PDA

View Full Version : koffice looking promising

matthekc
May 8th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I have used kde and gnome I like them both and hope not to start a bash.

I was looking at krita and the rest of the koffice suite and it looks like it might be very nice pretty soon. I am looking forward to seeing kde 4 and koffice 2. I wonder how long till koffice or openoffice can rival the redmond suite.

maniacmusician
May 8th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I find that KOffice 1 is not really as competitive, but I've been watching the development of KOffice 2 and it does look like it's coming along nicely.

Dragonbite
May 8th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Is KOffice any lighter (on resources) than OpenOffice?

I've actually had to drop to Abiword and Gnumetric for the time being, but have thought about a KDE-orientated system using KOffice instead of OpenOffice and Krita instead of Gnome (etc. .. etc ... )

GeneralZod
May 8th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Everything's lighter on resources than OpenOffice :)

However, the KOffice guys appear to have almost no interest in supporting proprietary formats, so if you need to work with .doc files, you might want to look elsewhere.

igknighted
May 8th, 2007, 06:45 PM

I've actually had to drop to Abiword and Gnumetric for the time being, but have thought about a KDE-orientated system using KOffice instead of OpenOffice and Krita instead of Gnome (etc. .. etc ... )

Krita is very nice. It is still young, but has some features that GIMP does not (true CMYK for example). It is awesome. Also Karbon14 is good, albeit not as nice as inkscape. The office suite is also really good. It is very light on a KDE system, in the abiword/gnumeric range. The features are getting there. I think KOffice 2 will be really something. It is going to be cross-platform so I bet .doc support will be better, and qt4 in general allows for some stunning looks. I am very excited. I would like to see it default in Kubuntu soon.

lzfy
May 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I removed OO from my Kubuntu box and installed Koffice just because it's a Qt app :D . But I haven't worked with it it too much so I can't really say which one is better.

karellen
May 8th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I have used kde and gnome I like them both and hope not to start a bash.

I was looking at krita and the rest of the koffice suite and it looks like it might be very nice pretty soon. I am looking forward to seeing kde 4 and koffice 2. I wonder how long till koffice or openoffice can rival the redmond suite.

not in the near future. koffice can't even rival openoffice, not talking about office 2007

matthekc
May 8th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I know koffice has a long way to go but they are covering ground fast and seem to be building momentum. I see talk of a windows port. I hear the code is good and the framework mostly set. It looks like it might be a lot of feature and bug work after 2.0 . Of course I'm no programmer or analyst so I could be wrong.

bailout
May 9th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Koffice is great in terms of resources and features are coming along nicely. However, I was really dissappointed when using it recently to find that .odf documents aren't handled the same in koffice and OOo. The whole point of an open shared format is that documents can be used in either app. If they can't then they might as well have their own formats.

karellen
May 9th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Koffice is great in terms of resources and features are coming along nicely. However, I was really dissappointed when using it recently to find that .odf documents aren't handled the same in koffice and OOo. The whole point of an open shared format is that documents can be used in either app. If they can't then they might as well have their own formats.

yeap, I've noticed that too ;)
luckily I don't use koffice that much...