PDA

View Full Version : Pidgin 2.0 Released!!

Kunstar
May 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Its finally out!

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=235&package_id=230234&release_id=505814

EdThaSlayer
May 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Can't wait to see this. GAIM beta [6?] crashes way too often for me when logging in via multiple accounts. I did see some previews where its GUI looked sexier than the GAIM GUI.

WishMaster
May 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM
someone has a feisty .deb ?

cookieofdoom
May 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM
There's an i386 over in this thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=429255&highlight=pidgin

If I can find a good tutorial I'll see if I can make a 64-bit debian.

Boreras
May 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
compiling it right now, but it won't be much use sharing it. This is a breezy badger upgraded box, which also has had a lot of non official repos, and upgraded while development was in alpha state two times.
Hope someone does have the right box to make a good .deb.

hanzomon4
May 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
So whats different?

bvanaerde
May 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Won't this be included into the Feisty updates?

cookieofdoom
May 4th, 2007, 03:48 PM
So whats different?

Well, for starters it's a release version. What we have in the feisty repos now is a beta. I tried to make a debian and managed to mess up at every turn possible. :confused:

If anyone does manage to make a debian I'd be happy to host it. Although I'm hoping it'll just be an update that gets released soon.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Argh!
They cut back on package formats :(
I guess I'll wait for a deb or an autopackage. Hopefully they'll come. (They have at least Autopackage for 1.5, so I would hope they keep it up for 2.0!).

As for an update to Feisty, let's hope! It is in Main, and the current version in the repos is a beta, so I think an update is necessary. (You can't use an old beta of something that has a perfectly good stable release and call it OK, 6-month release schedule or not).
It's quite bothersome to remove gaim since it also removes the ubuntu-desktop metapackage, which is a pain.

hyperair
May 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Ok, so I'm a bit blur, but is this the final or the beta7? I certainly don't see any post of pidgin 2.0.0 final anywhere, but the archives there don't have the word beta in it.

hype
May 4th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Well, it's released at sourceforge, so just wait a bit for other sites to updates the info. :)

I'm just compiling it; i tested beta 7 which was stable; i dint see anychanges, exept icons.

Edit; ok, just compiled: tray icon looks better, but i still find the contacts icons to big. :p
Anyway still a great IM client! :D

Kristopher
May 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Will this just remove Gaim and install that if its done via Ubuntu updates? or will you need to remove gaim first?

AaronMT
May 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM
How do I get a menu launcher for it under Internet in Applications?

bobpaul
May 4th, 2007, 04:41 PM

I don't think so. Ubuntu's policy is to only provide security and stability updates after the feature freeze--and certainly after the official release. A good example is Firefox. We had to wait till the next release for both 1.5 and 2.0 unless you installed the newer versions manually or with automatix or something.

That said, this case is a little blurry in that it's transitioning from beta to final. There might be an argument to be made with regards to providing the update before the new Ubuntu. If not, this will surely be available from Automatix rather shortly.

hyperair
May 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Before you run the last command (sudo make install), run
gedit pidgin.desktop and at the line where it says
Icon=pidgin change it to
Icon=pidgin.svg

Then run
sudo make install

AaronMT
May 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM
aaron@aaron-laptop:~/Desktop/pidgin-2.0.0$ sudo make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

?

darweth
May 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Well, it's released at sourceforge, so just wait a bit for other sites to updates the info. :)

I'm just compiling it; i tested beta 7 which was stable; i dint see anychanges, exept icons.

Edit; ok, just compiled: tray icon looks better, but i still find the contacts icons to big. :p
Anyway still a great IM client! :D

The tray icon has changed since Pidgin Beta 7? Screenshots!

tehkain
May 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I don't think so. Ubuntu's policy is to only provide security and stability updates after the feature freeze--and certainly after the official release. A good example is Firefox. We had to wait till the next release for both 1.5 and 2.0 unless you installed the newer versions manually or with automatix or something.

That said, this case is a little blurry in that it's transitioning from beta to final. There might be an argument to be made with regards to providing the update before the new Ubuntu. If not, this will surely be available from Automatix rather shortly.

Didn't edgy ship with a firefox 2.0 release candidate? Then they updated to final about a 2 weeks after release?

motang
May 4th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah finally. It much better pleasing icons the tired old ones. Can't for the update to come through.

AaronMT
May 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM
configure: error:

You must have the GTK+ 2.0 development headers installed to compile Pidgin.
If you only want to build Finch then specify --disable-gtkui when running configure.

