PDA

View Full Version : apache declining

karellen
May 4th, 2007, 05:15 PM
http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/05/04/apache-at-56-what-is-wrong/
I don't know, I find this pretty said, as apache server was one of the most successful open source products (if not the most)
:confused:

Rocan
May 9th, 2007, 08:36 PM
i find this sad also, as i use to use apache. i guess people got bored with it????

DJ_Max
May 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
i find this sad also, as i use to use apache. i guess people got bored with it????

I've ran Apache, LightTPD, Cherokee, and Litespeed on production servers, running various applications such as Mongrel, FastCGI and SCGI. At first Apache was the only viable option, even though for most tasks it's slow, resource intensive, and hard to configure, but the other web servers have picked up the pace and surpassed Apache in future technologies.

To put it simple, Apache is an overkill in most environments. I've stopped using Apache since LightTPD 1.4, and don't see a reason to use Apache.

karellen
May 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM
as I'm no expert sysadmin/webadmin I don't know that much about how apache works...but it's just a feeling of losing, as I think that apache was (and still is) the most widespread open source program and the backbone of 3/4 of the internet. now I don't know..
maybe I'm wrong :confused:

DJ_Max
May 9th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Also, people use Apache to mean Apache Software Foundation's HTTPD server. There is no program called Apache, at the most you can call it Apache HTTP server project. Apache has a lot of other neat programs, most Java related (frameworks, app servers, etc..)