PDA

View Full Version : Project : Outreach

Dragonbite
May 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Outreach Project
Goal:
To attend a number of shows (computer shows, etc.) and supply Ubuntu CDs to interested people.
Discussion on this matter was started with this forum posting (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=432906&p=2610815).

Enter Actions taken, interest, ideas, etc.

pmasiar
May 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Installfest Ideas
Thoughts on Organizing Installfests (http://beuno.com.ar/archives/19) :
- A server with apt-cache
- have also alternate CD and system rescue CD
- Printed pieces of paper with the LoCo forum and mailing list address
- A brief (1 or 2 pages) explanation on how to get started

Razzl
May 16th, 2007, 11:30 PM
[Sorry, Pmasiar, I didn't realize your installfest title was a link, so my comments below are about doing public demos rather than installs. To be honest, I can't even remotely imagine generating the kind of interest in Connecticut that your article describes. Not only will nobody make off with too many discs, you will be lucky to bend anybody's arm enough to take one IMHO..]

Okay Pmasiar, your last 3 items there look easy enough (meaning you're offering to do those up?! :biggrin: ). The rescue cd is specific to whoever's computer, so we need someone brave enough to use their own laptop as a demo mule. As for the server, I'm not sure what you had in mind, but unless you know someone who has roaming wireless I would guess web access is out of the question, server access ditto, when the outreachers are out in the field. I don't think it's really necessary to be able to do full installs for anybody out in the field, it should be enough to do a mock install over a preset partition on a laptop with no web updates.

I think helping people set up dual boot with Windows using WUBI will be safer for the average person with a modern (40+GB) computer than setting up separate partitions, so saving a WUBI image to disc and having it along would be valuable.

Debbie
May 22nd, 2007, 05:18 AM
Okay, now what? The show in New Haven is 2 1/2 weeks away. I have about 100 blank CDs I bought for about $20 at a previous show, the same number of paper sleeves to put them in, and printable labels from Family Dollar. I try to keep my expenses as low as possible. Upon the suggestion of the Cogan staff, I have offered the CDs for free, but with a suggested donation of a dollar or two to help defray costs. I do not stand there and hand out a CD to everyone who walks by, but rather offer one to anyone who stops and shows an interest. Most people are willing and even expect to pay something. If we do it this way, we should end up with enough money to continue to buy supplies to keep this thing going. Any extra could always be used to grow the outreach program or donate to some struggling Linux project. As I see it, the initial supplies needed would be CDs, labels, paper for handouts, and printer ink (ouch!)

At the Cogan Fairs I have attended, I have given out at most from half a dozen to around 20 CDs per show. I would not burn a huge number to start, because as you know a new version of Ubuntu is released every six months, and it would be a waste to be stuck with a lot of old CDs after a newer version is out. I think demo machines are a good idea. I had been using my laptop as a demo, but for the last show I brought a desktop. People seemed to notice it more and be more willing to play around with it. A demo install would be great, but would require another computer. They say that some of their locations have wifi available, but I have not been able to access it, so we cannot pull in any updates. If this group is going to get involved in the shows, we should probably have some kind of paper handout (sheet or business card?) with contact information, and maybe some FAQs or other helpful information. At some point, I would like to also get some feedback, without pressuring, from people who have taken the CDs. Did they try them, what did they like or dislike about the system, what problems or questions they had, etc. I don't know how this can be accomplished, but it would be helpful in planning for future shows.

I checked my calendar and I do have June 9th off from work, so I guess I will be going to New Haven. Are there any other takers?

pmasiar
May 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Upon the suggestion of the Cogan staff, I have offered the CDs for free, but with a suggested donation of a dollar or two to help defray costs. I do not stand there and hand out a CD to everyone who walks by, but rather offer one to anyone who stops and shows an interest. Most people are willing and even expect to pay something.

very good idea indded.

I think demo machines are a good idea. I had been using my laptop as a demo, but for the last show I brought a desktop. People seemed to notice it more and be more willing to play around with it. A demo install would be great, but would require another computer.

That would be nice.

Or we can show install on laptop - without really formatting the disk of course. Would be nice to have Windows partition, to show how GPartEd looks like.

we should probably have some kind of paper handout (sheet or business card?) with contact information, and maybe some FAQs or other helpful information.

