PDA

View Full Version : This is so cool... (Ubuntu and wireless keyboard)

ticopelp
May 6th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I brought a brand new Logitech EX-110 wireless keyboard for my computer today. I was expecting to do some wrangling to make it run properly in Ubuntu, but prepared to take my licks in that regard.

I plug it in, and not only does it work flawlessly, but all the extra little widgets (volume buttons, media player buttons, etc.) work as well! I had completely written those little extras off!

One of the reasons I always buy the super-cheap Kensington keyboards is because I HATE having to load some crappy proprietary software to make the extra buttons work... so I just buy keyboards without any extras so I don't have to worry about it.

And this wireless keyboard works perfectly in Ubuntu!

I am such a nerd -- that totally made my day.

maniacmusician
May 6th, 2007, 02:25 AM
[writes down brand and model]. Thanks, I was considering buying a wireless keyboard myself. It's a relief to know that there's one that works so flawlessly.

johnc4510
May 6th, 2007, 02:25 AM
I also have had good luck with the Logitech LX 710 keyboard and mouse. Although on mine I have one set of keys for image manipulation that don't work. Not a problem for me. I will tell you my only complaint though, and that is that it eats batteries, but I would never switch back to a wired model.

ticopelp
May 6th, 2007, 02:34 AM
[writes down brand and model]. Thanks, I was considering buying a wireless keyboard myself. It's a relief to know that there's one that works so flawlessly.

Very glad to be of help to someone!

And yeah, I know I'll have to pay for batteries now, but I did a lot of looking around, and there just aren't that many keyboards out there that I can live with in terms of feel and functionality... I'm very fussy, and willing to pay for the batteries if it works well.

johnc4510
May 6th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Agree with you on the fussiness, same here. And like I said, I wouldn't switch back to a wired model. It's really nice to lean back in your chair, put your feet up on the desk, and have the keyboard across your lap.

henrikfromnorway
May 6th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I had the same experience with Logitech MX700 mouse and keyboard, except that the mouse buttons (back and forward) won't work.

But hey, that's not important. Seriously, I love Ubuntu 7.04. Works perfect! :D

Spike-X
May 6th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I brought a brand new Logitech EX-110 wireless keyboard for my computer today.

I have the same model (keyboard and mouse) and was very pleasantly surprised to find that they fully worked upon initial installation of Ubuntu.

Spike-X
May 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Very glad to be of help to someone!

And yeah, I know I'll have to pay for batteries now, but I did a lot of looking around, and there just aren't that many keyboards out there that I can live with in terms of feel and functionality... I'm very fussy, and willing to pay for the batteries if it works well.

That's good, because you'll be doing just that. I find that my mouse goes through a set of high-end batteries every month.

Totally worth it, though.

igknighted
May 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Just get a set of rechargable bats... one set in the charger the other in the mouse. Otherwise, some models have a docking station for the mouse to recharge it too. In fact (at least in KDE) there are apps that monitor the battery charge left in the KDE control center so you can always check.

ticopelp
May 6th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Just get a set of rechargable bats... one set in the charger the other in the mouse. Otherwise, some models have a docking station for the mouse to recharge it too. In fact (at least in KDE) there are apps that monitor the battery charge left in the KDE control center so you can always check.

Not a bad idea.

I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer that I'm using instead of the mouse that came with the keyboard, and it goes for a couple of months or so without needing a battery replacement. We'll see how the keyboard does.

PartisanEntity
May 7th, 2007, 12:00 AM
And yeah, I know I'll have to pay for batteries now

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy two sets of rechargeable batteries? Recharge one set while the other is being used and then switch, or am I missing something?

igknighted
May 7th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Not a bad idea.

I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer that I'm using instead of the mouse that came with the keyboard, and it goes for a couple of months or so without needing a battery replacement. We'll see how the keyboard does.

I change my keyboard once a year, maybe. That should get real good life. It's the mice that are the issue.

