PDA

View Full Version : What can Windows do that Linux can't?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

krishna.988
September 15th, 2012, 01:21 PM
In Windows you can select a bunch of MP3's and right click one of them and then go to "properties" and change the tag information for all of them in one shot. I miss that functionality in Windows.

I also miss the ability that windows has of being able to do basic file managing from dialog boxes. Or the ability to launch "program B" from program A's "Open File" dialog. Big time savers.

My honest opinion:

Windows - Will run adobe's gratest programs, Support All devices (as they make only support for Windows, Samsung mobiles, Iphone etc.. update the device software), Microsoft office 2010 (nothing can beat it), Sound Quality..

Linux: Workarounds, workarounds and workarounds == lot of time waste..

afulldeck
September 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
The only thing I think Windows does better than Linux is OneNote combined with the Snipping tool. The equivalents in Linux just don't have the flexibility that I can find.

Tried Zotero with the Openoffice/Libreoffice plugin? I've just done a five year degree using that. I have no idea what the snipping tool is, though.
I hadn't heard of Zotero, but that looks interesting for my daughter. How I was using OneNote is that I would copy pictures/paragraphs that where interesting into a single page. Great way to reference none structured material. The snipping tool is a capture tool. I like the snipping tool since I didn't have to capture everything in a square box. It allowed me to create freehand copy with irregular shapes that I could create.

irv
September 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM
One thing I ran into today was this. My wife and I both use ereaders (We both have B&N Nooks). We can read epub files from the public library but the only software they support is Adobe Digital Edition. And ADE only supports Windows OS. I installed Wine and then went to install ADE but it told me I needed to have Adobe Flash install before I could install ADE. After playing around with all these installes, I finally came to the point where I said to myself why am I going through all this. I just went over to my old Desktop that is still running WinXP and installed ADE and I will use it to download Library books from there.
If anyone has an easier way to do this from Linux let me know and I will try it.

geoaraujo
September 15th, 2012, 10:49 PM
One thing I ran into today was this. My wife and I both use ereaders (We both have B&N Nooks). We can read epub files from the public library but the only software they support is Adobe Digital Edition. And ADE only supports Windows OS. I installed Wine and then went to install ADE but it told me I needed to have Adobe Flash install before I could install ADE. After playing around with all these installes, I finally came to the point where I said to myself why am I going through all this. I just went over to my old Desktop that is still running WinXP and installed ADE and I will use it to download Library books from there.
If anyone has an easier way to do this from Linux let me know and I will try it.

Calibre? (http://calibre-ebook.com/)

irv
September 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Calibre? (http://calibre-ebook.com/)

I don't know why I didn't think of Calibre, I had it installed before I did a fresh install of 12.04. I still had my Calibre Library directory from my last install. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get Library books into it.
I believe most libraries use "OverDrive" to download eBooks. It puts the eBooks in the OverDrive Bookbag. The problem comes in because all of this is tied to Adobe Digital Editions. I guess I will have to play around with Calibre and see if I can get it to work with the online software from the Library.

jones27557
September 17th, 2012, 12:48 AM
One thing my Ubuntu laptop can't do.

I have to use my WINDOWS laptop for the sole purpose of logging into my security camera and viewing my camera in real-time with ActiveX.

I'm wondering why there is supposedly only one method on the whole planet earth to log into a website and view a webcam in real-time without having to use ActiveX.

syam2202
September 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Hi there ... I am new to Ubuntu. I have just installed Ubuntu and I am facing with several problems... 1. some printers could not be installed (eg Canon LBP 2900), 2. How can I copy folder from Home to localhost (/var/www). Using Windows, I can open several windows and just drag the folder into another folder in the windows. In Ubuntu... Can I? (open several folders and copy one directory into the /var/www directory - localhost). 3. In windows, i usually use Dreamweaver to create a homepage visually, in ubuntu ...Komposer is not as user friendly as Dreamweaver ... Can someone help me ... or would you recommend me to switch back to Windows? Plsssssss....

Statia
September 17th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Hi there ... I am new to Ubuntu. I have just installed Ubuntu and I am facing with several problems... 1. some printers could not be installed (eg Canon LBP 2900), 2. How can I copy folder from Home to localhost (/var/www). Using Windows, I can open several windows and just drag the folder into another folder in the windows. In Ubuntu... Can I? (open several folders and copy one directory into the /var/www directory - localhost). 3. In windows, i usually use Dreamweaver to create a homepage visually, in ubuntu ...Komposer is not as user friendly as Dreamweaver ... Can someone help me ... or would you recommend me to switch back to Windows? Plsssssss....

Hi,

I recommend you start a new thread in the General Help forum. We'll be happy to help you there.

krishna.988
September 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of Calibre, I had it installed before I did a fresh install of 12.04. I still had my Calibre Library directory from my last install. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get Library books into it.
I believe most libraries use "OverDrive" to download eBooks. It puts the eBooks in the OverDrive Bookbag. The problem comes in because all of this is tied to Adobe Digital Editions. I guess I will have to play around with Calibre and see if I can get it to work with the online software from the Library.

There is add-on for firefox epub reader I'm using it..works well almost most of the times

tomasz74
September 18th, 2012, 03:57 PM
My Ubuntu laptop still does not connect HDMI screen seamlessly.

And it start to be frustrating.

MasterJimmy
September 19th, 2012, 01:49 AM
the only things i have found so far that windows can do better is game support is much easier and using a webcam is much easier. other than that in general i have found ubuntu to be far superior in every way

mamamia88
September 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM
the only things i have found so far that windows can do better is game support is much easier and using a webcam is much easier. other than that in general i have found ubuntu to be far superior in every way

really? my experience has been that the webcam driver is loaded automatically i just need to install an app.

Lucradia
September 19th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Topic title:

Raidcall isn't made for Linux anymore.

vishaldb
September 19th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I have been using ubuntu from almost 1 year. I found it nice alternative to buggy window xp. But few days later found problem in ubuntu as following
1. It was not able to connect to wireless router because it has some conflict with some protocol supported by my ISP provider. Then i changed my Internet Service Provider. It started working fine
2. After some days my LAN Port got corrupted and i was down with using USB port for internet access but still it gave problem related to speed. So again i switched to window,No option.

Ubuntu is best for use if Dev Team can solve problems like above.

krishna.988
September 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I have been using ubuntu from almost 1 year. I found it nice alternative to buggy window xp. But few days later found problem in ubuntu as following
1. It was not able to connect to wireless router because it has some conflict with some protocol supported by my ISP provider. Then i changed my Internet Service Provider. It started working fine
2. After some days my LAN Port got corrupted and i was down with using USB port for internet access but still it gave problem related to speed. So again i switched to window,No option.

Ubuntu is best for use if Dev Team can solve problems like above.

It is not a problem with Ubuntu.. Linux is a network OS and it supports all types of protocols..
I don't understand what u meant by LAN port got corrupted...

funicorn
September 19th, 2012, 12:33 PM
windows can display the same image more beautifully than linux, whereas linux can not do than windows. If you refuse to believe this, compare.

Glencore
September 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Windows can get itself pre-installed on pre-biult computers that the average joe buys.

:(

Dragonbite
September 19th, 2012, 02:38 PM
windows can display the same image more beautifully than linux, whereas linux can not do than windows. If you refuse to believe this, compare.
Why not put up a pair of pictures to show side-by-side your point?

irv
September 19th, 2012, 03:05 PM
It is in the eye of the beholder. The same wallpaper on my Linux laptop is more pleasant to look at then on my XP desktop, and it could be because I like the LCD on my laptop more then the monitor on my desktop. And another factor is the graphic card you are using. It has nothing to do with Windows or Linux. It is a hardware thing.

Dragonbite
September 19th, 2012, 03:25 PM
It is in the eye of the beholder. The same wallpaper on my Linux laptop is more pleasant to look at then on my XP desktop, and it could be because I like the LCD on my laptop more then the monitor on my desktop. And another factor is the graphic card you are using. It has nothing to do with Windows or Linux. It is a hardware thing.

Just going between browsers in Windows XP on the same machine I notice IE displaying fonts better more consistently than Chrome (often) and Firefox (sometimes). Same site, same system, different browsers.

Functionally, though, Chrome and, even moreso, Firefox runs the site much better than IE even, ironically, when in SkyDrive and other Microsoft sites! If I want to use SkyDrive for anything, other than opening an Office file in my local version of Office, Chrome and Firefox works while IE hangs. Also happens when on Microsoft technology sites and trying to watch the live webcast of Windows, Windows Phone or Nokia announcements!

irv
September 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Just going between browsers in Windows XP on the same machine I notice IE displaying fonts better more consistently than Chrome (often) and Firefox (sometimes). Same site, same system, different browsers.
This is a problem with web design. If you design a page that looks good in one browser that same page looks like crap in another. Not all browser are equal. And then another factor is different themes that can be used in the same browser will change it's appearance. And again this problem has nothing to do with OS's.

ewaynec
September 25th, 2012, 04:54 PM
You can add new hardware, usually in Windows pretty easy and quick. I have been trying since 8.04 and everything I try to add requires days of research, trial and error, and sometimes just trash the whole project. Why does Ubuntu still rely on tarballs to install drivers etc. Why can't someone come up with Deb files, or a way to convert tarballs. (I know what you are going to say, and I wish you wouldn't) I have tried countless times to convert a tarball, I have looked up instructions and have gotten hundreds of ways to do it, and none of them work.They all start with "It is easy..."

BrianBlaze
September 25th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Most people use windows lol and gaming is not a phase when I am 50 I hope I am gaming just as hard as I am today (all the while keeping a job and pleasing the wife of course).

The only problem I have with linux vs windows is the updating... Windows can take millions of hours to update but in the end you will "never" get a kernel panic from updating. Linux if you modified a lot of stuff after updating it can really mess up your settings or leave your linux almost unusable until fixed.

That is my one and only beef with linux but really it's a beautiful thing and I love learning more and more about it everyday.

I think gaming and the ease of installing with pure wizards in windows is what makes it a little eqasier but Ubuntu is not far from that now either so unless you spend thousands on a gaming rigg because you game on your PC linux will teach you things and open your mind.

God I love Linux and I love choices :)

irv
September 25th, 2012, 05:14 PM
You can add new hardware, usually in Windows pretty easy and quick. I have been trying since 8.04 and everything I try to add requires days of research, trial and error, and sometimes just trash the whole project. Why does Ubuntu still rely on tarballs to install drivers etc. Why can't someone come up with Deb files, or a way to convert tarballs. (I know what you are going to say, and I wish you wouldn't) I have tried countless times to convert a tarball, I have looked up instructions and have gotten hundreds of ways to do it, and none of them work.They all start with "It is easy..."

I remember awhile back that I needed to reinstall windows and I didn't have the driver disk. It was a nightmare trying to find all the right drivers. Now I have been using Ubuntu since 5.04 release and I can't ever remember having a problem with any hardware.
I picked up a used scanner for a few dollars and just plugged it in and ran Xsane and it just found it and worked.
So what I saw was the opposite of what you saw.
By the way I am totally windows free and all my hardware just works. Cameras, MP3 players, etc. No problems with any of them.

BrianBlaze
September 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I remember awhile back that I needed to reinstall windows and I didn't have the driver disk. It was a nightmare trying to find all the right drivers. Now I have been using Ubuntu since 5.04 release and I can't ever remember having a problem with any hardware.
I picked up a used scanner for a few dollars and just plugged it in and ran Xsane and it just found it and worked.
So what I saw was the opposite of what you saw.
By the way I am totally windows free and all my hardware just works. Cameras, MP3 players, etc. No problems with any of them.

With every windows PC I have installed windows on (there are a lot of em) all I have ever had to do is get the drivers for the network adapter and windows update did the rest... that is windows 7 of course...

PaulInBHC
September 25th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Most people use windows lol and gaming is not a phase when I am 50 I hope I am gaming just as hard as I am today (all the while keeping a job and pleasing the wife of course).

At 59 years and 40 years of marriage, I am still gaming, even alpha/beta testing.

By 50 you won't need to please the wife any more. If she can look over your shoulder and see the games you play, she isn't worried about you being out with other women or looking at bad stuff.

geoaraujo
September 25th, 2012, 09:52 PM
At 59 years and 40 years of marriage, I am still gaming, even alpha/beta testing.

By 50 you won't need to please the wife any more. If she can look over your shoulder and see the games you play, she isn't worried about you being out with other women or looking at bad stuff.
:lolflag:

mesquka
October 9th, 2012, 07:04 AM
And ask an professional about The Gimp, I doubt you'll hear many positive reactions (off course it works perfectly well for what I and most users do with their graphics software).

Krita and Karbon replace Photoshop quite well, but maybe real professionals that need this software on a day to day basis might miss it.

krishna.988
October 9th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Display drivers are far matured in Windows than Linux..

And also using Linux push your system capabilities to a certain degree of low level..I know many hardcore Linux advocates might not agree or understand the issue..

But sadly that is the real truth...

rajeevisonline
October 16th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Wine plays most games... I played call of duty 2 and age of mythology and it ran smoother than it did in windows trust me on this..

best part is you dont need directx or any dll files...it just works...refer wine documentation for more details..many fixes available. Its mostly smaller programs that have problems running in wine...lesser known ones but for these you have alternatives in linux anyway.

Gimp is a better alternative to photoshop for people who are good at graphic designing, dont want to resort to piracy and lack the dollars to buy it. Also photoshop has better plugins, unique ones and better integration with other 3d programs.

ive seen a few issues with dvds in previous posts here but I havent had any issues so far in linux...vlc seems to play everything...otherwise theres xine and even mplayer. Consider even a paid option like fluendo to avoid headaches.

itunes is missing on linux...somebody tell apple...

will think of more later on...):P

paulkiss
October 17th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Wine plays most games... I played call of duty 2 and age of mythology and it ran smoother than it did in windows trust me on this..

best part is you dont need directx or any dll files...it just works...refer wine documentation for more details..many fixes available. Dunno... I had troubles with Mount and Blade, e.g. The game ran absolutely perfectly under WinXP, like it should have, but Ubuntu could have only cope with the game with DirectX7 specified in game's settings. And as for later variants of Mount and Blade (modes, Warband, With Fire & Sword), they didn't go well at all.

Just like krishna.988 said above, Windows does better with video cards, unfortunately.

vkadal
October 18th, 2012, 12:31 PM
There is no equivalent to dreamweaver in ubuntu environment.

krishna.988
October 18th, 2012, 12:35 PM
There is no equivalent to dreamweaver in ubuntu environment.

To add that there is no ADOBE suite for ubuntu and recently Flash has ceased support for Ubuntu

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/adobe-adandons-flash-on-linux

Stephan H
October 18th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Can't run VAG-COM or any other OBD or vehicle related software. And the Nokia PC Suite doesn't work on any Linux too (Wine included, tried Mandriva as well).
Which is why I'm running a dual boot with W7.

