PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard of StartCom EL5 ?

the lemming
May 8th, 2007, 10:45 PM
All weekend I have been trying unsucessfully to install ubuntu alongside my Xp.

Today while at work I happened accross a magazine called Linux Format which had a free DVD of StartCom Enterprise Linux 5. The article was way over my head but said that Red Hat had to make its source code available and somebody somewhere rebuilt RHEL5 and this is how StartCom EL5 got named. As I said way over my head.

When I got home I popped the disc in and I managed to get the distro to dual boot along side my XP OS. It has the same sort of feel as ubuntu and more importantly it is free, which is nice.

Anybody seen this or ever used it before?

RAV TUX
May 8th, 2007, 11:41 PM
All weekend I have been trying unsucessfully to install ubuntu alongside my Xp.

Today while at work I happened accross a magazine called Linux Format which had a free DVD of StartCom Enterprise Linux 5. The article was way over my head but said that Red Hat had to make its source code available and somebody somewhere rebuilt RHEL5 and this is how StartCom EL5 got named. As I said way over my head.

When I got home I popped the disc in and I managed to get the distro to dual boot along side my XP OS. It has the same sort of feel as ubuntu and more importantly it is free, which is nice.

Anybody seen this or ever used it before?Yes and there is probably an old Thread on it somewhere here.

I have been following the Startcom development for about a year now and have even been in correspondence with the Devs....

Honestly I could never get it working either, unfortunately, but I haven't tried the latest build, lost patience for the download.

Honestly if you want a Red Hat based distro, try any thing based on rPath; the top 3 are Foresight, Oz Linux, and rPath, respectively.

Adamant1988
May 9th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Yes and there is probably an old Thread on it somewhere here.

I have been following the Startcom development for about a year now and have even been in correspondence with the Devs....

Honestly I could never get it working either, unfortunately, but I haven't tried the latest build, lost patience for the download.

Honestly if you want a Red Hat based distro, try any thing based on rPath; the top 3 are Foresight, Oz Linux, and rPath, respectively.

You forgot the shameless plug tags, RAV. tsk tsk. ;)

Also, aren't those the ONLY 3 conary distros?

RAV TUX
May 18th, 2007, 01:38 AM
You forgot the shameless plug tags, RAV. tsk tsk. ;)

Also, aren't those the ONLY 3 conary distros?I haven't counted them all but there is probably about a hundred of them.