PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had dreams of falling? Have you ever hit the ground in these dreams?

RAV TUX
May 10th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I've had this reoccurring dream of falling but I have never hit the ground...

I haven't had this dream in quite a while, has anybody else experienced this?

Has any one who had this dream ever hit the ground?

DoctorMO
May 10th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Yes, I used to have a whole bunch of dreams where I'd die in various ways. getting arrowed to death at high-school was a just a pathetic dream.

But yes other flying dreams are nice, most of them are day dreams.

medya
May 10th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I had seen simmilar dreams... and I really undrestand ur feeling , and it gave me strange feeling...
like it was so diffrent with other dreams...
in my dreams, I the feeling of falling but never hit the ground.... and it really really scared me in the dream...

some dreams are so strange

goumples
May 10th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Never hit the ground.. but once I got really close and right as I was about to go splat, I woke up.. on the floor.

DoctorMO
May 10th, 2007, 01:31 AM
It's probably the feeling you get when your close to the end on a high building.

drfalkor
May 10th, 2007, 01:36 AM
I've had dreams that I can see the future for 1 week, and at the 6-7 day, it happened ! weird, huh ? ( very rear dreams )

%hMa@?b<C
May 10th, 2007, 01:43 AM
yes, i have fallen of the town hall and hit the ground once. I thought that i actually died. I have also been shot, stabbed, exploded, and suffocated in my dreams.

jcconnor
May 10th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Fallen, hit the ground so hard that I bounced in the bed and woke up.

Tomosaur
May 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Like jcconnor - I also hit the ground and almost fall out of bed with the force of my body rebounding. Rather strange, but I actually quite enjoy the feeling. It's quite a regular dream I have (although not every night by any means, I just seem to experience it more than I would expect).

I also once had a dream where I was a samurai in massive battle, and I got slashed across the stomach, and slowly bled to death while my intestines fell out. It actually hurt a hell of a lot in the dream, that one wasn't pleasant.

bobbybobington
May 10th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I don't think I've ever had any falling dreams. But I have a lot where I'm being chased for some reason.

Sunflower1970
May 10th, 2007, 04:12 AM
I've had dreams where I'm flying in the past, but haven't had one recently. Never hit the ground, but have gotten close to it...

My dreams usually consist of some sort of evil presence in the room/house/dwelling I'm in...I'm usually creeped out, but never scared.

I also have these odd dreams that only happen when I take a nap during the day or have the light on. I have a tendency to sleep with my eyes open. So, in these dreams I can see the room as it really is...but then the dream takes over and I see ghosts, ghouls, demons, aliens, and once Aerosmith showed up :shock: What sucks is these always occur with sleep parylisis. Can't move no matter what I try to do..Can't even scream...I used to fight it, and try to force myself awake...now when it happens, I know it's happening, and just go with it.

MontanaMax
May 10th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Yes - I frequently have those falling dreams, but I never hit the ground. Sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's terrifying. No idea why. I hate heights now. Didn't have a problem as a child though.

maniacmusician
May 10th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I also have these odd dreams that only happen when I take a nap during the day or have the light on. I have a tendency to sleep with my eyes open. So, in these dreams I can see the room as it really is...but then the dream takes over and I see ghosts, ghouls, demons, aliens, and once Aerosmith showed up :shock: What sucks is these always occur with sleep parylisis. Can't move no matter what I try to do..Can't even scream...I used to fight it, and try to force myself awake...now when it happens, I know it's happening, and just go with it.

It's weird that you sleep with your eyes open...I'm sure some other people do as well, but it's a pretty rare thing as far as I know.

But having your body paralysed during sleep is actually totally normal. When you go into REM sleep (the part of your sleep cycle when you typically have dreams, characterised by rapid and random eye movement), your body releases chemicals that prevent you from moving. This happens in varying degrees in people...some get totally paralysed, some get partially paralysed. For some people, it doesn't work at all.

Rotarychainsaw
May 10th, 2007, 05:16 AM
I hit the ground once. It was weird.

EdThaSlayer
May 10th, 2007, 05:19 AM
One time I closed my eyes and was about to sleep until I felt like I was falling downwards really fast. It shocked me so much I woke up right away.

Macintosh Sauce
May 10th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I have had those type of dreams, but a dream I had last year is still quite vivid.

I dreamt I was standing, looking at Jesus Christ on the Cross. He turned to me and said, "You will be with me in Heaven." The dream was so incredibly real, because I could feel absolutely everything around me. I wasn't scared or anything like that - I felt immense joy in His presence. He was looking directly at me with His piercing eyes and bright light all around Him. I do remember exactly what Jesus looked like too. Long hair, beard, and olive-coloured skin... Until that day, I never had a dream like that before.

It is my first expeience of being in God's presence, other than my baptism in 1994.

RAV TUX
May 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I've had dreams where I'm flying in the past, but haven't had one recently. Never hit the ground, but have gotten close to it...

