PDA

View Full Version : Approved status update

bfledderjohn
May 11th, 2007, 05:25 PM
It looks like we aren't in a position to get approved until we have a listserv (or whatever) set up. I dont think that Jono thinks that we can be viable without it. :-(

I did explain how many members we have (39), the three events that we have planned, and the organizational strides we are making, and he hasn't responded yet to that.... There are a couple of options we need to review before we go further. We can bull forward and try to do it without the mailing list, we can wait for the mailing list, or we can set up our own mailing list somewhere else.

Opinions, please!

lamalex
May 11th, 2007, 05:32 PM
haha thats pretty ironic. How long until the mailing list is set up? It should be soon shouldn't it? Let's set a waiting date. If it's not up by next week we'll start our own. I should be able to set one up here so it'll be an @meetlinux.com listserv if that's good for everyone.

jsma
May 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Are there any sort of requirements on the mailing list, or do we just have to have some official communication channel? I've found google groups to be very useful and use a private group for internal discussions at the organization I work for. It's great because google takes care of all the hosting and administrative setup. Don't know if this will be an acceptable option or not, but thought I'd put it out there.

bfledderjohn
May 12th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I am sure it would be fine. So would IamAlex's option. The thing that I think is important is being on an Ubuntu hosted mailing list for two reasons.
1. Branding and continuity.
2. So that people looking through official Ubuntu areas can find our mailing list as easily as possible.

There really isn't any other advantage than that I think.

Vorian
May 12th, 2007, 12:56 AM
The key things Jono looks for are 1.) resources (irc, launchpad, mailing list, forum, and a sweet wiki page) 2. A road map of what your team's objectives are 3. Is the team active (the benchmark is 3 team activities.

Once you get the thumbs up from Jono, you have to be interviewed by the Community Council. (that's a blast! here are the logs from the Ohio Team interview LOGS (http://vorian.org/?p=12)

There are several people (hint, hint) who are more than happy to help you get to where you need to be. From what I see, you are not far off :)

Keep rocking!
:guitar:

bfledderjohn
May 12th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Vorian,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. It bears mentioning that you mentored me on setting this thing up. Etank from the Kentucky team has been a great mentor as well! We are blessed to have two other LoCo's helping us so much. Thank you!

This is why I like Ubuntu so much. The community helps each other, supports each other, and we're all so darn good looking! ;-)

Serious thanks again to Vorian and Etank, and to all the members of the PA LoCo for all the hard work you do!

ccw
May 12th, 2007, 02:00 AM
It looks like we aren't in a position to get approved until we have a listserv (or whatever) set up. I dont think that Jono thinks that we can be viable without it. :-(

I did explain how many members we have (39), the three events that we have planned, and the organizational strides we are making, and he hasn't responded yet to that.... There are a couple of options we need to review before we go further. We can bull forward and try to do it without the mailing list, we can wait for the mailing list, or we can set up our own mailing list somewhere else.

Opinions, please!

Is there an ETA on the mailing list?

I say make it a goal to be approved well in time to make to a good community presence for the Gutsy release and maybe Software Freedom Day. That gives us the summer to get organized.

bfledderjohn
May 12th, 2007, 03:22 AM
There is no eta as of yet for the mailing list. There are problems with getting these set up through the community, and there is no eta.

If it doesn't happen soon through Ubuntu, we will do our own.

andrewPCT
May 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'm surprised that Launchpad doesn't have an integrated mailing list feature.

bfledderjohn
May 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm surprised that Launchpad doesn't have an integrated mailing list feature.

I think that this is a feature that is coming. Just hasn't been implemented yet.

etank
May 15th, 2007, 08:59 PM
From Jono's blog (http://www.jonobacon.org/?p=966) :

Better managing LoCo resources. Recently there has been some delays on mailing lists and DNS. Mailing list requests are now coming to me via RT which should help reduce one step in the process, and DNS is being transferred from smurf to someone else too. There was also discussion about a LoCo community team looking over resource requests, which I think could be useful. More discussion on this to come.

That sounds like good news for your mailing list. There has been some chatter on the loco contacts (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2007-May/001369.html) mailing list too.