PDA

View Full Version : Big, round transparent logo stickers - 700/1000 stickers remaining, accepting orders!

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hey there, forumlings. Have a good look at this picture: http://flickr.com/photos/menza/190241486/

See the big round thing on the right? I was thinking of getting 200 of these made. It seems, however, that they would cost a dollar each, plus a dollar shipping for up to a few of them. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I will be getting 1000, and due to the low margin, have to sell all of them to break even. I now accept orders, the larger, the better.

The final prices, including shipping, will be:
1 piece... $3 ($3 apiece)
2 pieces... $4 ($2 apiece)
3 pieces... $5 ($1.66 apiece)
5 pieces... $7 ($1.40 apiece)
10 pieces... $10 ($1 apiece)
25 pieces... $20 ($0.80 apiece)
50 pieces... $35 ($0.70 apiece)
100 pieces... $60 ($0.60 apiece)
Please note that the prices from 1-5 pieces have a positive margin (ie. I make a small profit), the prices for 10-25 have a near-zero margin (no profit made) and the prices of packs above 50 have a negative margin (they cost me more than I ask for them). Because of this, donations of a few extra $ are very, very welcome :)

Adamant1988
May 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I think I would buy some, maybe 2 or 3 :)

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM
wow you're quick :)

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM
A few notes:
They aren't actually transparent, they are made of 6 separate pieces that are stuck carefully from a carrying foil to hold the shape right. This makes their production rather difficult, and thus more expensive than regular stickers.

I also ask about the $0.50 variant because the price might _approach_ that if I get 1000 of them.

lepz
May 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM
What do you say to a big, round transparent logo sticker?

I wouldn't say anything, my mummy told me not to speak to strangers. \\:D/

dada1958
May 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I might prefer another logo:)

Tundro Walker
May 6th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I think I would say "I'm sorry, but I just don't put out on the first date, you Cad!"

Seriously, if the stickers were with different Ubuntu "circle of friends" themes, like *cough* hello kitty (http://www.chipx86.com/blog/?p=189)...I'd probably buy them in a heart-beat.

macogw
May 6th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I want one. It'd be a good thing for like a car window...but I don't have a car to put it on so..uh anyway, I'm sure I have some random thing on which to stick it. I have the big Ubuntu stickers on my laptop and a binder for Japanese class.....I'm sure I can find a spot.

Tux Aubrey
May 6th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Yes please! I love stickers. While you are at it, can you make up sets of little tux stickers to go on the "windows" keys on my keyboard? I have just totally defenestrated a laptop and that was the hardest bit. And an iron-on tattoo, and a cryptic ubuntu bumper sticker would also be good. Go for it jenda!

ronocdh
May 6th, 2007, 03:13 AM
This is an awesome idea. I voted for the laptop lid choice, but that's just so people know the application! If we're running low on participation (not likely!), I would certainly buy a dozen. ;)

ihatethedekoys
May 6th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Yes please! I love stickers. While you are at it, can you make up sets of little tux stickers to go on the "windows" keys on my keyboard? I have just totally defenestrated a laptop and that was the hardest bit. And an iron-on tattoo, and a cryptic ubuntu bumper sticker would also be good. Go for it jenda!

The windows key sticker is a great idea! I filed the windows logo off my keyboard, but the keys still look bare :|

I would also buy a couple of these, depends though:
When you say "paper" are they actually paper, or is it sticker material, like a sticker I would buy at a store, glossy and what-have-you.

Jenda
May 6th, 2007, 07:24 AM
While you are at it, can you make up sets of little tux stickers to go on the "windows" keys on my keyboard? I have just totally defenestrated a laptop and that was the hardest bit. And an iron-on tattoo, and a cryptic ubuntu bumper sticker would also be good. Go for it jenda!

I'm sorry, I only go for Ubuntu - there is TONS of Tux stuff out there. I have little black Ubuntu stickers orginally made just for that purpose, although I use them to mark all outgoing shipments now.
BTW, I totally love your use of the word "defenestration". I live in Prague (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestration ) - I have a bond with defenestrations :)
I've been thinking about iron-ons for shirts, but didn't get much further than that thinking ;)

Seriously, if the stickers were with different Ubuntu "circle of friends" themes, like *cough* hello kitty (http://www.chipx86.com/blog/?p=189)...I'd probably buy them in a heart-beat.

I don't go for stuff like that. For one thing, it violates the trademark policy, and for another, it just destroys Ubuntu's branding. Besides, sticking that in places does _nothing_ to promote Ubuntu.

This is an awesome idea. I voted for the laptop lid choice, but that's just so people know the application! If we're running low on participation (not likely!), I would certainly buy a dozen. ;)
Thanks ;) (Low participation is always an issue, as I always have to buy a lot more than people ask for to knock the per-piece price down.

