May 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM
http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/05/09/liberation-fonts/

Loving these already!

kerry_s
May 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Screen shot?

reclusivemonkey
May 10th, 2007, 10:28 PM
They look slighty out of kilter with my "OSX" desktop. I would of thought anyone using something like Murrine/a they would be wonderful...

kpolice
May 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Download the fonts: coming shortly ???

How did you get them?

reclusivemonkey
May 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM
https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/

They should be there, or at least they were for me. Link was in the article text.

darweth
May 11th, 2007, 07:11 AM
That is pretty cool. When I first switched to Linux, I really missed the MS crap fonts. I did eventually find out I could install them easily from the repos, but I had adjusted to the Linux fonts by then. I think the basic Linux Sans looks much better than having Times New Roman and Arial all over the desktop, which is basically what these Liberation fonts seem to provide. Though I suppose they still are useful for having GPL versions of the MS fonts WITHIN apps like Office. Nifty.

eeried
May 11th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the liberation tip!

I don't really understand why they say these come in replacement of Bitstream Vera since this is a free licence font.

Anyway these Liberation fonts are good news since another M$ product goes down the drain for Linux users that can't do without Arial and the like.

cheers

mmcmonster
May 11th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Awesome. Thanks again, Red Hat. Maybe now I won't bother install msttfont on my Ubuntu systems. This can be in the next default Ubuntu distro.

enopepsoo
May 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Awesome. Thanks again, Red Hat. Maybe now I won't bother install msttfont on my Ubuntu systems. This can be in the next default Ubuntu distro.

I don't even look at fonts, so *rasberry*

It is pretty cool though! Go redhat!

Lucifiel
May 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
They look slighty out of kilter with my "OSX" desktop. I would of thought anyone using something like Murrine/a they would be wonderful...

Wow... what desktop environment and theme are you using?

That's really cool! :D

reclusivemonkey
May 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Wow... what desktop environment and theme are you using?

That's really cool! :D

Thanks =] Its just plain ol' Gnome. I use the OSX Icons from gnome-look.org. I forget the GTK theme and the Emerald one, I'll post them when I get home (I'm at work right now). The bottom panel just looks like OSX, its just a plain old gnome panel increased in size with a transparency, none of the docks available at the moment float my boat. I forget where I found the background, but I can post it if you like.

GTK (Controls) are T-ish Ubuntulooks.

Emerald theme is jaeger.