?

Megatog615
May 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Any chance of a .deb of the final version soon?

amphet
May 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Just compiled it from source without issues, it even created a *.desktop for me.

MRiGnS
May 4th, 2007, 06:12 PM
EDIT:got it working

Rattle
May 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM
configure: error:

You must have the GTK+ 2.0 development headers installed to compile Pidgin.
If you only want to build Finch then specify --disable-gtkui when running configure.

?
sudo apt-get build-dep gaim && sudo apt-get install doxygen

then
./configure && make && make install

buld-dep to let apt-get take care of the dependencies for compiling Gaim and install doxygen to make MSN work. Can't remember exactly what the package did or why you need it, but you need it.

amphet
May 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
sudo apt-get build-dep gaim && sudo apt-get install doxygen

then
./configure && make && make install

buld-dep to let apt-get take care of the dependencies for compiling Gaim and install doxygen to make MSN work. Can't remember exactly what the package did or why you need it, but you need it.

I don't have doxygen installed and I'm using msn as we speak so I don't think you really need that.

Rattle
May 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM
OK, I needed that for Gaim 2.0 beta 2 or something and haven't compiled Gaim/Pidgin without installing doxygen since then. If your MSN works without doxygen, I guess you don't need it anymore then. :)

Gilgad Drumheller
May 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
For AaronMT's problem,

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
should do the trick. You can also search for it through synaptic/adept/whatever

amphet
May 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
OK, I needed that for Gaim 2.0 beta 2 or something and haven't compiled Gaim/Pidgin without installing doxygen since then. If your MSN works without doxygen, I guess you don't need it anymore then. :)

probably, I never used the betas.

mech7
May 4th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Can anybody post the debs for the final ?:)

MRiGnS
May 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM
i tried to make debs but i fails everytime because it wants to overwrite a gcc file :(

make install works fine though

DoktorSeven
May 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM
For anyone trying to compile from source and get an error that they don't have something installed -- remember that to compile from source you need the -dev version of the package from the repos. For example, for the GTK error AaronMT is getting, one needs libgtk2.0-dev.

Compiling from there should be as easy as ./configure, make, sudo make install.

Quillz
May 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Its finally out!

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=235&package_id=230234&release_id=505814
Went ahead and upgraded, thanks for the news!

Rattle
May 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM
For anyone trying to compile from source and get an error that they don't have something installed -- remember that to compile from source you need the -dev version of the package from the repos. For example, for the GTK error AaronMT is getting, one needs libgtk2.0-dev.

Compiling from there should be as easy as ./configure, make, sudo make install.
'apt-get build-dep gaim' takes care of all that.

zerwas
May 4th, 2007, 08:49 PM
No DEB for Ubuntu 7.04 so far? I will try.

MRiGnS
May 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Building it from source doesn't cause any issues just building a deb file with checkinstall does not work.

If have enough time i will build them manually tomorrow. x86 x86-dbg

nexx
May 4th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Just installed using ./configure, make and make install. It works but is not in the menu, have to start it using F2 start application. It does not appears in synaptics either. I am just wondering if it is safe to dump (uninstall) gaim at this point. Also how can you uninstall a program that does not appears in synaptic, it look weird to me.

mech7
May 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I get this,.. ./configure seems to work but then..

chris@chris-laptop:~/Desktop/pidgin-2.0.0$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
chris@chris-laptop:~/Desktop/pidgin-2.0.0$ make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
chris@chris-laptop:~/Desktop/pidgin-2.0.0$ ./configure ,make
configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
configure: WARNING: invalid host type: ,make
checking build system type... Invalid configuration `,make': machine `,make' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/bash ./config.sub ,make failed

chris@chris-laptop:~/Desktop/pidgin-2.0.0$ ./configure ,make
configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
configure: WARNING: invalid host type: ,make
checking build system type... Invalid configuration `,make': machine `,make' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/bash ./config.sub ,make failed
chris@chris-laptop:~/Desktop/pidgin-2.0.0$

or all commands at once..

chris@chris-laptop:~/Desktop/pidgin-2.0.0$ ./configure, make, sudo make install.bash: ./configure,: No such file or directo
How does this work :mad:

Rattle
May 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
*Sigh*

I have mentioned it twice in this thread.

mailbox
May 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Just got done compiling it... so, uh, how do I run it? 'pidgin' in term does nothing, and i can't find it under networking.

happy-and-lost
May 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Looks very nice, but it won't connect to MSN without a certain SSL... any clue as to what to install?

brunomiguel
May 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Was anyone able to compile pidgin with gstreamer enabled? Every time I try to compile it with Gstreamer, it disables it... Already tried --enable-gstreamer, but no success...

zerwas
May 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Building it from source doesn't cause any issues just building a deb file with checkinstall does not work.