I would also buy a couple of these, depends though:
When you say "paper" are they actually paper, or is it sticker material, like a sticker I would buy at a store, glossy and what-have-you.
The base material is paper, but it would be laminated, which means there's a thin layer of plastic on top, which can protect the color from rubbing away for centuries ;)

Tux Aubrey
May 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Hey Jenda - The Prague Defenestration is a great inspiration. I've seen the word used to describe the purging of MS and I think it fits so nicely. My take on it is attached.

ssam
May 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
that looks like it might go around the back of the apple logo on my titanium powerbook quite well.

is the diameter of the hole in the middle more that 6cm?

if yes then i am very interested

jkblacker
May 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'd like one to go round the Dell logo on my laptop; is the transparent layer on top over the middle as well, or just over the actual logo? The dell logo is recessed and would look a little weird with a layer of plastic hovering over it!

STREETURCHINE
May 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
i voted for a dozen but that could increase to around 50 or so

Jenda
May 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Hey Jenda - The Prague Defenestration is a great inspiration. I've seen the word used to describe the purging of MS and I think it fits so nicely. My take on it is attached.

Beautiful :D

that looks like it might go around the back of the apple logo on my titanium powerbook quite well.
is the diameter of the hole in the middle more that 6cm?
if yes then i am very interested

Unfortunately, the hole on the ones I currently have is 4.5 cm . I'm not sure about the new batch, but it will likely be similar.

I'd like one to go round the Dell logo on my laptop; is the transparent layer on top over the middle as well, or just over the actual logo? The dell logo is recessed and would look a little weird with a layer of plastic hovering over it!

There is no plastic - it's 6 separate pieces, which are carefully applied from a 'carrying' decal.

i voted for a dozen but that could increase to around 50 or so

That's awesome ;)

It now looks very likely that these will be made.

jkblacker
May 7th, 2007, 11:41 AM
There is no plastic - it's 6 separate pieces, which are carefully applied from a 'carrying' decal.

Ah, my misunderstanding! Now I'm even more tempted!

Tux Aubrey
May 10th, 2007, 12:11 PM
What is your decision on the laptop logos, oh sticker king?

And instead of a Tux key, how about an Ubuntu one?

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/167727/1_Ubuntukey.png

Jenda
May 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM
The decision is I'll make them, as soon as I have time.

Ubuntu key... hard to do.

pixeldotz
May 21st, 2007, 11:03 PM
i'd get a few 50 variety. for my lappy and for boxes i put ubuntu on.

i've converted a few techies @ work to ubuntu and they always ask about labels.

Jenda
May 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Good news everyone!!!

The stickers will be printed on a plastic foil of sorts, which means that they are both very durable/waterproof AND that they look great from the other side too... so they can be put on glass!

The price isn't decided yet, but assuming I get 500, it shouldn't be too much. They are a lot of work to create, though.

Ebuntor
May 25th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Will these stickers be like car stickers where the front side will be stiky? Or will they just be regular semi-transpaerent stickers with sticky backsides?

zed_at_uw
May 25th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Gimme those stickers....
Yummie, I want the whole world to know what Ubuntu fan I am.

Keep us posted, I'll probably grab a few dozen

Zed

Jenda
May 25th, 2007, 11:41 AM
zed, great :)

Erwin, both! They are regular stickers, but can also be stuck on glass... well, if you don't mind that the logo will be mirror-imaged... hell, with a bit of work, you could just rearrange the pieces to make it right :)

Jenda
May 25th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Oh, by the way - I have 23 of the old paper ones left. They aren't as good quality as these are will be, but they are ready and available ;) They don't go on glass, though - just laptop lids and the like.

Jenda
June 5th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Weeell, it seems I'll only be able to reach a reasonable price if I get 1000 made. That means I'll very likely bump up the price for lower numbers and sell at a loss at 100 pieces+

zed_at_uw
June 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Jenda,

What price range are talking about ?

Serge

Jenda
June 8th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Very likely from $0.5 - $2 (extreme cases). If you were to get just one piece, it likely would cost you $3, because for one thing, it's a lot of work for me to ship 1000 stickers individually, so I discourage it and for another thing, half the price would go for shipping and packaging.

I forsee the price chart at something like this:
1... $3
2... $5
3... $6
5... $8
10...$12
50...$50
100...$90
1000... $700 (doesn't look likely that anyone would buy this ;))

stefaan.dutry
June 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Sorry Jenda,

I like the idea of the stickers, but i don't like the idea paying more for a sticker than for an operating system.

zed_at_uw
June 8th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Very likely from $0.5 - $2 (extreme cases). If you were to get just one piece, it likely would cost you $3, because for one thing, it's a lot of work for me to ship 1000 stickers individually, so I discourage it and for another thing, half the price would go for shipping and packaging.

I forsee the price chart at something like this:
1... $3
2... $5
3... $6
5... $8
10...$12
50...$50
100...$90
1000... $700 (doesn't look likely that anyone would buy this ;))

Well Jenda,

You can sign me up for 50.

