PDA

View Full Version : What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

fela
August 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Closed for review.Please remember the the Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) when posting.

Can we add a feature to the forums so we can complain about other users? So the staff can see if they're bad enough to kick off the forums or whatever, or just give them a bad warning.

This would be great as it would stop me from losing my temper.

Tibuda
August 28th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Can we add a feature to the forums so we can complain about other users? So the staff can see if they're bad enough to kick off the forums or whatever, or just give them a bad warning.

This would be great as it would stop me from losing my temper.

Like the report button (http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/report.gif)?

fela
August 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Like the report button (http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/report.gif)?

My eyes must be going crazy. I honestly have never seen that in 3 years of using the forums! :lolflag:

gabak
August 28th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I think gaming is the most important for a lot of people. Also a lot of professionals miss Photoshop.

well with crossover you can install almost any popular software in linux , like office and photoshop that that is nt a problem any more

silent_shade
August 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
One thing for me. My built-in microphone wouldn't work with linux no matter how hard I try and how long I work around.
Aside from this - everything is either just different of both different AND better than it was with MS

ceti331
August 29th, 2009, 06:13 AM
the decline of opengl is a problem.

nestor_stura
August 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Maybe you have an answer for me in this matter. I'm really new with Linux.
There is a web page with TV videos that says to work only with IExplorer. I tried it with Opera and Firefox and it did not show them.
Is there any way to bypass this limitation with Ubuntu?

Thanks all.

fela
August 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
well with crossover you can install almost any popular software in linux , like office and photoshop that that is nt a problem any more

That's not true. While wine/crossover provides compatibility with a few apps, this isn't the be all and end all (more like the ugly kludge of the year), and lots of apps don't work correctly with wine.

Also I think it totally contradicts the point of using Linux: we use it to get away from windows, so why run windows apps if you want to get away from windows? I have a windows partition for windows apps, and a linux partition for linux apps (plus my sanity ;)).

Groucho Marxist
August 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Also I think it totally contradicts the point of using Linux: we use it to get away from windows, so why run windows apps if you want to get away from windows? I have a windows partition for windows apps, and a linux partition for linux apps (plus my sanity ;)).

Agreed; the only reason why I'm dual-booting is so that I can play certain games that naturally run smoother in Windows (i.e. Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete Edition; Batman: Arkham Asylum).

dynamichydra
August 30th, 2009, 04:05 PM
gaming is the main issue for a teenager. Another main problem is that, maximum 3rd party softwares and utilities are for windows. those software manufacturer recommends windows for better sales of their products.

BCPlanner
August 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...

so far the only thing i have found that i cant do anymore is gaming and a few online videos dont work sometimes

also, add anything to the list that makes one better or worse than the other, such as linux being practically virus free

Unless SCRIBUS can create long, compliated documents with indexing, footnotes, frames, inter- and intra-chapter (section) xrefs, import external files (text nd graphics)to create a complete book, provide multi-column formats with precise positoning of one and multi-column graphics, and provide type control (small caps, large caps, side heads) and can import "styled" documents and read-and-apply the original document's styles, than that is something that can be done on Windows, Mac, and Unix platforms but not Linux Ubuntu.

So far, eveerything I've seem about SCRIBUS suggests that as a desktop publishing tool it is sorely lacking (and not worth my time or disk space to load). With windows I have (had) FrameMaker, Interleaf, Ventura, PageMaker, Quark Express (admittedly none of them are free) - I own (old) licenses for the first 3 on Windows - of them all, I prefer Ventura (!).

SCRIBUS users - if you create long publications (mil spec IOMs, IPBs, etc.) and proposals, let me know if my current suppositions are corect; I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

BCPlanner at gmail dot com

psablo
September 5th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Linux has been a little behind in the CAD department but I'm getting used to QCad and Liking it as well or better than AutoCad, however, I still use WINE for VISIO and VirtualBox (running WinXP) for Revit, other than that I see no need for anything Microsoft.

donniezazen
September 5th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Ubuntu cannot sync iPhone. I hate it.

Znupi
September 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Yes, that is sad. But that is not Ubuntu's fault, you know.

petersohn
September 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hardware is still a problem sometimes (Intel video cards, for example), but there are serious improvements lately. When I first installed Ubuntu, I had a hard time making my WiFi work, but now it works fine. And the video card problem seems to being solved.

Some software are developed only for Windows, but they are mostly not for everyday users.

GIMP may be no match for Photoshop for professionals, but they use Mac anyway. For web developers, GIMP is perfect.

Znupi
September 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
For web developers, GIMP is perfect.
I'm a webdeveloper, but I could never get a hold of GIMP. I use Inkscape for designing.

Tipped OuT
September 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Yes, that is sad. But that is not Ubuntu's fault, you know.

Yeah... doesn't mean it's not an issue that needs to be solved. Not an excuse. ;)

JC Cheloven
September 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Not linux itself, but the apps.

I do everything related to music: playing, composing & aranging, sound editing, etc. I don't need my computer to play :-) but for the other tasks I haven't find reasonable free software replacements.

Sound editing is a bit closer to reasonable: I quite like Rosegarden Traverso and Ardour (but still...). I guess that a big part of the problem is the messy sound in linux itself.

Score writing is not there. MuseScore and Nted are on the way, but there is a long way to go.

I ckeck out once year to see if things have evolved. I wish there would be huge improvements the next time. I'ts the only reason I didn't switch completely to linux...

coldReactive
September 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Linux can't play the WMVA Codec ;)

Nipas
September 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
As I know active-x is available only in Windows (as active-x is a microsoft technology)

golfinjoe
September 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Windows can rip music at a faster speed than linux.....My fastest download of one cd to linux is 57 minutes and can't find where it's stored

fazza
September 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
hmm... mine can rip at almost 40x speed, which rips in about 2 minutes :)

fela
September 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Windows can rip music at a faster speed than linux.....My fastest download of one cd to linux is 57 minutes and can't find where it's stored

That's a problem with your config, not with Linux.

aonegodman
September 7th, 2009, 11:31 PM
For one thing, it can INstall/UNinstall programs faster, quicker, easier than Ubuntu can. I may be wrong here and hope someone can point me to the right resource to uninstall programs.

Tibuda
September 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
For one thing, it can INstall/UNinstall programs faster, quicker, easier than Ubuntu can. I may be wrong here and hope someone can point me to the right resource to uninstall programs.

Applications > Add/remove ?

aonegodman
September 8th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for reply, I think I tried both the Add/Remove Package Handler and Synaptic to locate and remove Urban Terror, but neither of them sees the files. It was installed using a .deb package, and Terminal. I'm thinking I need a command line script or syntax to remove these files.

Chronon
September 8th, 2009, 12:06 AM

Tell me about it. I hate my iPod Touch for the same reason.

Tibuda
September 8th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for reply, I think I tried both the Add/Remove Package Handler and Synaptic to locate and remove Urban Terror, but neither of them sees the files. It was installed using a .deb package, and Terminal. I'm thinking I need a command line script or syntax to remove these files.

Urban Terror is shipped in a compressed archive (http://www.urbanterror.net/page.php?6) that you extract to somewhere in your home folder. Just delete the folder you uncompressed it.

If you have not found it in Synaptic, you can't uninstall it using the apt-get command.

Ric_NYC
September 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I cant play high definition flash videos with good performance in Linux.
Can you?

Giant Speck
September 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Yeah... doesn't mean it's not an issue that needs to be solved. Not an excuse. ;)

Actually, there is a valid excuse: the legality of attempting to do such a thing is questionable.

Rrasyrogenees
September 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM
it is a sad thing to have to compare two (or is it three with the Macs) different operating systems... i think if all things were the same as far as program support was equal for both then people would finally see that any linux system would out perform windows in everything. and i stress the fact that most companies are making more $$$ because of the "windows" factor (at least hat is what i am calling it). spend more money because that means it is better... not even close.

the fact that Windows is so "money" hungry shows most to me that they are afraid of linux even though at the moment windows systems out number linux systems 5-1 more or less in the private sector. but being out-numbered doesn't mean linux systems are not as good, they are just not plug n play type for those that want their computers to be used as monitor players instead of doing real computer work on them. emails, surfing the web, messengers, facebook and flixter, such is the use of their computers... over powered machines limited because they don't have the desire to test a computer's full potential. why use a good system like linux when you can get Windows to do all your thinking for you for a few extra $$$... althought those $$$ seem to grow to larger amounts every use of windows and yet those same "sheep" pay for their supposed savings of time.

emails, surfing, all those things can be done better and without scare to virus's and such if they would only take a moment or two to setup a superior system... but "OMG... that means i have to think?" "you mean i should have to spend extra time now so that i won't have to spend more time later trying to get back all the things lost from a virus or a crash?" some people don't think... some people think too much and about the wrong things... linux system users just like to be in control of their destiny... sounds good to me...

anyway... that is my opinion to add to all the other opinions in this world... enjoy

mister_p_1998
September 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Connect to a Minidisc recorder/Player...
Shame
Steve

Roasted
September 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
why use a good system like linux when you can get Windows to do all your thinking for you for a few extra $$$... althought those $$$ seem to grow to larger amounts every use of windows and yet those same "sheep" pay for their supposed savings of time.

This section stuck out to me... Particularly getting Windows to do the thinking for you for money. What does this mean? I personally find Ubuntu to do what I want it to much easier than Windows. If anything, I'd pay for Ubuntu if it would cost money - whereas I would not pay for Windows.

I do not think using Ubuntu is hard. I believe thoroughly that Ubuntu (and most Linux versions in general) are relatively easy to use. It's just they're different than what most users are used to seeing, hence where the "Linux is hard" notion comes from with most users. At work, I use the command prompt in XP just as much as I use the terminal in Linux. There's enough simplicity in both systems for the average user to use, while Linux especially has enough advanced features to keep even the crazier Linux fanatics happy.

The time I realized this was when my girlfriend started using my computer. I dual boot Vista/Ubuntu, I have a Mac laptop and she has an XP laptop. She can sit down at any of my computers or her XP laptop and navigate her way around just fine. Once she knew Synaptic Package Manager on Ubuntu was to install software, she was good to go. Granted, I wouldn't expect her to set up a Samba file server in Ubuntu, however I wouldn't expect her to set up an FTP server in XP either.

The systems are all user friendly enough for the common non-techie to use just fine. Whether it's 7, Vista, XP, OSX, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. I just feel as though Linux has far more customizable features and a limitless roof of opportunity, therefore making it seem just that much, do I dare say, "easier" than Windows... in my opinion...

Compintuit
September 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I've experimented with linux pretty thoroughly, and can do most things. So I have some thoughts I thought I'd share, of what I've lost by switching to linux. You may be surprised what one can lose, when windows has been tweaked beyond all belief.

1. Speed. Though people don't want to believe it, Windows XP reacts faster then any of the main distributions. The apps do too. For whatever reason, those milliseconds that pass before an action happens make linux seem far less responsive. I mean, linux actually does do many things faster - I can load firefox faster, search my history faster, and generally actions that take a while faster, but for all actions the response time is just a little bit slower...
2. Touchpad Support. It was a massive pain just to enable horizontal scrolling, and I still have a host of features I'm missing. i) Though there is virtual scrolling, there is no "Coasting", to continue to move after I've reached the end of the touchpad. ii) Edge motion. When I reached the end of the touchpad, the mouse would continue until I removed my finger from the touchpad. iii) tap zones - tap a corner of the touchpad, and have an action happen. It increased my productivity many times. Instead I have a left-click and middle click emulation on two corners of the touchpad, indicating that the software exists and I'm just unable to learn how to change things. There are also a host of other features for touchpads linux does not have. I know it's not linux's fault they provided no driver, but nonetheless this is still an issue.
3. I've lost some power management capabilities. Not much, but I have still lost some. There were profiles in Windows to switch easily between power draws- in Linux if I start a heavy task and want to crank up the processor, it is no longer so easy. I also lost the ability to resume from hibernation automatically, so I can no longer use my comp as an alarm clock.
4. Sound just doesn't sound as good. My Toshiba laptop had a Virtual Surround Sound thing that made sound sound real. AFAIK nothing like this exists for linux.
5. Flash is slower - way slower. Few players will play without dropping frames. Fullscreen is a nightmare. I actually hate flash, and am really glad that it is being replaced with pure video streaming, but that's not entirely here yet.
6. Finally, I have problems with package management. It doesn't keep stuff up to date. I understand the reasons for this, but it is still disappointing. Freemind? 10 versions behind. Midori? 7. Getting Firefox 3.5 was annoying, too. I find that to be a shame - and I'm not advanced enough to compile and later, uninstall from source. A shame. And I detest having software installed in my home directory! Package management is fine. While I think some policies are strange, I've learned more about repositories and how to get dev versions - even automatically updated! If I want to run software portably, I can do that too, though it's harder.
7. I do miss a little bit of software. I miss both utorrent (If only for the RSS + Filtering) and notepad++ (That has one heck of a lot of functions, believe me!) considerably. I miss itunes, though only for the ability to sync with my ipod touch. There is a lot of proxying software for windows, which does not run with linux. It just made using proxies so much easier. I'm going to research this more, I think I could do something like that with linux. But I miss operaTor!. I miss Screamer, a radio browsing program - It had a whole lot of radio streams listed. I miss only the capability to run some games, as most run well in wine. I miss a few features of sandboxie, though I know they can easily be replicated, if I only knew how. I miss FreeOCR, and a bit wikipad, as it doesn't run natively. Tom's etext reader I miss too.

So that what linux can't do :) If anyone knows how to do any of that (W/O virtualisation, or WINE) please share. Linux is superior in so many ways, I wouldn't consider going back to windows!

Chronon
September 8th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Actually, there is a valid excuse: the legality of attempting to do such a thing is questionable.

In what way is it illegal to reverse engineer how to use hardware?