One page to make it simpler?

At some point, I would like to also get some feedback, without pressuring, from people who have taken the CDs. Did they try them, what did they like or dislike about the system, what problems or questions they had, etc. I don't know how this can be accomplished, but it would be helpful in planning for future shows.

Excellent idea. Maybe we can ask them what would be best way to do it.

I sent today self-stamped envelope for free sticker (http://system76.com/index.php/cPath/53_64) - but looks like they send 4 stickers only... :-( maybe there is cheaper way to get them...

Anyway, I'll burn some CDs and I plan coming too. Who else is coming?

Debbie
May 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Regarding handouts and stickers:

I have printed some sheets listing a few Linux equivalents to Windows programs and my contact information. It takes up about a page and a half. I can change the contact info to whatever the group wants to use, and would welcome any ideas on how to improve this and fill up the rest of the back page.

I also have printed CD labels that I have been sticking on the CDs I hand out. I don't know how professional they are, but they don't look too bad. It is just the photo graphic of the Ubuntu kids in a circle with the words "Ubuntu Linux 7.04 Live CD" written around the edge. I don't know if the folks at Canonical have any CD label they prefer people to use. There used to be some "official" Ubuntu graphics on their site to download and use, but I cannot find them any more.

pmasiar
May 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
I have printed some sheets listing a few Linux equivalents to Windows programs and my contact information. It takes up about a page and a half. I can change the contact info to whatever the group wants to use, and would welcome any ideas on how to improve this and fill up the rest of the back page.

I think most people will prefer almost-anonymous forum, or mailing list. Best of course will be some way to be able to post without registering - a blog with anonymous posting maybe? I know spam promoting crap will be coming but some people may refuse registering.

This might be a question to ask people at the fair: do you want to give us a feedback, and which way you prefer?

I don't know if the folks at Canonical have any CD label they prefer people to use. There used to be some "official" Ubuntu graphics on their site to download and use, but I cannot find them any more.

Yes, it was hard to find to me also.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Official

Dragonbite
May 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
This project will be the perfect first project to use the new Connecticut Team Mailing List!

After you've joined up for the mailing list at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-ct (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-ct) you will be able to post by sending an email to ubuntu-us-ct@lists.ubuntu.com (mailto:ubuntu-us-ct@lists.ubuntu.com).

I'm seeing what's going on the 9th. Do you have a link to the site for times/location/directions?

~Drew

Debbie
May 24th, 2007, 01:08 AM
The web site for Cogan Fairs is http://www.coganfairs.com/ You can click on the menu link for Show Schedule to get to the page that lists the upcoming shows. Each of the shows has a link with the address and driving directions. Depending on where you are coming from, Mapquest may have directions for a shorter route.

The normal schedule runs 10:00-4:00 on Saturdays and Sundays, but they have shortened at least some of the shows to end at 3:00 for the summer. They like their vendors to get there early, and be done setting up by 9:45.

I need to send an email before the end of the work week for every show I intend to go to, so they will reserve a table. I like to do that no later than Thursday, to be sure someone has a chance to read it and get back to me. I should be able to get to the show in New Haven, but if any of you people want to set up a table at shows I cannot attend, someone will have to notify either the Cogan contact or myself beforehand. For example, there is a show in Groton the day after the one in New Haven, but I do not expect to be going there, because it is too long of a drive.

snype
May 29th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I love this idea, I live in the CT area as well. One thing that we need to take into account is that for Cogan Fairs there is usually some kind of a vendor fee. Although I'm pretty sure he's not in charge anymore, I used to know Mr. Cogan-- maybe well enough to ask for permission to setup a table. I have 1-3 computers I could bring as demos. Let me know.

Debbie
May 31st, 2007, 05:28 AM
I love this idea, I live in the CT area as well. One thing that we need to take into account is that for Cogan Fairs there is usually some kind of a vendor fee. Although I'm pretty sure he's not in charge anymore, I used to know Mr. Cogan-- maybe well enough to ask for permission to setup a table. I have 1-3 computers I could bring as demos. Let me know.

