PDA

View Full Version : Suggest improvement here.

vicks
June 22nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
I made some contributions to a debate on the Linux filesystem, and to me that got me thinking about how Linux really isn't always friendly to users with little computerexperience. I think we all has thinked about this at some point, so i'm sure there should be some good ideas boiling out there. So i started this thread for people to share their thought and ideas. These changes can come in many shapes of course, in form of apps, docs. Some of such changes perhaps couldn't be done by ubuntu, but I still think it would be interesting to hear what kinds of ideas all of you have.

To me, this kind improvments are aimed at two categories of users: the ones coming from windows, and those who doesn't know much about computers at all. These will of course often overlap, but I think it is good to try to distinguish what changes are aimed at. Easing up for converts from windows, is often frowned upon as trying to clone windows, but I don't think this has to be the case. It's about coming up with sollutions that makes sense, even if you haven't used linux before (and if this means god forbid implementing an idea from MS, than thats maybe the way to go).

One idea that has already been debated is how the filesystem is organized, and the possibilities to change it (the conclusion was that it was impossible for a project like ubuntu)

One thought I have been thinking about is how x is configured. Shouldn't there be some kind of GUI for configuring xorg? I mean, when things like graphic-cards doesn't work right out of the box, eventhough quite small changes need to be made, you have to start nano xorg.config, and already there novices are lost. Maybe there already are such tools out there. In that case ubntu should investigate using them.

I invite you to add your ideas and thoghts for improving ease of use for novices.

sapo
June 22nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
I m aways posting ideas here... the last one was this one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42553

We are starting to make it ;)