PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a new Tux logo?

rockhoppr
May 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Logos are important.

Corporations spend massive amounts of money, time and interest developing or modifying their logos to ensure they convey the appropriate sentiment to their customers.

Image is everything, many would argue.

Linux is high-tech, powerful, flexible, cutting edge, secure, universal etc etc etc. Does this logo represent that?

http://www.isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/sit3-shine.7.gif

Don't get me wrong....I love Tux and penguins but I think this image of Tux is out of date and sends the wrong message.

So, after 10 years is it time to revamp good ole Tux? How could/would the community do so?

MOS95B
May 9th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I say leave it alone. It promotes a friendly feel to Linux that non-users feel it doesn't have...

aysiu
May 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well, no one says you have to attach the tux logo to your product. Novell, Red Hat, and Ubuntu all have their own corporate logos.

Lord Illidan
May 9th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I say leave it alone. It is now the brand image of Linux, and imho, it looks pretty good.

Outrunner
May 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM
HA! Look how cute he is, what more do you want of him anyway?!

hardyn
May 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
i would have to take the sticker off my notebook if they changed it... it would probably be difficult... lets just leave it :)

Adamant1988
May 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Obviously the penguin needs to be holding a chainsaw shooting rocket launcher.

"It's Linux! TO THE EXTREME!"

bonzodog
May 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
That tux logo was decided on right at the very top of the Linux food chain so to speak, so to change it would require Linus himself no less. I very much doubt he would see a need to.

der_joachim
May 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I would not change Tux. I am not trying to steer this discussion in the wrong direction, and I am not trying to offend anybody, but something makes me feel that giving Tux a facelift would be like changing the symbol for a religion or an ideology (which would probably offend a lot of people). I am not claiming that Linux is either (although I like the idea of Linux / OSS being or having a strong ideology), but I do think that Tux is a powerful symbol, which should not be changed lightly.

ezphilosophy
May 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I've always thought it was a great logo. When I read about its history (http://www.sjbaker.org/tux/), I thought it was ever better.

mech7
May 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah the logo is not that good it looks like a little toy which is not really something you would want to associate with an os :D

starcraft.man
May 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Well, when you compare the cute and somewhat friendly looking penguin to an apple and 4 window panes... I really can't say I see any compelling reason to change him, he's good as he is. Penguins are awesome anyway, watch March of the Penguins :D

Lucifiel
May 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Hmmm... maybe a slight cosmetic lift would make him look more in-tune with the times. I feel that the art looks a little out-dated and although nostolgia might appeal to certain users, it is always better to innovate to attract and appeal to new users.

DoctorMO
May 9th, 2007, 06:16 PM
See my avitar is a baby tux with wings and cog-hat. can't have that as the logo. but take a look around the web there are millions of versions of tux but the original was decided upon because he looks full of herring; just like linux kernel.

starcraft.man
May 9th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Hmmm... maybe a slight cosmetic lift would make him look more in-tune with the times. I feel that the art looks a little out-dated and although nostolgia might appeal to certain users, it is always better to innovate to attract and appeal to new users.

I just got the perfect idea.

TRUX!!! We give him a blue/black scifi tron penguin look, what could be cooler :p

rockhoppr
May 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Just for the record....

I'm not advocating changing the mascot. Tux he is and Tux he shall always be. I'm just wondering if the "official" graphic should be updated.

Personally, I think he looks fat and lazy. That was cute in 1995 but the world has changed drastically in that time. Linux has changed drastically.

I understand most people don't like change but I wonder how much of a negative predisposition that graphic creates with people that aren't "part of the flock". Do a little test....ask some non-Linuxers what they think Tux "represents". You might be surprised at the responses. I was.

rockhoppr
May 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM

You said it much better than I did but that's exactly my point. Thanks.

Kujen
May 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Obviously the penguin needs to be holding a chainsaw shooting rocket launcher.

"It's Linux! TO THE EXTREME!"

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4844/penguincomputingjj3.jpg

PatrickMay16
May 9th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I always thought the original tux picture was a great logo, and in my opinion, much nicer than most of the new stuff made today which overuses shine and gradient color effects...

foresth
May 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Yes. Yes.

juxtaposed
May 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Keep the penguin, but some distros should use some custom ones, that would be nice.

rai4shu2
May 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Maybe time to switch to a different bird:

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/526/gnurlyzn1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Extreme Coder
May 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I definitely agree with Lucifiel. The logo looks like something from 95.

