PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence

Rhox
May 12th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Modesty aside, would you consider yourself smarter then 50% of the people on this forum?

diskotek
May 12th, 2007, 03:03 AM
may be or may be not, but it's not the real deal here.

Kingsley
May 12th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Smarter according to what?

Nikron
May 12th, 2007, 03:18 AM
So, what happens if we get more than 50 percent yes? We prove that we're all gigantic biggots? Mean poll =P

saphil
May 12th, 2007, 03:28 AM
"Lake Woebegone effect" .. and all the children are above average..
Ha Ha Ha.
I am certainly more knowledgeable than the people whose questions I can answer.. at least until I answer them. "Smarter than" assumes a great deal.

reclusivemonkey
May 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Well when I looked 60% of people think they are smarter than 50% of people on the forums so I reckon about 10% of them are lying or deluded ;-)

steven8
May 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
huh?

saphil
May 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Well when I looked 60% of people think they are smarter than 50% of people on the forums so I reckon about 10% of them are lying or deluded :wink:

Probably the percentage of people who "think" they are smarter than the average person is even higher. Average being arbitrarilly 100 on an IQ test. Being smarter than everybody you see on the street seems easier than here. Here, the average IQ is very high, so they are probably mistaken.

jfinkels
May 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM
What does "smarter" mean?

Sorry for refusing to respond to this poll; I'm going back to helping people.

proalan
May 12th, 2007, 07:31 PM
hmm someone is stirring the pot, trying to disturb the peace

josephus
May 12th, 2007, 07:34 PM
So, what happens if we get more than 50 percent yes? We prove that we're all gigantic biggots? Mean poll =P

Not necessarily, this poll doesn't represent the entire forum.

Rhox
May 12th, 2007, 08:01 PM
"Lake Woebegone effect" .. and all the children are above average..
Ha Ha Ha.
I am certainly more knowledgeable than the people whose questions I can answer.. at least until I answer them. "Smarter than" assumes a great deal.

Yep, I always find it really funny. I guess I'm just weird.

EdThaSlayer
May 12th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I think I'm pretty dumb. There you go, the harsh real truth. Even though I can program a bit in python, know how to edit my source file and edit things here and there.

public_void
May 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I thought this was a useful quote from the first chapter of this book, Introducing artificial intelligence (http://isbndb.com/d/book/introducing_artificial_intelligence.html)

In everyday usage 'intelligence' and its derivations are familiar words: it is rarely ambiguous to declare that this or that person is intelligent, or that intelligence is a desirable human characteristic. But when we try to define 'intelligence' we find that the concept becomes elusive. Its it concerned with manipulation of numbers, words or other symbols? Is it related to practical action in the world? Does it bear on creativity and invention? Do we find intelligence in mental activity or in effective behaviour? And how is intelligence related to such phenomena as willing, learning, remembering and emotion?

So what do you mean by intelligence?

Ireclan
May 12th, 2007, 08:56 PM
This poll appears to be an attempt at "stirring the pot", so to speak...

Having said this, I know I'm not smarter than 50% of the people on this forum. I run across posts talking about things I don't completely understand all the time.

Rhox
May 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I thought this was a useful quote from the first chapter of this book, Introducing artificial intelligence (http://isbndb.com/d/book/introducing_artificial_intelligence.html)

So what do you mean by intelligence?

I assume that people will look at it as the frequency of be right and/or the ability to create useful ideas or improve them. Besides, it is suppose to depend on the voters perspective.

happy-and-lost
May 12th, 2007, 10:12 PM
According to some ALIS test, I'm in the 97th percentile for intelligence, and according to Mensa my IQ is 135... that still doesn't mean I can get a basic grasp on many things *cough*definite integration*ahem*

karellen
May 12th, 2007, 10:24 PM
how am I suppose to know that?

mills
May 12th, 2007, 10:33 PM
i dont understand the question ](*,) :P

Rhox
May 12th, 2007, 10:33 PM
how am I suppose to know that?

Typically people ascribe traits to others.

karellen
May 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Typically people ascribe traits to others.

I'd rather not...

Rhox
May 12th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I'd rather not...

Everyone does it to some extent.

Tundro Walker
May 12th, 2007, 10:44 PM
An intelligent person may answer that question...right or wrong. But a wise person wouldn't answer the question at all.