PDA

View Full Version : Using MySQL Query Browser

tc101
May 11th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I have installed mySQL, MySQL Query Browser and MySQL Administrator.

When I go to MySQL Query Browser/ Open Connection Editor it asks for Username, Password and Hostname. I assume I can use any username and password I want. What should I put in for hostname? I just made on up, callinf it "t" and when I tried to open the connection I got this message:

Could not connect to host 't'.
MySQL Error Nr. 2005
Unknown MySQL server host 't' (1)

Also, in the connection editor it asks for schema. What should I put there?

heimo
May 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
If you have mysql-server installed on the same computer, use localhost as hostname. Also you need to use username and password for the database - I think it's by default root and password is empy. You don't have to choose schema, I think you can choose it after login.

tc101
May 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks heimo. I'm in. It feels so good.

tc101
May 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Under help for MySQL Query Browser, I am able to open the Quick Start Guide, but when I click on Help/Contents nothing happens. How do I get that to work?

Is there a good tutorial somewhere on line?

heimo
May 11th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I haven't used it for a very long time, but you can find all kind of documentation for MySQL here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

tc101
May 11th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks. That has everything I need.

tc101
May 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM
If I want a handy front end for creating tables in mysql, is open office database the easiest thing to use?

If so, I have a question about setting it up to read the mysql db. You can connect open office db to an existing mysql database using either ODBC or JDBC. Which is easier? I tried doing it with JDBC and it said the jdbc drive was not loaded. Where do I get it.

Finally, is it proper forum etiquite to ask a series of related question like this in one topic, which stated off being about Using MySQL Query Browser, or is it better to start a new topic?

heimo
May 11th, 2007, 09:50 PM
If I want a handy front end for creating tables in mysql, is open office database the easiest thing to use?
I'd try mysql-admin.

If so, I have a question about setting it up to read the mysql db. You can connect open office db to an existing mysql database using either ODBC or JDBC. Which is easier? I tried doing it with JDBC and it said the jdbc drive was not loaded. Where do I get it.
I don't know. But you can get one or both of those at http://www.mysql.com/

Finally, is it proper forum etiquite to ask a series of related question like this in one topic, which stated off being about Using MySQL Query Browser, or is it better to start a new topic?
I think it's fine to ask a series of related questions as far as not wondering too far from topic and making long threads where information is hard to find for the next person. Generally, I think it's best to keep number of topics low in one thread, so that thread title and content match. But my opinions are not official policy.