Extreme Coder

rockhoppr
May 9th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Poll added just for grins.

cliv
May 9th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Logos are important.

Corporations spend massive amounts of money, time and interest developing or modifying their logos to ensure they convey the appropriate sentiment to their customers.

Image is everything, many would argue.

Linux is high-tech, powerful, flexible, cutting edge, secure, universal etc etc etc. Does this logo represent that?

I agree many corporations spend great amounts of resources on modeling their logos (btw tux is a mascot?) but one generally dont change something that works and is well know. The coca-cola brand/logo is something that is very well developed and almost every people on earth recognise, so that would be idiotic to change it, same thing is valid for the tux mascot.

But after that is said, my feeling of the tux is that it is just a mascot and as such is a lot more dynamic in its expression than the for instance coca-cola. So i really dont feel that it is needed to "officially" change the tux, furthermore i dont think a change of tux would boost linux's market share at all.

FuturePilot
May 9th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I say leave it alone. Everyone knows it stands for Linux.

goumples
May 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Tux pwns corporate logos.

rich.bradshaw
May 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
It's not really used that much anyway - does anyone know why it is even a penguin? I prefer puffins myself...

sloggerkhan
May 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I like Tux. I think we should keep him. But he needs an updated standard image.

rockhoppr
May 9th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I agree many corporations spend great amounts of resources on modeling their logos (btw tux is a mascot?) but one generally dont change something that works and is well know. The coca-cola brand/logo is something that is very well developed and almost every people on earth recognise, so that would be idiotic to change it, same thing is valid for the tux mascot.

And yet Apple did just that. Twice (or thrice, depending on how you count it). Though they had a "perfect" icon they realized the "rainbow" apple logo just wasn't cutting it any more and changed to the more modern apple.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/Apple_first_logo.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c4/Apple_Computer_Logo.svg/500px-Apple_Computer_Logo.svg.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Apple-logo.png

((Sorry for the large pics))

JerseyShoreComputer
May 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM
He is still cute and friendly looking.... Much better than the Windows logo anyway, or the lizard for SuSe at that too.... I say keep him.

ubuntu27
May 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM
It's not really used that much anyway - does anyone know why it is even a penguin? I prefer puffins myself...

Here is the HISTORY OF THE LINUX KERNEL MASCOT - TUX (http://www.sjbaker.org/tux/)

dangerousnerd
May 9th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Tux is awesome. Tux gets the chicks! He's cute and downright irresistable! Keep him! And he's open source... what more could you want??? :)

WinterWeaver
May 9th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I voted 'No'

here's why.

Branding is extremely important to a product, and as a qualified Graphic Designer, working for a Marketing and Consulting company, I have first hand seen how changing a Logo, seriously affect the sales and/or views of a product.

I think it's a good logo. I've red the history of the Tux logo, and what Linus' thoughts and input was, and I like the resulting image.

Just my thoughts.

WW

macogw
May 10th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Tux is cute and not "scary" like people think Linux is, and people are used to seeing it near computers. Look at the Best Buy and Circuit City ads in the Sunday newspaper. There's always a little Tux next to a few computers.

Polygon
May 10th, 2007, 04:00 AM
tux is the coolest logo ever. I read that history site (and even found a tux comic linked...lol) and linus was right, its not about demonstrating what linux can do, its just association, and the versatility of the logo.

with a penguin, you can have it basically doing anything.

but how many combinations of a logo like... the windows logo? or just text that says "linux"?

tux is awesome.

blackspyder
May 10th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Tux is great the way he is. but you can always give slight upgrades like intel did with their logo just last year. (sorry cant find the logos)

BTW penguins are on "Dirty Jobs" right now

beercz
May 10th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! !!!!

lyceum
May 10th, 2007, 09:07 PM
If anyone needs a new logo, I would say it is GNU/FSF. I like it, it just looks like it was draw in the 60's

Extreme Coder
May 11th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Most people so far, think that the OP is suggesting a mascot change(atleast that's what I understood), he's just asking if you think the Tux logo should be redrawn, to look more with this age, and I certainly agree. Kinda like how Apple upgraded its logos(see page 3 on this topic), everybody knew the new logo was Apple.

Extreme Coder

B. Gates
May 11th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Yep, we need a new logo. Get rid of tux anyway, he looks too childish, and not something that would be taken seriously.

