PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu is now the bane of my life

jkblacker
May 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
First off, I've brought this all on myself.
I was eager and keen. I wanted to see what all the fuss was. I used the livecd and loved it. I spent a little while (but only a little while, of course) setting up a dual boot (cleaning up my hdd in windows took the longest) and now...

...now I'm screwed. I have exams next week. And yet I'm addicted to Ubuntu! I can't stop tinkering, reading over the forums here to learn as much as I can, figuring out the differences between xp and Ubuntu and how to do what I want in this better OS.

Is there an Ubuntu users anonymous service anywhere?!

jfinkels
May 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM
First off, I've brought this all on myself.
I was eager and keen. I wanted to see what all the fuss was. I used the livecd and loved it. I spent a little while (but only a little while, of course) setting up a dual boot (cleaning up my hdd in windows took the longest) and now...

...now I'm screwed. I have exams next week. And yet I'm addicted to Ubuntu! I can't stop tinkering, reading over the forums here to learn as much as I can, figuring out the differences between xp and Ubuntu and how to do what I want in this better OS.

jkblacker, you've found that service. Fear not, for you are among friends.

:D

racoq
May 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Ha ha ha... Join the club ;) :lolflag:

starcraft.man
May 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM

LOL.

Hold on now, I want to get this right... your finding yourself addicted to Ubuntu and your asking THE Ubuntu Forums to stop you from messing around? Thats gotta be the funniest thing ever, everyone else is trying to get our help and you want us to stop :p

Can I make a suggestion? Volunteer for a forum ban :p Quick, easy and painful solution... just remember to tell them the date to unblock you :D

Hendrixski
May 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
...now I'm screwed. I have exams next week. And yet I'm addicted to Ubuntu!

Look on the bright side. At least you're not addicted to something worse. Like drugs, video games, prostitutes, or gambling.

This is also not a problem depending on what you're studying. If you're a lib art major, you can wing it. If you're an engineer .. umm.. if you're an engineer then why the hell are you reading my reply get your nose back in that book and start start studying before that exam tears you a new one.

ThinkBuntu
May 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
What you're referring to is the thrill of (a) more free software and other stuff than you can handle, and (b) complete customizability. If you were to join such a support group, it wouldn't be Ubuntu anonymous, it would be Linux anonymous :^)

jkblacker
May 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I couldn't cope with a forum ban - I'm not ready to go cold turkey!

And I suppose by a 'worse addiction' you surely mean one that's not only damaging but also expensive? At least this is free, I suppose!

Thanks for the replies, guys; it's nice to know there are others like me!

jvc26
May 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
lol another addict here alas, but have brought mine under control with a fair bit of work ;) the degree began to have to take over...
Il

juxtaposed
May 4th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I expected this thread to be someone who messed up their computer with ubuntu or something and now wants nothing to do with it ever again.

Nice suprise that it's not :)

jkblacker
May 4th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I expected this thread to be someone who messed up their computer with ubuntu or something and now wants nothing to do with it ever again.

Nice suprise that it's not :)

Haha no, I expect never to be that person - I know that if ever I do mess up my computer (unlikely), I can probably get it fixed with everyone's help.
To be honest, I went for the sensationalist name for the attention...:grin:

justin whitaker
May 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM
To be honest, I went for the sensationalist name for the attention...:grin:

Ha! At least you are honest about it. :)

Too bad there is no Ubuntero's Anonymous. My wife would sign me up immediately. :(

Welcome to the fold!

Bigbluecat
May 4th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Another one seduced by the power of the brown side.

Hmmm - that doesn't sound quite ..... oh well

diskotek
May 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Look on the bright side. At least you're not addicted to something worse. Like drugs, video games, prostitutes, or gambling.

This is also not a problem depending on what you're studying. If you're a lib art major, you can wing it. If you're an engineer .. umm.. if you're an engineer then why the hell are you reading my reply get your nose back in that book and start start studying before that exam tears you a new one.

haha, that's nice... i'm in the same situation, annd yah i saw typing in terminal one night in my dream. hahaha something like sudo apt-get... i think addiction on drug, video games are worse than it. i have a friend that using computer from 486x architecture: damn he even don't know editing simple html (he's engineer now)... now i know many things now... i'm happy with that.. but yeah, i have ubuntuforums.org extension for firefox; rss feeds of ubuntu forums & digg linux on my netvibes page...

Ikonoclasm
May 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
*stands up*

Hello. My name's Iko and I'm an Ubuntu addict...

raymac46
May 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
You have my sympathy. When I was a student 40 years ago, all we had in the hardware department was FORTRAN IV on a punch card fed mainframe, or a magnetic card operated Olivetti Programma 101 for doing regression analysis. Neither were particularly addictive timewasters.
There was always Labatt's 50 or Molson Canadian though. Now THAT was addictive. :)

jkblacker
May 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
i saw typing in terminal one night in my dream. hahaha something like sudo apt-get...

