PDA

View Full Version : Is there any hardware that won't work on Linux with any amount of tinkering?

Extreme Coder
May 8th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Like the topic title says. I'm thinking Lexmark/Canon printers and webcams, and other exotic hardware... This list definitely needs to get smaller.

Extreme Coder

aysiu
May 8th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Yes.

goumples
May 8th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Like the topic title says. I'm thinking Lexmark/Canon printers and webcams, and other exotic hardware... This list definitely needs to get smaller.

Extreme Coder

My Lexmark printer works fine on Linux \\:D/

In fact I've yet to fine a piece of hardware that I couldn't make work on Linux.

icechen1
May 8th, 2007, 03:03 AM
My microphone won't work because of a bug in ALSA. :(

Happy_Man
May 8th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Not if you use the right distro. For example, i had been trying for months to get my webcam to work in ubuntu. Then one day as i was playing around with kopete settings in kubuntu, i find that my webcam miraculously worked! Lesson: always go with the distro that serves your needs, and don't jump on the bandwagon.

jerrylamos
May 8th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Well, the Epson Stylus printer driver works, but the utility for cleaning the heads and changing the cartridge is ******* specific and won't work. Wine does not intend to support such utilities either. So I quad boot....

Cheers, Jerry

Extreme Coder
May 8th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Well, the Epson Stylus printer driver works, but the utility for cleaning the heads and changing the cartridge is ******* specific and won't work. Wine does not intend to support such utilities either. So I quad boot....

Cheers, Jerry

Jerry, you may want to check this out:
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/escputil.1.html

Extreme Coder

steven8
May 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM
all of my hardware works without tinkering.