Roasted
September 9th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I've experimented with linux pretty thoroughly, and can do most things. So I have some thoughts I thought I'd share, of what I've lost by switching to linux. You may be surprised what one can lose, when windows has been tweaked beyond all belief.

1. Speed. Though people don't want to believe it, Windows XP reacts faster then any of the main distributions. The apps do too. For whatever reason, those milliseconds that pass before an action happens make linux seem far less responsive. I mean, linux actually does do many things faster - I can load firefox faster, search my history faster, and generally actions that take a while faster, but for all actions the response time is just a little bit slower...
2. Touchpad Support. It was a massive pain just to enable horizontal scrolling, and I still have a host of features I'm missing. i) Though there is virtual scrolling, there is no "Coasting", to continue to move after I've reached the end of the touchpad. ii) Edge motion. When I reached the end of the touchpad, the mouse would continue until I removed my finger from the touchpad. iii) tap zones - tap a corner of the touchpad, and have an action happen. It increased my productivity many times. Instead I have a left-click and middle click emulation on two corners of the touchpad, indicating that the software exists and I'm just unable to learn how to change things. There are also a host of other features for touchpads linux does not have. I know it's not linux's fault they provided no driver, but nonetheless this is still an issue.
3. I've lost some power management capabilities. Not much, but I have still lost some. There were profiles in Windows to switch easily between power draws- in Linux if I start a heavy task and want to crank up the processor, it is no longer so easy. I also lost the ability to resume from hibernation automatically, so I can no longer use my comp as an alarm clock.
4. Sound just doesn't sound as good. My Toshiba laptop had a Virtual Surround Sound thing that made sound sound real. AFAIK nothing like this exists for linux.
5. Flash is slower - way slower. Few players will play without dropping frames. Fullscreen is a nightmare. I actually hate flash, and am really glad that it is being replaced with pure video streaming, but that's not entirely here yet.
6. Finally, I have problems with package management. It doesn't keep stuff up to date. I understand the reasons for this, but it is still disappointing. Freemind? 10 versions behind. Midori? 7. Getting Firefox 3.5 was annoying, too. I find that to be a shame - and I'm not advanced enough to compile and later, uninstall from source. A shame. And I detest having software installed in my home directory! Package management is fine. While I think some policies are strange, I've learned more about repositories and how to get dev versions - even automatically updated! If I want to run software portably, I can do that too, though it's harder.
7. I do miss a little bit of software. I miss both utorrent (If only for the RSS + Filtering) and notepad++ (That has one heck of a lot of functions, believe me!) considerably. I miss itunes, though only for the ability to sync with my ipod touch. There is a lot of proxying software for windows, which does not run with linux. It just made using proxies so much easier. I'm going to research this more, I think I could do something like that with linux. But I miss operaTor!. I miss Screamer, a radio browsing program - It had a whole lot of radio streams listed. I miss only the capability to run some games, as most run well in wine. I miss a few features of sandboxie, though I know they can easily be replicated, if I only knew how. I miss FreeOCR, and a bit wikipad, as it doesn't run natively. Tom's etext reader I miss too.

So that what linux can't do :) If anyone knows how to do any of that (W/O virtualisation, or WINE) please share. Linux is superior in so many ways, I wouldn't consider going back to windows!

It's a bummer for things like flash, because that's not something you can necessarily blame on Linux since Adobe is just lacking in that department. In fact, Adobe is lacking all over because the Windows flash player sucks too.

Bummer about your sound too. I know somebody who had a laptop who actually had it sounding "better" in Linux than it did in Windows. I guess it's really just driver dependent. Overall I've had a much easier experience getting both brand spankin new hardware + ancient hardware working on Linux than I have with Windows. Though your issue isn't the first time I've heard of in terms of sound lacking in Ubuntu, it's certainly one that isn't overly common, and in some cases like I mentioned above, can be the exact opposite. Imagine that?

Compintuit
September 9th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Yes, I find the sound to be disappointing, but I have mostly gotten over it. The sweet sound is provided by srslabs (http://www.srslabs.com/default.aspx), a company that has yet to offer an offering for linux. The only problem I have I blame on linux is speed. I've only gotten quicker reaction times on LiveCDs. Ubuntu's audio is no worse, and a bit better with pulseaudio then any other distro. I totally agree that getting hardware to run with linux is way easier. Unfortunately, you are almost guaranteed to have a windows driver for your hardware, when in linux unless you're a great programmer, all you can do is file a bug report.

ktritty
September 9th, 2009, 02:44 AM
It is prudent to think in terms of analogy, say with clothing. People might debate the merits of jumpsuit vs pants with shirt (topic for a new thread? yeah... NO). They both have coverage, but in different ways.

Many in the linux community probably own more than one computer. The various platforms can be used synergistically, which is the undisputed best way to go, and will differ in its details from one person to the next.

For example, I work for a small company. We do not want to put up with the time and money stealing datalossish ratrace that is having an all-windows infrastructure, and be bullied around by one of the world's premier monopolizers. As a result, we find great affordability and stability in running mostly ubuntu at our corporate office. However, many vendors and customers and prospects work with proprietary suites that require the Windows framework. So we setup a subnet of a couple windows boxes (two builds that cost more money AND time than all 8 linux builds to make and maintain). And we also have one Mac for what Mac's can do best (of course it is at my desk; I have never been more productive than with the new MacBook running Leopard parallels with Kub9.04). This blend is seemingly unstoppable; any games and other fancies will work, and the linux boxes have nearly zero upkeep, and they even babysit the windows boxes for me. It's all in the cron scripting. And YAY for Samba to make this all possible.

Windows does seem to run a lot of the .NET stuff more readily, but I don't trust the security, so that stuff is partially outsourced.

In a nutshell (FINALLY, I know...), some of you out there might want to consider keeping your criticals (libraries of goodies, financial, etc) on an affordable or free-being-thrown-away-by-victim-of-upgrade-your-hardware-for-vista scam, linux-type box with proper raid and mirroring (or get a Mac with time capsule)

...and if you are into shooters, a thoroughly pimped out windows box. Of course do a B.Y.O. and get double the build for the same coin.

oldsoundguy
September 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Re: the sound.

I have both Linux and Windows machines. NONE of them will reproduce sound for the DIGITAL output from the same type of Creative card (they DID at one time). So think the fault can actually lie with Creative for that issue.

Now as to SOUND QUALITY .. I have a VERY critical (trained) ear as I was an audio engineer in live sound for 30 years.

For TUNES (not streaming .. that is limited crap anyway right now) (compressor/limiters and "squeezing" of the signal from many sites.)
IMO Amarok CREAMS anything I have ever heard! The Graphic EQ really helps when you have a nasty room to deal with!
I can A/B it against Windows using the Creative Juke box (my previous favorite playback program as far as quality was concerned)
On an 8.40 machine with the pulse/alsa setup installed the fidelity and PUNCH on a set of 2.1 Altecs is AMAZING!
The Creative jukebox using the Creative drivers in Windows is just PASSABLE now!

Just remember you can NOT make junk speakers (the 10 buck a set type) sound good with ANY OS and drivers .. it is beyond their capability.

And unless you have a MEDIA laptop with quality speakers, you will be hard pressed to make them sound good either!

So, before you blame the software because it sounds like sh**, take a solid look at your hardware!

fela
September 9th, 2009, 10:29 AM

My guess is you're using GNOME or KDE, or XFCE. Use Openbox, JWM, Fluxbox, or any other lightweight window manager, tweak it a bit to get MAXIMUM speed, and you'll think of any windows version as a tortoise.

Yeah you're right it's the manufacturer's problem not Linux's, but yeah this thread is about what Linux can't do and it can have problems with that sort of thing. So fair point I guess.

Umm, about getting your CPU to maximum speed once in a while - have you checked out the CPU frequency monitoring GNOME panel applet? There's other alternatives for different desktop environments but I don't use frequency scaling so I don't know about them. So that point is NOT valid :)

About hibernation - yes, sleep and hibernation is still a problem with alot of computers running Linux, mainly laptops (my self build desktop sleeps and hibernates fine with Linux). This is also a problem with every OS I've seen. I haven't seen one single OS, not windows, OSX or Linux sleep and hibernate properly on every computer I've seen with them. OSX doesn't have an excuse at all, because Apple chooses the hardware that OSX runs on, and yet sleep (there is no hibernate on OSX :lol:) doesn't work on our Mac. So this isn't just a Linux issue, and therefore a half-valid point I guess. About the alarm clock thing - doesn't your computer's BIOS have an option for waking up on an alarm? Mine does.

How can you have virtual surround sound? If you want good sound you should get good speakers. I'm not so sure this is a valid point.

Yes this is a very valid point, and it's Adobe's complete fault for writing rubbish Linux flash plugins. Still a valid point though.

I guess you realized after posting that you just didn't know how Linux package management works before, now you've realized how it works, and self-debunked your own point. Good :)

Valid point, the most valid point yet I think. Completely due to developers not writing programs for Linux. Fix? Use Linux more, encourage more people to use Linux, make it an attractive platform for developers to write programs for.

Forget what I just said, THIS is the most valid point here! :lolflag:

fela
September 9th, 2009, 10:34 AM
So, before you blame the software because it sounds like sh**, take a solid look at your hardware!

Great point. Another point I wanted to make is this:

Why do I hear people pointing out Linux's flaws much more than those of Windows, and especially Mac? I have had just as many flaws with either, both minor and major, on all the different computers I've installed each OS on.

I'm not just talking about this thread btw, before you ask!

yamamax
September 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Why do you hear people bring up flaws in ubuntu?

No one wants to or should take hours or days researching how to set up a printer. That is outrageous. Print drivers database is not up to date. Downloads from vendors do not work. No printer, No good system.

If you have time to waste. You need a life. Go for Windows 7, it recognizes my printer no problem, is quicker, so far more stable than any other Windows version. Ubuntu is unpredictable as to what software will work and not work. Again, more research, work a-rounds. No time for all that mess.

Compintuit
September 15th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Great point. Another point I wanted to make is this:

Why do I hear people pointing out Linux's flaws much more than those of Windows, and especially Mac? I have had just as many flaws with either, both minor and major, on all the different computers I've installed each OS on.

I'm not just talking about this thread btw, before you ask!

Great point. It's probably true that there is more ranting about linux on this forum then about Windows. This is because we run Linux - If I work at staples, rant about my job, but I'd still laugh at those people at McDonalds! Now, would you like to know why there isn't as much bashing of windows? Because it would take a lifetime to chronolize window's faults! I could start a list of things I hate about windows and have a new entry every time I booted into windows. I just couldn't list them all.

Besides, I run Linux - When I complain about windows, I'm just bashing. When I complain/criticize Linux, it's with the hope Linux can become better. If there is something I don't like, but others do, then I don't want it changed to suit me - I just want to be able to change this! I want Linux to be better - to prosper, to be free! I think I'm doing a favor to linux by pointing out areas that could still use improving.

If anyone is curious about why I ditched my complaints about package management, it's because I learned about automake, downloaded ubuntu tweak and let it give me great repositories for my vital software, and found something that package applications into a single folder - just give them the permissions, and let them run.

I still stand by my judgment that the software made by http://www.srslabs.com/ sounds like it's surround. It's about getting more from what you have. Sound is a conditioned thing, though - and I rarely think about it. You make a valid point about getting better speakers, though. I plan on it when I finally find a good netbook - I'll do bluetooth streaming.

I hit a blank with power management. I don't know how I thought about the CPU scaling. I was just thinking mostly of the 'profiles' I had in windows. Watching an hour-long flash movie? Icon > Movie To stop the screen saver. I just found the 'Inhibit Power Saving Applet', though, which replicates this as easy, though I get many fewer (read:None) settings. Unfortunately, My BIOS has like a grand total of ten options. (Never again, Toshiba!) It would really be great if it had that option, but it doesn't. So that remains a feature that at least MY copy of windows provided.

And my complaints about speed just died - I got Compiz working as I wanted - Eyecandy > Speed :) (For the sake of argument, Openbox ran faster than windows, so did Zenwalk, but both lack essential features)

So... that all :)

fazza
September 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Can you?

Yup :D
No problem at all...

fela
September 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yup :D
No problem at all...

I can too.

I could on my old Pentium 4 1.8GHz too.

AgentZ86
September 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...

so far the only thing i have found that i cant do anymore is gaming and a few online videos dont work sometimes

also, add anything to the list that makes one better or worse than the other, such as linux being practically virus free

Well, I would also challenge that Windows can not even do what what people think they can do on it regarding games etc.

I've never had any luck playing games on Windows, everytime I load a new game it messes up the old games I liked to play.

So essentially Windows cannot even do what people are trying to on Linux with regard to games because typically it creates problems for the Windows System and people end up just fixing their software everyday.

Thats all I know.

Udayakiran
September 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Run games designed for windows? It is the primary reason i'm using windows.

mosburn
September 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Windows actually resizes background images in a multi-monitor setup correctly. This way my laptop can (if I boot into corp. mode) have the correct image placement on all 5 monitors and not try to stretch it across 2 different resolutions

hungrywolf9
September 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Well unfortunately there are specialist tools which can only run on windows. I must try seeing if I can run em under wine but I haven't figured out how to get the usb drivers for these tools to work. I really must say I haven't really tried. So although I use my Linux lappy and computers for all my personal stuff but when it comes to the tools it is out with the windows.

Tipped OuT
September 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Well unfortunately there are specialist tools which can only run on windows. I must try seeing if I can run em under wine but I haven't figured out how to get the usb drivers for these tools to work. I really must say I haven't really tried. So although I use my Linux lappy and computers for all my personal stuff but when it comes to the tools it is out with the windows.

What might these "tools" be? There might be a replacement application for Linux.

user11
September 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Something that keeps M$ in the league that Linux doesn't have is monopoly and brain-washing starting at school-level. I'm tired of hearing that windows it still being used because people find it easier to use. That would negate every experience most computer savvy persons ever had of dealing with people whining about how their PC doesn't work, or how they can't figure something out in windows.