I first posted about Cogan Fairs on the Projects Page, so some people may have missed the original message. There is a vendor fee for regular vendors, but they are offering a free table to promote Linux. I guess they feel that because people will be volunteering and not making a profit, they will not charge for it. It is one standard size table, I think about six feet long, but I am not sure. The next show is in New Haven on June 9th. Do you plan to go?

Razzl
June 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM
I would like to go to New Haven if I can just to meet you all and be of whatever help I can, though it's starting to look like Debbie with the discs and you guys with the hardware are really essential for doing this travelling road show. Groton is actually more my territory, but without all the accessories I don't think it worth trying to set anything up this time around...

Debbie
June 2nd, 2007, 06:21 AM
Great! What I have found is needed most are more people, just to be there, talking to the customers and answering questions that I cannot answer. The show starts at ten o'clock, and they would like us to be there no later than 9:45. I will look forward to meeting you and the others.

I agree that it is too short of a notice to try to put something together for Groton this time around, but it would be nice to eventually find someone who lives close enough to each of the shows. Don't forget that if we generate enough interest, more people may join this group and help out. I actually found this LoCo through someone who stopped at the table at the Meriden show. I don't know if he is a member or just knew about it.

pmasiar
June 6th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I got my SASE back - with only 4 little stickers for 2 stamps, it is almost quarter per sticker! Anyone knows about bulk stickers: where to order and how much may cost to print?

Also, I was thinking how people can find this forum. Forum number makes for meaningless URL. Headings and titles are cryptic. IMHO it is not obvious to look in "other discussions > LoCo Team" - definitely bad ontology. It is not enougt to make LoCo red: LoCo teams needs be top-level heading, fully spelled "Local Communities" othervise new people will have hard time to find it. While doing these changes, drop all the breadcrumb crap ("The Ubuntu Forum Community > Other Community Discussions"), it should be straightforward:

"Ubuntu Forums > Local Communities Forums > United States LoCo Teams > Connecticut Team", and sorted by alphabet. How the hell are states sorted? By founder's shoe size? :-)

Of course old ossified structures - cannot happen. Sad.

Is somewhere a forum to post this suggestion?

Debbie
June 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Whenever I plan to have a table at one of the Cogan Fairs, I need to send a message notifying them of my intention. I sent the request for New Haven last week, but have not yet received a reply. As some of you may know I have been away from home and email this week. I just sent another request from a public library. I am assuming it will be okay, but if for some reason it is not okay or I do not receive a reply, I don't want to make people drive to New Haven for nothing. So, I plan to check my email sometime late tonight, and if I am NOT going to New Haven, I will post a message to this forum before Saturday morning. I'm sorry about the confusion.

Debbie
June 9th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I got an answer. The Linux table in New Haven tomorrow is good to go. I hope to see some of you there. I will bring my CDs. Anyone else can bring whatever you have---CDs, computer, handouts, etc., or just your smiling faces ready to answer questions. We should be able to get this better organized in time.

Dragonbite
June 10th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I got an answer. The Linux table in New Haven tomorrow is good to go. I hope to see some of you there. I will bring my CDs. Anyone else can bring whatever you have---CDs, computer, handouts, etc., or just your smiling faces ready to answer questions. We should be able to get this better organized in time.Great! Sorry could not make it but I look forward to hearing everybody's experience!:popcorn:

Debbie
June 11th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Great! Sorry could not make it but I look forward to hearing everybody's experience!:popcorn:

It looks like "everybody" is Me, Myself, and I. I don't know what happened to the other people who said they might come, if they made other plans or got lost on the way. I would really like to turn this little project over to the group, so other people can attend the shows I cannot, but it will be helpful if someone could go to at least one show with me first, to get to know the routine.

Well, the day was slow for the whole show. They say summer is usually their slowest time of the year anyway. A few people stopped by to chat, and I handed out nine CDs. One person said he would send me an email telling about his experience using the Ubuntu CD. I will wait and see if he does. So many people seem to be just too busy with their day to day lives to have time for anything else.

The next shows listed on Cogan's site are July 21 and 22. I don't know if or when they are planning any more for June.

