PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu-Feisty Fawn???

6Realms
May 12th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Hi, Everybody! I've written this once already, but I think I hit the wrong button, cause I can't find it, so if you come across it, I apologize for it. I would like to ask anybody, for the meaning of "Launchpad, [also] "Live Disk", "Grub" and I came across a site that offers, "Live linux Online Courses", is there a "Live Online Course", for learning, Ubuntu & Feisty Fawn? I've come to know and realize the importance of, Linux and the relationship with Ubuntu. I intend to put, "Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn" which arrived today, on it's very own 200GB internal HD, hoping, from some pf the advise I've been receiving that it will be totally "Microsoft Free". Thank you very much for all of your input, I find it to be of great value . Sincerely, 6Realms

phiphedog
May 12th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Hey, I can answer a few of your questions. A live disk is a disk which you can boot from and load up Ubuntu and try it out without touching your hard disk. The operating system runs in memory. GRUB stands for Grand Unified Boot Loader and is a small program which manages which operating system to boot and in what mode (single user/recovery mode/multiple user). I have completed a course through seek learning www.seeklearning.com, it was a bit outdated i.e. it focused on RedHat but it certainly tought me the basics of Linux.

saphil
May 12th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Since you have the "live disk" you can insert it and reboot, and voila! you are running Ubuntu... without having to install at all. It is a bit slower than running from the hard drive. It is a way to get a feel for the OS and help you find ways to do things with it. I use live-disk Ubuntu at school, since i don't want to use the windows machines in the lab without protection from all the spyware and stuff (not to mention that students are always playing with lab-computer configuration as part of learning about them).

Welcome to the family!

steven8
May 12th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Do not be afraid when you boot the live disc, as it will say "Start/Install Ubuntu" - selecting this will merely start Ubuntu. The option to install it will be on the desktop of the running OS. Welcome to the ubuntu community!

6Realms
May 12th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Thank you, "Thank You"! One of these days, maybe I'll start getting it together. Sounds like you have a lot of surprises and challenges at school. Sincerely, 6
realms [I dare not ask how this happened] I've set my mind to learning, Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn.

saphil
May 12th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I just found a "free Linux course by email" Have you seen this one? I guess I will sign up. :-) http://www.suseblog.com/ (http://www.suseblog.com/) Look down the left side to sign up. I could do one for Ubuntu, if somebody hasn't already got it.

6Realms
May 16th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone to your replies and "links" to follow-up on. Why can't I just click, "quick reply" to respond to some of the posts? The "Words are there", but it won't allow to, "Quick Reply"? Sincerely, 6Realms

steven8
May 16th, 2007, 05:16 AM
In the bottom right hand corner of each post is a little graphic with a crooked arrow. Click that button to make the quick reply box active. Then type in what you wish to say and click 'Post Quick Reply'. :)

6Realms
May 16th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Thank You "Very" much. 6Realms

steven8
May 16th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Thank You "Very" much. 6Realms

You're welcome. Took me a bit to figure it out meself! :popcorn:

DoctorMO
May 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I never figured it out.