Ubuntu is MUCH easier to use then windows hands down. The problem is that people are brainwashed into excepting things like computers have to be mysterious, complicated, and unreliable, or that all computers have to slow down overtime, or that all computers have to have anti-viruses, upgrades, de-frags, and deal with the repercussions of that. Or even that all software has to crash do to messed-up licenses because all software is faulty.

Linux tries to sell itself as strong, simple, safe, and reliable to people that have been forced to except that computers are weak, complicated, unsafe, and unreliable. Maybe this is a bit philosophical for this thread, but I feel it doesn't make it any less true.

user11
September 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
What might these "tools" be? There might be a replacement application for Linux.
For me it's LabView, AutoCad, MatLab, Graphical Analysis, and Multisim Workbench. It sucks studying to be an engineer after seeing the Linux light.

blur xc
September 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Can you?

Flash on my install of 9.04 kicks ***- flash games actually seem to play at a faster frame rate than they do on my work xp machine, not that I play games all day while at work :P

I can watch full screen high def. videos from You Tube, Vimeo, Google Videos, etc... very smoothly. I can't recall if I've tried Hulu yet, but I don't spend any time there anyway. I have a TV for when I want to watch some TV.

BM

Mobil1
September 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM
The only Linux issue I've struggled with is finding a GUI that stores my daily download usage and stores it every session for the month.

When I had Windows it was easy to find lots of usermade apps to do this like Shah Bandwidth Meter.

All the searches I did on google for a linux like version produced lots of results but they all reset every session, where as Shah had a monthly limit that kept updated!

I'm sure it is out there for Linux so I'll keep searching :)

fela
September 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM

You're the guy who think you have to be a geek to know bash, hi there :)

~sHyLoCk~
September 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Q: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

A: Provide ventilation.

RiceMonster
September 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM
You're the guy who think you have to be a geek to know bash, hi there :)

A topic from another thread is TOTALLY relevant to this discussion, man

fela
Q: What can Windows do that Linux can't?

A: Provide ventilation.

Not true. You could have a ventilation system that's controlled by an embedded device running Linux.

fela
A topic from another thread is TOTALLY relevant to this discussion, man

I know :)

Chronon
September 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM
For me it's LabView, AutoCad, MatLab, Graphical Analysis, and Multisim Workbench. It sucks studying to be an engineer after seeing the Linux light.

Well, look into ways of implementing the functionality of some of those things in an open way. Here (http://www.physics.ubc.ca/~qdg/publications/InternalReports/Z759.pdf)'s an example of folks providing experimental control functionality without being beholden to NI's LabView suite. I think that open source research tools are a noble pursuit.

Taking the idea of connecting all devices to LAN, project ZOINKS
revolved around a multipurpose, open source, microcontroller board,
the Ethernut. An overwhelming number of ZOINKS devices were then
proposed and currently being developed in a collaborate effort

Ethernut Projects

Ethernut-GPIB - Allows GPIB instruments to be controlled from LAN.
Ethernut-Serial - Allows serial instruments to be controlled from LAN.
Web Thermal Couple - Take temperature readings on the web.
Ethernut Analog Input Board - Based on the web thermocouple design.
Fast Bus Driver - The replacement for the NiDAQ cards
Rubidium Clock Controller - Twiddle with the clock from LAN.

UT I/O Projects

DDS for QDG - the version that the UBC EShop is building
DDS Version 2.0 - the version that Todd Meyrath built.
RF Amplifier - Amplifier for the DDS.
Digital Out boards - digital
Analog Out boards - analog
New Control Software - for the UT Bus devices

Chronon
September 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Windows actually resizes background images in a multi-monitor setup correctly. This way my laptop can (if I boot into corp. mode) have the correct image placement on all 5 monitors and not try to stretch it across 2 different resolutions

I have different images on each of my two screens, correctly scaled for each one.

Tibuda
September 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM

MatLab got a Linux verion (http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/requirements.html). There are also FOSS alternatives like Octave and SciLab. I don' know about the others.

coldReactive
September 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Can you?

Sort of, but sometimes the flash videos stutter or flicker. Doesn't matter what version of Ubuntu or Firefox 3, still does the same thing. The only difference now is that Flash doesn't crash firefox (used to a lot with flash 9.)

Ah, the wonders of having amd64 distro to run 32-bit apps such as flash using ia32.

Capt. Blackwood
September 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
right now i have to say linux can't run my Saitek X52, or 3DS Max 2009 (through wine), or Zune (wine)

i'm working on a VirtualBox workaround for the zune however.

electrovalent
September 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM
We must understand 1 major issue.COMPATIBILITY between hardware and software.If we are not talking about the future,right now, all unix-like OS have only a very small list of PC,laptop,netbook,server, with full compatibility and no problems.Someone who cant listen music or cant have 3D or cpu fan working properly and many many others,doesnt care if microsoft earning money,if the system is not open source or anything else.He just want a system with no problems.So tell me a combatible system for my notebook (Fujitsu siemens amillo L1310G).

fela
September 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
We must understand 1 major issue.COMPATIBILITY between hardware and software.If we are not talking about the future,right now, all unix-like OS have only a very small list of PC,laptop,netbook,server, with full compatibility and no problems.Someone who cant listen music or cant have 3D or cpu fan working properly and many many others,doesnt care if microsoft earning money,if the system is not open source or anything else.He just want a system with no problems.So tell me a combatible system for my notebook (Fujitsu siemens amillo L1310G).

And there you've pinned down the pretty much only big issue with Linux. Hardware and software manufacturers not supporting it.

Until more people use Linux, this problem will stay. We need to reach critical mass for that to change. To do that, you have to recommend Linux to as many people as possible.

Supporting Microsoft by using their products just proves that you aren't willing to help Linux in one of its goals of replacing Microsoft on the desktop, and is obnoxious to Linux-supporters because supporting Microsoft is detrimental to Linux's success.

mmstahlman
October 26th, 2009, 04:10 AM
and about the videos, there are only a few that dont work, the major sites like youtube and stuff like that all work, its just some of the lesser known sites (cant recall any at the moment, like i said, very few) that have videos that dont work.

ABC.com is a big one for me. the videos there don't work unless you install wine, and firefox for windows. Then you have to install two
.exe files that promt you to install when trying to lauch, and (for me) even then it fails to load the video... what a pain.

The big games we miss are the adrenaline pumpers (I play Age of Chivalry, a HL2 Mod) and it won't load on my Ubuntu :(

Other than that, the little things like remote computer management and remote regedit are missed by those of us who work on Windows networks for a living. I guess at that point though you may as well run at least a VM of windows to support windows...

mmstahlman
October 26th, 2009, 04:15 AM
And there you've pinned down the pretty much only big issue with Linux. Hardware and software manufacturers not supporting it.

Until more people use Linux, this problem will stay. We need to reach critical mass for that to change. To do that, you have to recommend Linux to as many people as possible.

Supporting Microsoft by using their products just proves that you aren't willing to help Linux in one of its goals of replacing Microsoft on the desktop, and is obnoxious to Linux-supporters because supporting Microsoft is detrimental to Linux's success.

Just got my Mother-In-Law (of all people) to start using Linux. They bought a new computer with vista and HATE it because it opens like 6000 copies of IE and they have to hard reboot it. It does some other strangeness too.

I took her OLD COMPUTER which was a 2.5g Celeron with 512MB of ram and installed Linux Minx (Ubuntu would not load for some reason) and installed the system next to her current one with a KVM switch so she doesn't have to risk not having what she is used to. She is LOVING it. No crashes or major problems yet. In fact, I saw her playing on the Linux Mint box last time I was there. She installed Picasa3 all by herself!!!

Please note that if one distro does not support a specific hardware set, try another if you can't get it working. Maybe they have a driver issue or something is being recognized wrong with that distro.

ayllu
October 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Why i need a windows virtual machine?

Answer, in my country there is a program for do the taxes, that only work in windows xp; so for pay my taxes im obligated to use that software, and I need a windows xp in my virtual box; because, dosnt work whit wine.

Hetor
October 26th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Windows can BSOD.

irne.barnard
October 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Also as some have stated ... AutoCAD !!!! And there's absolutely no way AutoDesk will get of of bed with Micro$oft ... they state there's no request for this. And they're correct, there's no proof of just how many users would rather want ACad on a linux distro than the phenomenally bug-riddled windows.

Then as another I'd like to see Revit (also from AutoDesk) or similar. As for PhotoShop ... I've started liking GIMP a lot, even in some cases more! Absolutely everything else I use is equal or better in Linux (e.g. OOo/MSO, Thunderbird/Outlook).

shnurui
October 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
fireflash /shandalor/ video decoder, not even in wine:/

I loved this game series a lot, maybe somewhere there is someone who can backward engineer it(or beat wotwc into making a linux/ubuntu version.

TeoBigusGeekus
October 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Read my signature...:(

irne.barnard
October 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Read my signature...:(Yep ... feel the same way! I've been trying Bricscad (http://www.bricscad.com/en_INTL/index.jsp) through WINE on Ubuntu. It's not yet where Acad 2006 was (which I consider the very least I'd use), it's more like a 2000 version which can open (and use natively) 2009 DWG files.

They also provide some verticals like your AC Civils - they call these Applications. Here's the link to their Civils Catalog: http://www.bricscad.com/common/applications/applicationlist.jsp?estore.ApplicationCategory=11

TeoBigusGeekus
October 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Yep ... feel the same way! I've been trying Bricscad (http://www.bricscad.com/en_INTL/index.jsp) through WINE on Ubuntu. It's not yet where Acad 2006 was (which I consider the very least I'd use), it's more like a 2000 version which can open (and use natively) 2009 DWG files.

They also provide some verticals like your AC Civils - they call these Applications. Here's the link to their Civils Catalog: http://www.bricscad.com/common/applications/applicationlist.jsp?estore.ApplicationCategory=11

Read it and crossed my fingers for the native linux version they mention!!!
To Architects: check this out, sounds promising
http://gitorious.org/spadi

SigNC
October 30th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty new to ubuntu and linux for that matter. I made a big jump and installed it on my only PC at home. Being that I can still VPN to work and use RDP to my windows desktop I seem to be OK if i HAVE to use windows. Otherwise it's forcing me to learn something new at home.

That being said, I've very happy with ubuntu/linux except that fact that there doesn't seem to be a viable email client that can replace outlook in an enterprise environment. I"ve tried evolution and while when it's working it's great it seems to not work very often. When dealing with large amounts of anything it seems to die a horrible death. Be it folder, calendar entries, users in the GAL etc etc it doesn't handle it well.

Other than that I'm very happy with my ubuntu experience so far and can't wait to learn more.

dj-toonz
October 30th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Well Windows crashes & get Viruses & gets spyware (it's good at that) besides them 3, it does nothing what Linux can't do for me.

Windows Nerd
October 30th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Suck.

wulfgang
October 30th, 2009, 01:08 AM
hmm, What can windows do that Linux can't?
Get viruses,crash,ect. ect.

SigNC
October 30th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Let's be realistic about the spyware and viruses. The only reason linux isn't hit with that is because the user base is too small for the writers to care.

NCLI
October 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Play good games.

murderslastcrow
October 30th, 2009, 02:09 AM
That's an extremely unrealistic statement. If you understand Linux at all then you know that Linux has added security from the get-go in many forms that make it ridiculously secure, regardless of whether there are viruses or not. I don't think many people bother to write them for Linux just because you have to go through so much extra coding to get them to work even on a test machine.

Do I need to remind you of all the layers of security available on a default Ubuntu installation? It's a fact that it's more secure, and for many more reasons than, "lolz, no one wants to make viruses for it." Get real.

1. Limited user accounts, meaning that to do anything on your computer beyond the home directory or execute a program for viewing, you need to explicitly authorize it.

2. AppArmor with profiles for specific programs to further restrict unneeded functions in each, along with an extensive profile for Firefox.

3. iptables comes preconfigured with no ports open.

4. The software you receive is only executable when you indicate so by adding the permission for bin and similar executable files. The only way to install a deb package is by opening it manually or through officially supported Ubuntu packages (unless you're adding a virus-filled PPA to your sources on purpose for some reason).

5. By default, you only have software from trusted sources, and unlike Explorer in Windows, Firefox can't automatically execute code without confirmation. Adblock furthers this security.

6. There are constant security updates, and although Linux is practically impervious to any kind of malware, they constantly develop new work arounds just in case, so if ever there were a virus it would meet an extremely harsh environment.

There are a few other ways that Linux is inherently more secure, but I've failed to list them.

Compared this to Windows, which informs you that you might want to get an antivirus some time. UAC typically only runs on installers and software that can connect to the internet. For some reason they thought that single standalone executables might not be the best thing to secure, for convenience sake (this is how a virus is typically packaged, a standalone file).

Not to mention that in Windows 7 they eased up a bit on these settings by default, also for convenience.

The only argument for Windows security I can possibly think of besides a service pack or the inherently faulted UAC is this. http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/34992

The reason I'm so heated about this is that, with Vista, I had several severe security threats despite securing the system as much as I knew how after studying up on different forms of security. I lost a lot of money and files, this way, even with MinWin's 'upgraded security'.

So please, please don't make wild claims without studying things out first.

SigNC
October 30th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Viruses exploit faults in the OS. When you have an OS that is 98% of the worlds desktops of course 98% of the attacks out there are for it.

Obviously this is a ubuntu board so there is bias but what I'm saying is look at the stuff with open eyes. I'm new to linux. I've had apps crash more in the last few days than I ever have on my windows box. Does that mean linux sucks? Of course not.

I'm sure there are many security holes in linux that people have no idea about. why? Because there isn't such a large force of people trying to find them.