S

MikeCyber
October 19th, 2012, 08:15 AM
On MS systems you can get infected by viruses and Mac charges 4x hence I use Linux.

frank cox
November 1st, 2012, 04:24 AM
I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...

so far the only thing i have found that i cant do anymore is gaming and a few online videos dont work sometimes

also, add anything to the list that makes one better or worse than the other, such as linux being practically virus free

Get viruses!

Moose
November 1st, 2012, 04:28 AM
Don't make me go on a rant on the subject lmao

sammiev
November 1st, 2012, 04:31 AM
Get viruses!

Check back in my post, I had a virus in Linux.

frank cox
November 1st, 2012, 05:30 AM
Check back in my post, I had a virus in Linux.

What post? Please provide a link. You must be famous, I have never heard of anyone who ever heard of anyone who got a virus in Linux and I have run Puppy Linux as root for years and talked to it's creator and most of the authors of its many versions and dozens of users .

jerome1232
November 1st, 2012, 05:38 AM
What post? Please provide a link. You must be famous, I have never heard of anyone who ever heard of anyone who got a virus in Linux and I have run Puppy Linux as root for years and talked to it's creator and most of the authors of its many versions and dozens of users .

There have been viruses in Linux, just very few and not very wide spread, and all known ones have been patched against so they don't work anymore.

I'd also like a link to the post describing this "virus". Quite frankly, I disbelieve you, you didn't have one as far as I'm concerned.

Tallix
November 1st, 2012, 06:44 AM
I don't understand all this talk about games. It is very narrow-minded to say that games are the biggest thing holding people back from Linux. The main problem that I see is that because Linux is not a major operating system (though it should be, and would be a much better one than Windows or Mac), not many people are going to want to develop for it, whether that be for the purpose of productivity suites, utilities, browser plugins (Adobe recently dropped support for Flash in Linux to name one example), professional programs (to reference the whole Gimp vs. PhotoShop debate, but not to limit it to that) such as computer programs for the medical industry, and, to some extent, games. Games are only one thing in a great list of things that just simply are not developed for Linux. The problem is not that Linux lacks the capabilities to do things, the problem is that not enough people use Linux for people to want to exploit those capabilities.

Simple logic and a little eloquence. That's my formula.

jerome1232
November 1st, 2012, 06:49 AM
I don't understand all this talk about games. It is very narrow-minded to say that games are the biggest thing holding people back from Linux. The main problem that I see is that because Linux is not a major operating system (though it should be, and would be a much better one than Windows or Mac), not many people are going to want to develop for it, whether that be for the purpose of productivity suites, utilities, browser plugins (Adobe recently dropped support for Flash in Linux to name one example), professional programs (to reference the whole Gimp vs. PhotoShop debate, but not to limit it to that) such as computer programs for the medical industry, and, to some extent, games. Games are only one thing in a great list of things that just simply are not developed for Linux. The problem is not that Linux lacks the capabilities to do things, the problem is that not enough people use Linux for people to want to exploit those capabilities.

Simple logic and a little eloquence. That's my formula.

I actually think it's an entirely different ball game that is holding Linux back, that is ..... (wait for it....) ..... ...... ...... the media.

I can't remember the last time I saw an advertisement for Ubuntu or Redhat on TV, I do remember both Microsoft and Apple being advertised before they became big enough to be well known by your average user.

Dragonbite
November 1st, 2012, 02:20 PM
One thing I have noticed between Windows and Linux is not so much the operating system, but the applications available.

Linux users are excited by each update and with each update there is a possible upgrade in the applications used (Open/Libre Office, Shotwell, Gimp, etc.). That is, unless I want to meander through various PPAs and hope no conflicts or broken updates arise.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop and am hoping to upgrade to 12.04 soon mostly for the newer versions of the software we use. The software is largely about 2 years old which makes it "ancient" in computer terms.

Meanwhile it's 2012 and MS Office 2010 is just as fresh and capable as when it came out, as well as Photoshop and other Windows programs. I don't have to upgrade to Windows 8 (thank god) to get the latest Thunderbird or Firefox, it'll do that often by itself.

peyre
November 2nd, 2012, 04:20 AM
Seamless accessing of removable media!

Ubuntu is good with flash drives and very good with zip drives, but it's kind of shaky on CD support--it doesn't always mount a CD automatically like it should. Not that anyone will really care, but it's basically useless for floppies. (Yes, I still use them for a few things.) But when I put a CD in the drive and my CD burning software doesn't see it, or says it's not usable, or whatever, I can't rely on what it's telling me--because half the time if I take the disk over to my wife's XP machine it will read the disk flawlessly.

Windows is very reliable with removable media; Linux (or at least Ubuntu) still has a ways to go on this count.

irv
November 2nd, 2012, 05:01 AM
Seamless accessing of removable media!

Ubuntu is good with flash drives and very good with zip drives, but it's kind of shaky on CD support--it doesn't always mount a CD automatically like it should. Not that anyone will really care, but it's basically useless for floppies. (Yes, I still use them for a few things.) But when I put a CD in the drive and my CD burning software doesn't see it, or says it's not usable, or whatever, I can't rely on what it's telling me--because half the time if I take the disk over to my wife's XP machine it will read the disk flawlessly.

Windows is very reliable with removable media; Linux (or at least Ubuntu) still has a ways to go on this count.
Could it be your CD drive might need cleaning. Sometimes the laser gets dust on it and it won't read all the time. I have trouble off and on with my desktop CD, my laptop works great. Also I have a potable USB floppy drive that works great, but to be honest with you I haven't use it for awhile and I just upgraded to 12.10 and haven't tried it with this version yet.

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2012, 05:26 AM
On MS systems you can get infected by viruses and Mac charges 4x hence I use Linux.

4x seems a little exorbitant don't you think? Macs generally range from $1000-2000 that means you can get a similar pc for $250 to $500.

peyre
November 2nd, 2012, 05:48 AM
Could it be your CD drive might need cleaning. Sometimes the laser gets dust on it and it won't read all the time. I have trouble off and on with my desktop CD, my laptop works great. Also I have a potable USB floppy drive that works great, but to be honest with you I haven't use it for awhile and I just upgraded to 12.10 and haven't tried it with this version yet.

I doubt it. I've had similar troubles on other Ubuntu machines. (I'm an IT worker and my boss and I got into Ubuntu at the same time--I've tried the OS on several of our machines at work, and my boss has also commented that Ubuntu is less friendly with removable media.)

jerome1232
November 2nd, 2012, 06:13 AM
4x seems a little exorbitant don't you think? Macs generally range from $1000-2000 that means you can get a similar pc for $250 to $500.

Actually, if you build it yourself, yup.

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Actually, if you build it yourself, yup.

I don't think i'd be capable of building myself a macbook air. I could probably build an equivelent of the imac for less money but apple seems to be doing crazy things with monitor resolutions nowadays and an equivalent display would cost more than the entire pc build. Don't really see the point of the imac. Do you not have 3 feet to spare in your place to tuck a desktop? And I'd like to throw this challenge out there. List parts that you think are the equivelent of the lowest end mac and how close you can actually get to $250. Bet you can't do it. You can get a good pc for $500 but the equivelent of an imac i doubt it. You'd have to cut a bunch of corners to make it happen and get lucky on black friday to come close. EDIT. Tried to build the cheapest equivelent to the mac mini which costs $600 and came to around $380 just by sorting by cheapest price on newegg. Cheapest i5 with the hd 4000 gpu onboard was $230 alone. So much for your 4x hypothesis.

jerome1232
November 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
a) I didn't put forward the 4x number, b) it was probably a picked out of the air and is a slight exaggeration.

I have no clue what the specs are on any mac, what I do know is that

I can get a bare bones kit for very, very cheap, I can build a desktop flushing out the bare bones that will fulfill all of my desktop needs for sub or slightly over $300 easily. Irregardless of if it's equivalent to the lowest mac is irrelevant, it let's a college student type his research paper, and that is what matters.

I don't need a 4D, super HD, 30" monitor to type a research paper on my desktop. I can get by with something a little cheaper, part of the beauty of a pc is that I can choose all of this. I don't get it crammed down my throat for 4k and get told I'm immune to all viruses.

irv
November 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
I doubt it. I've had similar troubles on other Ubuntu machines. (I'm an IT worker and my boss and I got into Ubuntu at the same time--I've tried the OS on several of our machines at work, and my boss has also commented that Ubuntu is less friendly with removable media.)

I am retired from IT and I could not get anyone to even try Linux. I also owned and operated my own computer store which my son now runs. We build and sold computer for many years and I have been using Ubuntu Linux since 2005 and have use it on many many different computer. In fact I have three of them running in my home right now, one being a server, one a desktop and one a laptop. I have 10.04 on the server, 10.04 and the Desktop and I am up to 12.10 on my laptop and to be honest with you I never had a problem with CD's or DVD. Years ago I had a CD drive go bad but that was on a XP machine. I have replaced a few Hard Drives.
What I am trying to say, overall I think hardware will give you problems with any OS, but there is some hardware that is not well supported with Linux but that is the fault of the Manufacture not the OS. And until Linux becomes more main stream this problem with stay with us.
With that said, I know there are good programmers out here that when hardware hits the market they are working on drivers to get things working.
So under the title of this thread "What can Windows do that Linux can't?" the subject of this post would be Linux can do hardware but it might take longer to do it.

Paari
November 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
WELL IF YOU CONSIDER YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM A HORSE, THEN WINDOWS REFERS TO WITH BLINDERS, and LINUX IS WITHOUT BLINDERS...

With Blinders, it's a bit hard to run on the track. But without it, yes a little difficult, but still not that you cant....

The Windows-Linux contro solely relies on you. If you know which one above is worthy, well you have the answer :) :) :)

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2012, 10:13 PM
a) I didn't put forward the 4x number, b) it was probably a picked out of the air and is a slight exaggeration.

I have no clue what the specs are on any mac, what I do know is that

I can get a bare bones kit for very, very cheap, I can build a desktop flushing out the bare bones that will fulfill all of my desktop needs for sub or slightly over $300 easily. Irregardless of if it's equivalent to the lowest mac is irrelevant, it let's a college student type his research paper, and that is what matters.

I don't need a 4D, super HD, 30" monitor to type a research paper on my desktop. I can get by with something a little cheaper, part of the beauty of a pc is that I can choose all of this. I don't get it crammed down my throat for 4k and get told I'm immune to all viruses.That is fair enough. I'm just saying when comparing you have to compare apples to apples no pun intended.

jerome1232
November 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
That is fair enough. I'm just saying when comparing you have to compare apples to apples no pun intended.

I would've preferred if you had intended the pun :D

vkadal
November 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM
There is no such program equivalent to Dreamweaver in Linux world.

irv
November 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Take your pick.

offgridguy
November 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM
As i read through this thread, i see there is a lot of things windows can do that linux can't.

irv
November 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
As i read through this thread, i see there is a lot of things windows can do that linux can't.

For this reason I keep Windows loaded on my laptop with Ubuntu, but one day I found I had not gone into Windows for months so I went out and got a SSD and just install Ubuntu on it and now I find I have never miss Windows since. What ever I was using Windows for I must be doing it somehow in Ubuntu. It's been over a year now since I have been Windows free and don't miss it at all. The only two OS' I use now is Ubuntu Linux and Android and my Tablet and Nook.

frank cox
November 12th, 2012, 06:43 AM

There are similar ones as our friend gave you links to 1/2 a dozen and dreamweaver 7.0 runs perfectly under Wine.

Try again!

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=vendor&iId=12&sAction=view&sTitle=View+Vendor

frank cox
November 12th, 2012, 06:45 AM
For this reason I keep Windows loaded on my laptop with Ubuntu, but one day I found I had not gone into Windows for months so I went out and got a SSD and just install Ubuntu on it and now I find I have never miss Windows since. What ever I was using Windows for I must be doing it somehow in Ubuntu. It's been over a year now since I have been Windows free and don't miss it at all. The only two OS' I use now is Ubuntu Linux and Android and my Tablet and Nook.

I haven't used windows in over 2 years and use several Ubuntu derivatives and Puppy Linux .

frank cox
November 12th, 2012, 06:55 AM
That is fair enough. I'm just saying when comparing you have to compare apples to apples no pun intended.

I can do anything I need to on a p3 I found in the trash running puppylinux or lubuntu . A p-4 with a gig of ram will run Ubuntu fine. I keep multiple Ubuntu os's on my desktop that share the same data and several pupsave files on the drive and my backup drive so I can recover from any disaster within 5 minutes , even a totally fried system as I keep spare machines on hand. People give me machines that no longer run windows all the time.

Windows takes a long time to recover from and fails for so many more reasons in the first place. I would never return to windows, considering they are trying to block even their own older os's I would consider that self imposed slavery.

satishskamath
November 12th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Chrome works better in Windows. It has a lot of bugs and also gets stuck a lot.

Linuxisfast
November 12th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Chrome is derived from Chromium and is an open source project, it works the best here in Ubuntu with no bugs, slowdowns etc. Opera in recent times has gone bad for Linux but works fine under Windows.

frank cox
November 12th, 2012, 07:41 AM

I disagree on it not working under Linux but even so which browser you prefer is a ridiculous reason to to spend tons of money for an unstable system that is slow as Christmas and in constant danger of a fatal attack from spyware and viruses and strives to be a Standard Oil type monopoly. . Personally I don't care for chromium but I have no problem with it in Linux. Opera work greats , FF works fine if if you set it up right but it is a little slow.

irv
November 12th, 2012, 03:24 PM

One thing I can do in Ubuntu that Windows can't do is boot into Chrome OS or I can run it in a window on my Unity desktop. At this very moment I am typing this from Chrome OS that I booted from my Ubuntu login screen. I can choose between Ubuntu or Chrome.
My wife has a Chromebook, and I can make my laptop run exactly the same. Windows could never do this.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of ChromeOS running as a windows in Ubuntu.

SECOND EDIT: Here is the How To website: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/how-to-run-chromeos-in-ubuntu

Jakin
November 12th, 2012, 07:45 PM
One thing I can do in Ubuntu that Windows can't do is boot into Chrome OS or I can run it in a window on my Unity desktop. At this very moment I am typing this from Chrome OS that I booted from my Ubuntu login screen. I can choose between Ubuntu or Chrome.
My wife has a Chromebook, and I can make my laptop run exactly the same. Windows could never do this.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of ChromeOS running as a windows in Ubuntu.

