PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding small touchscreen LCD

tehbeermang
May 4th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I'm trying to figure out if I should build a table radio/DVD player/digital picture frame with a Mini-ITX board. DVD playback gets re-directed to the S-Video or Composite video output (depending on the board).

What I have:

* 3 old computer cases. Plenty of steel to recycle into a custom chassis/lcd mount.

* Labtec speakers, $19 from Best Buy several years ago. They'll get disassembled/reassembled into the case, make it self-contained. The goal is aesthetics, not waking the neighbors.

What I know I can get:
* Mini-ITX board with processor and ram. Most have S-video/VGA/USB/Audio/etc. built in. The goal is compact.
* Power supply
* A smallish hard drive or maybe a USB pendrive.
* A DVD Rom drive.
* Hardwood/stain/poly, make it something my wife won't want to hide behind a houseplant.
* Metal mesh for cooling ports.
* LEDs for status.
* USB wifi
* Linux

What I can't find:
* A very small LCD display with a touchscreen. Since they're incorporated into car audio products that cost less than US$300, I'm sure it's possible to find just the screen for under $200. I'm just not succeeding.

Any Ideas?

DoctorMO
May 5th, 2007, 01:04 AM
You won't find one, not unless you know a place near by that makes them and that's rare. no the best way is to find an lcd someone is throwing away or convert an lcd into a touch screen, there are multiple guides online.

strikeback03
May 5th, 2007, 03:23 AM
how small? check out the car computer sites, there used to be one at www.mp3car.com. IIRC there is a Chinese company called Liliput or something similar that people often use.

also, I read somewhere about a SATA to CompactFlash adaptor that allows you to connect a CF card as a hard drive.

tehbeermang
May 5th, 2007, 03:48 AM
the best way is to find an lcd someone is throwing away or convert an lcd into a touch screen, there are multiple guides online.
I'll hit up google.

how small? check out the car computer sites, there used to be one at www.mp3car.com. IIRC there is a Chinese company called Liliput or something similar that people often use. I haven't been to that site in ages. I had an urge to build a carputer when my old deck got stolen, but I didn't have the time. I'll check it out.

also, I read somewhere about a SATA to CompactFlash adaptor that allows you to connect a CF card as a hard drive.That sounds pretty cool.

Thanks!

Chilli Bob
May 5th, 2007, 10:06 AM
OK, go to the Damn Small Linux site.....

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

... and scroll down for the link to the "Mini ITX store", where there is heaps of great stuff, including a $199 touch screen.

hawk88
May 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM
A friend of me has 3 old Cash registers withc have an touchscreen, i don't know where he got them but i know it didn't cost him much. Maybe you can search for something like that.

tehbeermang
May 5th, 2007, 11:51 PM
OK, go to the Damn Small Linux site.....

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

... and scroll down for the link to the "Mini ITX store", where there is heaps of great stuff, including a $199 touch screen. I forgot about their store!

The other thought was buying an old TV from a thrift store and installing a miniITX board into it. Most anything produced in the last 20 years has RCA-type a/v jacks. Just disable/tap into a set from the back and we're in business with sound and video. Still no touchscreen, but it's better than having a big ugly box in my living room that my wife wants to hide.

Omnios
May 6th, 2007, 12:00 AM
There is a few touch screen add ons available. Most of them are a clear screen that goes over the lcd. Not shure if you will find a small one though,