The statements of "window sucks, it crashes all the time" really just shows ignorance. That may have been true in windows 95/98 but current OSes are very stable and as is with linux ........they are somewhat at the mercy of what you install on them. Install 47 crappy apps and the OS seems to suck......is it the OS's fault? Nope.

That being said. I really like what I see so far with ubuntu and as I said before......look forward to using it more. There are legit things the linux can't do that windows can...and I'm sure vice versa.

sphinx85
October 30th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Hi I' m sorry to bother you.
I am looking for help with my Ubuntu but am not sure where to find it.
I am mostly ok but just have a couple of questions concerning plug and play and file access.
Can you help me ?

irne.barnard
October 30th, 2009, 06:20 AM
That being said, I've very happy with ubuntu/linux except that fact that there doesn't seem to be a viable email client that can replace outlook in an enterprise environment. I"ve tried evolution and while when it's working it's great it seems to not work very often. When dealing with large amounts of anything it seems to die a horrible death. Be it folder, calendar entries, users in the GAL etc etc it doesn't handle it well.Have you tried Thunderbird? I had to move off Outlook 2007 ... my email PST just grew too large, Outlook was using 1.5GB of RAM & thus making the rest of the PC inoperable. It took between 1 minute & 10 min to open one email.

I did archive everything which was older than 6 months (seeing as that's the absolute minimum I could work with), and split the Archive.PST so they didn't grow larger than 2GB each. However the working PST was still at about 3GB after compacting overnight. Then we also have an IMAP which we use for project backups on server ... so this needed to have the entire history of the project. That PST grew to 4.7GB. And yes, I created folders like crazy ... never had more than 500 emails in any one folder.

So I tried Thunderbird 2 (with the Lightning calendar add-on). To me it works exactly the same as Outlook did. Some of the folders have now grown to 3000 emails and TB has absolutely no hassle with that. TB doesn't place everything into one file like with Outlook's PST, but rather a file per folder. E.g. the set of Imap folders are now running at 5.6GB. The largest folder of which contains 1234 emails and has a filesize of 2.3GB. After opening that folder in TB it's using 90MB of RAM and has no slowdown whatsoever in speed.

I've tested all the other stuff I was using in Outlook (shared calendars, invitations, rules, to-do events, signature switching, multiple email servers). They all work perfectly in TB as well. The only thing I know that has no alternative but Outlook is if you're using an Exchange Server. There's some Open Source tries at this, but none that work perfectly. You could of course use another type of groupware server (instead of M$'s Exchange).

See the attached screen captures. There's even a few things available in TB which is impossible in Outlook:

Thread view, so you can easily see which emails were in reply to which - the 1st screen capture shows this type of folder view. It groups all the related emails together.
The same addressbook system is used between the main page and the composition window (unlike Outlook which is extremely inconsistent in this).
When typing an address for TO or CC, TB searches through your address books instead of some alternative file generated from previous emails. So if someone's email gets changed, you won't inadvertently use their old address.
Too many add-ons available to mention, here's some I use a lot:

Lightning the addressbook for TB, also links to Google calendar or any type of WebDav shared calendar
ThreadVis extends the thread view to show related emails even across folders.
Contact Sidebar (to show address book in main & compose windows)
Email Address Crawler, to add addresses to your contacts from all emails in one or more folders.
Nokia Sync, to sync with my CellPhone
Quote colours to have that same effect as in Outlook
Quote collapse, so viewing old emails you can hide/display the quoted portions if you so choose.
Remove duplicate messages - used this after importing from Outlook, not needed anymore though
Signature Switch, to have the same function as OL's right-click on sig.

Sorry for only showing the WinXP screen cap, I'm at work now. I've got my email folders saved onto external HDD which I can swop to my home PC. Then TB (in Ubuntu) uses the same folders from the same drive - no need for syncing emails.

Zoot7
October 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM
For me it's Games and Home recording Apps. They're both the only reason I still have XP installed.

I'm not mad on OpenOffice, I find the equation editor quite limited compared to MathType. I've ended up submitting some reports with formatting issues when I did them in Openoffice. And I also could not get both MS Office and Mathtype to play nice under Wine. These days I've XP virtualized running MS Office and Mathtype with a share server set up between Ubuntu and XP. Does me fine.

There's also a few engineering Apps that I need XP for aswell, the likes of Labview and Multisim. My main engineering App is Matlab, but luckily I've the Linux version running under Ubuntu like a charm.

The only thing I use Windows these days is for Games. Although lately I've been fiddling with Wine and I've found a good few of my Games are perfect under Wine; just finished playing through Half-Life 2 under Wine, no problems at all.
Based on that my time in Windows is getting less and less. :)

NoaHall
October 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Let's be realistic about the spyware and viruses. The only reason linux isn't hit with that is because the user base is too small for the writers to care.

No, it's really not. It's because the way the system interacts with itself is much more secure.

jwbrase
October 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Viruses exploit faults in the OS. When you have an OS that is 98% of the worlds desktops of course 98% of the attacks out there are for it.

Well, I tend to take a middle ground on this issue: I think Linux definitely does have more inherent security than Windows. For one thing, there are a fair number of holes in Windows that have remained unfixed despite being known for a fair length of time (such as weak UAC). For another, open source makes holes alot easier to find and fix.

On the other hand, you are right that malware developers haven't had much incentive to attack Linux. When they do, they will likely be able to find inroads of some type or other. They'll have to work harder, but no system is perfect, and the biggest security hole in any system is the unpatchable one between the chair and the keyboard, and I think a fair number of Linux users may well be caught unprepared because they "know" that Linux can't catch viruses. And the fact that open source makes holes easier to find also makes them easier to exploit.

Tibuda
October 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM
And the fact that open source makes holes easier to find also makes them easier to exploit fix.
Sent a patch with a fix. The wonders of open source.

cameronedwards
October 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
stop people playing music when they plug in camcorders, or run programs like audacity etc.

Tibuda
October 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM
stop people playing music when they plug in camcorders, or run programs like audacity etc.

huh? (apt:audacity)

emigrant
October 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM
linux cant do video thumnailing (atleast for me).
what i mean is not screen capture,
rather the producing a screen with different thumbnails from different fraims.
i hope u understand.

cameronedwards
October 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
huh? (apt:audacity)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213407

sorry http://en.windows7sins.org/#2

Tibuda
October 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213407

I don't get it. You had problems with Audacity in Windows?

EDIT: Got it. See also http://www.defectivebydesign.org/

jwbrase
October 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Sent a patch with a fix. The wonders of open source.

If you'll look at both paragraphs of my post, you will notice that the end of the first paragraph mentions that easier finding makes for easier fixing, and the second mentions that easier finding makes for easier exploitation. It's a double edged sword.

mousestalker
October 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
1. Display tiffs in my browser. I can not view tiffs for my job right now.
Dunno what broke with the upgrade to karmic, but I'm thoroughly rankled right now.

2. Play Champions Online.

The second is endurable. The first is a deal breaker.

Windows 7 looks pretty good right now.

tiggsy
October 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I use Thunderbird for email, and there are addons that will make it as fancy as you like. I was using it on Windoze before i converted, anyway, because outlook kept losing all my files...

Now i just upgraded, and i have no sound, so i would say, one thing windoze has that linux doesn't is SOUND

Redsandro
October 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
The most important is not gaming. The most important Windows feature is:

One click simple installation of stuff.

Ofcourse you can say 'yeah but', no, period. Some linux apps push it too far, making you spend a week for something that Windows does in a click.

TruebaseB
November 1st, 2009, 02:08 AM
I kind agree with Redsandro.

My opinion on the title's question:

1) Easy to install software,drivers,without need to compile anything,all the programs that you can find for windows is already an .exe file.

2) You almost never use the command prompt.
But hey,console on linux isn't that bad.Most times is easier and faster than the windows UI.

3) Gaming... Ok many games runs under wine (my 80% of the games are working).
This isn't a linux fault,they just don't support it,but it is a big con.

4) Software... Yeah i know,again it's not linux fault,they just ain't support it,and linux has many windows alternative programs,but actually you don't have for example a video editor alternative like Adobe Premiere CS4.

Hacker John
November 1st, 2009, 02:24 AM
Flashplayer tend to behave jerkily in Linux. I feel Windows has the edge on sound and video but if codecs are withheld from Linux programmers, it is hardly their fault.

I have two apps I need windows for as the companies that write them will not port to anything else. If they did, I would probably hardly ever use windows as I can do just about everything else I need to do on Linux.

georgegerm
November 2nd, 2009, 01:59 AM
I'm pretty new to ubuntu and linux for that matter. I made a big jump and installed it on my only PC at home. Being that I can still VPN to work and use RDP to my windows desktop I seem to be OK if i HAVE to use windows. Otherwise it's forcing me to learn something new at home.

That being said, I've very happy with ubuntu/linux except that fact that there doesn't seem to be a viable email client that can replace outlook in an enterprise environment. I"ve tried evolution and while when it's working it's great it seems to not work very often. When dealing with large amounts of anything it seems to die a horrible death. Be it folder, calendar entries, users in the GAL etc etc it doesn't handle it well.

Other than that I'm very happy with my ubuntu experience so far and can't wait to learn more.

have you tried thunderbird, i use it instead of evolution and as a matter of fact i believe it is simply better but thats the opinion of newbie

DonaldJ
November 2nd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Quoting: "I've had apps crash more in the last few days than I ever have on my windows box."

Sounds like a wearing-out hd, with damaged sectors..?
Have you checked that hd for damage..?
Run an advanced Scandisk...

I had a favorite big gig hd that was developing bad sectors upon bad sectors, to the tune of three new ones every week...
Scandisk's graph made it look like maybe the damages were being caused by something being "smeared" over the hd's platter..?
I get these hd's from garage-sales.. I'm bets that somehow spider-mites got into them, and got squished on the platter, and the spreading bad sector phenomena was actually mite-guts being spread over the platter's surface..? Or it could also be the oils from tobacco-smoke..? But there's absolutely no-way that I'm gonna try my hand at cleaning spider-guts off'n a hd platter, at least not yet.. even though I probably could... Maybe if I was living in the north pole, and it was my only hd... I'd probably spend a week fixing the thing, as carefully as doing brain surgery.. as in wearing a surgical mask, plus building a custom clean-air environment box.. The whole ten yards...

Run a scandisk advanced...

amsz
November 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Print using either of my canon printers, and at the moment surf the internet using mobile broadband

Nightstrike2009
November 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Connect to the internet with a 3G usb stick modem, windows can do this and so can Ubuntu 9.04 seems to much to ask for 9.10 to do the same though.

PS:Sorry but really annoyed about this one :(

Dougie187
November 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Stream Netflix.

I can connect using mobile broadband fine in 9.10, FYI.

coldReactive
November 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Play flash on my old ThinkPad T41 in firefox without slowdowns.

jeffimus
November 5th, 2009, 11:38 PM
As for PhotoShop ... I've started liking GIMP a lot, even in some cases more!

I like GIMP too, but sadly it's no good for press-quality work because it doesn't natively support CMYK. For that reason it's not yet a rival for Photoshop.

Nude_Lewd_Man
November 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Do GPU Folding.....

(Well, it might be able to, but it is very difficult and doesn't work properly....)

irne.barnard
November 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I like GIMP too, but sadly it's no good for press-quality work because it doesn't natively support CMYK. For that reason it's not yet a rival for Photoshop.Yep! It would be nice if GIMP uses some form of Device Independent colour scheme natively, maybe something like CieLab - then simply use ICC colour correction to convert to whatever other space you want the JPG/TIFF to be. That's a lot like what PhotoShop does.

BTW, a similar product to Illustrator seems to be Scribus. This does use ICC profiles already. Only prob with these Press Layout programs is that none have import filters for the other. Illustrator can't even open old ILL files. Aparently the only workaround was to save to SVG in Illustrator and then import in Scribus, which is not ideal.

One thing which we're having a huge problem with Windows is that none of the Vista machines in the office can print to our Oce TDS600 with it's NT4 RIP Server. The XP machines can after some heavy head-scratching. And there's no prob from a Linux machine. It's not the drivers (as the printer uses HPGL2 - which can be any HP plotter driver), but rather the network connection. Even printing to PRN files and then copying to the Printer does not work in Vista (especially 64bit). I've "heard" that Win7 now fixes this type of issue though.

Sigma47
November 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm gonna go with BobSteroni up a couple posts. I've done a bunch of installs with Win7 and it worked right outta the box. In the same period Ubuntu has been reinstalled several times and I just had to hard reboot this machine as it hung on suspend last night. I have been trying to get an install of 9.10 to a level on par with that of Win7 installs but thats been 2 wks of obsession and I am still not there. In win7 I am able to configure everything I need to without ever editing a conf file or entering a terminal. Now I know Im a WIMP to youbuntu's, but in my dept the tech savvy person and if I am not figuring out Linux then I can tell you that a whole university dept of civil and environmental engineers is not. Its a bummer. Things I can see Ubuntu needing is a user friendly device manager, more reliable and functional ACPI. I don't care about games, who has time to play games? I also feel that VM are the most apt solution to using Win progs within Linux. Last I tried WINE was a disappointing experience. I know that Linux is more functional if a well informed user is manning the controls, however there is a world beyond the screen and I enjoy it. An observation I've made is that there is 3 types of users: (1)novice/infrquent users-who use computers for the web and occasional light production, (2)production users- who need to use computers to obtain goals and objectives, (3)administrators/programmers/enthusiasts- people who build and maintain computers and software for group 2. IMO people in group 2 are the bulkhead of computer users and they are the people that have neither the time or care to configure a linux box and learn the compatibility ins and outs. PPL in group 1 can deal with Linux because they are never gonna need to worry about finding a Windows equivelent for linux or an occasional crash or hang.

VastOne
November 12th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Connect to another computer within your office without losing all your hair and patience and love of Ubuntu in the process

pelee98
November 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
AutoCad!! There are no useful alternatives for linux. It's really the only reason I keep a windows machine. Bricscad looks promising, but the linux version is always in the "almost ready" stage, and it's not free (but it is cheaper than AutoCad)

My wife absolutely HATES the choppy flash video on Ubuntu. Windows plays video smoothly.