SECOND EDIT: Here is the How To website: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/how-to-run-chromeos-in-ubuntu

That would be something interesting to fiddle around with :D

irv
November 13th, 2012, 12:05 AM
That would be something interesting to fiddle around with :D

It works great, but you still can view Netflix.

jerome1232
November 13th, 2012, 12:57 AM

Was that supposed to be "can't" I believe ChromeOS relies on hardware to handle Microsoft's drm in Netflix and so shouldn't work without the hardware to make it possible.

krishna.988
November 13th, 2012, 03:44 AM
After facing lot of hardware issues in Ubuntu. I'm back to Windows 8 with office 2013..beautiful product from Microsoft

Jakin
November 13th, 2012, 04:34 AM

Even though it isn't a real chomebook, can we get away with signing up for the 100GB google drive?

That is to say i get an error, but perhaps there is a workaround?

irv
November 13th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Even though it isn't a real chomebook, can we get away with signing up for the 100GB google drive?

That is to say i get an error, but perhaps there is a workaround?

I am not sure about a workaround, but I have two accounts setup on my wife's real chromebook, so I already have it. I don't know if you saw this, but you can get a chromebook now for $199 in the USA.

EDIT: I read about it here: http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/desktop/acer-offers-c7-chromebook-for-199/240115354

Jakin
November 13th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I am not sure about a workaround, but I have two accounts setup on my wife's real chromebook, so I already have it. I don't know if you saw this, but you can get a chromebook now for $199 in the USA.

Ah well, I didn't pay for a real Chromebook- so... BOX has 25GB, thats enough.

frank cox
November 13th, 2012, 08:39 PM
After facing lot of hardware issues in Ubuntu. I'm back to Windows 8 with office 2013..beautiful product from Microsoft

Hardware issues need to be addresses ahead of time and in every case I have seen the problems with hardware drivers were due to MS's monopoly practices discouraging hardware manufacturers from releasing the source code to Linux hackers who will create Linux drivers for free. By giving in you are enslaving yourself.

The first time you get a virus or have to spend half a day rebuilding the Billy Box as part of normal MS maintenance remember, Linux servers are rebooted once a year whether they need it or not.

Dural
November 15th, 2012, 02:15 PM

krishna.988,

I know you've already switched back, but what were the problems with your hardware? If there are some things that don't run in Linux, you can partition your drive so that you can dual-boot Windows and Linux on the same computer. That's how I used Ubuntu on and off for years (installed it on a second hard drive) until I finally decided to switch for good after running into issues with Windows 7 after I restored my cloned backup.

Also, I believe there are threads where you can report hardware that doesn't work right in Ubuntu. I'm not sure if you've done this already so I won't put the links in this post but if you search you should find them.

krishna.988
November 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM
krishna.988,

I know you've already switched back, but what were the problems with your hardware? If there are some things that don't run in Linux, you can partition your drive so that you can dual-boot Windows and Linux on the same computer. That's how I used Ubuntu on and off for years (installed it on a second hard drive) until I finally decided to switch for good after running into issues with Windows 7 after I restored my cloned backup.

Also, I believe there are threads where you can report hardware that doesn't work right in Ubuntu. I'm not sure if you've done this already so I won't put the links in this post but if you search you should find them.

Why should I ever bother switching back to Ubuntu or think of Dual booting with it..
My system and hardware works beautifully and flawlessly with Windows 8.. So my job is done for the day..Why should I waste time figuring for work arounds...
Remember LIFE IS SHORT..:guitar:

If you have time go through this Link.. I'll never comeback to ubuntu again..and also Ubuntu forums..GOODBYE>>
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.htm l

irv
November 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Why should I ever bother switching back to Ubuntu or think of Dual booting with it..
My system and hardware works beautifully and flawlessly with Windows 8.. So my job is done for the day..Why should I waste time figuring for work arounds...

If you have time go through this Link.. I'll never comeback to ubuntu again..and also Ubuntu forums..GOODBYE>>

Yes krishna.988, there are Windows users and Linux users in the world. The difference is most Linux users are not only looking for a good OS, but they are lover of open source and are willing to spend the time testing and developing and fixing things to make it better for all in the long run. Yes there is nothing wrong with closed source and if you are willing to pay someone to do all the work for you no one will condemn you for wanting this but to be a true Linux user you need to be willing to do your part to make the whole community better. So if you are not willing to Dual boot or switch back, you are just telling us you are not a true Linux user. But like I said no one is condemning you for it.

weasel fierce
November 16th, 2012, 02:38 PM
oh boo hoo. :popcorn:

Dragonbite
November 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Wow... so what I read is that the issues people have complained about for the past, oh, few years (if not since I started with Linux) is still an issue. That's about all I get out of your list.

Yes, it is frustrating when things are not compatible. That was one of the first things I liked when I set up a hard drive with Windows 7 (because Windows XP was a pain to get all of the drivers... first I had to get the NIC so I could go and download the drivers for all of the other components!).

Heck, I had one laptop with a video chip that regressed in the kernel and took about a year before some distro managed to make it usable again (openSUSE mind you), and I have my current laptop that cannot handle PAE kernels and Ubuntu is not supplying non-PAE kernels or alternatives anymore (so I may have to try openSUSE again).

It's hit-or-miss with hardware. That's just the way it is. Linux is back where Apple was in the late 90s; people complaining there are no games, less software titles, less hardware compatibility and because they had such a small percentage of the market vendors were not going to port their software to that platform. Only a "niche" player with artist and creative people.

So Linux is 20 years behind. Games are coming, software is going web-based and more Windows users are using open source applications available on Linux for some time, hardware compatibility is getting better (with a few notable setbacks), the market is still small (around here, it sounds like Ubuntu is doing a better job in Asia) and is growing from the "niche" of back-office and hobbyists.

So it sounds like Linux is moving in a good direction, it's just going to take a long time to get there.

Then again, without the original iPod and iTunes I don't think Apple would have gotten to where they are now.

kandelvijaya
November 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I think i only miss printing with cannon LBP6000 if im in Ubuntu. Everything is fine except that. But im also in search for an alternative to Connectify.

two4two
November 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I haven't yet found anything Windows can do that Linux can't, at least anything that matters. From video editing to office work Linux has it all. But the absolute most IMPORTANT thing? It can do it ALL for free. OK, play a blu-ray, or author a blu-ray? Maybe there's something. But this happens because of MS collusion with manufacturers and government to get a virtual monopoly. How desirable is that? They make laws to FORCE me to buy THEIR software? They can shove it. I'll play my source files on any Linux machine thru HDMI out to my TV. I am willig to put in a little extra effort to NOT be enslaved, whuile at the same time paying a really good price: NOTHING.

One thing: a lot of free software written for Linux is actually being ported to Windows as free software. This is going to shake the world just like MP3s did. See how MS tries to foil it with lobbying congress. Soon there will be laws making it illegal to write software and distribute it fir free.

Hylas de Niall
November 16th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Charge money just for a licence to 'use' it (nobody but Microsoft 'owns' Windows).

^^^ prolly already beeh said a gazillion times already ^^^

Dural
November 16th, 2012, 06:13 PM

I'm not judging you for going back to Windows 8. To me, machines exist to do what you want them to do. To champion any of them seems silly. The reason I asked is because I've had hardware problems with Ubuntu to but I was able to figure them out by looking around. I just wanted to see if I could have helped you out but ultimately it's your computer and you get to have the final say as to what you want to do with it. Linux isn't for everyone and it's ultimately just 0s and 1s so I don't think anyone should have any fealty to it (same with Windows, Mac OSX, or any other OS out there). Good luck and I hope your time with Windows 8 works out for you.

frank cox
November 16th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Yes krishna.988, there are Windows users and Linux users in the world. The difference is most Linux users are not only looking for a good OS, but they are lover of open source and are willing to spend the time testing and developing and fixing things to make it better for all in the long run. Yes there is nothing wrong with closed source and if you are willing to pay someone to do all the work for you no one will condemn you for wanting this but to be a true Linux user you need to be willing to do your part to make the whole community better. So if you are not willing to Dual boot or switch back, you are just telling us you are not a true Linux user. But like I said no one is condemning you for it.

Life is short, viruses make it shorter. Linux is not for everyone , it does require more user involvement. On the other hand the difference shrinks when a person actually uses windows as it should be but less than 10% ever bother to even read the manual.
As far as I am concerned MS is the modern day equivalent of Standard Oil , a monopoly that needs to be broken! Life is short and money is finite. To switch back to windows would require a lot of money that took a lot of time to produce.

The most expensive machine I have cost me 240.00 to pay off the pawn charges for the people I got it from. My other 3 machines I gor for free , to build a similar network with Windows would cost me close to 2 grand in equipment and close to a grand in software plus the ongoing expense of virus protection . Having windows would not save me any time and increase my stress worrying about virus attacks like the one that cost me 2 solid weeks to fix and untold thousands in lost revenue.

To each his own said the farmer as he kissed his cow. If someone offered to pay all those expenses I would still boot Linux!

frank cox
November 16th, 2012, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=DoctorMO;2608993]those videos you should copy the addresses for them and use mplayer at the command prompt, it's more likely to tell you what the problem is, more than not a missing dll or problematic codec.

With Ubuntu you must add Ubuntu-restricted-extras and to play commercial dvd's you need libdvdcss2 .

Both of these are available in the software-center or from the terminal.

# sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

# sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

Then add the most versital player on the planet ! VLC is also available from the software-center, synaptic or the terminal .

# sudo apt-get install vlc

If you want to copy dual sided disk to single get the software from the center , DVDshrink is one way

Lucradia
November 17th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Use Adobe After Effects, the only truly easy-to-use Post-Process video editor.

frank cox
November 18th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Use Adobe After Effects, the only truly easy-to-use Post-Process video editor.

When you try and compare apples and apples you need to mention the incredible expense using windows and Adobe After Effects and show some evidence as why the same thing can't be done with Linux. Some may feel the thousands of dollars sucked up by virus infected Billy Boxes would be better spent on computer lessons than idiot proof software that has to have the latest and greatest hardware to run and a bottomless pit of a bank account to keep up to date?
BTW the 2008 version works well under Wine , silver rating . The 2004 works perfectly , it has a platinum rating. If more users donated money to the wine project these ratings would improve.

vahnx
November 19th, 2012, 03:56 PM
virus infected Billy Boxes

lolwut

quequotion
November 19th, 2012, 06:27 PM
play a blu-ray, or author a blu-rayCan be done in linux. Far from straightforward, but quite possible. Take a look at the ArchLinux wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay) and scour the doom9 forums (http://forum.doom9.org/index.php) for advice.

Aaron Christianson
November 22nd, 2012, 07:48 AM
send user data back home through back doors without user consent.

LuciferRex
November 26th, 2012, 08:27 PM
The netflix thing is the biggest bummer for me. Aside from that, I haven't had any issues with not running Windows (although I've been using Ubuntu less than a week)

irv
November 26th, 2012, 11:45 PM
The netflix thing is the biggest bummer for me. Aside from that, I haven't had any issues with not running Windows (although I've been using Ubuntu less than a week)

[How To] Watch Netflix on Ubuntu (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/how-to-use-netflix-on-ubuntu)

whtemple1959
November 27th, 2012, 07:51 PM
As a person struggling to understand Ubuntu for the past year there are a few things windows does better.
1) installing software...I understand that terminal software and gui software are installed in different places... why?
2) I wanted to upgrade an application and the instructions stated install to opt but when I looked in opt the original application is not there so does that mean I will have 2 different installations?
3 At least Programs files gives the illusion that you know where your stuff is installed.
Now I will admit that windows does have me a little spoiled but at least when I install an app it shows up in my menu and I do not have to hunt for it or open a terminal to start it.
I also understand that Linux devotees have your own language but unless widen the ease of use no version of Linux will be widely accepted.
Having said all that I know Linux is better at most things than windows so I continue to attempt to understand it.

Galfonz
November 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Windows Vista can fight to survive and reinstall itself even when you try to reformat the hard drive it is on to kill it. I found I needed to power it off during it's attempted post-format resurrection to eradicate it completely from one computer. I've never seen Linux resist uninstallation like that.

I have also never seen Linux shut itself down because it had all by itself found a web update that someone else thought required a mandatory immediate reboot.

Windows can ask its user if it is a genuine purchased copy of itself, so it can help them denounce someone for piracy.

Windows can hide some of its settings from its users in the special secret version of its registry.

Windows can deny access to some of its features based on how much they have paid for its version bits.

LuciferRex
November 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM
[How To] Watch Netflix on Ubuntu (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/how-to-use-netflix-on-ubuntu)

Although i appreciate the link, I did that exact process, and it was unwatchable....far too slow.

frank cox
November 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Can be done in linux. Far from straightforward, but quite possible. Take a look at the ArchLinux wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay) and scour the doom9 forums (http://forum.doom9.org/index.php) for advice.

It is funny that the people who defend windows never bother to mention the ONLY reason that it can be difficult to perform certain actions such as this is because MS pressures hardware companies to deliberatly restrict fair use rights such as playing restricted or foreign source films on Blu_Ray!

Here is some more info on a work around.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

UssjTrunks
November 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
The only reason I use Windows on my desktop is because of software comparability. Some of the software I use regularly like Photoshop, Traktor, and Steam (and other games) don't work on Linux. That's not a knock on the OS though, but the actual developers of that software.

Sunon
November 27th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Run windows programs ;) But seriously you can find an analog for almost everything

irv
November 27th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Today I was doing some trouble shooting on a wireless router. To try to elimanate the router itself, I ran down to the Internet provider's shop and picked up another router to test if it was doing the say as the old router. In order to setup the new router I needed to run a windows setup program off the CD. If I didn't have a windows pc in the house I would have not been able to set it up. Turns out the new router was doing the same thing the old one was so it wasn't a router problem.
That is one of the problem you run into if you don't have a windows pc around. A lot of new hardware comes with windows setup programs so you are out of luck if all you have is Linux. Printers, routers, scanners etc.

frank cox
November 27th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Today I was doing some trouble shooting on a wireless router. To try to elimanate the router itself, I ran down to the Internet provider's shop and picked up another router to test if it was doing the say as the old router. In order to setup the new router I needed to run a windows setup program off the CD. If I didn't have a windows pc in the house I would have not been able to set it up. Turns out the new router was doing the same thing the old one was so it wasn't a router problem.
That is one of the problem you run into if you don't have a windows pc around. A lot of new hardware comes with windows setup programs so you are out of luck if all you have is Linux. Printers, routers, scanners etc.

Lol , sorry but that disk is better used as a beanie copter, even in windows.
Throw the disk in the trash! There is an ip address on the router such as 192-168.0.1. . Type that in your browser and set up the router.
I don;t know of any routers that don't run Linux internally . NetGear , Linksys etc. all use Linux to run the router itself and all work fine under any Linux operating system.It is not worth the trouble to provide a Linux setup disk because the browser works better anyway .

