i really don't like this new format of user-info-on-the-top. There's a reason the majority of forums in the world have it on the left -- consistency. Also, on one line posts, it looks really bad...

ubuntu-geek
July 12th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Sorry, its the default view in VB and we are going to keep it..

matthew
July 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Thank you all for your kind suggestions and great input. This thread is now going to be closed. See here for details (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=214495).