Razzl
June 12th, 2007, 11:11 PM
We all owe a big thank-you to Debbie for taking this on and putting in the sitting time. There were really only 3 of us by the end who were seriously wanting to go and I got knocked out by the usual Saturday morning phone calls from friends needing this and that. Pmasiar got his info late and if he's willing to bring his equipment to another show we'll have to do a better job of arranging to help him with it.

In the end people need to meet each other and be willing to help each other face to face, so the sooner some of us can get acquainted the firmer the commitments will be.

In any event, Debbie gets a few brownie points in heaven for doing the deed and we will all need to back her up better in the future...:KS

Debbie
June 13th, 2007, 02:52 AM
I never was a brownie, but thanks for the points anyway. :p I started going to the shows a few months ago, before I heard of this group, so it was no big deal to go by myself. My own schedule has been horrendous lately, so I can understand people finding it difficult to carve out some time for one more project.

I cannot go to the Meriden show because I always have to work on Saturdays, except for last weekend when I was on vacation, so now I am looking at Enfield on July 22nd. That is about an hour drive each way for me (total c. $14.00 gas at today's prices :( ). I don't know if any of you live close enough to that one to want to go.

Debbie
July 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Are there any takers for the Cogan computer show in Enfield on Sunday July 22 in Enfield? There is also a show in Meriden on July 21, but I have to work at my regular job that day. I know that is a bit of a drive for me, and probably others, but I want to try to attend as many shows as possible so they will continue to save a table for Linux.

Other news: My friend in Hartford who has used and complained about Windows for years but has not been willing to try anything else finally got a virus on his XP that trashed the os. He could not fix it with the restore CD, so yesterday he installed Feisty from a CD I had given him. Now I hope I can finally get some regular feedback from an ordinary home user regarding questions and problems in transitioning from Windows to Linux. That should be good for a FAQ.

scot524
July 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Debbie,

I would love to attend! I have sort of checked out of the Ubuntu user's group for the past month or so .... work and kid issues abound. I can bring two laptops running feisty and as many desktops as you need ... perhaps an old pc running XUbuntu tricked out would be cool. K/Ubuntu are cool in their own right. However, XUbuntu saves tons of Win 95/98/2K computers from the landfill.

Shoot me a mail and I'll be there!

Regards,

Scot
scot.flewelling@gmail.com

Dragonbite
July 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
So..? How did it go? What happened?

Debbie
July 25th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Well, it was another very slow show, with me. myself, and I handing out seven CDs. At least Scot emailed me to say he could not make it. Maybe things will pick up in the fall. I don't know.

Debbie
August 22nd, 2007, 03:42 AM
I don't know how many people still read this forum because it has been so slow, but I am posting anyway. I just received an email tonight from Cogan Computer Fairs. They would like to have a Linux table at their show on Saturday August 25th in Hartford. I cannot go because I expect to be out of state all weekend. Would anyone here be willing and able to go in my place? I do not know how long Cogans will keep offering a free table if no one shows up at the fairs to man it. I cannot do this all by myself. Hartford is supposed to be their biggest show of the year.

BruceLerner
August 27th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Two Loco members, Deb and I, staffed a table (http://brucelerner.hopto.org/loco/table.JPG) at the Cogan Fair (http://brucelerner.hopto.org/loco/floor.jpg) at the Ct Expo Center on Saturday. We displayed Ubuntu and Kubuntu on 3 systems, (one that was running Kanotix for a while until we wrestled Feisty on it). I left a little after 1pm. We'd handed out `15 CDs (supplied by Deb) and ~40 business cards (http://brucelerner.hopto.org/loco/LoCo-card.JPG) with the loco wiki link. Deb can let us know if there was more traffic in the afternoon. We met a number of members of the Danbury Area Computer Society (http://dacs.org/) (dacs.org). I had a good time actually seeing another LoCo member, meeting other Linux users, talking to those not ready for it and connecting with people who wandered in from my past. The Cogan Fair people were supportive. I'd recommend a turn at the table to any of you.

http://brucelerner.hopto.org/loco/LoCo-card.JPG
http://brucelerner.hopto.org/loco/table.JPG
http://brucelerner.hopto.org/loco/floor.jpg

After the show, I made my way down to the SCOSUG picnic to re-introduce myself and see if there might be an opportunity to share our experiences and leverage our memberships. It seems like there is an opportunity here, especially if we could offer a short presentation. The SCOSUG meeting location has changed and is still under construction, but it sounds like there could be a meeting in October. We should plan to meet up there (Wallingford). It gives us a couple of months to organize.