Naralas
May 13th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Never write off the extra buttons. Even if they don't work out of the box ubuntu can still read them all in. Any keyboard, I have ever had, ever, can have any key on it assigned in Linux. Anything.

Just buy whatever you want. Keyboards are one place where Linux schools Windows.

Now just for webcams, wireless, video, etc. etc...
unless you count the fact that Windows out-of-the-box (without bloatware and ugly drivers) can't run any of this stuff... then Linux always wins.

ep2011
May 13th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I was surprised at Linux's compatibility with Mice and Keyboard. I have an Wireless HP Keyboard that came with my computer and it worked, except for the Media Controls, and some others (Eject, Internet, Info, Email). I still don't know how to get it to work,but I was expecting to have to use a wired Keyboard.

Extreme Coder
May 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM
@ep2011: My multimedia keyboard had some buttons that linux detected, but for some reason didn't assign to an action. Check in the Keyboard Shortcuts in GNOME and see if they work..

Extreme Coder

p-stone
August 17th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I'm looking to replace my microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse combo because it doesn't have the range I want. It works fine from the desk and within a few feet line of sight but even on my lap below the desk it will get choppy. What I'm looking for is a keyboard/mouse combo that I can set on my coffee table and use to control the tv out on my tv. Coffee table is probably about 8 feet away from my desk and a foot down. Any ideas? I've heard that some logitech combos use 2.4GHz wireless, which should be more than adequate but I can't seem to find specs in that regard on their site or anywhere. I'd rather not go bluetooth as I don't have it in my PC and buying a dongle and a bluetooth combo set would be rather pricey. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chonnawonga
September 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I have a question: what keyboard layout are you using in your keyboard preferences? I have the seem keyboard, but whichever layout I select seems to have a few quirks.

Thanks!

Spike-X
September 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I'm looking to replace my microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse combo because it doesn't have the range I want. It works fine from the desk and within a few feet line of sight but even on my lap below the desk it will get choppy. What I'm looking for is a keyboard/mouse combo that I can set on my coffee table and use to control the tv out on my tv. Coffee table is probably about 8 feet away from my desk and a foot down. Any ideas? I've heard that some logitech combos use 2.4GHz wireless, which should be more than adequate but I can't seem to find specs in that regard on their site or anywhere. I'd rather not go bluetooth as I don't have it in my PC and buying a dongle and a bluetooth combo set would be rather pricey. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have three recommendations:

Logitech

Logitech

and Logitech.

Chonnawonga
March 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Just in case anyone's interested, Hardy Heron includes the Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 as one of its default keyboard layout options.

CJ56
March 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I would definitely put in a boost for Logitech - I've been using the S510 wireless keyboard & mouse with Ubuntu for a year now, through 6.10 to 7.10 and it's always worked like a charm.

And the S510 isn't even too pricey...

drascus
March 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM
geeze I guess I am one of the few old foggies that just has a corded key board and mouse

BDNiner
March 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I have a logitech wireless keyboard and it worked flawlessly, even the extra buttons. i am can also set the shortcuts for these buttons without any issues. In fact the batteries last a lot longer than when i used the kayboard and mouse on my windows computer. I had a lot of problems with it there, constant dropping the connection and changing batteries every month and a half or so.

Zimmer
March 28th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Just buy whatever you want. Keyboards are one place where Linux schools Windows.

Ahem, I have gone through 4 wireless desk sets in the last 4 years (mainly due to mouse scroll wheel disintegration :) )
Some (Trust desksets, ) have either gone to the Windows machine or been returned as faulty (mouse movement on them is awful).

The latest is an Advent, silver ADE -AD2 looks pretty, works ok for general use, but the 'matrix' for the key mapping is such that i cannot play ET correctly as the mapping does not allow the A & W D&W combinations to operate . This means I can go left, or right or forward, but not both..... tried moving the key definitions in the game settings, but to no avail. So, do these Logitechs everyone is raving about 'work' correctly for diagonal movement in games???
At present I cannot justify yet another keyboard and mouse to 'er indoors. But when I can,I would like to have the confidence that the one I bought could play ET again.

