PDA

View Full Version : Dell & sales tax??

Bartender
May 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Almost bought a monitor from Dell yesterday, until I found out they were gonna charge sales tax. We live in Washington State. The rep couldn't tell me anything about it. He gave me a phone # to call - it was a sex hotline. Swear to God
Since my wife was in the room I hung up immediately.
I googled but never found the smoking gun. It appears that Dell may be collecting sales tax in about a dozen states.

Anyone know the straight scoop on this?

I was all excited about the Dell/Ubuntu thing, but maybe I'll just wait to see who else (HP, Acer, etc.) follows in Dell's footsteps.

MOS95B
May 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I used to work e-commerce, so I can answer this one. A company must charge sales tax in any state where they have a physical presence. Regardless of where the product may ship from or be hosted if downloadable.

Josh1
May 9th, 2007, 03:48 PM
If it was a sexhotline, ring them back and complain.

Was the sex hotline the last number dialed?

Bartender
May 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks, MOS -
I'm sure that explains it. Dell is adding kiosks in many states. I wonder if that counts as a "physical presence"?

I just finished ordering a Viewsonic from Newegg. No tax.

Very funny, Josh1. It was an 800 number, so no monetary damage. If Patti found out I'd called them back, there would be damage. Physical and emotional damage.

taurus
May 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Dell has always charged sales tax so this is not something new.

prizrak
May 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Dell has always charged sales tax so this is not something new.

I think the point is that WA doesn't have a sales tax? I'm really not sure though.

Lord Illidan
May 9th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Almost bought a monitor from Dell yesterday, until I found out they were gonna charge sales tax. We live in Washington State. The rep couldn't tell me anything about it. He gave me a phone # to call - it was a sex hotline. Swear to God
Since my wife was in the room I hung up immediately.
I googled but never found the smoking gun. It appears that Dell may be collecting sales tax in about a dozen states.

Anyone know the straight scoop on this?

I was all excited about the Dell/Ubuntu thing, but maybe I'll just wait to see who else (HP, Acer, etc.) follows in Dell's footsteps.

If that thing about the sex hotline was true, and you are not making it up, complain to DELL and give them the name of the rep.

Bartender
May 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
taurus, are you sure? I tried to find some receipts but was unable. Have bought a coupla things from them over the last 4 or 5 years and don't remember paying sales tax...

prizrak, Washington State does have a sales tax but no income tax. Oregon has income tax, but no sales tax.

Lord Illidan, I didn't want to bore everyone with the details, but I did contact someone in Customer Service (that took a half hour of pushing buttons and waiting) and talked to Cherry in Manila. I told her I got a sex hotline and she couldn't care less.

And of course it's entirely possible I wrote the phone # down wrong... :confused: I'm assuming it was an honest mistake by the Dell sales rep or by yours truly

DoctorMO
May 9th, 2007, 11:11 PM
prizrak, Washington State does have a sales tax but no income tax. Oregon has income tax, but no sales tax.

That's ironic because the UK has 17.5% VAT (sales tax) and 38%avg income tax, haha.