Props to Deb for sticking with the Cogan activity and especially for spending some vacation time there.

If there are others ready to step up this activity, please get involved in the conversation.

Bruce
brucelerner.com
bruce.lerner at
gmail.com

Debbie
August 27th, 2007, 04:27 PM
The rest of the afternoon at the Cogan show was pretty slow, but people still came by to chat and ask questions. All together, we gave out 24 CDs.

A presentation at a SCOSUG meeting sounds good, but I would also look into a presentation at a DACS meeting. That group is made up of general computer users, and as far as I know, it has been several years since they had any presentation on Linux. We should probably try to make it a joint effort with the Linux special interest group (http://dacs.org/sigroups/linux.htm) that is already active there.

Dragonbite
August 28th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Great Job Debie and Bruce! And making it to SCOSUG picnic! You ROCK :guitar: !!

First off I want to say Thank you for your persistence with the Cogan Fairs, Debbie. You've stuck with it even when the response has been less than desired. You are a great asset to the Loco team and I think everybody should recognize the work you've put into it. =D>

Connecting with existing groups is a great idea. DACS is a good organization I've been a member of for a few years now, and I had heard of but don't know anything about SCOSUG.

The DACS Linux SIG is small at this point, with 3 of us regularly attending and 2-4+ irregular attendees. It has been kinda floating since the original leader, Bill Keane (who did the last presentation on Linux) left.

Currently we are trying to find a direction to focus on with a variety of ideas being tossed around but nothing focused on yet.

So far I've gotten 2 people who attend there to use Ubuntu/Kubuntu and they are putting an older version of Ubuntu (Dapper) on a server to fool around with a LAMP server, SSH and possibly Terminal Services.

If anybody is interested, DACS meets the first Tuesday of every month (the next meeting is Tuesday September 4th) and it is open to the public.
From the DACS website (http://www.dacs.org)
DACS meetings are held at the Danbury Hospital auditorium. (Click here for directions. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Danbury+Hospital,+Danbury,+CT+06810&sll=41.255049,-73.699272&sspn=0.007985,0.013175&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=41.405688,-73.444633&spn=0.007967,0.020213&om=1&iwloc=addr)) Activities begin at 6:30 p.m. with registration and casual networking. The meeting starts at 7:00 p.m. with a discussion of what’s new in technology (What's News) followed by a general question and answer period (Ask DACS), announcements and a short break. The featured evening presentation begins at 8:00. As a reminder, our General Meetings are free and open to the public so invite anyone you know who would be interested in this topic.
If anybody is going to attend, shoot me an email or PM. I usually get there closer to 8pm, just in time for the feature presentation, because my wife gets out of class somewhere after 7:30 and it takes time to get there. Most of the time I sit on the left-side of the auditorium.

They don't mention that there is a meeting-after-the-meeting called the "Pig SIG" afterwards where people (~12) get together at Chili's in Danbury to talk over Beer, Wings and food.

One idea I've tossed around, and could probably get approved, is doing a presentation at a General Meeting demonstrating Linux. An angle I thought of was "If you bought a new Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed *this* is what you'd get" and go over the features and how to do things in Ubuntu (install, update, multimedia, etc.), demonstrate the capabilities (goodies and eye-candy), introduce to the Community and how to use it (forums, wiki, Connecticut Loco Team plug) and pass out CDs. I've recently gotten hardware (Dell) capable of handling Ubuntu smoothly (including Beryl) so it's feasible for me now. If anybody is interested in helping (technical, outline, information, etc.) PM or email me.

Debbie
August 30th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Well, it looks like Cogans have just scheduled four shows for September. Are there any volunteers or does anyone have ideas on how to improve the table to generate more interest?

pmasiar
August 31st, 2007, 05:42 PM
I burned couple Feisty CDs, I better give them out before Gutsy is out! :-)

To generate interest, I was thinking about making big origami of penguin: http://dev.origami.com/images_pdf/penguin_grebenicek.pdf but to be impressive we need a paper at least 3-4 feet wide.