If have enough time i will build them manually tomorrow. x86 x86-dbg

No i will publish a DEB for feisty, built with dh_make, dpkg-buildpackage and pbuilder. :-)
I will finish it this night. Hopefully with GStreamer-support (and SSL for sure)

brunomiguel
May 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
My bad... I didn't had gstreamer dev installed.

Mateo
May 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM
so how long until it's in the repos? will it upgrade from gaim, or do you have to uninstall gaim and install this instead?

mailbox
May 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM
what's the command to run it?
anyone?

brunomiguel
May 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM
open the terminal and type pidgin

Hubris2
May 4th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I compiled from source, as per this thread. First time I ran it, it had my full contact list, as organized in Gaim beta 6. Doesn't look like an upgrade is required.

MRiGnS
May 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
No i will publish a DEB for feisty, built with dh_make, dpkg-buildpackage and pbuilder. :-)
I will finish it this night. Hopefully with GStreamer-support (and SSL for sure)

ok, then i will build my own deb with blackjack and h**kers ;P

Aranel
May 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Looks very nice, but it won't connect to MSN without a certain SSL... any clue as to what to install?

sudo apt-get install libgnutls-dev should take care of it.

mailbox
May 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
open the terminal and type pidgin

"command not found"

Aranel
May 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM
"command not found"

I believe it installs in /usr/local/bin instead of /usr/bin. I can't know for sure myself (mine's still compiling :p ), but this might work:

sudo ln -s /usr/local/pidgin /usr/bin/

mailbox
May 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Nope, that didn't work either.

Aranel
May 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Nope, that didn't work either.

Er, that's because I messed it up. Whoops. :mad:

Try this:

sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/pidgin /usr/bin/

rolando2424
May 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Too bad I can't seem to make the bipping sound the default one (that existed in Gaim). I only got the bip console... :(

mailbox
May 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
still no.
i'll try recompiling.

MRiGnS
May 4th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Too bad I can't seem to make the bipping sound the default one (that existed in Gaim). I only got the bip console... :(

you probably ompiled it without gstreamer support

b1g4L
May 5th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Here is a review of Pidgin for those wondering whether or not to install....

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/pidgin-2-0.ars

Polygon
May 5th, 2007, 12:53 AM
i tried compiling and i needed to install

libglib-dev
libgtk2-dev
libxml2-dev

now lets see if i can figure out the arguments...

arg i cant figure out which ones to put

i want:

dbus support
ssl support
gstreamer support
gtkspell support

and what does build with network manager mean?

if anyone could help me out that would be cool

mustang
May 5th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks for letting us know. Here's what I did to get it going:

sudo apt-get build-dep gaim
./configure
make
sudo make install

Thanks you Rattle for that time-saving build-dep command.

zerwas
May 5th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I made a DEB (for Feisty users)

Grab it while it's hot: http://rapidshare.com/files/29533296/pidgin_2.0.0-1_i386.deb.html

And thanks for feedback :-)

Sef
May 5th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Yes, probably will show up in about a week.

Mateo
May 5th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Why does it take so long? Some people try to say that repositories is a plus for ubuntu, but having to wait forever after new software is released is not a plus. It's a minus.

zerwas
May 5th, 2007, 01:37 AM
having to wait forever

Come on, a week. That's pretty fast. If you can't wait, build it from source or try my DEB so long.

Polygon
May 5th, 2007, 01:38 AM
its because they check the software out, test it, make sure malicious code hasnt been added, and make sure that all the dependencies and build options are set up correctly

and if its going to be included in the repos as an update (from gaim 2.0 beta 6 to pidgin 2.0) then ill just wait for the update to come through.

MRiGnS
May 5th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Why does it take so long? Some people try to say that repositories is a plus for ubuntu, but having to wait forever after new software is released is not a plus. It's a minus.

lol, waiting forever. try debian stable if you want to wait forever. software for the repositories must be tested and approved. you can't just add something because of security issues.

Mateo
May 5th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Come on, a week. That's pretty fast. If you can't wait, build it from source or try my DEB so long.

No it's not. You made a deb in less than a day. So if you can do it, why does it take canonical a week?

