PDA

View Full Version : Super Linux Noobie Guide?

esaym
May 7th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I was going to write a how to for my friend to use to install ubuntu. But then after talking to him I find out that he knows alot less about... well everything. For instance I told him that if he wanted to dual boot that we would have to resize the windows partition. He for some reason thought that Ubuntu could be installed to the same windows filesystem partition. I told him "no" and that linux uses a different filesystem then windows. His response was that he thought there was only 2 filesystems (I guess in the world?).

So I know I have seem some people post links to good linux information sites and how to's. I didn't save any of them so does anybody have some good links? Mainly about what linux is and how to install ubuntu. I don't want to write one if there are already some good ones out there....

loserboy
May 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM
The new user documentation has alot of good stuff and covers things like that, I would point him there first and see how it goes https://help.ubuntu.com/

aysiu
May 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ is targeted specifically at new users.

Kunstar
May 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Alternatively, you could try:

http://ubuntuclips.org/

It has a great selection of videos guiding you through d/l the ISO image > burning to a CD > Installing (+Partitioning) Ubuntu.

Its how I went from knowing nothing about how to install Ubuntu to doing it myself in a few days

fakie_flip
May 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
They are all over the internet, and in books. Have you tried searching google?

www.ubuntuguide.org

fakie_flip
May 7th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I was going to write a how to for my friend to use to install ubuntu. But then after talking to him I find out that he knows alot less about... well everything. For instance I told him that if he wanted to dual boot that we would have to resize the windows partition. He for some reason thought that Ubuntu could be installed to the same windows filesystem partition. I told him "no" and that linux uses a different filesystem then windows. His response was that he thought there was only 2 filesystems (I guess in the world?).

So I know I have seem some people post links to good linux information sites and how to's. I didn't save any of them so does anybody have some good links? Mainly about what linux is and how to install ubuntu. I don't want to write one if there are already some good ones out there....

You could bring him to a satlug meeting or an install fest at satlug to get some help with installing, but they really don't like dual boots there.

agurk
May 7th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Wow, you have friends that at least pretend to know what a file system is? I'm jealous. :)
Just for the hell of it, I gave a most un-tech savvy friend of mine an Ubuntu Edgy live CD some time ago. I checked back with him a couple of days later and found out he'd actually been able to boot it (BIOS was likely already configured to use the CD as first boot device). Asking him what he thought about it, he said he'd been able to surf the web after having recognized that red fox thingy.. "it's called Google, right?"

Anyway, what I guess I'm trying to say is, be prepared to offer some support until your friend has learnt how to swim these waters.

(P.S. I decided to keep my friend on Windows, at least for now)

esaym
May 8th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Thats for the responses. This is actually just an internet buddy that hangs out on another non-tech forum. I plan on making an informative how-to thread for ubuntu on there.

Keep the websites coming! :KS