Open Office does OK with word processing, but the formatting when jumping back and forth is a pain.

KrystoferRobin
November 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
It's going to sound dirty, but if you have a copy of BricsCAD 9 for windows, it runs in my experience flawlessly via Wine, just to hold you over until v10 is ready.
AutoCAD can also be made to behave itself, 2006 I believe.

The 2 things that hurt my workplace switch were the lack of a solid Rhino 4.0 replacement (and it is garbage under Wine), and my inability to use Daz|Studio (pose figure->export->bas relief->CAM.)

Also, I switched to StarOffice (and then later, OpenOffice) YEARS ago. I couldn't afford MS Office and needed it at home, so I found an alternative. I've never so much as looked back, nor have I ever, in all these years, had anyone send a file back "I can't open this". Excel sheets, word docs, presentations. Just set OO to use M$ formats if you're in a mixed environment, and to default to them.

I have several machines networked, vista, XP, and Ubuntu, here in the office, with no problems. Printer hosted on Ubuntu, everything can print, everything is sharing and playing nicely (after kicking Vista's teeth out, of course.)

alphaniner
November 13th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Have multiple IP addresses assigned to the same ethernet port.

fewt
November 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Have multiple IP addresses assigned to the same ethernet port.

for i in $(seq 175 1 200); do ifconfig eth0:$i 10.100.100.$i netmask 255.255.255.0; done

# ifconfig
eth0:175 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.175 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
Interrupt:27

eth0:176 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.176 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:177 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.177 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:178 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.178 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:179 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.179 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:180 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.180 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:181 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.181 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:182 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.182 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:183 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.183 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:184 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.184 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:185 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.185 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:186 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.186 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:187 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.187 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:188 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.188 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:189 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.189 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:190 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.190 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:191 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.191 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:192 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.192 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:193 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.193 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:194 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.194 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:195 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.195 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:196 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.196 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:197 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.197 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:198 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.198 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:199 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.199 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:200 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:27:8a:19:7e:ee
inet addr:10.100.100.200 Bcast:10.100.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

alphaniner
November 13th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Thank you! I was hoping somebody would call me on that. I'd been told it wasn't possible.

AgentZ86
November 13th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm gonna go with BobSteroni up a couple posts. I've done a bunch of installs with Win7 and it worked right outta the box. In the same period Ubuntu has been reinstalled several times and I just had to hard reboot this machine as it hung on suspend last night. I have been trying to get an install of 9.10 to a level on par with that of Win7 installs but thats been 2 wks of obsession and I am still not there. In win7 I am able to configure everything I need to without ever editing a conf file or entering a terminal. Now I know Im a WIMP to youbuntu's, but in my dept the tech savvy person and if I am not figuring out Linux then I can tell you that a whole university dept of civil and environmental engineers is not. Its a bummer. Things I can see Ubuntu needing is a user friendly device manager, more reliable and functional ACPI. I don't care about games, who has time to play games? I also feel that VM are the most apt solution to using Win progs within Linux. Last I tried WINE was a disappointing experience. I know that Linux is more functional if a well informed user is manning the controls, however there is a world beyond the screen and I enjoy it. An observation I've made is that there is 3 types of users: (1)novice/infrquent users-who use computers for the web and occasional light production, (2)production users- who need to use computers to obtain goals and objectives, (3)administrators/programmers/enthusiasts- people who build and maintain computers and software for group 2. IMO people in group 2 are the bulkhead of computer users and they are the people that have neither the time or care to configure a linux box and learn the compatibility ins and outs. PPL in group 1 can deal with Linux because they are never gonna need to worry about finding a Windows equivelent for linux or an occasional crash or hang.

First you have to ask yourself how long have you been using windows vs linux and thus this explains a lot right from the start.

The groups you mentioned regarding group (1)the novice users are starting out with something, so whether they use windows/linux/mac it's all a learning process for them so they will learn whatever they have so thats a no brainer really.

Regarding your Group (2)production users
Depending on where you came from one could argue that if your already a linux user, then you would not have time to figure out how to use windows/mac either since you don't want to worry about freezups,lockups,viruses,malware and spyware which will be something you would be required to learn to handle because you would likely have these related problem with your windows box. But it's all relevant really which is why it's so important for people to make the transition because once you do, then your productivity goes up not down. and your cost goes down not up which is a big deal in business especially with this economy.
So Regarding group (2) to rehash this topic it could be said that unless your willing to learn something new your stuck doing the same old thing, and working on the same old topics. Keeping in mind that Vista users are always coming to me to buy new printers because they don't have the driver support for the printers they already own, and here lies another problem, but again it's all relevant to the individual.
For example I'm in group 1,2 and 3 actually and my business is resale of used items, and I need something that can edit images post them to the web, and host my own images and webserver and email, and edit html etc.
Sure windows can do this but at what cost ? all those individual programs are not free they cost money. Even to burn a DVD you need either the software that came with your computer or you have to find a free version of the DVD player and DVD recorder programs which typically for windows has malware, spyware or viruses if it's free.
Linux already has everything for this built or it's available.
But I agree you have to have some minor education on compatibility of hardware which is the KEY and as Linux compatability grows as it has been almost everyting works on install. There is no installing drivers for the audio,video,modem, printer, it all just works nothing to really fool around with at all.

The group 3) is also an education process, but definately something that has been going on for years in fact most of the servers on the net are still using Unix or Linux based servers specifically because of their advantage on security,speed, and cost. But if a person is not educated in this then yes it will be a sort of nightmare for them trying to figure out how to admin a linux server.

But with Ubuntu the learning curve is min. because the interface is familiarized with the point and click gui's that are available.

I recommend that people install the desktop over the server so they can use the gui like synaptic to install server packages etc.

Anyhow, it's all relevant to the individual and all I can say is I've been selling computers for 15 years, and I always have plenty of customer service with windows aka(job security LOL), but I have never had a linux computer come back for customer service which I was totally amazed because I figured they would not know what to do to fix something, but it would appear they just re-install on their own and use it and really never have much trouble I never see them again until they come back for a new computer.
But it seems even in the forums the ones with the most trouble are the ones trying to make something work on Linux that typically does not already work as it is such as Windows Games or something or some Windows application that they are desparate to get working and can't live without.

Once I got rid of the program I thought I had to have I found other alternatives and/or found better ways of getting work done and it's been sooooo peaceful over the past 6 years of only Linux computing for my personal and server needs.

It's true I hated the learning curve and I hate the console somewhat but overall we love it, my wife uses it and she does not know much about computers. And customers now use it, and it's just growing so much over the past couple years.

But it's all relevant, especially when people are always complaining about their windows computer and how it stinks, and slow, and never really works right. That of course is what I make decent money on service.
But still relevant to the individual and what they actually use the computer for.

Happy computing

cybernet
November 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
You are on Ubuntu 8.04 you download the latest pr0n movie with Santa at 10MB/s :)) and the power goes off

You turn the pc on when power comes again
You loose not only you pr0n movie but others files ( big files only ) that where opened in the process ( i lost a 17 GB mysql database due to this crap ) .. i didn't actualy loose it .. it was unreadable unrepairable un... damn it

You are on windows xp and downloading Left for dead 2 at 11MB/s and the power goes off
( so what ? , i only loose 0.5% of what i downloaded ) big deal ...

now you do the math ...

LucianoP
November 18th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Games

Nightstrike2009
November 29th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Eh? Sauerbraten, Dreamchess, Nexuiz, Maniadrive, Open-Arena, Super Tux Kart, Extreme Tux Racer, Scorched 3D are all good 3D games that work on Ubuntu and are free to download. :)

digitijit
November 30th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Well, apparently Ubuntu 9.10 linux can NOT do WPA wireless easily or reliably! :-(
At least Windoze can do that.

crimesaucer
November 30th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Vista can sound much better than Linux.

For the 2 years that I've spent on Linux..... the codecs just don't sound the same. I've tried most all of the media players and music players..... I've tried ogg..... I've always felt that it just sounds bad..... and all of the equalizer settings usually make it sound worse.

This has been on 2 different computers, compared to both Xp and Vista.

Linux and Xp used to sound pretty close, with Xp being a little better..... but Vista really improved their sound, and now it's almost painful to listen to the same CD's that I ripped at 320kbps.....

I guess it doesn't matter, I can always just use my iRiver.

I posted this a long time ago. I still feel this way about Alsa..... but after finding ossV4 I have to say that my sound in Linux is finally as good as the sound on my Vista partition.

VLC and Mplayer can use oss, MPD sounds great with oss, and you can build firefox for oss (even when building it normally it still used ossV4). All I had to do was install it and configure the gstreamer-properties to use the custom settings of: oss4sink and oss4src

I also had to configure some things like MPD player to use ossV4, and I had to install ossxmix and ossvol script to use my multimedia keys for voulme and mute.

OssV4 does have a few faults, the main one being that when I have my earphones in my ear while there isn't any music or other sound playing, then you can slightly hear some noise from the computer running tasks, but that is only when there is no music playing or no sound from a movie.

ajesh
November 30th, 2009, 05:27 AM
1) DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) works only on Windows. Some brokerages (thinkorswim) firms use DDE to get data from them which is a nuisance for me
2) Telechart, which is stock charting SW works only on Windows. Tried it with Wine, but just does not work

These two made me switch back to Windows, but I keep coming back to Ubuntu/Linux as I love it.....

rudihawk
November 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Well, apparently Ubuntu 9.10 linux can NOT do WPA wireless easily or reliably! :-(

What? my ubuntu 9.10 connects flawlessly to our WPA secured wi-fi here at home.

Ylon
November 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM
"What can Windows Microsoft do that Linux can't?"

Answer: blackmail companies (HW and SW) to make as they wish.

Question solved: now you can lock the thread :p

Roasted
November 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM
What? my ubuntu 9.10 connects flawlessly to our WPA secured wi-fi here at home.

I hear that one, brosef. I've connected to all sorts of WPA/WPA2 AEK/TKIP networks. At work we have WPA2 with hardware authentication, which to my knowledge is pretty solid, and I connect fine with it.

MikeCheck
December 3rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
The only 2 things that I have found myself going back to Windows for are network sharing and my TV tuner card. I know that both are possible in Ubuntu, but I have had a hell of a time trying to get them setup.

Saddl3r
December 6th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Games, Photoshop and Office. :)

savimayur
December 6th, 2009, 07:45 PM
1. Hosting and spreading viruses.

2. Blue screen

3. Unknown Error

4. Charging for operating system which is buggy.

5. Fooling users.....!!!!

crtlbreak
December 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Loads of games, GIMP and Open Office?
:popcorn::p

afroman10496
December 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
1. Wasting money
2. Accusing innocent users of counterfeiting software
3. Annoy users
4. Waste disk space
5. Make children cry ;)

prions
December 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Games.

Thats the last piece of the puzzle Linux is missing. Everything else works great, its just that games break my love for linux.

afroman10496
December 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Games.

Thats the last piece of the puzzle Linux is missing. Everything else works great, its just that games break my love for linux.
well, there are really cool native linux games like neverball. and besides, just get a wii;)

jamesrfla
December 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
well, there are really cool native linux games like neverball. and besides, just get a wii;)

PC gaming is a lot better than Console gaming. Consider this with a Xbox 360 and PC. You are trying to play a new game made in 2009 to play on a GPU (or console) from 2006. On a PC that can be different since you can upgrade the GPU whenever you want. And PC games are cheaper. But there are tons of Linux games that are fun to play like Nexuiz.

afroman10496
December 6th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Well Linux just does everything better than Window$

deathbyswiftwind
December 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
The one and only thing I ever find myself going to back to windows is for gaming. I really dont game anymore though so I dont mind. The last game I played was wow and I used cedega for that. I dont think Ive had a computer with windows in a few years. For everything else I find the linux version or make it work in wine. I do use a vm of windows to sync my zune with(bday present not my request) but thats like a 3 minute job.

WeaponsTheyFear
December 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I haven't found too much yet. At first Photoshop was on my list, but then I found wine, and wine has solved alot of my windows only problems.

I'm not a big PC gamer, mainly because I can't afford decent equipment and I don't do shooters ( which seems is all you find aside from RPG's for PC ).

I am probably one of the few who are neutral on the windows vs. ubuntu stance on these forums. I like both and both have their strengths and purposes.

I do like some small type games such as Popcap that I have been having trouble with on Linux. Windows definitely owns the gaming category.

But the most major thing linux has over Windows is that it is open software, so the trust barrier between the two is greatly different.

For example, Windows has been accused lately of having backdoors in Windows 7 written by or for the NSA, didn't read too much into it but that is a concern we don't have to worry about. If it were the case, I'm sure it would have been seen by someone casually browsing the code or playing with the code by now.

The last thing Linux has over Windows is the price tag. You can't beat GOOD free software, expecially good to the point where it can put up a good fight and challenge its commercial counterpart. This is one reason I use Linux, its new to me and its absolutely free. Windows on my new computer simply because it came with it and my girlfriend ( and I, won't lie here ) like Popcap games.

So, not to bash either Linux or Windows, but to me they offer about the same. Linux appeals more so to me because I do development work which I like more in Linux, because I always host on Linux servers.

jrela2000
December 7th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I have to use an array of Adobe software, otherwise, I would be 100% on linux.

