PDA

View Full Version : Grrr....Why does the install always have to download something?

PrimoTurbo
May 9th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I'm installing xubuntu and it's downloading "language packs" even when I selected only English...It must be on some slow mirror because I can download 400KB/s to nearly 500KB/s and I have 22 to 56 minutes to before it's finished it just skips back and forth...Why force the user to download during install and not allow them to select a mirror or change a mirror?...

I tried pressing skip but it messed up my install and I couldn't start xubuntu....

Rocan
May 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
First off If you think 400/kbs is slow then something is wrong with you:lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag: ! fastest ive EVER had was about 190/kbs! Second im assuming the language packages include the english language or possibly but unlikely computer language.

Polygon
May 10th, 2007, 03:53 AM
that is incorrect

i have installed ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu, and for all of these i am unable to set up my network until after the system gets installed and i can actually boot into the OS and set my WEP key and ESSID into the network settings, and i have had no trouble installing the os.

but i do remember seeing that "downloading language packs".... i think it might be downloading from the CD

PrimoTurbo
July 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
First off If you think 400/kbs is slow then something is wrong with you:lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag: ! fastest ive EVER had was about 190/kbs! Second im assuming the language packages include the english language or possibly but unlikely computer language.

Umm, I can download that fast it's clearly not downloading that fast.

PrimoTurbo
July 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
that is incorrect

i have installed ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu, and for all of these i am unable to set up my network until after the system gets installed and i can actually boot into the OS and set my WEP key and ESSID into the network settings, and i have had no trouble installing the os.

but i do remember seeing that "downloading language packs".... i think it might be downloading from the CD

It takes 50 minutes to load language packs off a cd? I don't think so...It's downloading for from a mirror, I don't have any wep key to setup my non-wireless router is setup already. Ubuntu automatically has an internet connection.

~~Tito~~
July 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Well disconnect it untill the whole install is done . . . . . . . . . .