I wrote an uber-geeky message to someone on facebook:

sudo apt-get install oldenglishrevision
or something like that...but it doesn't work. I might actually have to revise at some point!

As for the brown side...we need a far catchier tagline than that!

justin whitaker
May 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM
*stands up*

Step 1: Admitting you have a problem.
Step 2: Installing Vista.
Step 3: Installing AOL.....

:lolflag:

diskotek
May 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM
*stands up*

**hand clappings**

happy-and-lost
May 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Thank goodness for klatin... simultaneous revision and Ubuntu.

munozm
May 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Unexpected post. Thanks for the laugh.

xpod
May 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Too bad there is no Ubuntero's Anonymous. My wife would sign me up immediately.

:-\"

matthew
May 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Be careful...this is how I ended up an admin.

goumples
May 4th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I took a Linux course last year and decided then to switch. I went ape **** installing different distros and stuff because I wanted to try them all... One day I took a step back and realized that I had shrunk partitions to clear space for new OS's so much that I actually had very little space on my machine for.. um... files :(

DX 00
May 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Be careful...this is how I ended up an admin.

That's what I was going to say. Just don't worry about your class and change carriers. Why fight it, give in. If you only understood the power of the brown side.

All kidding asside, I now have the same problem at work :(

btw,

*Stands up* My name is DX and I too am addicted to ubuntu/bash/irssi/ubuntu-forums

jkblacker
May 5th, 2007, 12:07 AM
All very reassuring, I must say...and I was hoping the excitement would wear off after a while. Then again, of course, it's only 5 months until the next release!

Tundro Walker
May 5th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Look on the bright side. At least you're not addicted to something worse. Like drugs, video games, prostitutes, or gambling...

...or Microsoft...

JNowka
May 5th, 2007, 01:50 AM
*Stands Up*
My name is J, and I am an Kubuntu Addict. Yeah I am on the blue side.

SMURF!

... yeah....

*Sits back down*

racoq
May 5th, 2007, 02:42 AM
*Stands Up*
My name is J, and I am an Kubuntu Addict. Yeah I am on the blue side.

SMURF!

... yeah....

*Sits back down*

I'm a Xubuntu user, i'm addicted to the darkside blue of ubuntu flavours. Join our growing community, of the all mighty rat power (XFCE), and together we will rule the galaxy of lightweight distros.

:guitar:

macogw
May 5th, 2007, 03:15 AM

well if that's SOFTWARE or COMPUTER engineer, uh...claim this as "study time" :D

jkblacker
May 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
well if that's SOFTWARE or COMPUTER engineer, uh...claim this as "study time" :D

Unfortunately not - English Lit! So all this time I'm tinkering, I should be reading...

matthew
May 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Unfortunately not - English Lit! So all this time I'm tinkering, I should be reading...It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Ubuntu had entered my life just as I was embarking on a great voyage of intellectual augmentation. Truly, I had a most difficult of choice before me; do I pursue my new love at the expense of my chosen field, or is there another option? How shall I find for myself the needed balance? Alas, if only my beloved literature contained within the kernel of technology with which I have become enraptured...

steven8
May 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Ubuntu had entered my life just as I was embarking on a great voyage of intellectual augmentation. Truly, I had a most difficult of choice before me; do I pursue my new love at the expense of my chosen field, or is there another option? How shall I find for myself the needed balance? Alas, if only my beloved literature contained within the kernel of technology with which I have become enraptured...

. . .or something like that. . . :popcorn:

Lucifiel
May 10th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I couldn't cope with a forum ban - I'm not ready to go cold turkey!

And I suppose by a 'worse addiction' you surely mean one that's not only damaging but also expensive? At least this is free, I suppose!

Thanks for the replies, guys; it's nice to know there are others like me!

Oh yes, you will! :evil:

Nurse, help me down this patient, shall we? :D

It's time to put you in a straight jacket. :)

Muhwahahahahahahahahaha...

And the time to experiment has come.

*gets ready her instruments and other shiny tools*

MOS95B
May 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Another one seduced by the power of the brown side.

Hmmm - that doesn't sound quite ..... oh well

If that's the official slogan, I think I need to go uninstall now.....

:lolflag:

koshatnik
May 10th, 2007, 03:45 PM

You've just listed all my hobbies.

Tucatts
May 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Thank you Thank you Thank you LOL I am NOT alone. My wife does sudoku all the time and I do Ubuntu, ha ha.