Although I haven't tried using my Netflix on Linux yet (uses Silverlight)

But I have to earn a living so.......

gabak
December 7th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Ms office can be install and use with crossover
same photoshop and , some games , etc

roystreet
December 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Ms office can be install and use with crossover
same photoshop and , some games , etc
P.S. You don't even need to buy crossover to make office work...You can use wine with very few tweaks. (Very few)

Thought this might help if you didn't want to buy crossover.
~roystreet;)

iamgeniusrnti
December 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
For me, Windows can program my garmins, program my Harmony One Remote and play sound without me having to switch desktops.

gjoellee
December 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Run flash and java smoothly

mashcaster
December 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Linux has no decent alternative to Adobe After Effects.

georgegerm
December 14th, 2009, 04:05 AM
it will be reasonable for non gamers to understand that many a gamer will not buy an xbox or the like, period..
the reasons are quite a few, and i am sure most of you know them already..
linux will not run pc games except for some oldies or not too popular ones..
simple to say why, money, games are not programmed for linuxm as it is at the time not cost effective for those firms to do so...
it is a catch 22 proposition not many linux users and many of those who do use linux have no interest in gaming... my opinion i have no data to support this...
as a great catch 22 however more and more people would use linux if the current titles and favorites would run on linux, why well simple buy the games and play on your linux pc and the rest of the software is free, thats nice, but it will not happen,,
i am a gamer and a linux lover so i dual boot, and have a linux lappy for my work..
i think is better to suggest this even if i have to say use windows instead of buy an xbox or play the linux games..
the linux games are for the most part not good enough for todays gamers, again my opinion and not a fact i can detail..should for some reason top of the line games become available for linux, the linux number of users would increase, of this i am sure, as i am it will not occur
want a free great system for work -linux- want to be able to play sad to say windblow$
there is not much of an argument here

Techsnap
December 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Have a stable driver API which means that your graphics drivers aren't going to stop working suddenly after some minor update.

Also Windows has great backwards compatibility and future proofing, try running the latest version of Firefox on Ubuntu 4.10 and you'll get all sorts dependency errors, when you install those dependencies you'll have to install another dependency to satisfy those dependencies then something you've got installed will break etc etc.

nuccx2001
December 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Newer FPS Games

Quickbooks (Not even Quickbooks online is supported)

My Modem for use in a Virtual Box.... I am going to have to duel-boot just to use my modem

Martiini
December 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Linux desktop distros are always going to be lightyears behind Microsoft, Apple, Google et.al. .. that fact is not going to change. Portable devices is different story ... Nokia Maemo (debian based), Google Android etc.

Tibuda
December 14th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Linux desktop distros are always going to be lightyears behind Microsoft, Apple, Google et.al. .. that fact is not going to change. Portable devices is different story ... Nokia Maemo (debian based), Google Android etc.

cool story bro

Google's OS is a Linux distro.

Gawains Green Knight
December 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
linux can't handle external hardware very well, which is the manufacturers fault and mine for buying their stupid products (shame on me).... at least until wine gets usb support - then everything will be sweet!

murderslastcrow
December 15th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Linux desktop distros are always going to be lightyears behind Microsoft, Apple, Google et.al. .. that fact is not going to change.

I think you meant ahead of Microsoft, Apple, etc. I don't see what we have that is behind them at all, they seem to be envious of GNU/Linux to me. Am I just high or something? I don't really see what you could be referencing.

piojunbabia
December 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM
To answer the OP's question:

AutoCAD;
Create Flash animations;
Voice/web cam chat over Instant Messaging applications & Skype;
Use specialist written commercial software only available in Windows (e.g. engineering software that civil/structural engineering staff use at work - we use it a lot)
Business Accounting software;

And I would bet there are loads of other examples too. These are ones I have come across in my experience.

Agree!!!

bubbles99
December 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM
WinSLOWs really sucks. I eats my RAM and CPU like a hog! Unfortunately i cant get itunes in WINE. Im gonna start a thread on it now if anyones interested......

bubbles99
December 15th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Im just glad there a basically no viruses in Linux!

ajaay
December 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hmmmm...... [idea] i know..
making the users think the system will be better by using updates only to crash the entire system..lol;)

u can say that high qual video games.. but after seeing some arcade games in intrepid, wow... i was impressed... got legacy of kain defiance working in ubuntu in my sys.. going to try action games in my sys..:D

ssj6akshat
December 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Popping you with BSoDs I Think

SIGTERMer
December 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Popping you with BSoDs I Think

coming to think of it..
you're right, linux never BSODed on me. i'm starting to miss that little "feature"

jamesrfla
December 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Does Linux even have some sort of BSOD? Linux has never crashed on me before which is a good thing.

Tibuda
December 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Does Linux even have some sort of BSOD? Linux has never crashed on me before which is a good thing.

There are kernel panics and X crashes. Never happened to me too.

Grifulkin
December 17th, 2009, 02:30 AM

I guess X isn't tied into the kernel at all, so you could have a kernel panic. But you X won't shut off. Never happened so I'm clueless on the subject.

SIGTERMer
December 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
A kernel is the heart of the operating system. if it fails, the entire operating system fails as well. so if a kernel panic occurs, everything stops.
X, on the other hand, is a process. and like other well-behaved processes, it can be stopped and started without effecting the operating system.

In other words: X's status doesn't effect the kernel but the kernel definitely effects X ;)

I, too, have never had a kernel panic. or at least, i can't remember getting one. Linux is amazing (and that's an understatement).

marciovinicius
December 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM
In my case...

- Play any kind of sound (make my sound card works)
- Use a webcam.

It's a shame, at least before 9.10 i could play sounds... I don't know why the hell the messed it up...

Defiant Rat
December 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Play Bluray, easily. Not really Ubuntu/linux's fault though.

glnerd
December 19th, 2009, 06:18 AM
not much. the only reason people use windows more, is everything is automated and all you have to do is click a button.

Vorless DarkChaos
December 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
not much. the only reason people use windows more, is everything is automated and all you have to do is click a button.

but do not forget everything that is on the market will only work on Windows or Mac or Both.

Danimoth
December 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM

I disagree. Linux is way more automated. Eg, linux has 90% of stuff you need whereas in windows you have to spend 3-4 hours to install all programs you need, and that's assuming you know what programs you need. So if a n00b stumbles upon a .pdf and he has no idea what that is, then it might be a problem in windows, but it will not be a problem in linux. You are a lot less likely to encounter such a problem with linux. And if you miss a program, it is just a ****-easy click away to install and without further problems. In windows, you have to find the program, download it(assume free), run the installer and most probably click next without reading anything until the dialog finishes. I don't consider this by any means hard, but i find the alternative way easier. Plus, all those next next next clicks you made without reading could make some unwanted changes, like install some other crappy program noone wants, change your homepage etc.

Most users would find it way easier to work with ubuntu than windows. The problem lies elsewhere. There are 2 things windows has going on for it:
1) Some programs are created for windows
2) Most people are used to windows and specific programs.

Photoshop only works with windows. If you are the kind of professional that needs photoshop then you will run windows. Two things to note here: a) GIMP is nowhere near photoshop. b) The number of people who actually need photoshop is rather limited. The rest are people who only use it to crop images and fix red-eyes and consider themselves photoshop users anyway. No comment...

Also, most people are used to windows and this is hard to change. I 've met people who use netscape because they are used to it and didn't want to make the effort to learn anything else... For the record, it took me about 15 minutes to install thunderbird and demonstrate it and now said person says she should have made the change long ago. But the point here is, said person was reluctant to even try anything other that the usual routine.

aeon.flux
January 6th, 2010, 10:35 PM
windows can open .bin and .daa images :D

underthestars
January 7th, 2010, 12:41 AM
For me it's being able to use the following:

Photoshop. I know there are tons of other programs, but PS is the only one I actually like. I've been using it for so many years that it's hard to get used to anything else. I tried a few other programs including gimp and krita on ubu but they're not my cup of tea. PS's interface is easier for me.

Gaming. This is pretty obvious.

Brightness/Contrast Presets. I can't figure out if I can use this on Ubuntu, but on my Vista installation I can go right into properties and dim everything and not limit things like the taskbar, dock, toolbars, etc. On Ubuntu I can't figure out how to get around this and it's tough because bright screens hurt my eyes.

Itunes. I really can't live without it. I recently got an Ipod Touch and need to be able to enter the app store and such to update. However, at least it still charges on ubu.

AIM6. I'm one of those people who refuse to update to AOL's newer version. I like AIM6 because it shows everything you need and the interface is nice, imo. I realize there are many alternatives you can use for aim, but I prefer aim6 the most. Pidgin is okay but I prefer aim6.

I think that's pretty much it. I've been using ubu for a couple of days now and I like it.

pixelot
January 8th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Gaming, and nostalgic Windows hacking are the only things I run into. :rolleyes:

nskhanolkar
January 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM
What can Windows do that Linux can't?

simple -----BUSINESS

starcannon
January 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM

simple -----BUSINESS
Hmm, strange, the major Stock Exchanges of the planet seem to disagree...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=linux+stock+exchange&aq=0&aqi=g1&oq=linux+stock+ex&fp=e8d6ef47431c6a4a

Hwest
January 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Whats the fun in that?

Bartender
January 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Sansa Updater is Windows-only.

Can't defrag an NTFS external HDD.

Editing .pdf's is a PITA. Foxit sells a .pdf editor which I'm using, but it's a Windows app.

Dual-monitor - Mozilla Thunderbird opens from wherever I closed it in Windows. TB always opens on #1 monitor in Linux.

elliotn
January 8th, 2010, 06:54 PM

True in windows is click click and u done, in linux yo dependencies, dependencies, I wonder why linux peeps wont include dependencies in debs so when u install it,it will install without errors

Jive Turkey
January 8th, 2010, 11:44 PM
OFX Direct connect, with my particular bank anyway. It worked from around mid 2007-early 2009. I think intuit broke it on the server side so that not only would aqbanking-tool fail to connect, but so would older versions of Quicken, et al. Sure there are ways to import csv, and qif files into various linux financial apps but it is a bit tedious. Its much easier to pop open a VM and run Quicken, I would prefer Gnucash if I could still import my bank transactions with it, but no joy.

Also, there is no good CAD software for linux AFAIK.

volksracing1
January 9th, 2010, 12:00 AM
So far I havent found out how to sync my Windows Mobile based HTC phone with Ubuntu... Outlook would be beautiful in Ubuntu as well, so I can store and edit my contacts. Other than that I love Ubuntu... One of my favorite things about Linux vs Windows, is that Linux doesnt aggressively slow down after you get comfortable with the OS. Even with Windows 7 after a few months of me using it I seriously considered reinstalling the entire OS and wiping all my files... I think once the world understands that Ubuntu is just a better OS, there will be more Linux based programs available, and then the biggest hurdle windows--->Linux users face will be remedied. I always tell people, Linux isnt AN OS, its YOUR OS.

crtlbreak
January 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM
...... remedied. I always tell people, Linux isnt AN OS, its YOUR OS.

If I may be so bold to amend

Linux isnt AN OS, its OUR OS ;)

jrothwell97
January 9th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Provide a coherent (if bulky) API that's easy and convenient to learn and develop in?

Dayofswords
January 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM
i noticed i cant watch south park episodes from their site on linux, stops at 7 seconds every time

no south park,
no happy
but still love

-Ender
January 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM
For right now, there are two pieces of software that still need Windows:

Lightwave3D - this actually runs fine in WINE, it's just that the Sentinel SuperPro dongle doesn't work which leaves me stranded in demo mode. Lightwave Core will have a Linux version, so this is a problem that will be remedied at some point.

Silo3D - my modelling application of choice. It runs OK in WINE (licenses are properly detected, so no problem there), but there are a number of large graphical glitches occurring throughout both the 1.4 and 2.x releases. They are also working on Linux versions, so again, this is a problem that will get taken care of.

For video editing I've seen a number of tools available, but I've yet to give any of them a spin.

k64
January 9th, 2010, 07:22 PM
For me it's being able to use the following:

Photoshop. I know there are tons of other programs, but PS is the only one I actually like. I've been using it for so many years that it's hard to get used to anything else. I tried a few other programs including gimp and krita on ubu but they're not my cup of tea. PS's interface is easier for me.

Gaming. This is pretty obvious.

Brightness/Contrast Presets. I can't figure out if I can use this on Ubuntu, but on my Vista installation I can go right into properties and dim everything and not limit things like the taskbar, dock, toolbars, etc. On Ubuntu I can't figure out how to get around this and it's tough because bright screens hurt my eyes.

Itunes. I really can't live without it. I recently got an Ipod Touch and need to be able to enter the app store and such to update. However, at least it still charges on ubu.

AIM6. I'm one of those people who refuse to update to AOL's newer version. I like AIM6 because it shows everything you need and the interface is nice, imo. I realize there are many alternatives you can use for aim, but I prefer aim6 the most. Pidgin is okay but I prefer aim6.

I think that's pretty much it. I've been using ubu for a couple of days now and I like it.

iTunes and Photoshop can both be run in WINE, but not without some minor hacking. So can games be run in WINE. As far as brightness/contrast, this can be done via Display Preferences in System > Preferences. And AIM6? Here's the AppDB for it: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12686. It's read as "Garbage" by the WINE team, so good luck getting THAT to work.

To install WINE, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type:

sudo apt-get install wine

k64
January 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Sansa Updater is Windows-only.

Can't defrag an NTFS external HDD.

Editing .pdf's is a PITA. Foxit sells a .pdf editor which I'm using, but it's a Windows app.

Dual-monitor - Mozilla Thunderbird opens from wherever I closed it in Windows. TB always opens on #1 monitor in Linux.

Sansa Updater does not work in Linux. However, my iPod can be updated from WINE, thanks to iTunes being able to work. If you want, you can also run Windows in VirtualBox. That would take care of the first two issues.

bhishan
January 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM
gmail voice and video.