Now I have my own idea for a new Linux logo - it would have the colors red, green, blue and gold...

PrimoTurbo
May 11th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Keep it relatively the same but make it vector based with very clean lines and non-of that 1996 pixel paint shading.

PrimoTurbo
May 11th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Here is a good example, it reflect the hip/cool of linux and also casual.

http://www.linux.org.mt/files/penguin-big.jpg

Blofeld
May 11th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I don't know about the need for a new logo, and I'm fine with a penguin in general, but let's just say that I've always hated that particular penguin. I think Linus Torvalds once said that the idea was a penguin which had just eaten a lot of fish and was now sitting down happy and sated. Wow, two worlds, one planet. That is about the last thing I'd consider a good logo.
If I had to choose an OS after its logo I'd go for BSD's funky little demon.
http://www.journaldufreenaute.fr/wp-content/uploads/nationale/38_daemon_bsd.jpg
Hey, why not do a compromise:
http://www.itarare.sp.gov.br/sli/images/avatars/gallery/Tux/demon-tux.gif
In case you're curious, here is how that previous logo was created:
http://www.zonked.demon.nl/pics/FreeBSD_64x64.JPG

S. Ballmer
May 11th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Now I have my own idea for a new Linux logo - it would have the colors red, green, blue and gold...

And its got be slightly crooked squares as well!!

steven8
May 11th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Personally, I think he looks fat and lazy. That was cute in 1995 but the world has changed drastically in that time. Linux has changed drastically.

How old are you? :) 1995 was not the 'lazy old times'. In 1995 we were bemoaning the loss the of the 'good old days' because the world had become such a hectic cuthtroat fast-paced rat race!

Tux is fine. When I see it, I know Linux is nearby! Brand recognition.

steven8
May 11th, 2007, 07:28 AM
And its got be slightly crooked squares as well!!

Terrific. I see we now have B. Gates and S. Ballmer. Next you need to register under P. Allen.

rockhoppr
May 12th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Thanks for all of the great comments on this thread (from both sides of the argument). An especially big thanks for a few of you that helped clarify my point.

In case anyone still misunderstands....what I'm suggesting is:

keep penguins
keep tux
redraw the official logo so poor old Tux doesn't look so fat and lazy

I'm really kinda surprised at the poll results so far. Right now it's about 40% in favor of a change. That's quite a bit more than I expected.

Anyone know any graphic artists/logo designers that might want to spec up something?

Polygon
May 12th, 2007, 06:34 AM
no offense, but i highly highly highly doubt that the linux tux logo would ever change. Someone said earlier in this topic that switching logos or names is very bad for a company or product, and not to mention that tux is already well known and linus or most of the kernel dev team would not go for the idea anyway...

EdThaSlayer
May 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1653/linuxpoweredsmalljl5.png

:) Just add a bubble in front of tux. Reminds you of another operating systems logo that changed quite a while ago right?

flapane
May 12th, 2007, 12:25 PM
are you joking or what :)

rockhoppr
May 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM
no offense, but i highly highly highly doubt that the linux tux logo would ever change.

No offense taken. I think it's a much safer bet that the Linux logo will indeed change at some point. There's a misconception in this thread that companies never change their logos. they do so quite regularly out of necessity. Even the oft-cited Coca Cola logo has changed through the years. The "trick" is to change the image enough that you keep pace with your environment but not so much that you alienate your reputation and identity.

Clearly 30%-40%+ of the people responding to this poll think there's reason for a change. At some point that percentage will grow and/or will encompass the people who have the control to do so. I'm fairly certain that if Linus were to one day say we needed a new Tux it would happen overnight, no? ;-)

BWF89
May 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Tux has been around way too long to change him now.

I like the fact that Tux is a classic symbol that hasn't been changed in so long.

Adamant1988
May 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all of the great comments on this thread (from both sides of the argument). An especially big thanks for a few of you that helped clarify my point.

In case anyone still misunderstands....what I'm suggesting is:

keep penguins
keep tux
redraw the official logo so poor old Tux doesn't look so fat and lazy

I'm really kinda surprised at the poll results so far. Right now it's about 40% in favor of a change. That's quite a bit more than I expected.

Anyone know any graphic artists/logo designers that might want to spec up something?

http://www.blorge.com/images/IBMstandinginthewayofOraclesUnbreakableL_10113/oracle5.jpg

'tee-hee' ;)

picpak
May 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
FreeBSD updated their logo...and look at it, it's overdone, too shiny, and basically looks like any other web logo out there.

