PDA

View Full Version : LinuxFormat Magazine in Tescos (UK)

darkworld
May 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I noticed that Linuxformat is on sale in my local Tesco's. I dont think its on sale anywhere else in my town, which is a fairly big town. http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/

Ive pondered as to why?

Now this Tesco's is about 1/4 mile from a large UK university. Do you think thats the link? Intelligence near by?

Is it on sale in your Tesco's ????

More thinking made me wonder why the Men in Black (microsoft agents) havent found out and forced Tescos to desist or close! :)

Tomosaur
May 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Cool, I may take a look next time I'm at the Tesco's near MY university :P

petersjm
May 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I keep looking in my local Asda for Linux Format (or *any* linux mag!) but I'm so far disappointed. If I want to buy a copy, I have to get a tube or bus to WH Smith in completely the wrong direction! Grrr. Must find out where my nearest Tesco is...

ComplexNumber
May 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I noticed that Linuxformat is on sale in my local Tesco's. I dont think its on sale anywhere else in my town, which is a fairly big town. http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/

Ive pondered as to why?

Now this Tesco's is about 1/4 mile from a large UK university. Do you think thats the link? Intelligence near by?

Is it on sale in your Tesco's ????

More thinking made me wonder why the Men in Black (microsoft agents) havent found out and forced Tescos to desist or close! :)
don't you have a WHSmiths there? i'm sure you do. Linux Format has been sold in WHSmiths for years.
in fact, i've seen Linux Format being sold in small newsagents in small villages, so i very much doubt that tescos is the only place that sells it in colchester.

Brunellus
May 9th, 2007, 03:07 PM
If you're not in a university town, I'm quite shocked that Linux Format is on sale at your Tesco. From what I remember of the great British marketplace, Tesco's magazine rack seemed to be dominated by Hello! and the Radio Times and the like.

ComplexNumber
May 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM
If you're not in a university town, I'm quite shocked that Linux Format is on sale at your Tesco. From what I remember of the great British marketplace, Tesco's magazine rack seemed to be dominated by Hello! and the Radio Times and the like.
colchester is a university town, but not a major one.

darkworld
May 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Nope ive not seen it in W H Smiths ( will check it out )

I have noticed they normally stock around 10 copies per month. They go pretty quick too, probably just about covers the local LUG.

Judging from letter of the month (Uneducated Choice), in May addition. I dont think Linux is that big in Uni so my Uni theory is probably wrong.

Brunellus
May 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Nope ive not seen it in W H Smiths ( will check it out )

I have noticed they normally stock around 10 copies per month. They go pretty quick too, probably just about covers the local LUG.

Judging from letter of the month (Uneducated Choice), in May addition. I dont think Linux is that big in Uni so my Uni theory is probably wrong.
The universities are usually *nix user centers, especially if there is a decent science/engineering/mathematics department.

social scientists tend to be wedded to Windows in an unhealthy way...

public_void
May 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM
W H Smiths usually sells it if its large enough. But from what I've seen there is usually 1 or 2 copies at my local.

I get Linux Magazine at my uni union shop, however there is only ever one copy. And I'm always the one with it.