PDA

View Full Version : chroot installation

Foxmike
May 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Hi! Here is the situation: I installed Ubuntu Linux as main OS 1 1/2 year ago and got addict to it! I now want to learn more about linux in general so I decided to dual-boot with Gentoo. Gentoo base system went flawlessly (after the second trial...) and I want now to install GNOME, but I am not the only one that uses the computer and I don't want to lock it into command-line/compile process. I would rather want to be able to use Ubuntu while Gentoo is emerging GNOME and dependencies.

So, here is the question: is it possible to boot Ubuntu, mount all necessary Gentoo partitions, chroot into Gentoo to emerge GNOME while keeping Ubuntu up and running (so my wife will still be able to go on internet and read e-mails while Gentoo is compiling)?

Thank you!:)

Foxmike
May 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Okayu , after a little search on the Gentoo forums, the answer is YES!:). Thanks anyway!:)

Billy McCann
May 8th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Foxmike,

Good luck with your Gentoo installation. I think you and I are on similar paths. :)

Foxmike
May 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks, same to you!:)

Actually, as Gentoo 2007.0 just came out and I just did the base 2006.1 install + xorg, I think I will just re-begin the installation... and now take my time for the kernel configuration because I just realised that with the conf I am using now, I won't have any USB support... let's get reading!:)

By the way, here is the link for the thread I posted on gentoo forums:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-557857-highlight-.html