Mateo
May 5th, 2007, 01:57 AM
lol, waiting forever. try debian stable if you want to wait forever. software for the repositories must be tested and approved. you can't just add something because of security issues.

tested specifically for what, and why does this testing take a week?

MRiGnS
May 5th, 2007, 02:04 AM
at first they got the source. they must check the sourcecode for eventual added malware etc.

then they build the debs for several architectures, add all the deps, they need to test the debs if they really work on every machine and not just on their ownv test if there are memory or security holes. ok now you got the debs. these debs must be put on all the repo servers.

now they have to check all the md5 checksums of every single package on every single server.

if all went well it's in the list of the software you can download.

compwiz18
May 5th, 2007, 02:26 AM
one amd64 deb of pidgin 2.0.0 final: http://compwiz18.ig3.net/linux/pidgin/pidgin_2.0.0-1_amd64.deb

Polygon
May 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I made a DEB (for Feisty users)

Grab it while it's hot: http://rapidshare.com/files/29533296/pidgin_2.0.0-1_i386.deb.html

And thanks for feedback :-)

btw, thank you so much for the deb.

kaede
May 5th, 2007, 06:25 AM
another link for i386

http://download.ubuntu.pl/_Feisty_Fawn/pidgin/pidgin_2.0.0-1_i386.deb

:D

kpolice
May 5th, 2007, 07:16 AM

It's one of the reasons I don't use Ubuntu anymore although I try to help in the forums everyday.

Quillz
May 5th, 2007, 07:48 AM
so how long until it's in the repos? will it upgrade from gaim, or do you have to uninstall gaim and install this instead?
I installed a .deb package of Beta 7 outside of Synaptic, and later found out that Synaptic somehow picked it up and is now managing it for me. So it's in the repos, but Beta 7, not the final release yet.

And since Pidgin is just the new name for Gaim, yes, it keeps all your settings and profiles just the way they were.

Quillz
May 5th, 2007, 07:51 AM
The final release only came out today. And there's always a chance it could be buggy. Just give it a few days, I'm sure it won't be long before the final release is in there. And if you absolutely can't wait, just compile an independent build yourself and place it in /opt or some other place that it won't get touched by Synaptic.

NeoChaosX
May 5th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I installed a .deb package of Beta 7 outside of Synaptic, and later found out that Synaptic somehow picked it up and is now managing it for me. So it's in the repos, but Beta 7, not the final release yet.

Actually, no, it's not in the repos yet. Synaptic manages all debs installed, regardless if the package is in the preset repos or not.

If you want a Ubuntu-built Pidgin 2.0, you have to wait until Gutsy for it.

zerwas
May 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
A good build (i hope)
Pidgin (http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Pidgin)

Polygon
May 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Actually, no, it's not in the repos yet. Synaptic manages all debs installed, regardless if the package is in the preset repos or not.

If you want a Ubuntu-built Pidgin 2.0, you have to wait until Gutsy for it.

one of the forum mods said that it would be in the repos within a week. And it makes sense, as ubuntu's policy is not to include new major versions of software, but updates of the same version (aka beta 7 to final 2.0) are included.

rolando2424
May 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM
To bad my Guifications don't seem to work in Pidgin...

plb
May 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM
It's not hard to build it from source, it took me all of 10 minutes to get all the deps than build it :confused:

haggard1
May 5th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Hi fellas.

I tried to compile latest final Pidgin from source, when all was going well, I faced with these:

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/alperen/geik/pidgin-2.0.0/m4macros'
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/alperen/geik/pidgin-2.0.0/po'
file=`echo af | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
&& rm -f $file && -o $file af.po
/bin/sh: line 1: -o: command not found
make[2]: *** [af.gmo] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/alperen/geik/pidgin-2.0.0/po'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/alperen/geik/pidgin-2.0.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
iskenderun:/home/alperen/geik/pidgin-2.0.0#

What can it be now? I'm a Debian user by the way.

plb
May 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Hi fellas.

I tried to compile latest final Pidgin from source, when all was going well, I faced with these:

I compiled on debian as well with no issues whatsoever. I already had many *-dev packages installed so the only 2 I had to get was libxml2 and perl xml parser package. I imagine you would also need gtk2 dev and maybe some xorg ones. I'm on sid btw.

Quillz
May 5th, 2007, 08:35 PM
one of the forum mods said that it would be in the repos within a week. And it makes sense, as ubuntu's policy is not to include new major versions of software, but updates of the same version (aka beta 7 to final 2.0) are included.
So by this policy, I take it we won't see Thunderbird 2 until 7.10?

