PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Release Party, Montrose, Susquehanna County, PA, May 17

n3gbz
May 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
(Montrose, PA, is just south of Binghamton, NY, about 24 miles from Binghamton University)

On Thursday, May 17, 2007, at 6:30 PM the Downtown Grounds Cafe in Montrose, Susquehanna County, PA will be hosting an Ubuntu Release Party to celebrate the Feisty Fawn release.

The evening will consist of a brief OOo Impress presentation, some demos (maybe just YouTube videos), followed by a Q&A session. At least three systems will be available for hands-on experimentation, a Kubuntu, an Edubunto and a plain Ubuntu.

Our primary goal is to increase public awareness about Ubuntu, Linux and FLOSS. While the owner of Downtown Grounds is not a geek herself, she was very impressed with photos of the Linux Caffe in Toronto, especially with the ten-foot Tux the Penguin, and would like to develop a local Linux hangout.

The event will be targeted towards non-technical computer users not Linux geeks but everyone of course is invited. I would personally love to see a group of techies meeting-up and planning an installfest.

If you have friends/family in the area, please tell them about this event

Hendrixski
May 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Hey, that's pretty cool. for those who are too lazy to pull out Google maps, montrose is pretty much right where NY bends in half on the southern part (you know how it's shaped like a gun, so montrose would be the trigger).
That middle part of NY hasn't been serviced well because our hubs of activity seem to be NYC and Rochester. I think it would be pretty good to have a few New Yorkers from around there participate in that.

I'm in Rochester, some 4 hours away, so, while I won't be going, I will thank you for posting :-)

n3gbz
May 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
You are welcome. I do have one or two people from New York (http://www.stnylug.org/) coming to help.

Binghamton University has a Linux Technology Center (http://bultc.binghamton.edu/) so I expected to see more participation here in the forum from the Southern Tier.

I liked your location description. I never heard this area identified that way!

n3gbz
May 19th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Four attendees at the event were from the Southern TIer New York Linux Users Group and I really appreciated their encouragement and support.

Another four attendees came from Binghamton just to see what Ubuntu was all about.

Everyone was impressed with the desktop effects, especially since I was running an older (three years) laptop with integrated graphics and only 376MB of user memory.

And I think everyone was very impressed with Ubuntu in general.

Hopefully the forum will see some Binghamton members soon!