PDA

View Full Version : Any One in New Mexico planning to post to this forum?

dthomasdigital
May 12th, 2007, 03:08 AM
So let's post.

merlinus
May 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
OK. I am posting.

If anyone lives near Santa Fe and is of a mind to help, I can sure use some assistance with getting Ubuntu to recognize and load my cd-burner.

I would also be interested in meeting local Ubuntu users in-person.

Many thanks!

-merlin

dthomasdigital
May 13th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Were working on having in person meetings but right now were having trouble getting people juts to commit to signing up for the New Mexico Team.

I'd be glad to help with your cd-burner problem, can I get some details like make and model?

merlinus
May 13th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Hi, and thanks for your response. I posted this problem on the Ubuntu hardware forum and also at Launchpad, but no solutions so far.

I have a Plextor Plexwriter 24/10/40A, which is listed as being compliant with Ubuntu.

Feisty recognizes my DVD-ROM player, but not the cd burner, which is a separate drive.

The only entry in etc/fstab for this kind of device is:
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I have tried adding similar lines such as /dev/scd and dev/scd1, but get error messages that there are no such devices.

In /media there is cdrom listed, but it is only a link to folder cdrom0. /dev/cdrom properties says link to block device scd0.

I would be most grateful for any assistance.

Also, perhaps you can give me some details about what is involved in signing up for the NM team.

Many thanks!

-merlin

dthomasdigital
May 14th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Well, I'm glad to try and help, after all that is what Ubuntu is all about.
I'm currently looking into your problem and your right Ubuntu should be compatible with your burner. Have you ever updated the firm ware on this device? I'll keep looking until we get it going.

The best way to join the team is.

Next go here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam follow the link to the mailing list and add yourself to the mailing list.

The next thing to do is register at Launchpad https://launchpad.net/ once you have registered go here to join Team New Mexico https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-newmexico

Go to http://myweb.cableone.net/dthomas check out the links and contact section for other places to go.

Hope you join, and like I said if we can get the membership and interest up we will have in-person meetings.

merlinus
May 14th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Hi, and thanks very, very much for your assistance. I have not upgraded any firmware for the cd-burner.

Sad to say, it works perfectly with Windows 2000, which is the only reason I have kept a dual-boot with Ubuntu.

Is there a terminal command that might give more information on whether it is a master or slave, or its own device entirely?

I have already signed up at launchpad, and am on the nm ubuntu mailing list, although I have not received anything other than the welcome message.

Anything else?

-merlin

dthomasdigital
May 15th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Have you thought about a clean install of Ubuntu?

merlinus
May 15th, 2007, 08:03 PM
After all my customizations, etc.? No thanks!

Besides, there are a number of other forum members who are experiencing the same problem, with a variety of cd drives.

Interestingly, though, booting from the Knoppix live cd finds and mounts everything correctly, even my now never-used zipdrive. Booting from the Ubuntu live cd does not. So if that does not find and load my burner, why would a fresh install do anything different?

And the fact that the forum moderators have not responded to anyone posting about this issue makes me think it is a known bug in Feisty that will hopefully be fixed in Gutsy.

But perhaps there is some CLI command that will force Feisty to look for and mount drives?

Thanks anyway.

-merlin

dthomasdigital
May 16th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Well I will not give up on your issue, I'm going to keep looking and looking. A fix is out there.

cmprather
May 16th, 2007, 04:30 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice to see some peeps in NM using Ubuntu. i just upgraded from 6.10 to 7.04 today; kinda HAD to, as i got 6.10 out of whack while trying to update my Intel i915 video display. 7.04 doesn't do much better of a job with the graphics (trying to get 1440x900 out of it) but it's still better than using *******.

i'm gonna go post a question on Automatix on why my upgrade won't work (www.getautomatix.com), just wanted to say hello all since the subject line asked for it!

*YAY* Linux!!! i look forward to a Santa Fe Users Group sometime in the near future!!!

c-

dthomasdigital
May 16th, 2007, 04:34 AM
fantastic, you got to join team New Mexico...come one come all

dthomasdigital
June 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM
This is sad, you mean I'm the only person in New Mexico using Ubuntu?

Roger Gundberg
November 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM
No. me too !
Roger-Socorro

dthomasdigital
November 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Glad to see others on the forums

GrammatonCleric
November 28th, 2007, 01:15 AM
It is alive!!! =)

-GC

jimrz
November 28th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Hi all ... still here, guess I don't check this section often enough, though I am on the forums pretty regularly.

@merlinus -

Have you tried copying the fstab line for your burner from knoppix and adding it to your feisty fstab? Probaby a long long shot, but forcing it to at least look for it could produce something. If yo give it a try, make CERTAIN that you backup your current fstab BEFORE attempting to edit.

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab-bak
That way, if it makes a mess you can boot recovery mode and reverse the process to get your current fstab back ... no harm, no foul

chrinabuntu
July 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hey everyone! I live in Alabama at the moment, and have been a member of the Alabama group for some time, but I am about to make a move to Albuquerque, NM, and would like to know if there is anyone in the ABQ area? It would be cool to meet some other Ubuntu folks...but I think it will be sometime in August before I get out there.

