PDA

View Full Version : diagnosing a laptop problem

Mateo
May 9th, 2007, 01:12 AM
A few days ago I noticed that the charging light wouldn't stay on when I plugged in my laptop. But if I wiggle it around a little the light will come on. I happen to have 2 of the same computers, so I tried the other power supply and the same thing happened so it's not the power supply. Could this be the battery? I guess I should try swapping the battery with the other computer and seeing if it happens. I'm concerned that it's the piece that you plug into, and that might not be a replaceable part.

Compucore
May 9th, 2007, 01:21 AM
WHat I am thinking that it might be. But not 100 percent too sure. What kind of plug that your power goes into your laptop. Is it one that looks like one of those chromed plugs depending of thickness for it. where you have the positvie either on the outside or on the inside. and there in the receptical of the laptop a pin that goes into the plug that you plug it into from the laptop itself...

If it is where it is chromed on both the outside and inside. It migh be the contact with the inside of your laptop to the that plug that you plug into the laptop itself.

COmpucore

Mateo
May 9th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Yeah, the female end, in my laptop, is probably the source the problem, and yes it's probably not getting good contact. That's why I'm worried because I don't know if that's a replaceable part, it might be built into the motherboard.

maniacmusician
May 9th, 2007, 01:32 AM
shouldn't this be in the hardware support section? the cafe isn't really the place for technical questions

Mateo
May 9th, 2007, 01:43 AM
shouldn't this be in the hardware support section? the cafe isn't really the place for technical questions

No, since this has 0 to do with Ubuntu.

DoctorMO
May 9th, 2007, 03:19 AM
0 to do with ubuntu, that sounds like the hardware support forum; I didn't think they would turn down such a post?

Mateo
May 9th, 2007, 04:05 AM
No, this is what the tagline to the hardware forum is:

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.

Mateo
May 28th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Please move this to the hardware support forum so that I might get better assistance. thanks.

mips
May 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah, the female end, in my laptop, is probably the source the problem, and yes it's probably not getting good contact. That's why I'm worried because I don't know if that's a replaceable part, it might be built into the motherboard.

The female jack might just require resoldering on the motherboard or if it is 'loose' internally you might have to replace the jack. They are pretty common as far as i know.

Mateo
May 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
so, what should I do. i can't do any soldering or anything.

does the jack come out easily? if so i could just replace it I guess.

mips
May 29th, 2007, 11:19 AM
so, what should I do. i can't do any soldering or anything.

does the jack come out easily? if so i could just replace it I guess.

You will need a soldering iron & a solder sucker.

Very simple job. Get the service manual for your laptop and follow the dissasembly steps.
Heat the solder on the jack pins till it melts and suck up with the solder sucker, repeat process for each of the jack pins.
Remove jack & insert new jack.
Apply solder to each of the new jack pins.
Ensure you did not spill any solder or briged electrical tracks/pins
reassemble laptop.

samwest
January 27th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Is there a software out there to diagnose hardware proplems?

thatguruguy
January 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Is there a software out there to diagnose hardware proplems?

software to detect whether a connection is loose or worn out? That would be neat-o. Would the program jiggle each connection for you?

samwest
January 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
software to detect whether a connection is loose or worn out? That would be neat-o. Would the program jiggle each connection for you?
thanks for the reply. what about this ultimate boot cd thing does this help any?

Marvin666
January 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM
What's the model and make of the laptop? I know Toshiba Satallite L45 had a power jack, that was wired to the motherboard with a connector you can just unplug. Most ones just have it soldered to the motherboard.

macogw
January 27th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Take it to a repair shop. They should have the tools to heat the board up to 400°F and re-solder the jack.

undecim
January 27th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Both my mom and brother use Acer Aspires and had this happen to their laptops. The yellow plasic broke. and was apparently all that was holding the pin inside. Ended up order new power boards for both and replacing them. (it was another board that connected to the mobo which had the plug)

nerdy_kid
January 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM
ive replaced a one of these on a dell laptop once. Pretty easy, and i am not a pro with soldering either.
You can most likely find the piece off ebay or amazon.