Most scanners will work with one of the generic scanner programs , printers you need to check for compatibility before you buy . A new Epson Artisan 700 can be had for 70.00 and the after market cartridges work great and cost only 10.00 for all 6! Epsons print better in Linux .
Most Hp's and Brothers are compatible as well.

A virus puts you out of business for a while and takes a few hours to recover from even with good backups. Linux does not get viruses and if it does go down all I do is reboot into a cc of my os and am up and running in about 2 minutes. I never used those silly setup disks for routers with windows. Just because they give you software does not mean you need it. Windows has everything you need to get online but most windows users think they have to have an America Online or some such nonsense disk to access the net.

millerthegorilla
November 28th, 2012, 02:19 PM
FLASHDEVELOP!!!!!!!!!! (and adobe creative suite)

also games. Latest, greatest, eyecandy, opengl optimised games!!!!

(although I now switched completely to linux (ubuntu studio) with an openbox install of windows 7 for some stuff)

frank cox
November 28th, 2012, 08:47 PM
FLASHDEVELOP!!!!!!!!!! (and adobe creative suite)

also games. Latest, greatest, eyecandy, opengl optimised games!!!!

(although I now switched completely to linux (ubuntu studio) with an openbox install of windows 7 for some stuff)

Games are an advantage in Windows but many of the latest games run well under wine. The second quickest way to get a virus is online gaming. X-Box is for games

Eye candy versus viruses ?

jerome1232
November 30th, 2012, 12:21 AM
The second quickest way to get a virus is online gaming.

I disagree with this. Downloading untrusted software (like game addons for example), hitting a compromised web server, especially when it involves java; javascript; activex; or flash, falling victim to social engineering, or loading a compromised email are some of the top ways systems are compromised.

I've personally never heard of someone being compromised by playing on-line games (unless your talking about those websites that host free flash and java games, then you may have a point). I suppose people could create malicious game servers etc... I've just haven't seen or heard of it. I highly doubt that is a primary way to infect pc's with malware.

frank cox
November 30th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I disagree with this. Downloading untrusted software (like game addons for example), hitting a compromised web server, especially when it involves java; javascript; activex; or flash, falling victim to social engineering, or loading a compromised email are some of the top ways systems are compromised.

I've personally never heard of someone being compromised by playing on-line games (unless your talking about those websites that host free flash and java games, then you may have a point). I suppose people could create malicious game servers etc... I've just haven't seen or heard of it. I highly doubt that is a primary way to infect pc's with malware.

I cannot tell you how many people have brought me there virus infected Billy Box because they downloaded software to play online games. The games that require no download are no problem but windows users are accustomed to being scammed into using all sorts of software they don't need from dial-up connection disks like AOL or NetZero to thinking they need a setup disk for a router and the whole time the router runs on Linux and is easily accessed through any browser.
Also with windows all you have to do is be online to fall victim to a virus bot {spider} Windows is a catastrophe waiting to happen , I have several Linux operating systems on my machines, so I can always recover from a crash in less than 2 minutes but that almost never happens. Know you can buy a new Linux computer for less than $100.00 without the LCD less than $50.00 if you have a wireless mouse/keyboard already. I have other things to spend money on than 8 gigs of ram and powerful chips etc.

picaflor
December 1st, 2012, 12:59 AM
<toungincheek>
windows can automatically wipe your whole hard drive when you try to install it. With Ubuntu you have to tell it whether you want to wipe the whole hard drive or not. Why do you suppose that the Ubuntu people can't eliminate all this hassle, and just wipe your hard drive without asking all those questions? This feature should be implemented IMMEDIATELY!!!!
</toungincheek>

irv
December 1st, 2012, 04:13 PM
<toungincheek>
windows can automatically wipe your whole hard drive when you try to install it. With Ubuntu you have to tell it whether you want to wipe the whole hard drive or not. Why do you suppose that the Ubuntu people can't eliminate all this hassle, and just wipe your hard drive without asking all those questions? This feature should be implemented IMMEDIATELY!!!!
</toungincheek>
What are you asking? I think this is a good thing. There are a lot of people out here that run more than one OS and want to use just part of the HD for Ubuntu. If you didn't have this choice you would wipe your other OS'.
Widows is the one doing it wrong. They don't want you to run anything else. This is way you need to install Windows first before installing any other OS.

frank cox
December 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM
<toungincheek>
</toungincheek>

It is also not fair windows gets all the viruses and poor Linux is left out of the fun!

irv
December 1st, 2012, 06:48 PM
It is also not fair windows gets all the viruses and poor Linux is left out of the fun!

Yea, it no fair. If by change I got a virus, the way I have my system setup I could wipe, and re-install everything and be back running in about an hour. (I keep all my file in the cloud. And all my emails are on line also).

frank cox
December 1st, 2012, 09:44 PM
Yea, it no fair. If by change I got a virus, the way I have my system setup I could wipe, and re-install everything and be back running in about an hour. (I keep all my file in the cloud. And all my emails are on line also).

One hour? Unless you have a ghost I don't think so. Of course I can simply reboot into a copy of my os {or another if I choose} and be up and running in 2 minutes. Even if I buy your hour, which I don't. I can recover Linux 30 times as fast.

frank cox
December 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM

I might buy 2 hours if you are truly prepared . Of course you could ghost your system on a regular basis but how long does that take? With Linux I keep several copies of several versions on the drive at all times and boot up disks for Puppy Linux and the necessary savefiles so I can simply reboot if I ever manage to fry an os and be working normally in less than 2 minutes, 60 times as fast as a Billy Box.
Here is another neat trick , I can buy a brand new computer for less than $100.00 or run on a machine I found in the trash!
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/mele-a100

http://www.element14.com/community/groups/raspberry-pi

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=92T3300&CMP=KNC-GPLA

irv
December 1st, 2012, 10:53 PM
Just for the record I never timed it, but I install OS' 5 to 6 times a year if not more times. I try different distros and then come back to Ubuntu. I do Alpha/Beta testing so I do a lot of fresh installs.
I use an older Dell Inspiron 1521 for this and I have a 40 Mbps wired Internet connection. I do all my installing from a USB. From boot up and Install (fresh install) it take about 30 to 40 minutes. The first thing I do is setup my wifi and do a update on the base install.(about another 15 to 20 minutes). Like I said, I keep all my files and email in the cloud (Ubuntuone and Gmail). I have Google drive Ubuntu one and Dropbox and a few others. I keep a lot of stuff on remote drives also. This is where I am getting my statement that it takes me about an hour and I am up and running. My computer is usable. I have done this so many times it's second nature. (I also install Ubuntu on friend's computers and I have a server and a desktop running Ubuntu).
As far as reinstalling applications I do this on the fly as I need them. I keep a list of apps that I use so I know what I need.
The point being it is fast. I too also keep OS' on USB sticks so I could pop one in and boot to Puppy Linux or other distors.

monkeybrain2012
December 1st, 2012, 11:07 PM

Maybe you can play with them in WINE and then submit a rating to WINEHQ. Wonder if any virus gets platinum ratings. :)

jerome1232
December 1st, 2012, 11:20 PM
Wonder if any virus gets platinum ratings. :)

Last I heard of anyone trying this, they got pretty poor ratings, only one actually managed to run and none were able to do anything malicious.

Dragonbite
December 2nd, 2012, 04:18 AM
Just for the record I never timed it, but I install OS' 5 to 6 times a year if not more times. I try different distros and then come back to Ubuntu. I do Alpha/Beta testing so I do a lot of fresh installs.
I use an older Dell Inspiron 1521 for this and I have a 40 Mbps wired Internet connection. I do all my installing from a USB. From boot up and Install (fresh install) it take about 30 to 40 minutes. The first thing I do is setup my wifi and do a update on the base install.(about another 15 to 20 minutes). Like I said, I keep all my files and email in the cloud (Ubuntuone and Gmail). I have Google drive Ubuntu one and Dropbox and a few others. I keep a lot of stuff on remote drives also. This is where I am getting my statement that it takes me about an hour and I am up and running. My computer is usable. I have done this so many times it's second nature. (I also install Ubuntu on friend's computers and I have a server and a desktop running Ubuntu).
As far as reinstalling applications I do this on the fly as I need them. I keep a list of apps that I use so I know what I need.
The point being it is fast. I too also keep OS' on USB sticks so I could pop one in and boot to Puppy Linux or other distors.

Yeah, I am kinda like that too. I like using dropbox because I have a slow internet connection and dropbox allows me to synchronize over the LAN. So I get my files over the local network which is way faster than internet! IF there were any feature I would like Ubuntu One to get, this is it.

If I could synchronize with or mount SkyDrive I would be happy because I have 25GB available on that drive, compared to 5 on Ubuntu One and 2 on Dropbox.

Then again, on my Chromebook it is even faster :)

irv
December 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I am kinda like that too. I like using dropbox because I have a slow internet connection and dropbox allows me to synchronize over the LAN. So I get my files over the local network which is way faster than internet! IF there were any feature I would like Ubuntu One to get, this is it.

If I could synchronize with or mount SkyDrive I would be happy because I have 25GB available on that drive, compared to 5 on Ubuntu One and 2 on Dropbox.

Then again, on my Chromebook it is even faster :)

I am looking at getting a ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless AC 1750 Gigabit Router. It comes with 2 fast USB ports so I can use external HD on my local network and do file transfer very fast. With a firmware upgrade it will have AiCloud so I can remote into my drives over the Internet. When I get this setup I can get rid of all my cloud storage and have everything in one place. The only problem is this router is almost $200.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115&Tpk=asus%20rt%20ac66u
http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1750-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008ABOJKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354243788&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rt-ac66u+router

Dragonbite
December 3rd, 2012, 04:01 AM
I am looking at getting a ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless AC 1750 Gigabit Router. It comes with 2 fast USB ports so I can use external HD on my local network and do file transfer very fast. With a firmware upgrade it will have AiCloud so I can remote into my drives over the Internet. When I get this setup I can get rid of all my cloud storage and have everything in one place. The only problem is this router is almost $200.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115&Tpk=asus%20rt%20ac66u
http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1750-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008ABOJKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354243788&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rt-ac66u+router

That looks pretty nice. I've been wrestling with getting my network situated between the Zentyal firewall, gigabit switch, networked drive and wireless router (broken). This would solve the router, wireless and network drive (plugging in via USB a drive) in one. May be worth the price (or at least a letter to Santa!)

irv
December 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
That looks pretty nice. I've been wrestling with getting my network situated between the Zentyal firewall, gigabit switch, networked drive and wireless router (broken). This would solve the router, wireless and network drive (plugging in via USB a drive) in one. May be worth the price (or at least a letter to Santa!)

I can justify getting one, but all I need to do is convince my wife that we really need one.

rDwyP44y
December 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I believe there are 2 real problems for most Windows users, 1 is ease of use. I know that Ubuntu especially is getting better with each build but there is still the messing about in terminal that scares a lot of point and clicky Windows users they are used to Wizards and clicking buttons to configure stuff!

silverhaze06
December 7th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I would used to say netflix, but now that this things is around, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2084592&highlight=netflix The only thing windows can do that linux cant, is freeze constantly and get infected with thousands of viruses.:lolflag:

Akacheebe
December 24th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Windows XP, Vista and 7 will run Unreal Tournament just fine but I've never been able to get any version of Linux to do the same. That is basically the only reason I still have computers with multiple operating systems.

blackbird34
December 24th, 2012, 12:53 AM
fill up all your RAM and CPU while sitting there doing nothing at all.

Linuxratty
December 24th, 2012, 03:46 AM
fill up all your RAM and CPU while sitting there doing nothing at all.

I think this sums it up very nicely.:D

irv
December 24th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Tell you not to shut off your computer until it is done installing updates to the OS and make you wait and wait and wait. This is so annoying when you are in a hurry and want to take your laptop with you but you have to wait to close the lid or it will go into suspend mode. I have never had this happen with Linux.

silverhaze06
December 24th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Tell you not to shut off your computer until it is done installing updates to the OS and make you wait and wait and wait. This is so annoying when you are in a hurry and want to take your laptop with you but you have to wait to close the lid or it will go into suspend mode. I have never had this happen with Linux.

THAT IS THE WORST! I just that happen to me. I was just trying to re-export a project real quick before i had to turn it in and instead, I had to wait 45 minutes for 16 updates to install! With linux I never had to wait that long. Even when I've had over 200 updates, it never took nearly that long.

And another thing windows can do that linux can't, is install 50 million tool-bars in your browser whenever you try to install just one program. I seriously cant think of a single windows program that doesn't do that.

Dragonbite
December 25th, 2012, 04:30 AM
THAT IS THE WORST! I just that happen to me. I was just trying to re-export a project real quick before i had to turn it in and instead, I had to wait 45 minutes for 16 updates to install! With linux I never had to wait that long. Even when I've had over 200 updates, it never took nearly that long.

And another thing windows can do that linux can't, is install 50 million tool-bars in your browser whenever you try to install just one program. I seriously cant think of a single windows program that doesn't do that.

I hate it when that happens as well.

As for the toolbars, I haven't had one where I couldn't uncheck the box to not install it.

irv
December 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I hate it when that happens as well.

As for the toolbars, I haven't had one where I couldn't uncheck the box to not install it.

That's true about the toolbar uncheck box, but I can't tell you how many average window users have just clicked the OK to install or update something and ended up with another toolbar because then didn't see that little check box. I have cleaned up PC's for friends that had 3 or 4 toolbars in their browser and they told me they didn't know where they came from.

Gamer Boy
January 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Windows, although the most used IOS platform in the world, doesn't actually have much that Linux doesn't. Also, while doing the same operations, it needs to use more power in doing so. Windows is also closed source which means that anyone cant see the code and improve it. So (for example) Linux has python (i'm not sure if it is on windows, so if it is just tell me and we'll leave it at that) which lets people make things like games using Python code, post it for the world to see and let anyone improve the code. However, most windows programs don't let you even see the code, making them closed source, with a few exceptions (eg. Mozilla Firefox, which at lets you see the code, but I'm not sure if it lets you change it on any pages).

In conclusion, there isn't a lot that windows can do that linux can't. (sorry, I went off the subject a bit O:), but all I can say is :lolflag:)

Jakin
January 7th, 2013, 12:32 AM
...Linux has python (i'm not sure if it is on windows, so if it is just tell me and we'll leave it at that)

Indeed, Python does have Windows binaries :)

Bo Rogers
January 7th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Windows creates obsolete machines with each version while Ubuntu keeps older machines going. My 7yr old Dell is faster and better than when it was new!

Lucradia
January 7th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Windows creates obsolete machines with each version while Ubuntu keeps older machines going. My 7yr old Dell is faster and better than when it was new!

Do you use Unity2D or Unity 3D on that machine? (Since you said ubuntu, which would imply you didn't use the mini.iso to install just GNOME Classic.)