I don't want Linux going down this route. I think the Tux has aged well.

lepz
May 12th, 2007, 04:41 PM
FreeBSD updated their logo...and look at it, it's overdone, too shiny, and basically looks like any other web logo out there.

I don't want Linux going down this route. I think the Tux has aged well.

But picpak are you not using an updated shiny Tux yourself for your avatar? ;)

slimdog360
May 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
give tux a hat or something, maybe a friend or something.

lepz
May 12th, 2007, 04:45 PM
give tux a hat or something, maybe a friend or something.

He's a penguin! what the hell does he need a hat for? :lolflag:

Rui Pais
May 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Is it my only impression or lately that is a fever of suggestions on remakes and "improvements" (read reinvents the wheels) of Linux stuff?

Is threads complain about filesystem hierarchy, threads complain about root not set as default, threads complain about the diversity of available version/flavours... now even the mascot!...

I wonder if there is a virus out there and its contagious...

endersshadow
May 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I'm split. I don't really have a better update in my head, but at the same time, I'm curious. Why not have a logo contest? It's certainly not unprecedented (http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/).

picpak
May 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM
But picpak are you not using an updated shiny Tux yourself for your avatar? ;)

True...but he's pink. Pink is shiny.

Zyphrexi
May 27th, 2007, 02:21 AM
linux would be nothing without gnu.

also I like my penguin better than tux. that picture of tux is when he was overweight. Sad sad days, and we torture him by parading his big-boneded-ness everywhere.

DJ Wings
May 27th, 2007, 02:24 AM
There are some cute variations, such as the one I use in my avatar... Or this:
http://www.xiaprojects.com/www/prodotti/temi/temi/AquaTuxClouds.png
I also like the "aqua" look these guys (http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/8974/tux0011024x7684hn.png) gave Tux.
And think of all the variations... Just Google Image "Tux". (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Tux&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2) Here are some more. (http://tux.crystalxp.net/id.1750.html)

jrusso2
May 27th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Here is something I wrote ten years ago about why the Tux logo quoted from an posting by Linus Torvalds. I am hoping this will give you newecomers to Linux a better understanding of why Tux?

What's up with all these Penguin's you ask? His name is Tux. The Penguin is the mascot of Linux. Why a Penguin? I am not sure but I think Linus Torvalds got bitten by one when he was at a zoo once, or something like that. Well that's a funny story so I put it in here but here is the real one. The following is a quote from Linus Torvalds:

Now, when you think about penguins, first take a deep calming breath, and then think "cuddly". Take another breath, and think "cute". Go back to "cuddly" for a while (and go on breathing), then think "contented". With me so far? Good.. Now, with penguins, (cuddly such), "contented" means it has either just gotten laid, or it's stuffed on herring. Take it from me, I'm an expert on penguins, those are really the only two options. Now, working on that angle, we don't really want to be associated with a randy penguin (well, we do, but it's not politic, so we won't), so we should be looking at the "stuffed to its brim with herring" angle here. So when you think "penguin", you should be imagining a slighly overweight penguin (*), sitting down after having gorged itself, and having just burped. It's sitting there with a beatific smile - the world is a good place to be when you have just eaten a few gallons of raw fish and you can feel another "burp" coming. (*) Not FAT, but you should be able to see that it's sitting down because it's really too stuffed to stand up. Think "bean bag" here. Now, if you have problems associating yourself with something that gets off by eating raw fish, think "chocolate" or something, but you get the idea.

Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me? NOW comes the hard part. With this image firmly etched on your eyeballs, you then sketch a stylizied version of it. Not a lot of detail - just a black brush-type outline (you know the effect you get with a brush where the thickness of the line varies). THAT requires talent. Give people the outline, and they should say, sickly sweet voice, babytalk almost "Ooh, what a cuddly penguin, I bet he is just stuffed with herring", and small children will jump up and down and scream "mommy mommy, can I have one too?". Then we can do a larger version with some more detail (maybe leaning against a globe of the world, but I don't think we really want to give any "macho penguin" image here about Atlas or anything). That more detailed version can spank billy-boy to tears for all I care, or play ice-hockey with the FreeBSD demon. But the simple, single penguin would be the logo, and the others would just be that cuddly penguin being used as an actor in some tableau.

