PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu: Too Good to be True? - yet another (positive) review

karellen
May 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/05/ubuntu_review.html
and they keep coming these days...:)

I really liked the article

aysiu
May 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Interesting quotations:
Though its name may sound odd initially, there's nothing odd about the way Ubuntu works. It is fast, lean and responsive, like a sleek jungle cat prowling through the South Africa outback.
Ubuntu uses GNOME, a graphic interface that looks so much like Windows that Bill Gates should be, and probably is, angry. For once someone has copied Microsoft instead of the other way around.

arkangel
May 4th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I like this one :

Today, Linux and other UNIX systems power most of the Web servers that keep the Internet running. And there's really no reason they don't power the world's desktops and laptops, except that Microsoft has sold the world on the notion that you have to pay for software, then pay some more to keep it updated.

Cheese Sandwich
May 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Interesting quotations:

Ubuntu uses GNOME, a graphic interface that looks so much like Windows that Bill Gates should be, and probably is, angry. For once someone has copied Microsoft instead of the other way around.

:lol:

sloggerkhan
May 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
It is a pretty strong endorsement of Ubuntu, lol... I sorta disgree with the second quote there, about Bill being angry (not that I don't think he's angry, he probably is 'cause he knows windows is doomed). Guess I don't really see GNOME as too windows-like. In any case a fun read for an Ubuntu review.

prizrak
May 4th, 2007, 11:03 PM
It is a pretty strong endorsement of Ubuntu, lol... I sorta disgree with the second quote there, about Bill being angry (not that I don't think he's angry, he probably is 'cause he knows windows is doomed). Guess I don't really see GNOME as too windows-like. In any case a fun read for an Ubuntu review.

Somehow I doubt Bill gives a damn ;)

jfinkels
May 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Somehow I doubt Bill gives a damn ;)

lol

juxtaposed
May 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
No longer. Ubuntu uses GNOME, a graphic interface that looks so much like Windows that Bill Gates should be, and probably is, angry. For once someone has copied Microsoft instead of the other way around.

Theres not many options for making GUIs. Sure, you could put the minimize/maximize/X buttons below the window or something, but that's not to practical.

Other then that, good article.

dspari1
May 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks, it was a good read.

steven8
May 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM
What a GREAT article!!

Best of all, Ubuntu is fun. Not to make shocking age-related disclosures but I've been working with information technology in one form or another since 1960 or so, everything from home-built ham radio gear to PDP8 mini-computers the size of refrigerators (no ice-maker though). The first 20 years or so were fun but then Microsoft took over and dispatched the Information Police to watch over every move we make, which somehow made it all sort of dreary and totalitarian.

It's nice to be out from under the Man's thumb. It makes the whole thing fun again. Ubuntu is like having an old Alfa Romeo instead of a Toyota. If you feel like it, you can pop the hood and get your hands dirty, knowing it will still run like hell when you're done.

tehkain
May 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Theres not many options for making GUIs. Sure, you could put the minimize/maximize/X buttons below the window or something, but that's not to practical.

Other then that, good article.

yea its like saying windows 3.1 stole the Xerox interface...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://escience.anu.edu.au/lecture/cg/Import/GUI_Timeline/thumbnt351.gif&imgrefurl=http://escience.anu.edu.au/lecture/cg/Import/GUI_Timeline/&h=240&w=320&sz=8&hl=en&start=9&sig2=aNdJn-BzjqWJ3aJvlTghfQ&um=1&tbnid=6KkzroYUlWbLdM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&ei=qHI8Rp6XKKK2hQSYgMW2Aw&prev=/images%3Fq%3DXerox%2Binterface%2B3.1%26svnum%3D10% 26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG