PDA

View Full Version : Information Technology

bennyj
May 8th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Hi,I was wondering if I could pick your brain(s) a little.I am considering getting into the IT field and was hoping I could get some feed back about what the best way to accomplish this would be?I have no formal trainging in the computer field.I would like to know if you think getting an online degree is the way to go? or certifications.Whats the best way and what do employers look for the most?
Thanks

Tomosaur
May 8th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Hi,I was wondering if I could pick your brain(s) a little.I am considering getting into the IT field and was hoping I could get some feed back about what the best way to accomplish this would be?I have no formal trainging in the computer field.I would like to know if you think getting an online degree is the way to go? or certifications.Whats the best way and what do employers look for the most?
Thanks

IT is a very broad field, you'll need to sit down and consider which area you'll want to get into specifically. There are courses available which will cover a very wide range of topics, but a broad range of knowledge is not necessarily a great thing - you can know about lots of things, but you will need to know a LOT about a (relatively) SMALL number of things to get the best jobs.

bennyj
May 8th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the reply.I was thinking along the lines of Networking.Do you have to have a degree or would it be better to get certifications.Im basicly trying to figure out the best approach to take.

Somenoob
May 8th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Yeah I guess choosing what sub-field(s) would be the next logical step.

Compucore
May 8th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Well there is Cisco Certification if your looking to get your degree in networking. Or get certification with Extreme networks http://www.extremenetworks.com/ I think there was one other one but I cannot think of it right now.

COmpucore

Thanks for the reply.I was thinking along the lines of Networking.Do you have to have a degree or would it be better to get certifications.Im basicly trying to figure out the best approach to take.

meman63
May 8th, 2007, 04:46 AM
If you are really willing to learn ALOT about how IT works,and how to secure it,I would recommend
https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=538
Now,the sec field is pretty difficult just to jump into,there are great resources on the web.Plus the money is good.You WILL REALLY have to learn ALOT,but the payoff CAN BE very REWARDING(in the personal,as well as the monetary)in the long run!

We are always looking for bright people in our industry.give it a look.

As always
Regards,
Red

reclusivemonkey
May 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM

The majority of jobs in Networking will require you to have some experience. This will be the most difficult aspect. Its a catch 22 situation. I would look out for anywhere (paid or volunteer) where you can get some "hands on" experience.

0vv1
May 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM
The majority of jobs in Networking will require you to have some experience. This will be the most difficult aspect. Its a catch 22 situation. I would look out for anywhere (paid or volunteer) where you can get some "hands on" experience.

This is excellent advice. Am an IT manager for a mid-sized company and I can tell you that an applicant would never get past our human resources department without a) paper (certification or degree) and b) experience. So focus on getting both however you can.

I would think the shortcuts would be to complete a degree program (most schools have placement assistance) and make friends in the business.

0vv1

bennyj
May 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Thank you everyone for the replys! How would one go about finding somewhere to volunteer?I am currently not in this field and none of my friends are either,so I am a little lost.I would be more than happy to do it though to get some hands on.Any suggestions as to where I might look?

reclusivemonkey
May 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM
School, College, Business, Cyber Cafe, anywhere you can find a network? How old are you and where do you live?

bennyj
May 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM
School, College, Business, Cyber Cafe, anywhere you can find a network? How old are you and where do you live?

I live in southern calif.I have been in the Transportation industry for some time now and have discovered(A little later in life,43)that I realy enjoy working with comp.So with that im mind I thought I could do some online courses at night to obtain a degree in Information Technology/Networking and try migrating over to a new industry.

The only network I have access to is the one in my home.I have 4 comps set up on a network here.

reclusivemonkey
May 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I live in southern calif.I have been in the Transportation industry for some time now and have discovered(A little later in life,43)that I realy enjoy working with comp.So with that im mind I thought I could do some online courses at night to obtain a degree in Information Technology/Networking and try migrating over to a new industry.

I'd do a mail shot to every SME/Organisation within a radius you can travel to reasonably. It might be difficult, but I am sure there will be someone who will be happy to have your help. I think this will be easier once you actually have some qualifications.

The only network I have access to is the one in my home.I have 4 comps set up on a network here.

I'm afraid I don't think this counts for much :-S

feign
May 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM
My background, I've been in IT on the systems side of things for over 10 years and have been working with computers for 20 years (I'm 36).

I am going to share a few thoughts on the thread.

I think volunteering is a good idea. However I know if someone approached me about volunteering I would want to see some minimal credentials before I gave them access to my network and/or my facilities. I think it would be good to take the advice here and try to get in somewhere as a volunteer, just don't be discouraged by a lot of closed doors.

Secondly, I am sure there are many credible online degree programs. However, when I see a resume come in to me from some major nation-wide (since you are in the US too) degree program I immediately think of it as a minus. If you want to get a degree I think you would be better suited spending your time at a community college.

I think certification would be a good start for you. You don't need to 'shoot for the moon' on your first shot. I would take things slow and get something like an A+ certification for starters. Even though this focus on system more, it would be good warm up to help you get in the mindset of how the certification systems work and the type of testing you would encounter in it. If you enjoy the networking side of things you could then look to Cisco's CCNA program.

Finally, although I am not in one presently I found in my teenage years a local computer group was a good way to network with like minded people and get contacts of people who work in the industry you seek to be in.

Good luck