PDA

View Full Version : Localhost Programming (Windows to Ubuntu conversion)

mickbw
May 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Hi,

I am a Linux noob but fairly accomplished doing web development in Windows. I am having an issue setting up my web development environment in a manner I am used to.

I use Eclipse for my coldfusion development IDE. In windows I specified the folder which could be used as the default web directory so i could just type http://localhost and the default page would display. My development would be done on the files in that folder. Only when the pages were tested in the localhost environment would I move them to the remote host for my page.

I am not allowed to edit the files from the /var/www folder in Eclipse. I understand that if I logged in as root I would be able to do this, but obviously I don't want to do that. Is there a way to set the permissions on that /var/www folder to allow the Eclipse IDE to make changes to those files but still keep the access restrictions from outside that IDE.

Thanks,

Michael
http://jobsearchlog.com

bobbocanfly
May 10th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Not sure but from reading that i think you just need to make the folder writable

sudo chmod a+w /var/www

ohgod
May 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I don't think so...You could change the permissions or ownership on your /var/www/ directory, but that'll change it for everything (not just Eclipse).

Is that a problem, though? If you're not using the same box for your production environment, I don't see a big problem with changing the permissions.

*EDIT: I agree with bobbocanfly .

mickbw
May 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
sudo chmod a+w /var/www

Well that seems pretty easy.

Now I just need to set up SVN.

Thanks

Mathiasdm
May 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I'd like to advise RapidSVN for that purpose ;-) It does its job very well.
On the other hand, I'd love to see TortoiseSVN on Linux. There's something like it for KDE, but not for Gnome :(

mickbw
May 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks very much. I will take a look into RapidSVN.

slavik
May 11th, 2007, 01:00 AM
http://localhost/~username/

make sure that the account 'username' has a public_html directory in his home directory :)

Wim Sturkenboom
May 11th, 2007, 06:42 AM
I usually more-or-less use slavik's approach.

As an alternative, you can add yourself to the group that has the correct permissions on /var/www (on my slackbox that's group nobody); just check the ownerships. But there might be security implications.

mickbw
May 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM
That is a simpler solution. Please don't hate me, but this was something so easy to do in Windows that I never thought about it in a long time.

Hey, I will learn. Thanks for the help.

Michael

pmasiar
May 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Please don't hate me, but this was something so easy to do in Windows that I never thought about it in a long time.

Hey, I will learn. l

Obviously it was simpler - in Windows, you run as superuser all the time. That is exactly what you want to avoid and why you switched to Linux. :-)

BTW with Vista, it will be same on Windows as on Linux: you should not run as superuser, and think about permissions once a while...