I like the idea of the stickers, but i don't like the idea paying more for a sticker than for an operating system.

Stefaan, for me it's a case of being proud of my choice of OS. + i want to bug the hell out of my office colleagues. (I am the only one working on a Linux OS) :lolflag:

Jenda
June 8th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Wow, zed - that's great! :)

Jenda
June 11th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Hmm... it looks like having them done like the sample I got would be way too expensive :/. I'll get another sample soon, to compare the qualities.

Jenda
June 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
OK final price set. Now i'm just waiting for the second sample to reach me and then it's a deal.

The final prices, including shipping, will be:
1 piece... $3 ($3 apiece)
2 pieces... $4 ($2 apiece)
3 pieces... $5 ($1.66 apiece)
5 pieces... $7 ($1.40 apiece)
10 pieces... $10 ($1 apiece)
25 pieces... $20 ($0.80 apiece)
50 pieces... $35 ($0.70 apiece)
100 pieces... $60 ($0.60 apiece)
Please note that the prices from 1-5 pieces have a positive margin (ie. I make a small profit), the prices for 10-25 have a near-zero margin (no profit made) and the prices of packs above 50 have a negative margin (they cost me more than I ask for them). Because of this, donations of a few extra $ are very, very welcome :)

PartisanEntity
June 22nd, 2007, 09:48 AM
Jenda,

I think for the last three you mean $0.80, $0.70 and $0.60 :)

Jenda
June 22nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
fixed :)

Jenda
June 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM
SAMPLES ARE IN!

Yep, it looks great :) It's a little lower in quality than the first sample, to make it affordable, but it still looks like it should last a lifetime, and has color on both sides so will stick to glass very nicely.

So, from this point, I'm accepting orders!

I will order 1000 pieces, which will cost me about $600. That means I need to sell nearly all of them to cover the expenses, so please order, order, order, and donate :)

Jenda
June 25th, 2007, 06:32 PM
And a quick thought on why I sell big packs at a loss... best shown on examples.
When somebody orders a pack of 200 stickers, it means the total amount of stickers bought can be higher by 200. For example, that person increases the entire batch from 800 to 1000, assuming 800 will be sold to other people.
If I wanted to buy just 800, it would likely cost $550. 1000 stickers cost me $600.
So I can either turn down this person who wants to buy 200 stickers for $110, because they cost me $120, and buy only 800 stickers. Or I can take his order, and buy 1000.
If I turn them down, I'll have 800 stickers and be $550 in the red. If I take it, i'll also have 800 stickers, but only be $500 in the red, because I paid $600 for the stickers and got $100 from the guy who got 200.
This way, he saved me $50 by buying stickers I lose money on :) It's a win-win.

kprowell
June 25th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'd like 10 please. How do I go about getting them?

@trophy
June 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Sign me up for 3 and let me know how I can pay you for them.

Jenda
June 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Please send in orders by email :)
I'll try getting to them ASAP, but it could take me over a week, as I'm rather busy now.
On the other hand, there's no hurry on the payments.

Jenda
June 26th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Order placed, stickers coming in :)
300 stickers have already been pre-ordered by LoCo teams.

Jenda
June 26th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Bad news: it'll take 3 weeks to get them done. They are apparently quite difficult to put together.

Fenryr
June 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Hmmm...My laptop already HAS graphics...A nice border of '50's style flames, and a 3-D style cutout of raptor toenails slicin' their way out the back...My external DVD writer has a nice 'Jolly Roger' on it, and next to my keyboard is a nice red warning label that says 'DISARM before servicing!'....What I REALLY need are some dummy USB/Ethernet plugs with some cool 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' ribbons attached...*g*

Jenda
June 27th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Nope. What you need is an Ubuntu logo sticker on your binder... or locker... or office window... ツ

meshback
August 14th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Bad news: it'll take 3 weeks to get them done. They are apparently quite difficult to put together.

Any news on these stickers, Jenda? Did they ever come in or are they shipping yet? :confused:

technikalKP
August 17th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Any news on these stickers, Jenda? Did they ever come in or are they shipping yet? :confused:

I'm curious, too. I'm going to be moving in a couple of weeks and if they're not in the process of being shipped, I need to update my shipping address.

happy-and-lost
August 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM
What's the diameter? I've been after a Ubuntu logo sticker to fit around my Dell logos for ages!

Jenda
August 17th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Hello, folks. I'm sorry it's taking so long - although I've been extremely busy these past months, and have a lot of debts towards several trusting community members, this particular one isn't my fault.
The printer still hasn't sent them in. Last time I spoke to the guy, he said he was waiting to see if I liked the sample he sent/if it's in good enough quality (O_o). I'll post again when I start shipping them out.
One more huge apology to those who are waiting :(

The inner diameter is 44 mm.

meshback
December 14th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Whatever happened with these stickers? I placed an order at least a good 6 months ago and never heard anything after that. Is anyone else going to take up the sticker project or is it dead in the water?