If u want it fill this form from google:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/google.com/viewform?key=pYZOS6WEwfd2dhlZI2m_bRQ&ifq

wavery
January 10th, 2010, 11:51 PM

For better or worse, until the same can be said about Linux, it will never overtake Windows.

xXxDavyBoyxXx
January 11th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Gaming is the biggest thing for me, and it's the only reason I continue to use Windows, if I could run all of my games natively in Ubuntu I'd ditch MS completely.

jjjc_93
January 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM
The biggest thing for me is gaming. Infact this and standard 3D benchmarking is the only reason I use windows. I also miss photoshop, but it is just a matter of me getting used to gimp.

olyander562
January 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
with virtualbox, linux can do anything windows can ;)

nuff said

crtlbreak
January 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
BSOD :twisted:

tbzep
January 23rd, 2010, 11:43 PM
For me, it's having flash work flawlessly, every time, all the time. No matter what I do, something is always screwed up with flash on Ubuntu. I've tried all kinds of uninstalls, installs, tweaks, etc. Right now, I'm having trouble getting the mouse clicks to work on various flash websites like Youtube. A couple of weeks ago, it was a complete meltdown with Hulu where I had to uninstall/reinstall Flash. No matter what flash or video driver version I use, the video is always choppy. That's the one thing my old WinXP box does well without me having to touch the machine.

JorritLin
January 24th, 2010, 03:38 PM
This is based on experience, so it should be read as "What Linux did not do yet":
1) Have a sound system that is not bogged down by layers upon layers of sound servers and default settings set to mute (hey alsamixer? )
- Linux needs to clear the mess of sound support making it "Just work" with sensible defaults like on my Mac or my Windows partition. That said, Linux can also do things with sound that Windows cannot do or without very expensive software addons. It is just frustrating to hear no sound or suddenly lose a function like 5.1 Audio without warning. Also when I start my PulseAudio mixer it only shows me a few indicators, but no real volume control with sliders as I expected. It would be nice to finally have a line-in or microphone input that will actually record something...

2) Provide proper support for All-in-one devices. Allthough that can be blamed on the manufacturers rather than the OS. Linux as a desktop system is still too marginal for most desktop device manufacturers to invest top-dollar into it. Which brings me to the next point:

3) Unity of driver/ library/package models/ formats.
Linux is all about choices. Which is good, but also has it's downsides:
Let's say I'm a developer working for a Desktop Sound Chip manufacturer writing a sound driver for Linux it should play nicely with both ALSA and OSS, be sure not to break Esd, PulseAudio, Jack and Phonon. Ideally I should provide both cmd-line and GUI interfaces for all aforementioned systems to expose all the functions that my soundchip offers. Furthermore the GUI's should be written for pure-X, Gtk, Qt, to name but a few. The driver needs to be packaged not only in the formats tgz, deb, rpm, pacman and portage...no, I also need to take in account the differences in Directory Structure of the various distro's. Do you honestly think I would get approval for such an investment?! My company wants have control over the total quality of the software it delivers and wants to deliver a complete package on schedule, conforming to our quality standards, before our competitor does.

4) Have general programs that will actually show help if that option is available, aside from the question if that help is helpful or not.
I've had tons of KDE applications installed on Ubuntu all lacking help.
Still, I tend to write this to a fault at packaging KDE apps for Ubuntu, not the actual Apps and certainly not Linux as a whole.

Apart from these woes, I love my Linux system and have had Ubuntu as main OS on my box since Dapper Drake. Furthermore my first Linux system that I really used was Suse 6.4 and I have actually *bought* Suse 8.0. Why?:

1) Licensing model of Windows makes me sick with their number-of-user restrictions/ accesss restrictions, Windows Genuine Advantage (Horrors...Shudder) and Arrogance.

2) It's (mostly) free of charge. Yes, that is an issue for me as well ;-)

3) It allows me to take control of MY system, not treating me like a toddler like the Playskool-reminding environment of WinXP and the hiding of options that Windows and certainly MacOS deems "too complicated" for a user to understand.

3) Has a wonderful community of people who help each other that I have come to love.

4) Has a unified system that checks for updates for *All* installed programs packaged for a specific system. I was once scared away from Linux and FreeBSD after having run into dependency hell, but things have gotten extremely nice after the caveman years. apt, how I love you :-)

5) Is extremely flexible in what you want to install or not, maintaining or restoring the use of antiquated systems and making it useful for devices that have limited resources(i.e. embedded systems).

6) Has an assortment of scripting and network tools that make me weep with joy.

- For corporate people nitpicking about trademarks that are reading this, please think a (TM) after every trademark I have used.

Nordite
January 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I am not sure if this is something that Windows has and Ubuntu doesn't because I am new to Ubuntu. That is Windows Media Center. I do like being able to listen to music and have my photos running like a photo picture frame. I didn't want to spend the money to upgrade to Windows7 64bit so I thought I would give Ubuntu a try. I love it. I had some trouble with my Network sharing but now the only thing left I want to have is my music and photos playing on my Ubuntu 64bit fast, fast, system.:)

crimsonshdw
January 25th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I can't say that Windows has a Huge advantage over Linux.....cause it doesn't!! Like a lot of people I have seen have written, Windows is a little more "friendlier" when it comes to playing certain games. I have been using Kubuntu NBR on my netbook for over a year now and I don't think I could EVER go back to Windows on this little thing.... As far as my laptop, I have it partitioned for Windows and Linux. I use Linux with most of my everyday things I do, just need Windows on there for school. For me.....Linux blows Windows WAYYYY out of the water!!!!:KS

dE_logics
January 25th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Windows application (excluding games also).

Development applications from Maya, Adobe etc... Although we have free alternatives, people are used to these.

Tibuda
January 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Windows application (excluding games also).

Development applications from Maya, Adobe etc... Although we have free alternatives, people are used to these.

Don't you mean Autodesk? Because Autodesk Maya have a Linux version (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13583877).

Thomas Garman
January 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Stream netflix

mrhobbeys
January 29th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Stream netflix

2 Options

Change your headers (I do this)

Use virtualbox install the guest additions and direct 3d access (I have tried this)

Ginsly
January 30th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Address all 4GB of RAM in my desktop with a 32bit installation... (well in Vista at least)

fela
January 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Address all 4GB of RAM in my desktop with a 32bit installation... (well in Vista at least)

Linux can do that, you really thought Linux wasn't PAE compatible? Also are you sure that Vista actually uses all 4GB? It has a system where it reports it but doesn't actually use it, unless you're using PAE.

Ginsly
January 31st, 2010, 12:05 AM
My bad, forgot about the PAE kernel. Ok so on further investigation seems you're right, even though it shows 4GB its still only uses 3.5GB without manually enabling PAE. I just assumed it was addressing all 4GB cos it shows 4GB after service pack 1. So I stand corrected Fela....

I was going to mention managing iphones/ipod touch without a need to jailbreak, but maybe this is too obvious. This is really the only thing I need to boot into windows for these days.

fela
January 31st, 2010, 12:15 AM
My bad, forgot about the PAE kernel. Ok so on further investigation seems your right, even though it shows 4GB its still only uses 3.5GB without manually enabling PAE. I just assumed it was addressing all 4GB cos it shows 4GB after service pack 1. So I stand corrected Fela....

Yes, windows can be annoying and deceptive like that ;)

Although in my opinion it's better suited right now, for most people, as a desktop OS than Linux is. To be fair, if Linux based desktop operating systems got as much love from 3rd parties as Windows does, they'd be alot more suitable for desktop use than they are now. But I do think that Windows 7 has done a sterling job at being a good, usable, high quality desktop operating system, for all it's inherent (windows) flaws that I needn't mention in a Linux forum.

I was going to mention managing iphones/ipod touch without a need to jailbreak, but maybe this is too obvious. This is really the only thing I need to boot into windows for these days.

This is an example of why I don't like Apple.

Tibuda
January 31st, 2010, 12:58 AM

with iFuse, you don't need to jailbreak anymore.
http://matt.colyer.name/projects/iphone-linux

Ginsly
January 31st, 2010, 01:38 AM
I read about this recently. It doesn't work if you have updated firmware to later versions though. Downgrading firmware is a bit of a nightmare, and you can only do it if you have the old firmware files sitting in your iTunes folder. Plus 3.0 adds extra functionality to iPod touch, and fixes some annoying bugs.....

BigD77
January 31st, 2010, 02:38 AM
Before the latest update of Ubuntu, I wasn't able to listen to audio streaming. Now with the latest update (Karmic Koala), I can listen to streaming audio just fine. Thanks to whomever is responsible! :D

sudoer541
January 31st, 2010, 04:41 AM
play shockwave games

Roasted
January 31st, 2010, 06:06 AM
This is an example of why I don't like Apple.

Agreed. I hate that it's so locked down to iTunes that I simply avoid Apple at all costs. Despite the fact the iTouch's and whatnot are very neat looking, I'll NEVER buy a product that is locked down so hardcore like that. It's just not worth it.

It reminds me of that commercial... with the little girl on a bike and the guy says okay take it for a test ride. She goes 4 inches and he's like whoa whoa, okay, that's far enough. Did you enjoy the ride?

mamamia88
January 31st, 2010, 06:17 AM
Agreed. I hate that it's so locked down to iTunes that I simply avoid Apple at all costs. Despite the fact the iTouch's and whatnot are very neat looking, I'll NEVER buy a product that is locked down so hardcore like that. It's just not worth it.

It reminds me of that commercial... with the little girl on a bike and the guy says okay take it for a test ride. She goes 4 inches and he's like whoa whoa, okay, that's far enough. Did you enjoy the ride?

tell me about it part of the reason i don't buy an itouch or zune hd. don't want to use propietary software to manage them. saved myself $130 and bought a sansa fuze.

jsmnuk
January 31st, 2010, 07:45 AM

Uh, Blu-Ray....

JosephGarrison
January 31st, 2010, 08:26 PM
Since I have gotten Ifuse to work allowing me to sync my Ipod touch to Rhythmbox, I find almost no reason to go back to windows. There is an alternative to every application besides games, and even games are getting ported, it's just a matter of time. Wine pretty much takes care of everything else.

hariks0
February 1st, 2010, 09:04 PM

When selecting/deselecting an option in a dialog box, one has to press BOTH Alt key + hot key [Alt+E or Alt+i as shown in the attachment]. As it is plainly visible that we do not type any text, why the Alt is mandatory? Is there any work around so that one can just press the hot key alone to select the option ?

This is one feature of windows that I love.

VJ18
February 2nd, 2010, 12:26 AM
id like to know why we cant have itunes? is it cuz ubuntu is better to osx?! yea? they both are basically the same OS and i still cant understand why someone hasint cracked this... but hey we can crack every driver for wireless and etc.....

Grifulkin
February 2nd, 2010, 03:38 AM
id like to know why we cant have itunes? is it cuz ubuntu is better to osx?! yea? they both are basically the same OS and i still cant understand why someone hasint cracked this... but hey we can crack every driver for wireless and etc.....

Lolz, not the same OS, not even close.

VJ18
February 2nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
Lolz, not the same OS, not even close.
its based off the almost the same gui, and sudo commands, whats to stop someone from taking a package changer and changing .dmg to .deb?

Tibuda
February 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
its based off the almost the same gui, and sudo commands, whats to stop someone from taking a package changer and changing .dmg to .deb?

Surely not the same GUI. Linux have Xorg/Gtk/Qt, while Mac have Quartz/Aqua/Cocoa. You can run Xorg/Gtk/Qt apps on Mac because you have the source for Xorg/Gtk/Qt, but the same is not true for Quartz/Aqua/Cocoa.

The binary format is also different, which means an extra compatibility layer (like WINE) would be required.

It surely is not the same as converting RPM to DEB.

TBABill
February 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Windows can leave you wide open to viruses, malware, spyware and the likes. Windows can run at a crawl pace, take forever to boot up, take even longer to update, crash IE regularly, lock up while web browsing only to unfreeze minutes later for no apparent reason. It can cost you a ton of money for the OS, add on software applications and yearly antivirus fees for updates.

But hey, it runs games better, right? Errrr....I think that's why I bought an X-Box :)

aeon.flux
February 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
If you were a pro you would have bought and used Photoshop.

Photoshop sucks, its not better than gimp, i was using it at school and work for 3 years and after month with gimp i'm NOT missing it and hate it again.

Gadgetech
February 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I was going to say BSOD, but then I remembered that someone wrote an emulator for that.

gabak
February 6th, 2010, 03:12 PM
windows i can use this webcam genius ilook 300 and with linux i cant.

if any one know how to fix that please let me know

http://www.genius-europe.com/en/produktdetail.php?ID2=83&ID=31&ID3=479

gab77 [at] gabakmail.com.ar

MicrosoftFan
February 6th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I was going to say BSOD, but then I remembered that someone wrote an emulator for that.

Well it is true Linux has only recently acquired the kernel mode setting technology to make displaying a BSoD possible.

MrNatewood
February 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Properly run software written for windows :|

Also, Task manager is a lot better at taking over the system and killing apps when system is overloaded than gnome-system-monitor.

I hear windows is better at power management for laptops, don't know if true.

faical117
February 6th, 2010, 04:28 PM
photoshop photoshop photoshop :popcorn:

Woolio1
February 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Gaming's what's kept me tied to Windows for so long. I've never had a BSOD, and it's very rare that anything crashes... Haven't had a virus in years.

Ubuntu's actually crashed on me more often than my Windows has... But it gives me something to do. Once or twice a week, I'll get an error shell saying "Failed to mount filesystem", and I'll have to fix that.

I'm still pretty new at Ubuntu, so it could just be that I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. But I'll learn, one of these days. Until then, I think I'm going to keep a copy of Windows 7 around for the stability. :|

SonnHalter
February 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM

games, photoshop, 3ds max

phillychease
February 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
system restore.

ElSlunko
February 7th, 2010, 12:31 AM
system restore.

There is a form of this.

ElSlunko
February 7th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Oh and photoshop cs2 works pretty well in Linux :P Though I prefer GIMP.