Dragonbite
January 7th, 2013, 02:41 AM

Unfortunately with dropping the non-PAE kernel and not handling the Intel i805 video (or something like it, I am too lazy to go see what my other laptop has that Ubuntu doesn't support anymore) even Ubuntu is making it harder to keep older machines going.

That's when I have to start to defer to openSUSE or Fedora. If nothing else fails, I could end up installing whatever version of Windows it came with.

So, for example, the Thinkpad I am typing this on requires a non-PAE kernel which Ubuntu is not offering past 12.04. Windows 7 work on it even though it came with Windows XP "back in the day".

LiamOS
January 7th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Windows can do this!

int main(void) {
long array[1];
int i;
for (i=0 ; i<=1000000 ; i++)
array[i] = 666;
return 666;
}

But Linux can't... Stupid Linux!

peyre
January 7th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Windows, although the most used IOS platform in the world, doesn't actually have much that Linux doesn't. Also, while doing the same operations, it needs to use more power in doing so.

I've noticed that. Modern Xubuntu seems roughly equivalent to XP in its demands on the computer, which is pretty good since you're comparing a modern OS to a decade-old one.

So (for example) Linux has python (i'm not sure if it is on windows, so if it is just tell me and we'll leave it at that)

Windows (XP, at least) doesn't come with Python, but you can install it easily enough. You just have to proactively download and install it.

frank cox
January 8th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Windows, although the most used IOS platform in the world, doesn't actually have much that Linux doesn't. Also, while doing the same operations, it needs to use more power in doing so. Windows is also closed source which means that anyone cant see the code and improve it. So (for example) Linux has python (i'm not sure if it is on windows, so if it is just tell me and we'll leave it at that) which lets people make things like games using Python code, post it for the world to see and let anyone improve the code. However, most windows programs don't let you even see the code, making them closed source, with a few exceptions (eg. Mozilla Firefox, which at lets you see the code, but I'm not sure if it lets you change it on any pages).

In conclusion, there isn't a lot that windows can do that linux can't. (sorry, I went off the subject a bit O:), but all I can say is :lolflag:)

Firefox is an open source program, it runs on many platforms so I miss your point. Yes you can change the code in Firefox. Linux = no viruses !!

llanitedave
January 10th, 2013, 05:43 AM
The only thing that Windows can do better than Linux is run Windows.

Unfortunately, for some shops, that's the only requirement they can think of.

DerekP
January 20th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I'm sure it's been said over the last 11 pages: Libraries.

I have files in multiple locations, locally and on a NAS, Windows Libraries make it very easy to view several locations in one view. Ubuntu does not help me at all in this regard. :(

Also, AutoHotKeys and Foobar2000.

peyre
January 21st, 2013, 05:15 AM
The only thing that Windows can do better than Linux is run Windows.

And Windows programs--games and applications (e.g., Photoshop). That's an item not to be ignored: Ubuntu is a great OS, but if it just won't run what's important to you, it isn't right for you.

Version Dependency
January 21st, 2013, 06:01 AM
Botnet zombies?

Korsakof
February 7th, 2013, 03:30 AM
- It can be used by normal people that are not geek or wannabe geek (normal people = 95% of the people on this planet).

- It runs apps that are user friendly and efficient. (Office, Picasa, Photoshop, Quicken, Scanner software, Skype, google earth, autocad, etc). (apps that are multiplatform like google earth runs better on windows)

Canonical should stop spending its money in fischer price UI like Unity and let the real desktop guys (Gnome, KDE and in particular Cinnamon) do their job.
It should spent his money on building desktop apps that works for normal people. LibreOffice is a good try but it should be sent to Trash and rewrite from scratch. F-Spot, Gimp, Gnucash have some good ideas but get real, those applications are toys and are not really usable (unless you put your head in the sand and ignore all issues)

Linux can run server apps like no other OSes. You can build a redondant cluster, a stream server, a cloud sharing, etc with apt-get install. It is the best OS ever for servers and geeks. I love linux and I hope that it will become a real desktop OS on day. A lot of work was done since 94 but the journey is not near to ends. Windows and Apple does not build only OSes. They also build wonderful apps that fills customer needs. That is what Canonical lack.

offgridguy
February 7th, 2013, 04:29 AM
- it can be used by normal people that are not geek or wannabe geek (normal people = 95% of the people on this planet).

- it runs apps that are user friendly and efficient. (office, picasa, photoshop, quicken, scanner software, skype, google earth, autocad, etc). (apps that are multiplatform like google earth runs better on windows)

canonical should stop spending its money in fischer price ui like unity and let the real desktop guys (gnome, kde and in particular cinnamon) do their job.
It should spent his money on building desktop apps that works for normal people. Libreoffice is a good try but it should be sent to trash and rewrite from scratch. F-spot, gimp, gnucash have some good ideas but get real, those applications are toys and are not really usable (unless you put your head in the sand and ignore all issues)

linux can run server apps like no other oses. You can build a redondant cluster, a stream server, a cloud sharing, etc with apt-get install. It is the best os ever for servers and geeks. I love linux and i hope that it will become a real desktop os on day. A lot of work was done since 94 but the journey is not near to ends. Windows and apple does not build only oses. They also build wonderful apps that fills customer needs. That is what canonical lack.
+1

SPARTAN-118
February 7th, 2013, 05:47 AM
- It runs apps that are user friendly and efficient. (Office, Picasa, Photoshop, Quicken, Scanner software, Skype, google earth, autocad, etc). (apps that are multiplatform like google earth runs better on windows)
If you absolutely must use Adobe Photoshop, then sorry but Linux will never be for you. Why? Because Adobe are a-holes and are dropping support for everything Linux, INCLUDING FLASH (not that it ever worked very well but whatever). Though it seems Google Chrome's version of Flash Player will continue to receive updates.
There are plenty of scanning utilities available, choose one. I use Picasa on Windows for the sole reason of viewing my pics fullscreen. Why people need a program to keep track of their photos is beyond me. Proper folder structure makes everything so much better.
As for Skype and Google Earth... not sure if you've been living under a rock but the former has been available for Linux for a long time now, while the latter is just a plugin. If you absolutely must use Google Earth and Google Maps' Street View isn't enough, just use Chrome. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Canonical should stop spending its money in fischer price UI like Unity and let the real desktop guys (Gnome, KDE and in particular Cinnamon) do their job.
It should spent his money on building desktop apps that works for normal people. LibreOffice is a good try but it should be sent to Trash and rewrite from scratch. F-Spot, Gimp, Gnucash have some good ideas but get real, those applications are toys and are not really usable (unless you put your head in the sand and ignore all issues)

Those are all just your opinions though. It seems to be a popular thing to hate on Unity, but if you gave it a chance you'd see it's really not that bad. It's also not going to disappear anytime soon. Ubuntu phones are set to launch October 2013, and guess what the UI is going to resemble?
I agree with you on LibreOffice. Microsoft Word 2013 is an excellent program, I've been using the preview for a while now. The integration with SkyDrive is something Ubuntu should consider with Ubuntu One: save to and open directly from the cloud.
GIMP on the other hand is just as powerful as Photoshop. Neither UI is really user friendly if you think about it, but if you learn on Photoshop then switch to GIMP of course you're going to have problems. That's what GIMPshop is for, though I've never gotten it working properly.

Linux can run server apps like no other OSes. You can build a redondant cluster, a stream server, a cloud sharing, etc with apt-get install. It is the best OS ever for servers and geeks. I love linux and I hope that it will become a real desktop OS on day. A lot of work was done since 94 but the journey is not near to ends. Windows and Apple does not build only OSes. They also build wonderful apps that fills customer needs. That is what Canonical lack.
I think I know what you're trying to say. It's true that Ubuntu could still use some work. But that's in part due to hardware and software vendors not supporting the platform or doing a really bad job at it. If little things were changed, like the ability to choose your desktop environment when you first install, with screenshots and everything, and making LibreOffice a bit more like the standard (even if that just means using the same keyboard shortcuts) I believe manufacturers and customers alike that are dissatisfied with Windows 8 (which if you ignore all the touch stuff is actually great) will come to Ubuntu and it can grow into the mainstream OS we all want it to be.

pljwebb
February 7th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I would say that the vast majority of Windows users aren't domestic but government or corporate users and their IT departments require a certain level of control. While it is possible to centrally manage a deployment of Linux desktops the tools available from Microsoft are easier to use and support. And speaking of support that's another thing that Windows has that other Linux distros lack, big corporations like being billed for things and Microsoft make that very easy, they will be seen as a safe option by those in control. Microsoft are the big blue chip software vendor and you can find many people who have MS qualifications to back up your business.

Korsakof
February 7th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Adobe are a-holes and are dropping support for everything Linux, INCLUDING FLASH (not that it ever worked very well but whatever). Though it seems Google Chrome's version of Flash Player will continue to receive updates.

I don't to use any Adobe apps. I want linux to create open source software that become industry standard because the app will be so good and user friendly. But now, Adobe leads in that kind of software (photoshop, illustrator, premiere, audition, ....)

As for Skype and Google Earth... not sure if you've been living under a rock but the former has been available for Linux

Not the latest version and always looks like a wine hack. ugly.

It seems to be a popular thing to hate on Unity, but if you gave it a chance you'd see it's really not that bad. It's also not going to disappear anytime soon. Ubuntu phones are set to launch October 2013, and guess what the UI is going to resemble?

I love cinnamon but he needs to be more responsivness. But still, "normal people" will not be able to understand the concept of windows manager and will not be able to choose between all option available. The inthebox UI must be perfect. Unity is nice because it is user friendly. I have installed 12.04 on my father pc and he loved it (unity). He was able to surf (wow), but he was not able to do what he needs with apps (office, etc) so now I need to reinstall windows :(

I want linux to be a model, not just a curiosity.

thenox
February 7th, 2013, 05:58 PM
The only things that really keep me on Windows is Netflix and certain 3D animation packages, such as modo, Lightwave, and Vue. Blender is great, and I'm learning it here and there.
So eventually I'll probably use Blender almost exclusively, but there's still Netflix.

thenox
February 7th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Oh, and the fact that something always seems to break or need tweaking in Linux. Most of the time, in my experience, Windows just works. (Ubuntu and other distros usually "just work," but again, things break or are more complicated to fix. Example: Sound doesn't always work, or you need to get codecs, but then your wireless isn't working, so you can't listen to music or watch videos until you fix the wireless. But you need to get online to search the forums for solutions, but you can't do that because wireless doesn't work and you're not near another computer, etc.

I hate to say that, because I would love nothing more than to dump Windows completely.

Korsakof
February 7th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Miguel de Icaza knows it!

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2012/Aug-29.html

What I mean with the title is that Linux on the Desktop lost the race for a consumer operating system. It will continue to be a great engineering workstation (that is why I am replacing the hard disk in my system at home) and yes, I am aware that many of my friends use Linux on the desktop and love it.

But we lost the chance of becoming a mainstream consumer OS. What this means is that nobody is recommending a non-technical person go get a computer with Linux on it for their desktop needs (unless you are doing it so for idelogical reasons).

We had our share of chances. The best one was when Vista bombed in the marketplace. But we had our own internal battles and struggles to deal with. Some of you have written your own takes of our struggled in that period.

Today, the various Linux on the desktops are the best they have ever been. Ubuntu and Unity, Fedora and GnomeShell, RHEL and Gnome 2, Debian and Xfce plus the KDE distros. And yet, we still have four major desktop APIs, and about half a dozen popular and slightly incompatible versions of Linux on the desktop: each with its own curated OS subsystems, with different packaging systems, with different dependencies and slightly different versions of the core libraries. Which works great for pure open source, but not so much for proprietary code.

Shipping and maintaining apps for these rapidly evolving platforms is a big challenge.

Linux succeeded in other areas: servers and mobile devices. But on the desktop, our major feature and our major differentiator is price, but comes at the expense of having a timid selection of native apps and frequent breakage. The Linux Hater blog parodied this on a series of posts called the Greatest Hates.

The only way to fix Linux is to take one distro, one set of components as a baseline, abadone everything else and everyone should just contribute to this single Linux. Whether this is Canonical's Ubutu, or Red Hat's Fedora or Debian's system or a new joint effort is something that intelligent people will disagree until the end of the days.

naano
February 7th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Oh, and the fact that something always seems to break or need tweaking in Linux. Most of the time, in my experience, Windows just works. (Ubuntu and other distros usually "just work," but again, things break or are more complicated to fix. Example: Sound doesn't always work, or you need to get codecs, but then your wireless isn't working, so you can't listen to music or watch videos until you fix the wireless. But you need to get online to search the forums for solutions, but you can't do that because wireless doesn't work and you're not near another computer, etc.

I hate to say that, because I would love nothing more than to dump Windows completely.

For me it's the exact opposite!:eek: (in regards to the drivers). I think it depends entirely on your hardware. My computer (a Dell laptop) is rather open source friendly when it comes to drivers, so a default Ubuntu install works way better than a default Windows install (again, for my hardware).
The reason I switched to Ubuntu a year ago was because of its awesome community support and unified software center, which Windows lacks. I agree though that wireless can be one of the harder things to deal with](*,).

naano
February 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM
The only things that really keep me on Windows is Netflix and certain 3D animation packages, such as modo, Lightwave, and Vue. Blender is great, and I'm learning it here and there.
So eventually I'll probably use Blender almost exclusively, but there's still Netflix.

Have you tried the netflix-desktop ppa?
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/how-to-use-netflix-in-ubuntu-through.html
It works quite well in my opinion, though it automatically starts in fullscreen mode.(you can press F11 go back to windowed though)

frank cox
February 7th, 2013, 09:20 PM
- It can be used by normal people that are not geek or wannabe geek (normal people = 95% of the people on this planet).

I have people in their 60's and 70's that run Puppy Linux. It allows them to securely check their stocks , send email. and play solitaire which is all they do and it flies on equipment windows won't boot on.

No system is perfect but your knowledge is obviously very lacking seeing you are unaware, as others have mentioned, that many of the apps you complain about Linux not running have been working fine for years , also you seem unaware Ubuntu is just one Linux distro , the new desktops for Linux Mint ,Cinnamon and Mate , I think you would like better.

I have zero problems with the scanner software built into Linux and if you use a Linux friendly All-in-One like the Epson 700 you can install more sophisticated scanner software , but why?

Quicken 2007 runs fine on WINE so that is not an issue. As far as I am concerned SoftMaker is superior to Word on Linux or Windows and if you have to have it Word runs on WINE as well. Word is slow , expensive , and full of proprietary nonsense like docx , it sucks.
Softmaker Mobile blows Word away!

http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofppress_en.htm
Most people can get away using SM 2008 which is free , i is similar to Word 2003.
I ran Picaso for a few weeks and then went back to using the hard drive , who needs the frills?

frank cox
February 7th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Forgot to say modern versions of SM are compatible with docx and all are compatible with Excel and Powerpoint as well as Open Office , Libre etc.

pakopako
February 7th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Netzero Broadband USB and Civilization II. That's all I can come up with.