Ozor Mox
March 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
geeze I guess I am one of the few old foggies that just has a corded key board and mouse

Nope, me too. Bought a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set and it was fantastic when it worked, but it would keep cutting out and forcing me to reconnect every 5 minutes so I sent it back. Since then I've been using the standard Dell keyboard that came with my computer, and a 5 quid optical mouse and had no problems! :)

xpod
March 28th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I currently have an el cheapo Mikomi wireless keyboard & mouse on my main pc here while 2 others have even cheaper Labtec ones.
They all work just fine in Ubuntu although i had to install Keytouch for the function keys in Xubuntu.

With 3 of the things in use around the house the battery charger was a must:)

At present I cannot justify yet another keyboard and mouse to 'er indoors.

Just do what i did...complain about the excess wires long enough so that she suggests getting the wireless set.:)

Zimmer
March 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I
Just do what i did...complain about the excess wires long enough so that she suggests getting the wireless set.:)
Sorry, can't do that , already wireless on the 2 computers and into the 4th wireless set :)

Spike-X
March 29th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Did you take the horse and cart down to the trading post to pick it up?

Zimmer
March 30th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Yes , and he bartered his old curtains instead of cash (doesn't need curtains anymore...no Windows... boom boom)

I'll get my coat.......

23meg
April 28th, 2008, 01:29 AM
A hint for S510 users: if you think the mouse is too heavy, try removing one of the batteries. It works just fine with a single AA battery.

ophion
April 28th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Unless these keyboards have changed a great deal in the last few years, you are broadcasting everything you type in the clear (passwords, banking information, everything) over a sometimes shocking distance.

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 01:59 AM
no offense, but it's funny how alot of folks boast that one of the reasons why they switched to linux is because of security yet those same people use wireless keyboards. these devices, just like any other wireless device can be sniffed and cracked. just a head's up for those that didn't know and actually do care about security.

Flyingjester
April 28th, 2008, 02:17 AM
no offense, but it's funny how alot of folks boast that one of the reasons why they switched to linux is because of security yet those same people use wireless keyboards. these devices, just like any other wireless device can be sniffed and cracked. just a head's up for those that didn't know and actually do care about security.

... can you say paranoid?

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 02:19 AM
...can you say boo hoo?

it's a head's up for those that don't know.

Flyingjester
April 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM
dude... in all seriousness what's the range on most wireless keyboards?

dasunst3r
April 28th, 2008, 02:25 AM
For those of you who use a wireless keyboard, I would either suggest getting yourselves rechargeable batteries (I recommend the Sanyo Eneloop) or the Energizer e^2 lithium batteries.

aaaantoine
April 28th, 2008, 02:27 AM
My laptop's extra keyboard features all just about work. Only a few do not, but they relate directly to Acer software. But fundamentals like volume control, media center controls, browser, email all work, along with a few others (OS help, suspend, a system info button).

I wonder if there is some standard signal these buttons each send so that specific drivers do not need to be written for each input device.

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 02:32 AM
dude... in all seriousness what's the range on most wireless keyboards?

there's been proof of concept of sniffing at 10 meters. look it up yourself.

Flyingjester
April 28th, 2008, 02:37 AM
oh no i believe that... so about 30 feet... they'd have to be standing outside your house.. not hard to track a hacker that close... oh crap! the guy is in the bushes... and he has a laptop!

23meg
April 28th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Bluetooth variants tend to use encryption, which I assume is 128-bit and tough to break.

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 03:33 AM
oh no i believe that... so about 30 feet... they'd have to be standing outside your house.. not hard to track a hacker that close... oh crap! the guy is in the bushes... and he has a laptop!

not everyone lives in a house. i know you find that hard to believe but it's true. go get some sleep, sunshine.

