PDA

View Full Version : Inspection coming up, got his email today

allforcarrie
June 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Remove all illegal screensavers and wall-papers
Remove all games and/or other unauthorized software.
Purge your system of all personal files that are not government related.
Identify any critical programs that are in use that may not have formal approval (other than Microsoft products), if any

sapo
June 22nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
wtf?

XDevHald
June 22nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
[/list]
Hmm, I don't think it's going to reflect as much towards us, but it is possible it might hit every e-mail. Who knows.

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
[/list]

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot?

Although I can understand why this sort of email went out. The IT guys where I work would have a fit if I ran anything other than "approved" software.

TravisNewman
June 22nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
I just think it's funny that you can run unapproved software, as LONG as its Microsoft.

jsimmons
June 22nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
I just think it's funny that you can run unapproved software, as LONG as its Microsoft.
We have the same deal, but since we're developers on a different subnet, we are admins on our own machines (I bet the rest of you guys on fed Windows boxes are jealous now - grin).

We can do whatever we want after we get the boxes from IMD, including installing "rogue" applications. In fact, I'm using Firefox right now. :)

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
We have the same deal, but since we're developers on a different subnet, we are admins on our own machines (I bet the rest of you guys on fed Windows boxes are jealous now - grin).

We can do whatever we want after we get the boxes from IMD, including installing "rogue" applications. In fact, I'm using Firefox right now. :)

A lot of 'rogue' applications get installed by users here where I work. Some are good (Firefox). Most are not ("click here to install this neat screensaver!").

I am trying, quietly, to be a bit of a F/OSS advocate here, but as I'm the low man on the totem pole of a large organization, the best I can hope for is to convince some of my coworkers to try F/OSS for themselves.

Although on the lunch break, I'm going to see if I can boot damnsmall linux on one of the computers. That'll be fun. I forgot my Hoary LiveCD at home, and I've got DSL on me almost all the time "just in case".....

jsimmons
June 22nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
A lot of 'rogue' applications get installed by users here where I work. Some are good (Firefox). Most are not ("click here to install this neat screensaver!").

I am trying, quietly, to be a bit of a F/OSS advocate here, but as I'm the low man on the totem pole of a large organization, the best I can hope for is to convince some of my coworkers to try F/OSS for themselves.

Although on the lunch break, I'm going to see if I can boot damnsmall linux on one of the computers. That'll be fun. I forgot my Hoary LiveCD at home, and I've got DSL on me almost all the time "just in case".....
I'm on a military network where users aren't allowed to install *anything*. If you want/need new software, the IT depratment has to approve it and do the actuall install. That is, unless you're talking about our little group. :)

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2005, 03:24 PM
I'm on a military network where users aren't allowed to install *anything*. If you want/need new software, the IT depratment has to approve it and do the actuall install. That is, unless you're talking about our little group. :)
See, they want control over their users...and use Microsoft. This doesn't make much sense to me.

Seems like if an organization really wanted to lock down and limit what a user was and wasn't permitted to do on their computer network, they'd move to thin clients and limit user permissions.

The downside, of course, would be that whole bunches of people would be totally non-productive if one of the servers went down....but it would certainly solve the control problem.

Isn't the US military one of the (last) big Solaris users?

poofyhairguy
June 22nd, 2005, 07:40 PM
[/list]

Time to skin Ubuntu to look like XP.