Civ 2 (game) still checks for a CDROM, and Netzero's USB dongle (UBEE PXU190 E) has no Linux drivers. Some rare closed-source hardware may also falter in a *NIX environment (my Toshiba/Ricoh internal SD card reader), but those are rare instances.

Dragonbite
February 8th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Netzero Broadband USB and Civilization II. That's all I can come up with.

Civ 2 (game) still checks for a CDROM, and Netzero's USB dongle (UBEE PXU190 E) has no Linux drivers. Some rare closed-source hardware may also falter in a *NIX environment (my Toshiba/Ricoh internal SD card reader), but those are rare instances.

I think FreeCiv is supposed to be based on Civilization II. Right now my son is playing it, and I have lost way to many nights of sleep to the darn thing.

It even has a Windows version!

ivotkl
February 8th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Besides gaming (which I rarely do and if I do, I use other devices for it). I've found that sometimes files recovery for windows files is more effective if using a Windows software.

Other than that, Linux has been overwhelming me and fulfilling my needs since 2009.

pakopako
February 8th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I think FreeCiv is supposed to be based on Civilization II. Right now my son is playing it, and I have lost way to many nights of sleep to the darn thing.
While I like FreeCiv as a concept, it's just not quite the same. Specifically the ease of which Civ2 takes to set up rather than the tireless menu and keyboard configuring it takes to turn FreeCiv into Civ2. (And then the combat still needs tweaking.)

afc888ny
February 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Posted on: http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=435866

Also a lot of professionals miss Photoshop.

I'm not in a profession that uses Photoshop, but GIMP for editing pictures and PDF-Shuffler(gscan2pdf) for combining, reshuffling and rotating individual one page pdf documents into multipage pdf documents work really well.
Even if you already scanned into jpg format, just organize the jpg files needed to be made/added to the multipage pdf document in one folder, then enter "convert *.jpg filename.pdf" to convert multiple jpg files into one pdf file.
In case you think PDF-Shuffler reshuffles pages too slowly, then before converting jpg to pdf use "sudo vidir -v *.jpg" to rename en masse all the jpg files so that they are first in order, then convert them to a multipage pdf document with the "convert " command in terminal.

afc888ny
February 10th, 2013, 09:39 AM
For me when I am keeping my second language Chinese in shape, certain Chinese software just doesn't work, more specifically QQ instant messenger(Pidgin took QQ off their list of protocols) and PPStream.
Even though both QQ and PPS have an Ubuntu version, but when I install QQ it turns out being outdated, so even though it looks like an installed software, still you can't login, so it's still a sham. PPS's linux version softare looks like it installed perfectly also, except when you hit the "play" button to start the TV program/movie, it just sits there like a dead animal on the highway. Of course with Tencent the animated commercials on the side fully function, if not then they might have to change their name to twocent.

Andrew

n4pgw
February 10th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...

Bog down your computer more and more with each and every upgrade.

SPARTAN-118
February 10th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Bog down your computer more and more with each and every upgrade.

That's funny, Windows 8 with a direct upgrade from Windows 7 - not a clean install - on my desktop computer runs faster than Windows 7.
I take it the last time you used a modern Windows OS was Vista?

Also, frank cox, you say Microsoft Word is expensive, and that may be true (don't know what Office 2013 prices will be, I've been using the free Consumer Preview of it, and then only Word). However, $80 for SoftMaker isn't exactly cheap, either.

frank cox
February 19th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Two things right off the bat.

Now HOW TO CRASH UBUNTU: Insert Epson Artisan 700 CD ROM. Wait until the message saying the CD contains executable code and then go to browse the CD. Wham! Reboot in progress and continues until the CD is removed. What an eye opener that was. And to think I actually e-mailed Epson about Linux support for the Artisan 700. Maybe Epson hates Linux and put reboot code on the CD. Or maybe I just a bad CD, naw worked fine on the two XP machines, no BSOD on them.

First you only use "run as " for certain programs most people would never use it
and nobody uses regularly save maybe an IT guy or a programmer.. Do a search for permissions and learn how to change the permissions . Often you can right click on the file and choose permissions and change them as desired. If that does not work you can use the chown {change owner} or the chmod command . You have to remember Linux was designed to be a advanced multi-user with bulletproof security. It is a bit challenging t0 set the mis-configured permissions when your new but it gets easier quick and is seldom needed.
Windows security is non-existent in comparison.

As far as you trying to use a windows install disk for anything in Linux or trying to execute and exe file {windows executable} makes me question whether or not you truly comprehend what an operating system is or for that matter an executable file , as someone already asked :what do you think would happen if you put a Linux or Mac disk in a Window machine ?

I use an Epson 700 Artisan all in one with Linux , on Ubuntu all you need to do is hook the printer and agree when it pops up a message asking is you wish to install it. Takes all of 15 seconds to install as long as you have an up to date Epson driver package installed. There is a very good chance it is there out of the box. Most printers , if they are compatible, install automatically when you turn them on for the first time, what could be easier? Epson also offers Linux drivers for the scanner but Simple Scan or XSane and a number of other generic scanner software programs work fine for my needs.
. For more advanced features than even proprietary software provides try vuscan http://www.hamrick.com/

Linux is cool , vuscan will work on over 1800 scanners and simple scan and Xsane even more. Have an old scanner? With windows you could spend a half a day looking for drivers , with Linux the odds are overwhelming one of those 3 will work.

Linux is not for everyone. Maybe you would be happier with Puppy Linux, it is super fast and it runs in memory so even though it runs as root all the time I have never heard of anyone having a security problem with it, o any other distro for that matter.

prodigy_
February 20th, 2013, 04:48 AM
That's funny, Windows 8 with a direct upgrade from Windows 7 - not a clean install - on my desktop computer runs faster than Windows 7.
Yeah, Win8 is generally faster than Win7 almost in all cases... except where performance actually matters (http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page3.html).

PendragonUK
February 25th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I keep Windows around for very specific games and recording those games for YouTube.

I'm looking forward to a time when that is not the case but right now it's a fact. If I want to play the games I enjoy. Continue to play those games with my Windows running friends I will have to keep a partition for Windows.

I have a YouTube channel devoted to gaming, the games I record run on Windows. The method of recording those games is on Windows, but I do the editing on Ubuntu. I know that there are screen recorders that "can" run on Ubuntu but they don't do it well or well enough to be feasible. Even then it doesn't answer the question of the viewer numbers I would get if I limited my gaming to native Linux games.

My Linux Steam collection is growing, the list of games I own that run is getting longer. The simple fact is that those games run more smoothly on Windows. There are many more that currently don't run and I can never see being ported. As a gamer that prefers Linux to Windows I welcome Valves introduction of Steam but it's not the silver bullet some would like to think it is.

KnownSyntax
February 26th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Currently some games can only work in Windows although more and more are porting over to Linux there are still a ton more that only work on Windows. Some business programs only work on Linux as well since Microsoft has the American business in it's hands with software such as Access, Excel, Project, Visual Studio, etc. (although there are some alternatives it's still not to the full quality that Microsoft is at yet).

I always have a copy of Windows installed on my machine as the primary operating system, and then Linux either as a dual boot or in a virtual machine (depending on how much I use that operating system).

offgridguy
February 26th, 2013, 02:33 AM
I always have a copy of Windows installed on my machine as the primary operating system, and then Linux either as a dual boot or in a virtual machine (depending on how much I use that operating system).
I pretty much do the same, windows is the workhorse, linux is the email
checker, web browser.

mamamia88
February 26th, 2013, 06:49 AM
IE. Tried to configure a wireless bridge today and for some reason settings wouldn't save in the configuration page unless I used IE. Really pissed me off. At least I have one windows pc in the house. And seriously who creates a product that can be configured in a browser but doesn't even work with chrome or Firefox?

nudge
February 26th, 2013, 06:55 PM
W7 will run Adobe Flash and I don't need to put up with Unity. Are they (the Ubuntu fathers) trying to kill Ubuntu? I have been using Linux for the past 5 or 6 years and it has just gotten more difficult, I'm getting ready to quit Linux.

mamamia88
February 26th, 2013, 07:44 PM
W7 will run Adobe Flash and I don't need to put up with Unity. Are they (the Ubuntu fathers) trying to kill Ubuntu? I have been using Linux for the past 5 or 6 years and it has just gotten more difficult, I'm getting ready to quit Linux.

They are trying to improve linux just like so many other people. Whether or not they are succeeding is subjective. There is no reason for complaint when you have so many other options. Oh and flash works just fine in linux. Extract it and copy file to Firefox plugins folder or just use chrome

Dragonbite
February 27th, 2013, 02:48 PM
IE. Tried to configure a wireless bridge today and for some reason settings wouldn't save in the configuration page unless I used IE. Really pissed me off. At least I have one windows pc in the house. And seriously who creates a product that can be configured in a browser but doesn't even work with chrome or Firefox?

I seriously think that this is a sign of a poor product. If they are not going to be detail-orientated enough to support non-Windows then it has to make you wonder where else did they cut corners ...?

Especially in this day and age when things are moving more rapidly! Does it matter which IE it runs in?

There's enough Unity, Gnome-shell and Window 8 "What the $&^%^% were they thinking??" type posts that I think it is a wash overall.

Thankfully Ubuntu has some apps to circumnavigate this, such as Pithos for listening to Pandora.

mamamia88
February 27th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I seriously think that this is a sign of a poor product. If they are not going to be detail-orientated enough to support non-Windows then it has to make you wonder where else did they cut corners ...?

Especially in this day and age when things are moving more rapidly! Does it matter which IE it runs in?

There's enough Unity, Gnome-shell and Window 8 "What the $&^%^% were they thinking??" type posts that I think it is a wash overall.

Thankfully Ubuntu has some apps to circumnavigate this, such as Pithos for listening to Pandora.
Well it's an older madcatz wireless adaptor for the xbox without a wireless card in it. I had it lying around and figured I'd get some use out of it. It is really stupid though how they did't think of saying "hey let's test to make sure this configuration page actually works in other browsers". Not sure if it really matters what version of ie it runs in.

PeteThePen1
March 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Having recently changed horses, I can sympathise with the loss of some Windows functionality, but it is so nice to have fast booting and stability. My approach, as a newbie has been to install Virtual Box and run my legacy Windows software in that. It runs faster than in my former Windows machine and the only think I cannot get it to do is to look at the Internet. Of course that does mean no virus threat, no perpetual updates and peace and quiet. All my other needs are met within Ubuntu, but Gimp seems more difficulty to use than Fireworks, but that will probably change with time.

What I miss from DOS days is autoexec. I guess Ubuntu supports this but I have yet to find out how...

Regards

Pete

prodigy_
March 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM
What I miss from DOS days is autoexec. I guess Ubuntu supports this but I have yet to find out how...

You can edit /etc/rc.local or schedule a cron script to run @reboot. If you want to auto-run GUI apps in Unity, you'll need to configure Startup Applications list.

mamamia88
March 2nd, 2013, 09:09 PM
Take over an hour to update after a fresh install, then reboot to apply updates, then fail to configure updates, then revert the updates, then try again. True story. My dad bought a netbook from a pawn shop for himself yesterday. He's used to windows so I did a fresh install of windows 7 for him. The only third party thing I installed was flash. All he uses is ie and free cell and it took forever to get a fully patched windows 7 install. Not to mention rebooting during the install process right back to the initial screen because i had changed boot priority to boot off usb stick first and i had walked away. You would think that microsoft would find away to smartly manage reboots during install so that you can walk away and have it done installing when you come back. And I didn't see a key press for choosing boot device. All I saw was a key to enter bios just booting off the usb stick once and keeping the hdd as boot one really wasn't an option.

gurrunaki
March 4th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Still thinking Photoshop is a heavy reason...

Woodzman
March 4th, 2013, 04:35 PM
No argument here.

MasterNetra
March 4th, 2013, 10:34 PM
lol This is still alive? This was started back in 2007 XD

xycris
March 5th, 2013, 01:16 AM
what windows can do that linux can't? well, linux can't make money out of its users and can't give you a BSOD.
typically, linux systems can do what windows systems can with more access to tons of open source softwares. in some cases, due to sheer number of developers in one open source project, it is more reliable with a number of support readily available on their respective community.
about having proprietary apps, there are ways to make them run in linux, however, there are open source alternatives too! from the perspective of commercial third party apps developers, they favoured windows and mac support because of its number of users, notably the windows users. linux, as an operating system is not a mainstream at the typical personal computer arena.
with much support, the open source alternatives, including linux, can outperform the commercial ones someday. the commercial ones can do innovations because they have financial support coming in through their revenues. however, it is different in open source projects.
hope you can join the movement and be a part of a project.
(i am not being biased because this is a linux based community but just pointing out that there two sides of a coin, it is a matter of the person's capacity to acquire the alternate coin in a legal manner.)

jazzabrotha
March 5th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Really good CD rippers. K3b is great but EAC on windows is miles better. It sucks because EAC doesn't work well in wine.

dasking
March 5th, 2013, 04:15 PM
actually gaming is also gonna be on linux as well
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/360906/steams-proposed-move-to-linux-is-unethical-gnu-founder/
it's because windows 8 sucks for gaming

Goff256
March 6th, 2013, 01:52 AM
actually gaming is also gonna be on linux as well
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/360906/steams-proposed-move-to-linux-is-unethical-gnu-founder/
it's because windows 8 sucks for gaming

Steam is moving to Linux, but please don't assume that it's moving to Linux because Gabe sees Windows 8 as being horrible to gamers and that he just wants to help us. Windows 8 has something that competes with Steam, or at least has a potential to. Imagine if Microsoft started to give the same deals that Steam did, but you can now have them on any Windows 8 or above machine without having to install Steam.

It might not go anywhere, but Gabe is a smart guy. He knows a (potential) threat when he sees one. He also knows he can make money on Linux, because there is a dedicated group of people who will use it.

There are a lot of things bad with Windows 8 right now, but gaming isn't one of them.

X D face me
March 6th, 2013, 11:24 PM
about gaming on linux/ubuntu: all top-titles (call of duty, assassins creed, FIFA, need for speed, etc) are only available on windows. yes, recently steam released their linux version, but there are still not much games available there.

a few other things i miss are adobe photoshop and after effects. gimp isn't as far as good as photoshop (from my point of view) and i dont know any linux replacement for after effects.

mamamia88
March 7th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Photoshop costs as much as some computers. Gimp is free what exactly do you expect? I wonder how many people who complain about no photoshop for linux has actually ever bought a copy or who actually would if they released it.

gb74
March 7th, 2013, 04:31 AM

That's because Photoshop really didn't try to go after pirates early on. They let all these people pirate it, get used to it, and subsequently become hooked on it.

