PDA

View Full Version : New CAD Project

buffbikedude
June 23rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Last year I was going to create yet another text editor, but a friend of mine said that wasn't a good idea, because there are plenty of free text editors out there. He suggested making a CAD program.

The idea just sunk in. I had thought about making a CAD program before, but at the time I talked to my friend I was just discovering the plethora of available programming language options, so I was more interested in development tools. Now I am interested in doing non-computer sciency stuff like building furniture and playing around with draftings of cars, planes, and buildings. Along with the rekindling of these interests, I have just discovered Ubuntu. Now the ideas have converged - I'll make a cross-platform CAD program using my favorite programming language, Python, which ties right into the world's greatest linux distribution.

So, in a nutshell, I am working on a CAD program in Python, that uses GTK+, libglade, and Cairo. Normally I would wait to say anything about it until I released at least an alpha, but I decided to start a project blog so people can follow the early development stages. You can check it out at http://exhibit80.blogspot.com/. I should be getting a subversion repository at python-hosting.com this week. For now I plan to release the code under the Apache 2.0 license, because there are GPL-incompatible libraries I will probably want to use.

Also, I'd be happy to discuss things here. Please feel free to give me ideas. Inevitably there will be some feasibility comments as well...

sapo
June 23rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
good lucky man!

Hope we can use your software someday and say "Man, this cad software rox!" :D