PDA

View Full Version : Does comunity CoC applies only to Ubuntu related?

racoq
May 5th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'm starting this topic because i want the opinion of you all. I was in the PTnet IRC channel #ubuntu, helping users, when a user entred the room, and asked if anyone Knew Flash. The reply from that op was that, he only helps in Ubuntu. We started to discuss, i saying that may be a bad call, because, a small topic like that, if we knew (and apparently that user could know flash), we could answer because, we have to be polite to users, and help them and at the same time show them as ubuntu can really be good and not proprietary, and respect the Ubuntu code of conduct.

I mean at the same time help them and convince them to try Ubuntu. I was banned by this op, who accused me having a lack of intelligence, and no formation at all. The operator was a guy named kovalsky.

So i wonder, i see in this forum plenty of people helping out, giving their time, and some times helping in another applications (even proprietary) than ubuntu. I expressed my opinion and was violent attacked by this operator.

So i'm asking in this thread if we should only restrict ourselfs to ubuntu, or giving small topics/helping in another applications even it they are proprietary is ok for you guys?

jfinkels
May 5th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I'm starting this topic because i want the opinion of you all. I was in the PTnet IRC channel #ubuntu, helping users, when a user entred the room, and asked if anyone Knew Flash. The reply from that op was that, he only helps in Ubuntu. We started to discuss, i saying that may be a bad call, because, a small topic like that, if we knew (and apparently that user could know flash), we could answer because, we have to be polite to users, and help them and at the same time show them as ubuntu can really be good and not proprietary, and respect the Ubuntu code of conduct.

I mean at the same time help them and convince them to try Ubuntu. I was banned by this op, who accused me having a lack of intelligence, and no formation at all. The operator was a guy named kovalsky.

So i wonder, i see in this forum plenty of people helping out, giving their time, and some times helping in another applications (even proprietary) than ubuntu. I expressed my opinion and was violent attacked by this operator.

So i'm asking in this thread if we should only restrict ourselfs to ubuntu, or giving small topics/helping in another applications even it they are proprietary is ok for you guys?

Gandhi says, "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind."

We're on this planet to help each other. We should do what we can for others.

However, people don't like when you tell them what to do, so be careful with that :D

racoq
May 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Gandhi says, "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind."

We're on this planet to help each other. We should do what we can for others.

However, people don't like when you tell them what to do, so be careful with that :D

Maybe you are right, but just expressed my opinion, in an constructive way. This happened in the official #ubuntu forum of PTnet, by an OP. The ubuntu CoC (code of conduct), isn't a way of living, and helping people, independent if they use proprietary software in linux? Or is just for people saying, ok i respect only the ubuntu CoC in Ubuntu, if u use flash to program go away? Is this right? I really don't think this way, since we discuss many about proprietary and non proprietary applications in the forum.

That 's why your opinions, in this subject would be very appreciated.