PDA

View Full Version : Linux and the Future

Holzberg
May 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I have read now that Dell will offer Ubuntu on their desktops. This is a HUGE step forward for not only Ubuntu, but Linux in general.

I have never used Ubuntu myself, but I have a Mandrake and Redhat server at home as well as work. I have installed the OS' and maintained them.

Now I don't use the OS' as a desktop for general use simply because I am afraid of compatibiity problems. I am a big gamer and not many games come out with Linux version.

I believe that getting software companies to create Linux versions of their software will be as a huge a step as Dell offering Linux on their systems.

Another problem I see is that on Windows machines, if the general user wants to install software they run an exe and maybe have to change some options in a GUI. In Linux, with my experience, is that if you want updated software you have to download the source, compile, and then set options and even that isn't as easy as it sounds. Of course this can be eliminated by having companies compile linux versions for you.

My point is, once Linux becomes user friendly, eaily upgraded, maintainable like Windows (for the most part), and compatible with all software then I think Microsoft will fall unless they make their software free.

Maybe things have changed the last couple of years and I haven't noticed. If this is so, then tell me and make me look like a dumbass. I am obviously not a Linux guru, but I have some knowledge. It is up to the Linux community to convince the general user that Linux is the way to go.

Thanks for reading,
Tony

tgm4883
May 8th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Things have change in the last couple years and you haven't noticed it.

:EDIT:

I suppose I should go into further detail.

Games (and other software in general)
Windows software can be run in a program called wine. Some programs it runs better than Windows, some run worse, some don't run at all. (Free)
Crossover Office runs windows software too. Can run some things that wine cannot, runs some things better(Not free)
Cedega is another piece of software that runs windows software. I think it is dedicated to games only. Does a pretty good job at it(Not free)

Updating Software
When I want to update any software on my Ubuntu system I run apt-get upgrade. That gives me the latest compiled release of all my software (thats in the repos). (It even pops a little message on my screen when there is any updated software that I have installed) If I see there is a newer version from the author that has a must have feature that I need, and it's not in the repos (yea right) then I can compile that by hand.

I don't think its up to the Linux community to convince someone that it is the way to go. I think it's up to the user to decide when they have had enough crap to decide to change. People that change without reason bug me. Not because I think people should have a reason to change, but because it's these people who come on the forums asking a question (usually along the lines of why something doesn't work like windows), get lots of help over an extended period of time, can't fix it themselves and run back to windows.