My dreams usually consist of some sort of evil presence in the room/house/dwelling I'm in...I'm usually creeped out, but never scared.

It's weird that you sleep with your eyes open...I'm sure some other people do as well, but it's a pretty rare thing as far as I know.

But having your body paralysed during sleep is actually totally normal. When you go into REM sleep (the part of your sleep cycle when you typically have dreams, characterised by rapid and random eye movement), your body releases chemicals that prevent you from moving. This happens in varying degrees in people...some get totally paralysed, some get partially paralysed. For some people, it doesn't work at all.

I've had this dream often also, where something is paralyzing you and you want to wake up, run, scream but can't, the resulting terror felt is quite real, and when I wake up I am always quite relieved that the dream is finally over.

Snargledorf
May 11th, 2007, 01:27 PM
The reason you have these dreams is thought to be because when you sleep your muscles relax and your brain interprets this as your body free falling and thats why sometimes you will wake up during these dreams. Its perfectly normal and happens to just about everyone.:)

RAV TUX
May 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM
The reason you have these dreams is thought to be because when you sleep your muscles relax and your brain interprets this as your body free falling and thats why sometimes you will wake up during these dreams. Its perfectly normal and happens to just about everyone.:)I have to say I have never hit the ground, but am always fearful that I might.

samjh
May 11th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I used to have those dreams on a few occasions as a teenager, but not as an adult. Strange stuff. As far as I can remember, I never hit the ground, although I have fallen in water I think.

MOS95B
May 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I've had them to. But I don't ever remember hitting the ground. I've hit my wife sleeping next to me a couple of times due to these dreams though. Not a good feeling, waking up from a terrifying fall and now The Missus is ticked off, too....

seshomaru samma
May 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
never

for a while I practiced a technique that allows you to remember your dreams (we have tons of dreams at night but we rarely remeber more than one) , i wrote them down in my journal
never dreamt of falling....

argie
May 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I've had lots of falling dreams. I wake up before I hit if it would be likely to kill me, apparently, so I've fallen off bridges and woken up before hitting the water, and I've never hit ground, but once I fell from the 5th floor of the building I live (my flat's on the 5th) and into water, and I didn't wake up. Weird.

myniggaorpheus
February 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Yes I have had these dreams a couple of times, and I always get to the part where I hit ground. This is what happens to me, at the exact second that I hit the ground, I have some sort of seizure and wake up. I don't have any disease that involves seizures, but I guess that was just my body trying to wake me up somehow. It just really creeped me out, I woke up shaking. I bet it would be fun to watch though:popcorn:

MikeTheC
February 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM
No, to the best of my recollection, I've not had any dreams wherein I'm falling.

For what it's worth, the next time you have a "normal" dream and you wake up and can recall it, spend some time thinking and remembering in detail what it "felt" like. I don't mean emotionally, but physically. It's a bit hard to try and explain, so let me describe it by way of pointing to real-world parallels.

Have you ever had to stand for extended periods, without significant walking? How about having to run a register, or be a door greeter, or whatever? What about sitting for an extended period of time? Or, on the flip side, running for any length of time? How about doing squats, or lifts?

The thing that any and all of these activities have in common is some kind of fatigue of the limbs involved. Feet, knees, glutious maximus, or whatever all develop a discomfort after some period of continuous use. If you lift enough weight, or lesser amounts of weight a sufficient number of times, your arms will tire out. If you lift via squatting to pick something up, then eventually your legs fatigue.

Also, drinking and smoking have tastes associated with them in addition to whatever euphoric quality.

So, the next time you wake from a "normal" dream and you can remember it in sufficient detail, pay attention to the likely fact that your mind did not reconstruct any of these things. You can stand or walk for "miles" or "hours" in a dream, but your "dream's body's" legs, hips, knee joints, etc. will not have a corresponding fatigue represented.

One curious thing for me (and really on those rare occasions when it happens, since I'm a non-smoker) is when you're smoking in your dream. Nicotine "euphoria" is not simulated, nor is the taste.

My point in bringing all these things up is that I wonder how much the "not hitting the ground when falling in a dream" phenomena is simply that the brain doesn't simulate kinesthetic feedback in a dream, so in theory your "dream-state body" could hit the ground, but you wouldn't "feel" it.

Alright, and while we're on the subject, let me warp your brain just a little bit further.

Suppose there are two pipes, both of a diameter small enough to permit being held at the same time in one hand, and that they are constructed from a material (metal, glass, etc.) that does NOT insulate their contents (that is, you can perfectly well feel the temperature of whatever the contents are).

Now, let us suppose that each of these pipes is filled, one with cold water and the other with warm water, and you hold both of these at the same time in the same hand. Here's my question: What do you feel? (Yes, I've tried this myself. Yes, I got it from a Psychology text book. No, I don't want you to cheat and look it up on the 'net. Yes, after a suitable interval I will post the correct answer.)