PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu more popular than Debian.

HiddenWolf
November 14th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Over the last month, according to distrowatch.

*smile*

Great stuff. Not pad, for a spin-off project. :-)

TravisNewman
November 14th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Over the last month, according to distrowatch.

*smile*

Great stuff. Not pad, for a spin-off project. :-)
More popular than a lot of stuff. Everything but Fedora, Mandrake, and Suse... quite an acheivement!

oddabe19
November 14th, 2004, 07:40 PM
I noticed that a while ago... but has distrowatch been attacked or something? it seems to be down.

fng
November 14th, 2004, 07:44 PM
http://distrowatch.cz/ is still online

TravisNewman
November 14th, 2004, 08:28 PM
http://distrowatch.cz/ is still online
Ah, thanks :) I haven't been able to get it working, but cz is up fine...

HiddenWolf
November 14th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Ah, thanks :) I haven't been able to get it working, but cz is up fine...

At this rate, this sweet little set of programs is going to be a major distribution a little time from now. :-)
Would it be sweet, to have an infrastructure equal to Debian, but with an actual focus.

Who knows, perhaps we'll see Fedora fall back to second place once. *evil grin*

TravisNewman
November 15th, 2004, 12:28 AM
At this rate, this sweet little set of programs is going to be a major distribution a little time from now. :-)
Would it be sweet, to have an infrastructure equal to Debian, but with an actual focus.

Who knows, perhaps we'll see Fedora fall back to second place once. *evil grin*
Fedora is already second place isn't it? When I was ther mandrake was 1. Ah well, who cares, I just want to see Ubuntu above them both :)

HiddenWolf
November 15th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Fedora is already second place isn't it? When I was ther mandrake was 1. Ah well, who cares, I just want to see Ubuntu above them both :)

Yeah. The only thing the major distro's have over us at the moment is the attention of firms like ATI, and the support network.
The main reason why I've always stuck with Debian is their great network of mirrors. i could always get my distro in at the max of my connection.

Ofcourse, since I moved out my connection is capped at 63kb's, can't afford more for the moment.. :-S

Sensebend
November 18th, 2004, 10:55 PM
This is really quite an accomplishment, let's get it to #1 :)

TravisNewman
November 18th, 2004, 11:08 PM
This is really quite an accomplishment, let's get it to #1 :)
Good attitude! That'll probably take a while, though. Think of how long RedHat (and thus Fedora), Mandrake, and SuSE have been around. It'll take a while, but people will catch on ;)

HungSquirrel
November 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM
I noticed that a while ago... but has distrowatch been attacked or something? it seems to be down.
Their main server was undergoing an OS migration. (Apparently they almost chose Ubuntu as their new OS.)