I started out in Ubuntu when Gutsy was the new thing...and now I've been running with Hardy for a while. I never did make the move to Intrepid for some reason, but I am about to jump to Jaunty. I tried it out on the live CD and it was awesome...and finally my wireless 'just worked' on my laptop!

Also...I have found that Ubuntu/Linux is more 'guy world', but I am a chick. Just wanted to point that out in case there are any other female Ubuntu users out there. That would be cool too! ;O)

I look forward to chatting with and possibly meeting some of y'all!

Chris

chrinabuntu
July 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Wow...I didn't realize no one has posted since '07! Now I'm sad!

Come on folks...wake up! ;O)

dthomasdigital
July 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Don't be to sad, we have a very robust Ubuntu group in New Mexico and LUG's all over the place. Your right are biggest fault is the forum. We have so much going on everywhere but here.

here is our wiki
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam

We meet every Tuesday on IRC so come by.

Also we will be having a convention and expo in December, hope you can make it.

http://www.newmexicognulinuxfest.org/

Talk at you soon....David

KegHead
July 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi!

I'm not from NM, but it's one of the coolest places Ive visited.

I've been to ABQ and Santa Fe.

I missed the tram in ABQ-maybe next time.

If I ever move from the Land Of Lincoln-NM would be on my list.

KegHead

GrammatonCleric
July 11th, 2009, 11:39 PM
damn that identi.ca and twitter! =)

Howdy and welcome!

Wow...I didn't realize no one has posted since '07! Now I'm sad!

Come on folks...wake up! ;O)

maskanh
January 6th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I have a Plextor Plexwriter 24/10/40A, which is listed as being compliant with Ubuntu.

Feisty recognizes my DVD-ROM player, but not the cd burner, which is a separate drive.

The only entry in etc/fstab for this kind of device is:
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I have tried adding similar lines such as /dev/scd and dev/scd1, but get error messages that there are no such devices.

Objekt
March 9th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Yes, I post often.

Naturally, I cannot get to the NM LUG website at work. They block just about anything useful. From that I expect a lot of your can guess where I work.

vrkalak
May 12th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I'm here.

Been using Ubuntu/Xubuntu/LinuxMint/Crunchbang for over a year now.

I'm an Xfce fanatic.

Live in Santa Fe and work in Albuquerque.

Nxion
May 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Ill post as much as possible. Had some external issues that took up a lot of my time lol butI'm back now!

GrammatonCleric
May 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I'd post to this more... but I have a job...and a twitter account.

=P

-GC

Objekt
May 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm amazed this forum is even accessible where I work. They like to block most things that are even remotely interesting.

GrammatonCleric
May 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'm amazed this forum is even accessible where I work. They like to block most things that are even remotely interesting.

Damn those IT people, like me! =)

Or better, damn those auditors that make us filter.

-GC

Objekt
May 13th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Don't misunderstand, I have NO problem with blocking stupid crap like Facebook, MySpace (the seedy boardwalk of the Internet), and other "social networking" (read: timewasting). Or bandwidth-eating things like YouTube and Flash video in general. And I wish I had such good antispam/phishing protection at home. Our office Exchange server blocks or strips just about anything that could possibly be dangerous. If it were my network, I sure wouldn't want people clogging the tubes with that stuff.

It does get a bit tiresome when I'm trying to research something for work, and find half the Google results blocked for no particular reason. 99% of the blocked site pages give no reason for blocking. We're almost operating on a whitelist model here.

corvus85
May 24th, 2010, 05:34 PM
guess i'm way late to the party

GrammatonCleric
May 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Better late then never. =)

corvus85
May 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
very true

chrinabuntu
March 12th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Don't be to sad, we have a very robust Ubuntu group in New Mexico and LUG's all over the place. Your right are biggest fault is the forum. We have so much going on everywhere but here.

here is our wiki
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam

We meet every Tuesday on IRC so come by.

Also we will be having a convention and expo in December, hope you can make it.

http://www.newmexicognulinuxfest.org/

Talk at you soon....David

Gosh David...thanks for the reply! Now I'm the one who waited forever between posts! I'm here now but kind of forgot about the forum and never followed thru. But I'm back in the swing of things now. It would be cool to meet some folks! Are y'all still having meetings and stuff? I noticed some of the folks are pretty spread out. It would be hard to meet somewhere accessible to all in person.

And vrkalak, do you really commute from SF to the Q every day? Yikes! I couldn't do that!

Hey, are any of y'all using Maverick? I just posted under another thread about it so I don't want to post it all over the place, but was wondering what other folks' opinions are. I usually end up having issues after upgrading, so I was resisting this one, but was kind of reading around the internet to see what folks were saying, and then I just decided I might as well do it. I haven't had time to really see many differences, but in my case that's good...means nothing seems to be broken! *so far!* I know the photo viewer app is different...but I don't know what else really.

Chris