PDA

View Full Version : my next ubuntu pymes project...

gashcr
May 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Hey guys, I need your advice.

My dad do some advisory for little farms looking for international standards in order to export their products. He found this company ( very little indeed ) which needs their software licenses in order to obtain those certificates... bad news because their software is pirated... well, my dad asked me for help because he knows very little about how to obtain the mentioned licenses... I found out they use 3 computers, mostly for basic tasks as e-mail reading, text editing and some excel calcs... well, I gave them the options in terms of licensing their MS products, for which they'd need to give a good amount of money... or go open source. They don't even have a server, so I thought this would be an excellent chance to give some ubuntu love to this little company in need...

Any suggestion on how can I make a good transition??

DoctorMO
May 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Are they running and special software? if not go for it.

gashcr
May 11th, 2007, 06:19 PM
As long as I know, they aren't, perhaps some accounting program... not pretty sure 'cause I'll visit them until this Sunday to check everything out... but if that's the case, any suggestion?? As I told, they are very small, so I believe a good personal accounting program would do it well

gashcr
May 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
OK, after visiting the place, I found 2 possible obstacles. They use a simple, custom made application to get data from an Access DB. (could be solved with wine??)

Then, the most difficult matter... These guys are so close minded!! I made some fixings on their existing XP boxes, and they were so freaked about what I did ( created USERS!! ](*,) )

They were pleased for the few things I did, and their boss is willing to make the switch, but I'm worried they would get lost...