PDA

View Full Version : Writing code in Gedit.

tylerjames
May 8th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Hey everyone,

Been working through some RoR tutorials and using Gedit to add some code.

Problem is when you load up a pre-generated .rhtml or .rb file it seems that all the functions are only tabbed in about 2 spaces, but when you press the tab key in Gedit it tabs in about 8 spaces. It makes it annoying since I've grown fairly accustomed to keeping things aligned using the Tab key.

I tried to change the tab distance to 2 spaces but that affected everything aversely by moving the code to the left six spaces so that it was in line with the def and end parts of the function.

Is there another way I should be going about this? Or should I just resign myself to aligning functions using the spacebar?

finer recliner
May 8th, 2007, 02:51 AM
there are better editors out there than gedit. most people will side with emacs or vi.

while those may not help you either. i recommend either wiriting a perl script to fix the error for you or do it by hand ;)

Wybiral
May 8th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I use GEdit for all of my programming (C, assembly, PHP, Javascript, Python)...

Use space insertion instead of actual tabs (Gedit had an option for this). You can't go wrong there. You may have to convert the previous tabs to spaces, but you can write a quick RE in python/perl/ruby or something to do this pretty easily.

Tabs are terrible... Not every editor uses the same spacing so there is no way to tell how it will be formated, and if you're like me, I don't exceed 80 characters per line... That's impossible to gauge with tabs, so I only use space-tabs.