Psychodox
February 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Give me serial # headaches, upgrade headaches, and # of installs headaches... and XNA

gjoellee
February 8th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Run most Adobe software smoothly

steveglenn01
February 9th, 2010, 08:24 AM
In my opinion the two biggest reasons for using Linux is it's FREE and it's not Microsoft. Some folks just seem to wanna bash the big guys. I guess it's that old "root for the underdog" syndrome so prevalent in sports and other life events. I've tried it too and don't see what all the excitement is about.

Natty Dreed
February 9th, 2010, 06:25 PM
In windows if i have 2 month installation i should reformat after hanging ant bluscreenz :@

but Ubuntu & linux Generally for about 1 month now running like i have formatted it yesterday

Good BYE windows I have the hole home now with Linux

Tibuda
February 9th, 2010, 06:36 PM
In windows if i have 2 month installation i should reformat after hanging ant bluscreenz :@

but Ubuntu & linux Generally for about 1 month now running like i have formatted it yesterday
and in six months your ubuntu system gets outdated.

Good BYE windows I have the hole home now with Linux
do you live in a hole or what?

Psychodox
February 9th, 2010, 11:05 PM
and in six months your ubuntu system gets outdated.

Yeah! and then you have to buy an upgrade! oh wait....

Twitch6000
February 12th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Photoshop sucks, its not better than gimp, i was using it at school and work for 3 years and after month with gimp i'm NOT missing it and hate it again.

HAHAAHAHA thanks for the laugh man.

Anyone knows Photoshop is better than gimp.

I myself am a gimp user and can admit photoshop is better.

Why can't you?

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 09:25 AM
print to my lexmark printer.
Lexmark is practically a Windows exclusive printer...and at work windows does not print to it!

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
HAHAAHAHA thanks for the laugh man.

Anyone knows Photoshop is better than gimp.

I myself am a gimp user and can admit photoshop is better.

Why can't you?

The things that are important either can now be, or in the future will be able to run under WINE and better by the way, than in Windows. I know because I am running Microsoft Office on Karmic for school, and even Internet Explorer. I also just downloaded for free a game called Chromium which is a kick butt shoot em up game like I sometimes like to play. Did I mention EXT4, 64Freakin' Bit and full disk encryption, including swap! and NO BSOD! Oh yeah, Photoshop is now available for free under Wine Doors.

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Properly run software written for windows :|

Also, Task manager is a lot better at taking over the system and killing apps when system is overloaded than gnome-system-monitor.

I hear windows is better at power management for laptops, don't know if true.

Um, yeah, I just selected this little kill app button and put it at the bottom of my GNOME desktop. I just click it and place the cursor on the window of the misbehaving app and voila! the app is gone! Try that little three finger trick in Windows when the freaking task manager just sits there doin' nothing!

Did I mention full disk encryption, EXT4, 64 Freakin' Bit, and No BSOD!

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 09:54 AM
The biggest thing for me is gaming. Infact this and standard 3D benchmarking is the only reason I use windows. I also miss photoshop, but it is just a matter of me getting used to gimp.

I don't understand why people expect a NON modified pc to run games well. Why not just use a game console like Playstation 3 for games? Oh and by the way Playstation runs Yellowdog Linux. Eventually most if not all games will be able to run on Linux...try WINE and Plays On Linux to install many recent popular games. Did I mention EXT4, 64 Freakin' Bit, Full disk encryption, even swap and NO BSOD!

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM
For right now, there are two pieces of software that still need Windows:

Lightwave3D - this actually runs fine in WINE, it's just that the Sentinel SuperPro dongle doesn't work which leaves me stranded in demo mode. Lightwave Core will have a Linux version, so this is a problem that will be remedied at some point.

Silo3D - my modelling application of choice. It runs OK in WINE (licenses are properly detected, so no problem there), but there are a number of large graphical glitches occurring throughout both the 1.4 and 2.x releases. They are also working on Linux versions, so again, this is a problem that will get taken care of.

For video editing I've seen a number of tools available, but I've yet to give any of them a spin.

I just read an article in a Feb. linux magazine about how all the hollywood studios have switched to Linux computer for the bleeding edge blockbuster films being produced. They have even dumped the Macs and only give the Winbooks to the accountants. Linux has shown to powerful enough for the major hollywood studios so maybe you might want to look into what they are doing. I saw these huge mixer boards and video editing consoles solely devoted to Linux....I can't recall the name of the magazine but it should be on the newstands now. Maybe LinuxFormat?

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Well Linux just does everything better than Window$

Well, I totally agree with you! And about your information: I am 52 so use my information at YOUR own risk!

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM

I installed Karmic 64bit on my laptop, I downloaded the driver for my wifi and used Netconfig to connect to my Linksys router which asked for my WPA key and it connects automatically! It also connects flawlessly to the router at my job with the router key. I am not sure what you are talking about, but I am not sure you do either. And did I mention 64 Freakin' bit, EXT4, Full Disk Encryption including swap space, MS Office and Internet Explorer and other stuff running under WINE! All Free and NO BSOD! Besides, the internet IS Linux/Unix not Windoze.

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah, it was directed at me and your disclaimer doesn't absolve you.

Let me ask you this:

If someone built the FINEST AUTOMOBILE ON THE PLANET...but they built it 14 feet wide, making it essentially useless...

Would it still be the finest automobile on the planet?

A tool...like an OS...is defined by its usefulness...not its intrinsic elegance as is often espoused here.

Clean code? Good memory management? SO what...if it doesn't do what I want it to...I don't care.

1. No one is forcing you to use Linux.
2. Those that use Linux are intelligent, resourceful and freakin' happy.
3. If you like your pushBUTTon OS then by all means you are getting what you
like/deserve.
4. Your small 'arguments' are like a three year old blabbing.

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Say for instance you would like to install 500 applications at the same time. That might take you a while on Windows. You'd have to go to google, find the programmes, find the download pages and such; or alternatively go to some store and spend spend spend. It would probably take a considerable amount of time, possibly days, to find and install it all. Not to mention multiple reboots. How might one do the same in Linux?

sudo apt-get install akregator amarok amarok-common apport-qt ark cdrdao dolphin dontzap dragonplayer exiv2 foomatic-db-gutenprint gdebi-kde gnupg-agent gtk2-engines-qtcurve gwenview hpijs-ppds ijsgutenprint install-package jockey-kde k3b k3b-data kaddressbook kamera kate kde-icons-oxygen kde-printer-applet kde-style-qtcurve kde-window-manager kde-zeroconf kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-plasma kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data kdebase-runtime-data-common kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-data kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 kdebluetooth kdegraphics-strigi-plugins kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kresources kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdepimlibs-data kdepimlibs5 kdeplasma-addons kdeplasma-addons-data kdesudo kdm kfind khelpcenter4 klipper kmag kmail kmix kmousetool knotes konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konqueror-plugin-searchbar konsole kontact kopete korganizer kpackagekit krdc krfb ksnapshot ksysguard ksysguardd ksystemlog ktimetracker ktorrent ktorrent-data kubuntu-artwork-usplash kubuntu-default-settings kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kuser kvkbd kwalletmanager language-selector-qt libakonadiprivate1 libao2 libaudio2 libavahi-qt3-1 libboost-program-options1.35.0 libclucene0ldbl libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libeet1 libexiv2-5 libflac++6 libgeoip1 libk3b3 libk3b3-extracodecs libkcddb4 libkdecorations4 libkdepim4 libkexiv2-7 libkholidays4 libkipi6 libkleo4 libkonq5 libkonq5-templates libkpgp4 libksieve4 libkwineffects1 libloudmouth1-0 liblua50 liblualib50 libmad0 libmimelib4 libmodplug0c2 libmpcdec3 libmsn0.1 libmysqlclient15off libokularcore1 libpackagekit-glib11 libpackagekit-qt11 libphonon4 libplasma3 libpoppler-qt4-3 libpq5 libqca2 libqca2-plugin-ossl libqedje0 libqimageblitz4 libqt3-mt libqt4-assistant libqt4-core libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-help libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libqzion0 libraptor1 librasqal1 librdf0 libsearchclient0 libsoprano4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libstrigihtmlgui0 libstrigiqtdbusclient0 libvncserver0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-xv0 libxine1 libxine1-bin libxine1-console libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-x libzip1 mysql-common okular okular-extra-backends openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-style-crystal oxygen-cursor-theme packagekit packagekit-backend-apt phonon phonon-backend-xine pinentry-gtk2 pinentry-qt4 plasma-widget-network-manager plasma-widget-quickaccess python-dev python-kde4 python-packagekit python-plasma python-qt4 python-qt4-common python-qt4-dbus python-sip4 python2.6-dev qt4-qtconfig quassel quassel-data raptor-utils redland-utils software-properties-kde soprano-daemon speedcrunch strigi-client strigi-daemon system-config-printer-kde systemsettings ttf-dejavu ttf-dejavu-extra update-manager-kde update-notifier-kdeIs that something Linux can do better than Windows?

Exactly! And do it without a reboot after each friggin app install!

ElSlunko
February 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hey I like GIMP. Especially those FX Foundry plugins. Nummy.

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Linux does not have a consumer friendly, INTUITIVE, feature-full video editor that compares to Windows Movie Maker or Apple's iMovie09.

I just read an article in a recent Linux magazine showing how nearly ALL of the latest blockbuster special effects movies are being produced on Linux computers. They are employing dozens of Linux Systems Administrators and dumping the Mac hardware. They are giving the Winbooks to the suits though...hm. Linux does require some critical thinking.

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Take my money. And, keep taking my money to buy more Windoze software cause the old MS software isn't compatible with newer windoze crap. Linux Does everything I need it to do. My whole house is networked with linux.
What really ended Windoze? I purchased XP for each of my systems here at the house and I use my system alot so about 3-4 times a years I will clean everything out and reinstall/reformat my system. Well the last time MS would not authorize my XP. I called them and explained to them what I do and they said to send them $150 and they would authorize me. I kindly told them that 10 years ago I was a computer admin over 5 sco unix systems that I would be switching to linux and they would never get another dollar from me. I purchased adobe photoshop several years ago the I purchased an upgrade 6.1 and it states in the documents to install it and call adobe to get my authorization number. I did this and everything was fine. I even purchased a new system and reinstalled (after calling for a new auth number) and everything went fine. AFter a few more years, last year I called them because of purchasing a new system and they said that the auth number came with it. They didn't have the slightest idea what I was talking about. So I did the next best thing... Enough said...
Hey Silver! I see you like to reformat your drives, it is not really necessary but if you want to save some time and trouble try Image For Linux. It creates a backup image of you Linux drive and is even encrypted. It is really piece of mind for me and have been totally pleased. It is commercial but only about $29 dollars. The Linux version includes a winblows version for free...but I trust you won't be needin' that!

Happy Linux!

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Woohoo ... with my 34 years I am still acting as a under 25 white male. If I am really really old (a bit of sarcasm for those we don't get it) I will do maybe some puzzles, but probably a sudoku in the news paper with a nice glass of Ardberg.

The point I am making is there there are a lot more people playing games than you think. I love strategic games such as Company of Heroes and Starcraft (can't wait till the new gets out). Unfortunately I have to play them on my other OS which I will not name.
There is a program on Karmic called Plays On Linux which will install that unmentionable OS's software and the very games you just mentioned!

Happy Linux!

galactus6x
February 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Linux(Ubuntu) cannot show YouTube videos in fullscreen.
I am running Karmic Koala 64bit with Flashplayer 10 installed...I can watch YouTube videos providing it is on the screen edge selector. No problem. And did I mention 64Freakin' Bit, EXT4(no defrag), Full disk encrypted even swap, Virus free, RootKit free, Software Friggin' Smorgasbord FREE, and oh yeah, NO BSOD! Yes fullscreen. I guess Newuser should have been the first clue...

humphreybc
February 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
fragment your drive.

+1

I remember that's what I'd do when I had nothing to do on Windows.

"Well I've read all of the xkcd comics, clocked my newest games and cleaned the old leftover registry entries. Surely my drive must be fragmented by now..."

401 Stargazer
February 13th, 2010, 05:25 PM
The only thing I think is missing is a higher level of compatibility with PC games. Other than that, Windows is lacking in many places, like actually running properly when I boot up.

lucasart
February 14th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I think that Linux per se (Ubuntu and other distro) has nothing to envy to either Windows or Mac OS. It has all the functionalities, and the user friendlyness that users need.

For the advanced user: It also has for the advanced users incredible scripting capabilities (windows *.bat and even *.cmd are nowhere near as powerful as linux commands, let's not even talk about mac os there). It also has much better and stable handling of network issues in general.

For the averag user: It is much safer than windows (malware spyware viruses keyloggers and any incoming connections). That is very important because the number one reasing why Windows users find their computer lagging, is these stupid antivirus and firewall and anti-spy/malware and all these stupid softwares, that they even have to pay for! And of course it is less greedy on your RAM and your hard drive than Windows and Mac OS, this is also crucial as it means that it is practically much faster on not so powerful computers

Now this is Linux as such compared to Windows and Mac OS. The problem is that the OS isn't all, the applications are just as important, and in the world of Linux everything is free so it excludes games and a lot of proffesional applications.

So unless you're a gamer or need to use some particular software that you couldn't have on Linux, Linux is the best choice! If you are a Gamer, then you must choose Windows of course.

yester64
February 14th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I don't understand why people expect a NON modified pc to run games well. Why not just use a game console like Playstation 3 for games? Oh and by the way Playstation runs Yellowdog Linux. Eventually most if not all games will be able to run on Linux...try WINE and Plays On Linux to install many recent popular games. Did I mention EXT4, 64 Freakin' Bit, Full disk encryption, even swap and NO BSOD!

How does full disk encryption work? I was never able to do that.

I wish we had a PSOD. At least the colour would be nice.

zoey_s
February 15th, 2010, 06:13 AM
It can print greeting cards using the American Greetings websites. I used to be able to do that with Linux and Firefox, but Firefox 3.5+ won't do it. I wish that I could figure out how to install Netscape in ubuntu. That browser is supposed to work with the card website.