People used it in their professional and home life. Cornered the market.

Azyx
March 7th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Linux and Ubuntu are quite bad at running most trojans and worms out there.

Dragonbite
March 7th, 2013, 04:47 PM
That's because Photoshop really didn't try to go after pirates early on. They let all these people pirate it, get used to it, and subsequently become hooked on it.

People used it in their professional and home life. Cornered the market.

Adobe knows a good situation when they find it! That's why they DIDN'T try to stop pirates early on.

Gimp is good for the most part, but I hear that it doesn't compare to Photoshop for anybody really familiar with Photoshop.

For me, both seem overly complicated for what I do and either a Photo manager with editor or basic image editors work fine. I'd be happy if Pinta and Paint.NET converged more.

prodigy_
March 7th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Adobe knows a good situation when they find it! That's why they DIDN'T try to stop pirates early on.
Because now with activation and stuff everyone's eager to buy Photoshop for just $700. Oh, wait...

/facepalm

avsprasad
March 8th, 2013, 03:05 PM
In Windows, you can use Clipboard monitoring in several text editors - Editplus, Exdor etc. Clipboard monitoring (autopaste into an open text file or document) does not seem to be available in Ubuntu. Only clipboard programs, which you cannot directly edit and save. This is a big disappointment for me, as I used autocopy in firefox with autopaste in a text editor while in Windows. Just keep marking stuff on the browser, and it is copied in the background in your text editor...and then you edit it and save it.

leunam12
March 9th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Still thinking Photoshop is a heavy reason...Have you tried running Photoshop in Wine?

pfeiffep
March 10th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Photoshop, iTunes for sync with iphone, TaxAct for taxes desktop version. Stopping support and charging for upgrade to current software. Requiring a robust antivirus program.
Certainly not a long list - I'm certain that M$ has other gotchas but I'm pretty happy with Linux - Ubuntu.

craig10x
March 10th, 2013, 03:51 AM
For TaxAct you might want to try the online version...i have used it for several years now and it is excellent....in fact, did my taxes yesterday using it on my ubuntu 13.04 that i am currently running...

pfeiffep
March 10th, 2013, 02:04 PM
For TaxAct you might want to try the online version...i have used it for several years now and it is excellent....in fact, did my taxes yesterday using it on my ubuntu 13.04 that i am currently running...

Thanks! I noticed that the online version provides the capability to import last year's desktop version's return:)

craig10x
March 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM
You are very welcome! I forgot to mention that (i use that feature too and it works great) :)

And you don't have to do the whole thing in one session (though i tend to but that's me....lol) it will save all you have entered until the next time you log into it, and then picks up where you left off...

fredglinux
March 11th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Ubuntu does not recognize my Passport External Disk, i.e., without some tweaking from an expert in Linux software. If Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (forget 12.04) could recognize 'automatically' the USB drives, I would have switched long ago to UBuntu 10.04 LTS. Also, although Open Office is nice, because it is free, it is not Microsoft Word. Word has its problems, but it is still better, in most instances, than Open Office Writer. ( I just cannot get used to Ubuntu 12.04. I tried Mint Mate and Mint Cinnamon, also Fedora 15, but Ubuntu 10.04 LTS has my vote!) I just wish that Canoni...... would maintain and upgrade Ubuntu 10.04 LTS like Mint has the Mate version and the Cinnamon version.

prodigy_
March 11th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Ubuntu does not recognize my Passport External Disk, i.e., without some tweaking from an expert in Linux software.
:) Running a mount command or editing /etc/fstab doesn't require an expert in anything. There are literally dozens of step-by-step howtos on that.

If Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (forget 12.04) could recognize 'automatically' the USB drives
It can - just so you know. If you need help with auto-mounting USB, you can ask in General Help or Absolute Beginner section.

Microsoft Word. Word has its problems, but it is still better, in most instances, than Open Office Writer.
I can't imagine anything that MS Word would be better at, except - sometimes - opening documents authored in MS Word.

Cajamarcawarrior
March 11th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Engineering programs are the biggest problems for me. CAD programs and simulation programs are expensive. Considering, I already bought one; and it was based on windows, I can not run those programs in Linux. I need to buy the Linux versions of those programs and either they are not exist in Linux, or I have to buy and I don't want to spend money for the same program once more.

mamamia88
March 11th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Ubuntu does not recognize my Passport External Disk, i.e., without some tweaking from an expert in Linux software. If Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (forget 12.04) could recognize 'automatically' the USB drives, I would have switched long ago to UBuntu 10.04 LTS. Also, although Open Office is nice, because it is free, it is not Microsoft Word. Word has its problems, but it is still better, in most instances, than Open Office Writer. ( I just cannot get used to Ubuntu 12.04. I tried Mint Mate and Mint Cinnamon, also Fedora 15, but Ubuntu 10.04 LTS has my vote!) I just wish that Canoni...... would maintain and upgrade Ubuntu 10.04 LTS like Mint has the Mate version and the Cinnamon version.
A) Passports have some special software on them correct? Format it and delete everything then it should work just like any other external drive. B) Use mint then it's Ubuntu with cinnamon.

Dragonbite
March 12th, 2013, 05:45 PM
:) I can't imagine anything that MS Word would be better at, except - sometimes - opening documents authored in MS Word.

In word I click on one button, move the cursor over whatever it is I want to capture and the image clip is placed in the Word document. From there I can crop and apply additional borders and effects. This is available for all of the Office documents (2010 at least), so it is just as easy to include in email, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

I especially like being able to show in an email step-by-step instructions with images of what I am talking about.

As far as I know, LibreOffice and OpenOffice cannot crop the image in the document, nor capture a full or partial screenshot (well, maybe full if you use the "Print Screen" button) so you have to use some other program to do it. It may not be difficult, but I find MS Office's version suits me well, is quick and easy, and done.

Actually with a lot of Microsoft software, things are pretty simple, easy and done. Using Windows Photo Manager and Movie Maker I was able to easily create a 10 and a 20 minute slideshow including music. The longest process was going through 2,000 pictures and determining which to use and to crop them to the focus of the picture.

Yes it worked, for the most part, with some hitches. I am trying to recreate it, for the most part, using KDEnlive to see whether it is a viable alternative.

Except for the initial start-up time (which is probably the .NET framework), Paint.NET has a simpler interface and still includes most of the tools I ever use than Gimp or Photoshop.

Are they perfect? No. Do I wish I could take parts and run them in Linux (merge the best of both worlds)? Heck, yeah!

sluxuer
March 30th, 2013, 04:19 AM
i cant not answer, but i will lovely with ubuntu, i want to learn, learn, & learn about open sources and ubuntu.:)

frank cox
March 30th, 2013, 08:29 AM
In word I click on one button, move the cursor over whatever it is I want to capture and the image clip is placed in the Word document. From there I can crop and apply additional borders and effects. This is available for all of the Office documents (2010 at least), so it is just as easy to include in email, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

I especially like being able to show in an email step-by-step instructions with images of what I am talking about.

As far as I know, LibreOffice and OpenOffice cannot crop the image in the document, nor capture a full or partial screenshot (well, maybe full if you use the "Print Screen" button) so you have to use some other program to do it. It may not be difficult, but I find MS Office's version suits me well, is quick and easy, and done.

Actually with a lot of Microsoft software, things are pretty simple, easy and done. Using Windows Photo Manager and Movie Maker I was able to easily create a 10 and a 20 minute slideshow including music. The longest process was going through 2,000 pictures and determining which to use and to crop them to the focus of the picture.

Yes it worked, for the most part, with some hitches. I am trying to recreate it, for the most part, using KDEnlive to see whether it is a viable alternative.

Except for the initial start-up time (which is probably the .NET framework), Paint.NET has a simpler interface and still includes most of the tools I ever use than Gimp or Photoshop.

Are they perfect? No. Do I wish I could take parts and run them in Linux (merge the best of both worlds)? Heck, yeah!

SoftMaker does all that just 10 times faster and runs perfectly because it has a Linux version.

MaxLinuxLover
March 31st, 2013, 12:25 AM
Call itself Windows

frank cox
April 1st, 2013, 12:21 AM
Call itself Windows

Sure, might take a while but you could make Linux call itself windows, the qestion is why would you? LOL!

frank cox
April 1st, 2013, 12:27 AM
The powerPoint replacement for SoftMaker Office , Presentations , is 100% compatible w/ PP way faster. , SM Presentations was using animation while PP users could only dream of them. Try it. If you keep it it is much less than MS Office and unless you are one of those people who actually use MS Publisher you loose nothing , gain speed and they take your word that you are only using 3 licenses per purchase.

Bo Rogers
April 1st, 2013, 02:33 AM
Well said!

Phil Binner
April 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM
What can Windows do that Ubuntu can't.

Ubuntu has come a long way in the last few years, and since I am of the opinion that Microsoft is a spawn of the devil, only just pipped in rank evil by Apple, I would love to answer "nothing" to this question. Unfortunately my real answer is "Practically everything". In word processing, for instance, I can't set Open Office to use microsoft formats as standard, so when I want to communicate to the outside world, which is practically always, I have to convert everything, and I have to do it on a one off basis. Spreadsheets are even worse, because If I set them to Microsoft formats they take forever to save, and if I convert them as I go then every so often the formulas get replaced by the actual values.

Banking is a big issue, because however secure Ubuntu is in essence, it is still possible to get viruses, and if it isn't yet then it will be as soon as some crook thinks the user base is rich enough to make it worth his while. And last time I looked there was no equivalent to Norton, McCaffe, etc. which works with Ubuntu - so no banking for me.

Emails should be easy, but if you keep your documents on the network then unless you're a tekky you wont be able to put attachments on emails unless you import them onto your local disc first. This is not just for emails, actually, because if you want to see the network from pretty much any application you have to mount it into a share first. I am currently trying to get over this one, but so far no luck. What is involved is to grovel around in a terminal. I'm trying to follow instructions but most of the terminology is not obvious to anyone who l.ives in the real world.

And that brings me to the real answer to the question. Ubuntu has a support network that Windows would give it's eye teeth for, way better than anything else anywhere, but whenever I try to use it someone wants me to open a terminal. Usually I can manage it eventually, but why. Terminals are 1990's stuff. I wouldn't want to try to take the terminal away from the Tekky, but can the rest of us please be allowed to move on. Fine for really deep technical issues, but everything in day-to-day use should be possible without it. Whenever a support agent is tempted to type the line "sudo apt get" in an answer to the beginners forum they should slap themselves on the wrist and think of another answer. If there isn't one then it's an indication that Ubuntu doesn't work properly yet and they should send off a development request. That is, if Ubuntu ever wants to actually compete in the real world, rather than just talk about it.

So a big "please" to all Ubuntu developers. Can we once and for all commit to GUI and make things work properly.

prodigy_
April 1st, 2013, 04:29 PM
I can't set Open Office to use microsoft formats as standard
I smell April Fools' here...

(OK, just in case you're serious: Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Always save as... > scroll the list up.)

irv
April 1st, 2013, 10:20 PM
Let me start out by saying I live in a small town, but it is a lot of Binners living here. Just happen to see your name is Phil Binner.
Someone already answered you question about saving in MS Office format. Now about online banking. Been doing this for a long time now using Ubuntu Linux and have never had a problem. I feel more secure using Linux then I ever did using Windows.
Next as far as networks go, again never had any problems, and that goes for attaching file to emails. I even use a Pogoplug with external hard drives and cloud storage without problems.
Last comment on the terminal. I like using the terminal, but just about anything you want to do you should be able to fine a GUI program to do the same. If you don't want to use the terminal just askubuntu how to do it using a GUI program and someone will point you in the right direction.
By the way I am totally Windows free for over a year now and I don't miss it one bit.

raspatan
April 1st, 2013, 11:18 PM
sincerely, I cannot get the quality that I want with libreoffice or openoffice as I get with MSoffice. I switched fully to Ubuntu only because I have access in my university or via remote desktop to a windows system where I can use MSoffice when I need it. Else, I would have both installed.

Also some software do not exist for linux. Sure, there are always alternatives but when you work in an environment where most of the language is in windows software and you communicate on it I cannot spend time learning other languages because that would complicate my life and work even more.

teddybairs1
April 2nd, 2013, 01:27 AM
There isn't much more, I think, which can be added to what has already been said. Most of it is little annoyances based on dependence on proprietary Windows specific software. Yeah, there are some games I enjoy that don't work under Ubuntu either with WINE or Virtualbox. Is that enough to make me want to switch back to Windows 7? Nope. Yes, Libreoffice.org doesn't always have all the bells and whistles that MS Office has, but I don't have to rent a copy from MS, now do I? Yes, there's occasional hiccups with driver support, but it's worlds and away better than when I started using Linux in 2004 (Lindows and Progeny Debian, remember them?), and Windows still can't hold a candle to running a Linux OS straight from the Optical Drive without touching the hard drive. This is probably the most useful thing as a Computer Tech that I have ever run across. So, yes, when it comes to particular applications that run only on Windows, then yes, there are things that Windows can do better than Linux simply because those apps were written for Windows. When it comes to the Operating System itself, Ubuntu or any flavor of Linux, there really isn't any comparison. It's the best kept secret in the computer industry.

prodigy_
April 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
I cannot get the quality
"Quality" is a meaningless word here. Exactly which features do you need and can't get in LO? Have you tried to make a feature request via Ask LibreOffice site (http://ask.libreoffice.org/en)?

I like using the terminal, but just about anything you want to do you should be able to fine a GUI program to do the same.
To be honest, I don't understand why people still hate command line at all. CLI is merely a simple tool like a screwdriver or a hammer or a pencil. Ever wrote something with a pencil? Using CLI is the same thing (unless you dive into actual programming).

I guess people just think that changing settings via GUI magically leads to expected results while doing the same via CLI is bound to fail. Nothing could be further from truth. Especially since they blindly follow howtos anyway. And when you blindly follow a howto, what's the difference? You don't even need to type those commands, you can copypaste them.

zippytex
April 2nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
SOLVED! Found a way to do it, much like in windows. In Windows you can change the behavior of the double click to a single click by going to control panel, folder options and checking the single click. I wish we could do that on Ubuntu.

But, a doubleclick is a small price to pay NOT to have use windows.

Mary:KS

prodigy_
April 2nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
I wish we could do that on Ubuntu.
Guess what? You can: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/05/windows-7-vs-ubuntu-12-04-enable-single-click-to-open-items/

Dragonbite
April 2nd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Guess what? You can: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/05/windows-7-vs-ubuntu-12-04-enable-single-click-to-open-items/

KDE has this option as well.

frank cox
April 4th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Funny but the F.B.I. and the Australian Secret Police use a Puppy Linux disk for their banking and absolutely warn against ever using windows, but I guess their idiots?
Open Office is not the only alternative, Softmaker office is totally compatible and way faster.

