PDA

View Full Version : PCLinuxOS launches hardware compatability program.

migla
April 25th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Noticed this piece of hardware compatibility-related news: PCLinuxOS launching hardware certification program (http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/20/193254)

DoctorMO
April 25th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Certification is good, but I'd prefer it if PCLinuxOS, Conical and all the others simply supported a Linux certification so the hardware makers had 1 place to go to get certified and 1 place that issued the little penguin picture for use in product materials. as it stands I'd be reluctant to use the Linux trademark on my products unless the authority came from the OSDL or Linus himself.

To moderators: could you move this off topic to a new thread? it's worth talking about in depth.

xpod
April 25th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Just sent you another 2 doctormo.

PriceChild
May 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM
*splits*

igknighted
May 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Certification is good, but I'd prefer it if PCLinuxOS, Conical and all the others simply supported a Linux certification so the hardware makers had 1 place to go to get certified and 1 place that issued the little penguin picture for use in product materials. as it stands I'd be reluctant to use the Linux trademark on my products unless the authority came from the OSDL or Linus himself.

To moderators: could you move this off topic to a new thread? it's worth talking about in depth.

A good idea, but my system works great with Ubuntu, Fedora and many other distro's, while Mandriva does not work. I need to recompile the kernel to support my Mobo. Point being, each distro will have a different compatibility list. Therefor, how do you decide if HW passes the test? Does it have to work OOTB on one distro? All distros? Most? If it is anything but all and people buy a mobo like mine, see a certified stamp (as it works great with almost all distros) and try to install Mandriva and... no dice, we are digging ourselves a deeper hole.

I think this certification needs to be distro by distro. At least the major ones (Mandriva, Debian, Suse, Fedora/RedHat, Gentoo and Slack) should get tested, and maybe there would be a little tux logo with a smaller logo of each distro that passed the test circling around it.

NOTE: I left out popular choices Ubuntu, PCLOS, etc. because they are based on a distro that is tested. I feel going as far up the tree as possible is the best way to cover all bases.

BuffaloX
May 11th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Hey COOL. :)
PC-Linux may be the best distro to pull this off, and actually make a difference.
I hope Ubuntu will join, and others too. I think a Debian angle, that covers all Debian derivates too,
would be the best way to really help Linux as a whole.

As mentioned earlier a single place to certify hardware drivers would be preferable.
But someone has to start it, and do it right, before it has a chance to really succeed.
This initiative seems very promising, and I like the silver and gold idea as a motivator for vendors.

The Novell and RedHat models don't look nearly as promising.
But may be good for companies that want a more prestigious certification.

I would be very surprised, if Ubuntu team or Mark Shuttleworth haven't had thoughts of something similar.
Hopefully the PC-Linux initiative can fast-track the entire process.

DoctorMO
May 11th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I think this certification needs to be distro by distro. At least the major ones (Mandriva, Debian, Suse, Fedora/RedHat, Gentoo and Slack) should get tested, and maybe there would be a little tux logo with a smaller logo of each distro that passed the test circling around it.

I'm thinking more of putting something around the LSB, we already have standards for the desktop and how various things should be arranged; if we just say LSB 1.0 means kernel 2.6.10 > + gutten print 5.0.0 > + sane 1.0.6 then you only need certify a distro according to if it meets those versions and the hardware against those versions where the support is relivent.