PDA

View Full Version : Celibration of Developers

DoctorMO
May 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM
He there, there are a number of developers who I feel do so much work underneath and never really get credit; so I'm going to tell you all some of the developers who I admire from the floss world, most of whom are not big names:

Sascha Sommer - Without whom canon printer support would be much less
Stefan Dösinger - Has hauled the DirectX support of wine into a new age
Chris Frey - Barry developer has managed to give hope to those little blackberry devices

Who are your little heros of open source?

DoctorMO
May 12th, 2007, 04:57 AM
oh come on some of you must know who makes your software? or at least have benefited from the three people I mentioned?

gnomeuser
May 12th, 2007, 05:09 AM
David Zeuthen who develops HAL, without whom my (and your) desktop would suck. (Red Hat).
Ingo Molnar who's productivity in kernel space can only be ascribed to human cloning. (Red Hat).
Aaron Bockover who develops Banshee, best media player around (Novell).
Dave Reveman who develops Compiz, without whom my desktop would be a little less fun (Novell).
Fredrico Mena-Quintero who optimizes GNOME and GTK (Novell).
Adam Jackson, X.org superhero who's fixing the Radeon driver for me (Red Hat)
Stephane Marchesin who develops the Nouveau driver and double as all round good guy (n/a)

and many many more.. so many hardcore people developing Free Software, I'm lucky enough to deal with many of them on a daily basis.

PatrickMay16
May 12th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Alexander Larsson, who did some work on nautilus, is a cool guy.
I'd like to give a shout out to R. Belmont who ported Audio Overload to linux, a program for playing several different video game music formats.

I don't know them by name, but I'd like to thank everyone who worked on KDE, GNOME, etc, and all the other software I use, like mplayer, xterm, eog, etc.

DoctorMO
May 12th, 2007, 05:21 AM
David Zeuthen who develops HAL, without whom my (and your) desktop would suck

HALs a great tool, not quite complete though yet. although I admire the tenacity of David.

Lucifiel
May 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Hmmm... don't know any names but really, all those who worked on software like Gimp, Konqueror, etc., all receive my thanks(no matter how bitchy some of you are). :p

jiminycricket
May 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Richard Hughes for responding to my silly GNOME power manager bugs
Ben Collins for the Ubuntu kernel
Developers of r300 and nouveau
Paul Davis for starting jack and Ardour.

...I don't really know about many upstream developers otherwise though, other than the famous ones. Is there anything like a behindgnome? I know KDE has their series of that.

bastiegast
May 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM
The bearded pipe smoking french guy Michel Xhaard who wrote linux drivers for 235 webcams!

Miguel
May 12th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Hehe, this will be a bit different than yours. All the people behind quantum-espresso ([url]http://www.pwscf.org[/url)], wich is the package I use the most for my calculations.

prizrak
May 12th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I dunno any names but they are all awesome and without them I'd be on Windows (NOO!!!!