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Bluetooth variants tend to use encryption, which I assume is 128-bit and tough to break.

BT isn't without its share of holes, but it's certainly a step up, yes.

Flyingjester
April 28th, 2008, 03:55 AM
awww.. that's cute.. you called me sunshine... i love you too *hugs* it's a shame you're as cynical as i am huh? Now... are you actually going to argue the point or what? 10 meters is not that far, as i'm sure you are aware. now, even in an apartment building the walls generally are at least 10 feet apart correct? so, that leaves at maximum 20 feet past that, now, most radio frequencies have trouble travelling through walls, especially since they have such a low powered transmitter in them. so.. as stated before, they are either right outside, or your neighbors.. so if something funny happens, you know where to go correct?

Also, most wireless keyboards even if they are RF are encrypted. So, to attain any useful information whatsoever they at least need to break the frequency right? so again... either right outside, and in an apartment, it shouldn't be too hard to tell, unless you are totally oblivious to the outside world, or your neighbors, and lets face it, most people do not have the technical know how, to sniff a transmitter out, let alone put it to use for them. As far as a hacking device goes, they are better off cracking your firewall.

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 09:25 AM
awww.. that's cute.. you called me sunshine... i love you too *hugs* it's a shame you're as cynical as i am huh? Now... are you actually going to argue the point or what? 10 meters is not that far, as i'm sure you are aware. now, even in an apartment building the walls generally are at least 10 feet apart correct? so, that leaves at maximum 20 feet past that, now, most radio frequencies have trouble travelling through walls, especially since they have such a low powered transmitter in them. so.. as stated before, they are either right outside, or your neighbors.. so if something funny happens, you know where to go correct?

Also, most wireless keyboards even if they are RF are encrypted. So, to attain any useful information whatsoever they at least need to break the frequency right? so again... either right outside, and in an apartment, it shouldn't be too hard to tell, unless you are totally oblivious to the outside world, or your neighbors, and lets face it, most people do not have the technical know how, to sniff a transmitter out, let alone put it to use for them. As far as a hacking device goes, they are better off cracking your firewall.

walls 10 apart in an apartment complex? lol. seems you've never lived in an apartment before. people can be on the other side of your wall.

you "know where to go" if something funny happens? 1) you wouldn't find out for a while. 2) why risk the hassle.

and of course most people don't have the technical know how. thanks for pointing that out, captain obvious. again, my post was a "head's up". you can keep burying your head in the ground and i'll keep being "paranoid". rofl.

Flyingjester
April 28th, 2008, 11:40 AM
living in one now, thank you very little, actually i've lived in quite the managerie of places. Now, let me get this straight, what exactly are you proposing these people are doing, interpreting your keystrokes as you're typing them? yes, why risk the hassle?... i'm sorry if you think that the odds that in a 10 meter range you have someone schooled in radio engineering, with a reciever and transmitter, and decoding equipment, is much too high for your to use a wireless keyboard... yes, i think you're paranoid. the chance that someone has all the right equipment to do that, and actually knows how to do it, in a 10 metre range, are so slim, that you're more likely to tell your ip address and passwords to someone.

honestly.. how much do YOU even know about it? or is this just some junk you read on a website and want to spread it to people?

SuperSon!c
April 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
i do information security for a living and that exploit is very well documented. i don't need to explain anything to you more than i have. i'm not here to convince the likes of you.

Flyingjester
April 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM
ah.. i always wanted to have someone say that to me... "the likes of you." ..makes me feel special.. like I have my own category.

23meg
April 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Whether you should be paranoid or not should depend on your particular situation.

If, say, you use the device full time within a cubicle (zero surrounding visibility, high-risk environment, constant exposure), you probably have something to be paranoid about. If you use it sporadically in a well secured, isolated house where you are aware and have control of the surroundings, you have little or nothing to. While it's theoretically undeniable that there is a risk of being sniffed, security professionals should know that realistic risk assessment per situation is an important part of the job.