It would be nice if everyone could be appeased with free software but if you don't know how to use the terminal you don't really know windows either. Worrying about viruses on Linux is like worrying about a 747 landing on you, it;s possible but why worry , the odds are millions to one.

frank cox
April 4th, 2013, 12:54 AM
SOLVED! Found a way to do it, much like in windows. In Windows you can change the behavior of the double click to a single click by going to control panel, folder options and checking the single click. I wish we could do that on Ubuntu.

But, a doubleclick is a small price to pay NOT to have use windows.

Mary:KS

Mary , try googling the question. Puppy Linux is set to single click by default and any Linux can be used either way.

frank cox
April 4th, 2013, 12:55 AM
sincerely, I cannot get the quality that I want with libreoffice or openoffice as I get with MSoffice. I switched fully to Ubuntu only because I have access in my university or via remote desktop to a windows system where I can use MSoffice when I need it. Else, I would have both installed.

Also some software do not exist for linux. Sure, there are always alternatives but when you work in an environment where most of the language is in windows software and you communicate on it I cannot spend time learning other languages because that would complicate my life and work even more.

Try SoftMaker Office , no wories! SM is very similar to MS Office, the learning curve is a matter of minutes. A windows virus will complicate your life I gaurantee! The number one problem people had with the machines brought to my shop was windows viruses, by far!

frank cox
April 4th, 2013, 01:13 AM
To whoever said that winmodems will not work in Linux I switched to linux primarily because waiting for virus dat files to download made a miserable experience dreadful. About 60 % of them will work in Puppy Linux 431 or newer versions with the additional drivers and usually it is easier than windows to set up. Ubuntu and it's variants require a bit of time but many will work as well. If you are stuck on dialup buy a hardware modem. You will get a better connection and it will work on any os. If you are too cheap to do that and too lazy to look up Linux compatible modems I have yet to see any system that won't recognize the cheap usb winmodems on ebay, around 10 bucks.

peyre
April 4th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Funny but the F.B.I. and the Australian Secret Police use a Puppy Linux disk for their banking and absolutely warn against ever using windows, but I guess their idiots?

I agree, but: careful with words like there, their, and they're, if you're going to throw around the "i" word.

frank cox
April 5th, 2013, 02:02 AM
LOL , I am also now and know handicapped.

frank cox
April 5th, 2013, 02:11 AM
For those who think MS Office is necessary it can be run under wine with just a few cosmetic flaws. A better solution is Softmaker Office, it flies , the PP alternative is superior , Word and Ecxell are totally compatible and it cost less than half for 3 licences on the honor system that MS for one not to mention you have to pay 139.00 to install to another machine, your laptop for instance and if your machine fails or you upgrade to a better machine you CANNOT move your program to another machine. Also Sm Office has a Linux version and a windows version, if I was forced a gunpoint to return to Billy Boxes I would poney up the 99.00 {for me 45.00 as I am a returning customer} because I like SM better period! Who needs a Billy Box?

Slim Odds
April 5th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Open Office is not the only alternative, Softmaker office is totally compatible and way faster.

It would be nice if everyone could be appeased with free software but if you don't know how to use the terminal you don't really know windows either. Worrying about viruses on Linux is like worrying about a 747 landing on you, it;s possible but why worry , the odds are millions to one.
I just hope that they're better with grammar.

frank cox
April 5th, 2013, 02:35 AM
Uf course they is batter , they went's two's gammer skool !

Dragonbite
April 5th, 2013, 03:27 AM
For those who think MS Office is necessary it can be run under wine with just a few cosmetic flaws. A better solution is Softmaker Office, it flies , the PP alternative is superior , Word and Ecxell are totally compatible and it cost less than half for 3 licences on the honor system that MS for one not to mention you have to pay 139.00 to install to another machine, your laptop for instance and if your machine fails or you upgrade to a better machine you CANNOT move your program to another machine. Also Sm Office has a Linux version and a windows version, if I was forced a gunpoint to return to Billy Boxes I would poney up the 99.00 {for me 45.00 as I am a returning customer} because I like SM better period! Who needs a Billy Box?

Actually, they changed Office's licensing not long after the initial announcement.

Microsoft Decides To Allow Transfer Of Office 2013 License To New PCs (http://thetechjournal.com/electronics/computer/software/microsoft-decides-to-allow-transfer-of-office-2013-license-to-new-pcs.xhtml)

Among these is that an Office 2013 license can be transferred to a different machine only once in 90 days and at a given time, it will be active only on a single machine.

leunam12
April 6th, 2013, 10:15 PM

Also some software do not exist for linux. Sure, there are always alternatives but when you work in an environment where most of the language is in windows software and you communicate on it I cannot spend time learning other languages because that would complicate my life and work even more.I second this, LibreOffice is no match for MS Office, but MS Office 2003 runs pretty well on wine.

Slim Odds
April 7th, 2013, 06:31 AM
I second this, LibreOffice is no match for MS Office, but MS Office 2003 runs pretty well on wine.

I would really enjoy some specific explanation of your issues, rather than vague generalities.

peyre
April 7th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I would really enjoy some specific explanation of your issues, rather than vague generalities.

I suspect what he means is that Libre doesn't have 100% compatibility with MS Office. I ran into that myself--I tried using it in the office full-time, but that didn't work out too well in the end. It's something like 95% compatible, but in an office situation that last 5% becomes a significant issue: it didn't handle all of our form data fields correctly, etc. Of course, for home use, Libre is almost overbuilt--I use it at home exclusively.

dillonboardman
April 7th, 2013, 05:47 PM
There's always going to be that one program on Windows that won't work on Linux, even when using Wine. However, I always find that there's a better alternative to it. (Except for Star Trek Online. I've never been able to get it working on Linux, and I've had to shamelessly boot into Windows just to play it)

leunam12
April 8th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry about the vague generalities, I'll play a little bit with LibreOffice since I haven't used it in a while and maybe the issues are gone, then I'll be more specific. One thing that I really like about MS Word is that you can select a line with just one click,while in Libre Office it takes dragging to select; on a long document that needs formatting, especially when you are running out of time it makes a big difference that click and drag vs just clicking. However the actual reason I stopped using Libre Office a while ago was that it was too slow and choked with a simple 250 page document. But I'll give it another try.

frank cox
April 9th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Try SoftMaker Office , it flies and it is made for Linux!

leunam12
April 9th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I just installed it and it looks very promising.

Wasprulez1990
May 19th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Things that cannot be done in Linux distros :

1.)Premium high quality gaming: Linux although housing a large no of native games it lacks developer support and games are usually of poor graphics and cannot match up to other platforms. Even Steam for ubuntu does not have high quality free games. So the only good games on ubuntu are paid games with the exception of a few games such as open arena, nexuiz etc. Microsoft's platform has a large collection of free to play demos which high quality graphics and visuals.So i really do request developers to rewrite classics such Need for Speed: Most Wanted, GTA:San Andreas etc. for Linux (of course they will be called by other names). I'd rather not use wine at all.

2.)Propreitary CADD software companies do not release their source codes and hence Linux does not have professional CADD software such as AutoCAD, CATIA etc.Although people may argue that Wine (Windows emulator) can run such windows software, in practice they have failed.

Hopefully developers start supporting these above two mentioned type of softwares and finally propreitary operating systems will be a thing of the past.

King Dude
May 19th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I'm not exactly sure what the point of this thread was.

And expect games to start flowing out when the Steam Box is released.

[EDIT]
Nevermind this reply. It transferred over when the moderator moved a thread here.

Elfy
May 19th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Wasprulez1990
May 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM
My point being that I really love the way my distro [raring ringtail] works......
I'm just dissatisfied with the games available on it....
Quake 3 Arena was damn good, when i did come to ubuntu i didn't miss it coz openarena was already there...
But I used to play a lot Need for speed: Most Wanted and I really miss it....coz in this case there is no linux counterpart...
The more important things I miss are CATIA, Autocad and a few other CADD software.....
Hopefully things will change in the future :KS
A note to the developers : I'd really like these software on linux as well:KS

prusswan
May 19th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Windows programs?

prodigy_
May 19th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Windows programs?
Depends on the program. After some tinkering Wine can run many of them surprisingly well.

Wasprulez1990
May 20th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Did a little research on the appdb WineTM database... Looks like wine is quite capable of running NFS:Most WantedTM....[platinum rating]
Starcraft II TM too runs well it claims....
Although i wont be convinced till i get a chance to run it........
However it looks like WineTM doesnt run Autocad versions after 2005....It doesn't feel good to be stuck with Autocad 2004..
That's why I request the developers to bring pure native apps which replace the above mentioned atleast to some extent...
BTW...I was very impressed with Libre Office...It's faster and less demanding on the resources than Microsoft OfficeTM....
Notice how i superscript propreitary software in this post, well I hope it will reduce one day...:guitar:

prusswan
May 20th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Depends on the program. After some tinkering Wine can run many of them surprisingly well.

Generally, it is more advantageous to run Windows natively and Linux in a VM. Last time I checked wine is still pretty fickle with a bunch of programs that only work on a particular version, or not at all.

Slim Odds
May 20th, 2013, 05:05 PM
<cut>
2.)Propreitary CADD software companies do not release their source codes and hence Linux does not have professional CADD software such as AutoCAD, CATIA etc.Although people may argue that Wine (Windows emulator) can run such windows software, in practice they have failed.

Hopefully developers start supporting these above two mentioned type of softwares and finally propreitary operating systems will be a thing of the past.
There is no technical reason that CADD software cannot be made to run under Linux.
Open Source is NOT a requirement to run under Linux.

Wasprulez1990
May 21st, 2013, 02:54 AM
Well I do understand Autocad, CATIA are not open-source:cool: but there is always a disadvantage being that others cannot develop it and the company that has rights to it may not be interested in all the PC platforms [most of the time they stick only to microsoft].....However it is true that any program written for windows should definitely run on linux....but it may not be the case....
As you can see Autocad 2013 doesn't run on linux [wine] but Autocad 2004 does.....
So there arises a need for open-source software more than we know.....:guitar:

irv
May 21st, 2013, 03:24 AM
Run the start page. But only in Windows 8. And kinda glad that Ubuntu don't have one. It takes some getting use too; switching back and forth between that and the desktop.

vexorian
May 28th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Doom the PC market to a Limbo of lack of innovation , improvement and choice.

Bill Tetzeli
May 28th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Attract major commercial software developers to create high-end multimedia editing programs or linux ports of already existing ones. If you determine professional standard programs by what the pros are using (a reasonable assumption), in the music business it's all Windows or Mac. Same with video (especially video - some colleges require their students own a Mac for film courses). In Wine the best audio program I've been able to run is Cool Edit Pro, which is miles behind the likes of Samplitude, Sound Forge, etc. Samplitude will install, but is severely crippled. Izotope Ozone will install, but you can't activate it out of demo mode. Etc., etc.

Love what Linux is. Looking forward to what it can be.

AgentZ86
May 31st, 2013, 08:52 PM
Windows can make you foam at the mouth and have convulsions or can even cause ED. Linux at best might only make you confused and light headed.

SPARTAN-118
June 2nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
[sic]

SPARTAN-118
June 2nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Attract major commercial software developers to create high-end multimedia editing programs or linux ports of already existing ones. If you determine professional standard programs by what the pros are using (a reasonable assumption), in the music business it's all Windows or Mac. Same with video (especially video - some colleges require their students own a Mac for film courses). In Wine the best audio program I've been able to run is Cool Edit Pro, which is miles behind the likes of Samplitude, Sound Forge, etc. Samplitude will install, but is severely crippled. Izotope Ozone will install, but you can't activate it out of demo mode. Etc., etc.

Love what Linux is. Looking forward to what it can be.

What about Fruity Loops Studio, or Ableton Live? I'm not into music production but from what I've seen those are the standard for audio production nowadays. Particularly if you're an independent artist, you're going to be using one of those two or both. If I ever get into that sort of thing though I'd likely just stick with Linux MultiMedia Studio (LMMS), which is basically a free version of FL Studio apparently. Also, despite the name, it's available for Windows, too.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the double post, Firefox didn't show my last one. :/

prodigy_
June 3rd, 2013, 05:21 PM
Store printer settings in registry in two different places one of which is a base64 encoded binary blob encased in XML.

Coder88
June 7th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I just been wondering what other users have found that windows is able to do that linux (more specifically ubuntu) cant do...so far the only thing i have found that i cant do anymore is gaming and a few online videos dont work sometimes also, add anything to the list that makes one better or worse than the other, such as linux being practically virus free

^^^
Sibelius 7 for composing music with notation and with video tracks. Nothing in linux matches this, not even Rosegarden. Sibelius and Finale are the two primary music composing/notation apps in the Windows world, no linux app is able to do what Sibelius does especially in terms of utilizing professional grade instrument libraries (see below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFDWBIs_4NY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvwUBNg-X8 (Avatar movie scored using Sibelius)

High end sampled instrument libraries for use with DAWs like Cubase, Pro Logic, and Sibelius: (I own these and more, but I can't use them on Linux and nothing exists comparable to even purchase to use with e.g. Rosegarden or Ardour or Reaper)
http://www.projectsam.com/Products/Feature-Products/1367
Sample song using Symphobia sample library: http://soundcloud.com/projectsam/symphobia-theywereright
Orchestral String library:
http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Strings

Slim Odds
June 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Is this thread about what the two operating systems are capable of or about what software is available for each?

Many people here can't seem to tell the difference between these two.

peyre
June 7th, 2013, 09:13 PM
... So i really do request developers to rewrite classics such Need for Speed: Most Wanted, GTA:San Andreas etc. for Linux (of course they will be called by other names). I'd rather not use wine at all.

I'm involved in a port of an old classic DOS game (does that count?) to Linux and other modern OSs, though you've probably never heard of it: Race Into Space (http://sourceforge.net/projects/raceintospace/)

BR8
July 9th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Play every commercial game for PC, unintentionally get viruses, run the current Internet Explorer, use a few internet plug-ins (primarily games), *insert insult about closed source software here*.

Of course, there are all of those things Windows can't do that Linux can, but surely posts have some character limit.

acimi66
July 13th, 2013, 07:54 PM
I will tell you one thing windows does that Linux doesn't...SUCK!! ; )

windows2003
July 13th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Windows can empty your money pocket :D it can give blue screen and you can only use it for gaming or specific software that is just written for windows!
So, your better of with a linux distro ;);)

monkeybrain2012
July 13th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Just to name two Windows features by design which Linux cannot do: enforcing DRM and having built-in backdoors that allow the NSA to spy on you. :)