Cows
May 27th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Lmfao! He's a expert on penguins. That's funny.

DirtDawg
May 27th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Changing the logo now would be a bad idea. After years of exposure, people now recognize Tux and associate him with Linux. That alone is invaluable.

Polygon
May 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM
not to mention that you can create your own version of tux (basically just a penguin doing something) and most people will get the connection. Not many logos all this kind of flexibility.

Spr0k3t
May 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM
... Kinda like how Apple upgraded its logos(see page 3 on this topic)...

Or post number 30 (if you're like me and want as many posts on a page you can get).

Spr0k3t
May 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I think we need to make the move to the bearguin

http://www.rebelz.net/gallery/d/1731-1/bearguin.jpg

Just kidding. I'm all for an updated Tux, but leave him as Tux.

kevinlyfellow
May 27th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Wrong message? Can you elaborate? Is it really important in light of corporate logos?

Spr0k3t
May 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Just playing around to see what I can come up with. This is the first thing I've ever really done in Inkscape outside of the standard design tools. Turned out decent. It's based off of this image mentioned earlier (http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/8974/tux0011024x7684hn.png) so I'm sure it's already been done. I'm sure there are better things that can be done with Tux to modernize it without losing the symbolic design behind it.

Bachstelze
May 27th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the
grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin
charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what
they say if they had.

-- Linus Torvalds

That's all, folks ! Please leave Tux as it is. Companies spend a lot for their logos ? Right, but I have news for you : Linux is not a company !

ruetheday
June 17th, 2008, 11:36 PM
That tux logo was decided on right at the very top of the Linux food chain so to speak, so to change it would require Linus himself no less. I very much doubt he would see a need to.

Ozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy whoops thats been doing that sticky button thing for a week. is it irony that i read your post whilst listening to Blacksabath - The Wizard?

Change is for people who think something needs replacing.
Progression is natural!!

--
Open source? Apply Linux Daily as needed!
May cause *** splinters, carpel tunnel, absolute bliss, or total brain pain.

Polygon
June 17th, 2008, 11:42 PM
if the tux logo would have to change, it would have to stay a penguin. Changing it to a different animal or logo would be a terrible idea. But i see nothing wrong with the current tux logo. Linux isnt out to make money, its out there to create a kernel.

gameryoshi600
June 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM
No Tux is awesome.

yamfox
June 18th, 2008, 12:04 AM
http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs21/f/2007/259/e/1/Tux_by_DarthToxic.jpg

days_of_ruin
June 18th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Most linux distros dont even use it anyway.Its more used for
websites.

Tom Mann
June 18th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I like what people have added next to the logo, but I'm in the 'logo stays' group.

i.e.

http://suparum.rz.uni-mannheim.de/Linux/gif/linux-pengo-color.gif
http://www.penguinsunbound.com/File:Home/logomed.jpg&action=thumb&size=full

PS I did a Google image search on "Linux" and got a naked girly painted with the Penguin!

KingTermite
June 18th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I could see the changing the logo, but only to a newer type of penguin....not a new image altogether. You lose image recognition if you change the image altogether.

billgoldberg
June 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I like tux as much as the next guy, but the logo is stuck in the '90's.

I like this tux version better:

http://www.gnu.org/graphics/babies/BabyGnuTux-Big.png

But if they decide to update it, it should remain a penguin (and it's name has to remain tux !!!)

Nessa
June 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM
A lil more polish wouldn't hurt but I like it the way it is.

kaldor
June 18th, 2008, 01:13 AM
"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had."

- Linus Torvalds

:)

grossaffe
June 18th, 2008, 01:32 AM
tux is awesome and versitile

LaRoza
June 18th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Long live Tux!

Changturkey
June 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Needs cool vector graphics and cats ;).

Polygon
June 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I like tux as much as the next guy, but the logo is stuck in the '90's.

I like this tux version better:

http://www.gnu.org/graphics/babies/BabyGnuTux-Big.png

But if they decide to update it, it should remain a penguin (and it's name has to remain tux !!!)

if the argument is to make linux more professional, that logo goes backwards.

Rui Pais
June 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Uff the resurrection of a more than a year old useless thread.
Great!

/me goes quickly for the remove subscription (why do i post on things like this... imust be bored at that time so loong ago... )

Linuxratty
June 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Needs cool vector graphics and cats ;).

Cats!? Nooooo.
I say leave him be.