Debbie
September 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
A big penguin may be cute to attract attention, but I was thinking more along the lines of attractive and informative brochures, demonstrations, maybe an Impress presentation, etc. Is anyone able and willing to go to the Cogan computer fair this Saturday, Sept.9th in Enfield?

Dragonbite
September 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
A big penguin may be cute to attract attention, but I was thinking more along the lines of attractive and informative brochures, demonstrations, maybe an Impress presentation, etc. Is anyone able and willing to go to the Cogan computer fair this Saturday, Sept.9th in Enfield?I wish I could convince a guy I worked with to loan his ~4' (larger than actual size) Emperor Penquin! :(

I'll be out of the state at that time. Anybody else?

Debbie
September 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I worked at the table at the Cogan computer show in Enfield again last Sunday. There seemed to be a moderate interest, considering the fact that business in general has been slow at their shows lately. I handed out 19 Ubuntu CD's and a number of the little cards with contact information for this LoCo that Bruce had kindly printed out before the Hartford show. One person who stopped by said he was picking up a CD for a couple members of the Cogan staff. I would like to see what they do with it. Just trying it out would be okay, but some kind of review and promotion on their web site would be fantastic.

The next show is in Danbury next Sunday, September 16th. Is anyone willing and able to go?

BruceLerner
September 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Deb.
Sorry I was unavailable last week. I have a match in the morning, but should be able to get to the show around noon. I have printed up some more cards. What else would useful. Give a call today if you're going.

EVERYONE !!!!!!
How about some brainstorming on what might be a bit 'showy' for the masses.
Does anyone have COMPIZ running? Are there any good 'show' apps?

ANYONE ELSE SIGNING ON ???

EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HANG OUT AT THE TABLE, STOP BY AND SAY HELLO.

Hope to see some of you this weekend if Deb has signed us up.

Bruce

BruceLerner
September 18th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Debbie did have us signed up and spent the day at the show. I arrived around 1:30p. Overall the show was slow. While I was there, we discussed installing Ubuntu with 2 showgoers and spoke with maybe a dozen people in total. No one admitted to being a LoCo member.

I've now done a show in Hartford and one in Danbuy and haven't met anyone from the LoCo. I'm planning on being at the Southington show until about 2pm. The level of group involvement is not meeting my expectations for a community effort. I can't tell if I missed the initial wave of involvement or if critical mass was never reached.

Let me know what you all think. Is there a LoCo here or not?

Bruce

Debbie
September 19th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I would just like to remind everyone of the IRC meeting that is supposed to be happening this Thursday, Sept. 20, at 9:00PM.
(#ubuntu-connecticut FreeNode IRC Channel) I am proposing a discussion topic on how to keep the LoCo alive, if anyone still reads these posts and is interested in making this work. Bruce and I have handed out quite a few CDs and business cards with information about this group to people who seemed to be interested. It will be hard to recruit new members when the existing members do not participate in the forums or discussions.

BruceLerner
September 26th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Once again, kudos to Debbie for coordinating and staffing a table at the Cogan Fair in Southington, passing out Ubuntu disks and information cards for the LoCo. I spent a few hours with her hoping to see some sign of life from this group (an unfulfilled hope I carried forward from Thursday). Once again disappointed, I wish you well. Adieu.

Bruce

pbcartwright
October 2nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
Hello,
My name is Paul Cartwright, a member of the GaLoCo in Georgia. My uncle lives in East Hartford, and I talked him into installing Kubuntu on his PC. Problem is.. I can't get his dialup working. We looked in /dev and found /dev/ttyS0-S3 but the modemquery in kppp doesn't find it. Any clues/help??
His modem is a modem blaster, lspci shows Conexant HSF 56k HSFi modem.
I'm on DSL, I've never hooked up a modem to linux...

