PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed a slight color flickering in all videos under Linux?

PrimoTurbo
May 9th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I have always noticed that there is some slight noticeable color flickering under Linux using any video player/codec. It's hard to notice but this doesn't occur under Windows. Anyone else have this problem, for example if you install the video stuff from Automatix you should notice this.

Anyone else know about this?

Polygon
May 9th, 2007, 04:30 AM
its either your hardware (like your videocard overheating maybe??)

or maybe its interlacing, a trick that things use (like tv's, monitors, video players). Basically interlacing is when the monitor or whatever does not refresh every single line of pixels, except it skips every other one, and by the time they start to fade away, the monitor starts on the pixels it skips before and does all of those, so instead of getting the full picture your only getting about half, but since this happens so fast that the human eye doesn't really notice it that much, but i do notice a slight flickering with interlacing on

i know in players like VLC and Totem there is an option to "de-interlace" videos and dvds, maybe try checking out that option?

steven8
May 9th, 2007, 04:31 AM
I have not noticed it.

PrimoTurbo
May 9th, 2007, 04:44 AM
It's definitely not video card overheating, interlacing might be it however, I will look into it.

FuturePilot
May 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Perhaps it's an older driver you're using? I know the Nvidia driver in Dapper's and Edgy's repos are old and give me crap video playback. That's why I need to use Envy on Dapper and Edgy. The ones in Feisty are up-to-date and work perfectly.

arvevans
May 9th, 2007, 05:01 AM
A strong fluorescent lamp near your screen will sometimes produce that flicker effect. It has to do with interaction between vertical refresh rate and the lamp firing rate.
Arv
_._

drummingpariah
May 9th, 2007, 05:01 AM
just tested, definitely not happening here. Make sure your drivers are up-to-date, I had the same problem on 6.10, now I'm up and running Feisty.

BobLand
May 9th, 2007, 05:31 AM
I've been trying to decide between xine and VCL. Can't get MPlayer to work yet...codecs probably and hate Movie Player.

Flickering can also occur when you have any electronic device too near your monitor. Check your desktop for anything that's plugged into an electrical socket. Remove each one until the flickering stops. If this fails at least you know they are not the cause.

bobland

prizrak
May 9th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Never had that problem. I do have some issues with Totem and matroska files but VLC takes care of it.