PDA

View Full Version : just like an older brother..

fuscia
May 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
which open source app has always been with you? we all go through mad, passionate love affairs with various apps and then we hate each other, all of a sudden (this time, btw, it's real between me, kde and mplayer. i've never been this happy). ok, so mine is gimp. i dumped photoshop for gimp. gimp has always struck me as a bunch of options i can combine to do anything, rather than a series of nice tricks (mplayer appeals to me for that same reason, even though i have no @#$%ing clue what i'm doing with it). what's yours?

%hMa@?b<C
May 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM
me and imagemagick have always been tight :)
converting from raw to jpg is necessacary for my camera.

drfalkor
May 5th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Firefox ( Open source right ? )

yabbadabbadont
May 5th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Fluxbox and Xine

Avarweth
May 5th, 2007, 01:14 AM
It's probably not as sexy as other choices, but I have to ditto Firefox. I have a love/hate relationship with Thunderbird.

Tux Aubrey
May 5th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Firefox, Thunderbird, The GIMP and me go way back to the bad ole windows days - like before the beginning of last year even. I don't know how we survived the rough and tumble of that nightmare and are still friends. We lost a lot of other good friends in the chaos of the Linux Diaspora but I guess we are better people and closer now for the experience. Ahh, memories. I think we'll grow old together and have lots of stories to tell our grandkids while we sip julips and eat mangos on the porch. Of course, explaining to them that we once used a proprietary operating system will be difficult, but we'll 'fess up and put it down to market forces and the tide of history.

Balazs_noob
May 5th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Rhythmbox :))

the best audio player i ever used :))
( a lot better then winamp )
i'm fresh from windows so you can forgive me ;)

maniacmusician
May 5th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I have to say I don't really have one. If I had to pick, I'd probably say Amarok, as that's the closest thing to it.

karellen
May 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM
gaim and evolution

prizrak
May 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Gaim and Firefox for me.

agurk
May 5th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Firefox and VLC here.

STREETURCHINE
May 6th, 2007, 12:26 AM
gaim ,firefox,and thunderbird here also

jfinkels
May 6th, 2007, 01:10 AM
aptitude :D

slimdog360
May 6th, 2007, 01:40 AM
its currently scilab, far from the relationshiop I have with my older brother, but I get what you mean.

thesmartace
May 6th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org). I was introduced to it a few years back and we have been inseparable since then :)

obrient
May 6th, 2007, 02:23 AM
apt - Fixes all my problems and no dependency hell :)
Amarok - The best player I have used YTD.

blackspyder
May 6th, 2007, 02:24 AM
GIMP most deffinately

tbroderick
May 6th, 2007, 02:28 AM
mc. I might not use it all the time (most times bash will do just fine), but it's the only file manager I will use.

woodgdo1
May 6th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Old-school emacs/xemacs was my favorite editor, and sort of still is. Now I would say Openoffice,org is my favorite MS killer.

AnRa
May 6th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Firefox since it was Phoenix 0.1 "Pescadero" and GIMP since 1.0 :)