Dragonbite
October 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Hello,
My name is Paul Cartwright, a member of the GaLoCo in Georgia. My uncle lives in East Hartford, and I talked him into installing Kubuntu on his PC. Problem is.. I can't get his dialup working. We looked in /dev and found /dev/ttyS0-S3 but the modemquery in kppp doesn't find it. Any clues/help??
His modem is a modem blaster, lspci shows Conexant HSF 56k HSFi modem.
I'm on DSL, I've never hooked up a modem to linux...

/dev/ttyS0 will only work if he is using an external modem, not an internal one. I have found that using an external US Robotics (USR) modem has worked every time when you point it to /dev/ttyS0.

Internal modems, you run the risk of it being a Winmodem (where 1/2 of the processing is done with Windows software, and only 1/2 occuring in the hardware) and there is the chance it isn't recognized by Kubuntu. Out of the 3 internal modems I have on my PCs, only 1 is recognized in Linux and the other 2 have had to use the external modem.

I'll try and take a look in Kubuntu for how to configure it. So far I have not been overly successful.

Dapper Drake had a handy "Find Modem" button which would scan the system for a modem it recognizes and if it finds one it sets its address in the loction box. Unfrotunately Feisty seems to have dropped that feature (and has not been too good with modems in general).

pbcartwright
October 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
thanks, I wasn't sure about the ttyS0, I noticed in lspci it showed as module acm, but I'm not sure if he had a /dev/acm, we never looked past the ttyS*..
I'm pretty sure the easiest thing to do would be to get an external hardware modem, like a zoom or Robotics.
thanks!

asmiller-ke6seh
March 29th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Proposal: present Ubuntu to local Boards of Education with the idea that we encourage each local school board to drive Ubuntu into the school systems.

The Opportunity: Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP this summer, forcing Windows users over to Vista. This will mean that school systems will not only have to purchase upgraded licenses and software, but they will also need to purchase new computers, peripherals, and software. This comes at a great expense. Instead, by utilizing Ubuntu, school systems can save this expenditure and apply the monies saved to more critical expenditures.

The Solution: the Connecticut LoCo (Local Community) Team should develop and present a 10 minute OpenOffice.org Presentation to the School Boards in our areas.

Request: If you want to work on this project with me, leave a message for me here.

Debbie
March 31st, 2008, 04:36 AM
I'm sorry that I haven't checked my Yahoo mail for a few days. I thought this group was dead, due to lack of interest by most of its original members. I do not have a lot of time available now, but I would be happy to help with your project for the Boards of Education in whatever way I can. The biggest problem with this group seems to be getting enough people together who are willing and able to put in the time and energy to make any project succeed.

cprofitt
November 4th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Proposal: present Ubuntu to local Boards of Education with the idea that we encourage each local school board to drive Ubuntu into the school systems.

The Opportunity: Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP this summer, forcing Windows users over to Vista. This will mean that school systems will not only have to purchase upgraded licenses and software, but they will also need to purchase new computers, peripherals, and software. This comes at a great expense. Instead, by utilizing Ubuntu, school systems can save this expenditure and apply the monies saved to more critical expenditures.

The Solution: the Connecticut LoCo (Local Community) Team should develop and present a 10 minute OpenOffice.org Presentation to the School Boards in our areas.

Request: If you want to work on this project with me, leave a message for me here.

I am not in your state, but work in the EDU space.

The first hurdle FOSS has in schools is that teachers are creatures of habit and they only move to new applications when you pry the old one from their cold dead fingers. In some cases I am not even sure there are replacements. For this reason I think it may be difficult to 'replace' Windows/OS X 100% in a school district.

The second hurdle is that Microsoft makes it very inexpensive to buy the software ($48 a pop for a VLK license for the desktop OS)

Options:

Use Ubuntu (Linux) in areas in which office applications and research are the primary goals (Library labs).
Use Ubuntu on all desktops but build a Terminal Services solution for Windows only applications during the transition period.

I am contemplating making a FOSS move where I work, but putting the pieces together will take some time.

Dragonbite
November 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I was just in a school a few weeks ago and it appears that they are using very old, weak computers. I was thinking in how many ways could that be improved with Linux (esp. if they had any funds for computers, use it for a powerful server and use the existing CPUs as thin clients for Edubuntu or openSUSE's Kiwi project.

But how does one start? Who do you start talking with and what will that person listen to (buzzwords)?