As the title suggests:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/release/2007.0/2007.0-press-release.txt

Fast downloads as well ;)

justin whitaker
May 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM
As the title suggests:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/release/2007.0/2007.0-press-release.txt

Fast downloads as well ;)

Wow. I might have to take another look. Hopefully, they fixed the installer. :)

Pobega
May 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Finally, this means I can FINALLY install it on my laptop; The 2.6.16 kernel on 2006.1 didn't support my ethernet (Realtek) well enough for me to get a connection. Maybe now I'll be able to install Gentoo properly :D

FuturePilot
May 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Hehe, perfect timing. I decided to download Gentoo and try it out. Then I realized they just released a new version:)

cotcot
May 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Wow. I might have to take another look. Hopefully, they fixed the installer. :)
I would still not use the installer.

zaratustra
May 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I've managed to crash installer:) But there is an advance:))

Kingsley
May 14th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I've always thought of Gentoo as a version-less distro.

igknighted
May 14th, 2007, 05:59 AM

It is rolling release. All a new release means is that there is a new installer available.

Ateo
May 14th, 2007, 09:12 AM

That's because it is... well, actually, I think baselayout is what really defines gentoo's version... but that's just me.

--------

I downloaded the live CD. It crashed. So much for a GUI installer.

Compyx
May 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I tried the LiveCD-installer, but for some reason the kernel-config dialog just asked me if I was finished without giving me a chance to actually configure my kernel. A lot of people have problems with the new installer, so I'd just use the netinstal-CD and do a
emerge --emptytree world as soon as possible.

The netinstall method always works like a charm.

zaratustra
May 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM
That's because it is... well, actually, I think baselayout is what really defines gentoo's version... but that's just me.
I agree with ya:) I hope baselayout-2.0.0 will became stable soon.

I tried the LiveCD-installer, but for some reason the kernel-config dialog just asked me if I was finished without giving me a chance to actually configure my kernel. A lot of people have problems with the new installer, so I'd just use the netinstal-CD and do a
emerge --emptytree world as soon as possible.

The netinstall method always works like a charm. This is probably because there is no kernel sources in livecd, is think, and it can installs only precompiled livecd kernel unless you use other method of install. I prefer to use cli install with stage3, and before compiling anyadditional packages, i usually do
emerge --oneshot system on installed stage3 system, because all this installer stuff is freaky and I don't like to compile much stuff (glibc,gcc) on livecd environment, and effect is the same.

Ateo
May 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
The quality of the 2007.0 release leaves a lot to be desired. I've been a Gentoo user for 5 years and with each release, the quality just gets worse.

Don't get me wrong. I don't 'upgrade'. I just download the new ISOs to see what the new installer looks like. Looks like I will continue to use my trusted 1.2 Live CD. =)

justin whitaker
May 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I would still not use the installer.

Really? How bad is it? I really don't see the point of emerging out of a stage 3 install...it ties up my core system for too long, and I have yet to have a successful install that allowed me to get to KDE or Gnome after the endless compile. Complete waste of time to my mind, especially when Sabayon is out there providing a competing product that is easier to install and gets you to the same end result.

Ateo
May 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Really? How bad is it? I really don't see the point of emerging out of a stage 3 install...it ties up my core system for too long, and I have yet to have a successful install that allowed me to get to KDE or Gnome after the endless compile. Complete waste of time to my mind, especially when Sabayon is out there providing a competing product that is easier to install and gets you to the same end result.

++

Exactly. It's a waste of time, in my mind, to use the Gentoo live CD now that Sabayon Linux exists.

ThinkBuntu
May 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I was so psyched for Sabayon...the DVD lagged for me, so I ordered a Mini CD (my burned copy didn't work) but I experienced Gentoo hell with OpenOffice. My first emerge (not ever, just on this system) was for openoffice. 5 hours later, it still wasn't finished. Next!

Granted, I'm on a laptop using open wireless networks. Maybe I'd see things differently on a higher-spec desktop with an ethernet hookup.

Ateo
May 14th, 2007, 06:23 PM
You compile OpenOffice? You're brave.

Compyx
May 16th, 2007, 07:08 AM
You compile OpenOffice? You're brave.

I did that a few times, it only takes about 4.5GB disk space for intermediate files and many hours of cpu-time. Of course all that was before I found out about 'openoffice-bin'. ;)

Pobega
May 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I was so psyched for Sabayon...the DVD lagged for me, so I ordered a Mini CD (my burned copy didn't work) but I experienced Gentoo hell with OpenOffice. My first emerge (not ever, just on this system) was for openoffice. 5 hours later, it still wasn't finished. Next!

Granted, I'm on a laptop using open wireless networks. Maybe I'd see things differently on a higher-spec desktop with an ethernet hookup.

That's why they have OpenOffice.org binaries available. I believe Gentoo's binaries are limited to OOo, GNOME and KDE, but I could be wrong (Not a Gentoo user).

mips
May 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I believe Gentoo's binaries are limited to OOo, GNOME and KDE, but I could be wrong (Not a Gentoo user).

Wrong on the KDE & Gnome one. They have binaries for stuff like Java, Firefox, Seamonkey, diskreport, cromwell, ddcxinfo-knoppix, netlogo, wengophone, sancho, simpserver, staden, frostwire, nessus, mplayer, shoutcast, savage, stoned, hoh, drod and a whole bunch of games and other stuff etc.

Ateo
May 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I did that a few times, it only takes about 4.5GB disk space for intermediate files and many hours of cpu-time. Of course all that was before I found out about 'openoffice-bin'. ;)

I did that once. 6 hours later... uh hum.... just like I use to always do a stage 1..

After that and from then on saw use of the binary in portage.... hehe...

fakie_flip
May 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM
I've got dual core now. I wonder how much that would speed up the the compiling. I can also overclock the cpu during the time I need to compile.

Enverex
May 21st, 2007, 12:04 PM
Dual core (if you go on the premise that your previous processor was the same speed as a single core in your new dual core) is ~almost~ twice as fast, as long as the code that is being compiled allows for concurrent compilation. So that's nice (I assume it's virtually entirely CPU power dependant going by that).