Polygon
May 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM
So by this policy, I take it we won't see Thunderbird 2 until 7.10?

yes. They do it cause major version upgrades (like 1.5.0.11 or w/e to 2.0) are...major... they want to make sure that it plays nicely with the rest of the programs and the operating system. Usually minor upgrades are bug fixes, not additional features.

so if you have been waiting for thunderbird 2 to hit the repos, i would go ahead and find a deb of it somewhere and install it, as its not coming out until gutsy ;)

quantumcheese
May 6th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I had no trouble compiling beta 6 under Dapper, and then I didn't need to once I switched to Edgy; but for beta 7 and now the final realease under Feisty, I can compile, and it seems to work, but when I launch pidgin, it doesn't have any protocols installed; all my accounts show up as "unknown".
All I can think is that I'm missing some package, but I thought sudo apt-get build-dep gaim would get all that I needed.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thank you.

OffHand
May 6th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I wonder why their fonts still suck. It's just plain ugly.

joeblow1102
May 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM
To bad my Guifications don't seem to work in Pidgin...

have you compiled the most recent version of guifications? pidgin.guifications.org

i was surprised that pidgin kept my plugins when i updated from beta7 to final.

DoktorSeven
May 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hi fellas.

Do you have gettext installed? Looks like it didn't find/know about the msgfmt binary.

rolando2424
May 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
have you compiled the most recent version of guifications? pidgin.guifications.org

i was surprised that pidgin kept my plugins when i updated from beta7 to final.

Thank you, it worked :D

DocHoliday52090
May 7th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I jumped the gun and compiled beta7.

Is there any way I can 'update' the install rather than uninstalling it and replacing it?

On that note, 'sudo apt-get remove pidgin' doesn't work either. Can't find the package.

ZeroXR
May 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Anyone have any idea how to get the gFire plug-in working with Pidgin? That's the only thing I need at the moment...

gradedcheese
May 7th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Hey, I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but the amsn people registered "pigdin.im" ...dorks.

DocHoliday52090 -- apt doesn't manage software you build from source, it manages .deb packages. So you can't remove it that way and no to upgrade you build it again and install. Look at the install log files (in the source directory) to see where things got placed.

hanzomon4
May 7th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I jumped the gun and compiled beta7.

Is there any way I can 'update' the install rather than uninstalling it and replacing it?

On that note, 'sudo apt-get remove pidgin' doesn't work either. Can't find the package.

Go to the directory you compiled the program in and run "sudo make uninstall"

Yggdrasill
May 7th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Where is Pidgin 2.0 installed? I tried looking in /usr/share/pixmap but only find a GAIM folder. I need to copy this (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29142704/?q=tango+GAIM&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5&offset=40) theme into Pidgin.

chrishaney
May 7th, 2007, 04:39 AM
http://www.freshnet.org/wordpress/2007/05/05/pidgin-200-for-ubuntu-feisty/

Wiebelhaus
May 7th, 2007, 04:40 AM
the icon is just....bad.

Quillz
May 7th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I wonder why their fonts still suck. It's just plain ugly.
Looks fine to me on a stock 7.04...

Footissimo
May 7th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Where is Pidgin 2.0 installed? I tried looking in /usr/share/pixmap but only find a GAIM folder. I need to copy this (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29142704/?q=tango+GAIM&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5&offset=40) theme into Pidgin.

You can try and replace the pidgin icon folder in /usr/share/pixmaps, but it doesn't work - I believe Pidgin gets rid of all the old icons that symbolised different protocols - so the icons used in this lovely Tango theme are fairly useless =(

Polygon
May 7th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Hey, I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but the amsn people registered "pigdin.im" ...dorks.

thats really low of the amsn devs.

graabein
May 7th, 2007, 08:49 AM
the icon is just....bad.

I have not seen it in reviews or the Pidgin website. Can you post a screenshot please?

philldo
May 7th, 2007, 08:57 AM
yea, its not the best of icons... but its unmistakable i guess ;-)

bvanaerde
May 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM
yea, its not the best of icons... but its unmistakable i guess ;-)
I do like the icon, but the full image looks a bit childish.

meborc
May 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM
hmm... reminds me of a thunderbird... or should i say thunderpidgin :D

installed the final from scource... the make took ages... but it's up and running :P

graabein
May 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Okay, it's a purple bird :) Fine by me I guess... I was thinking of the tray/notification icon though.

I downloaded and installed the windows version (at work) and I like it. A green circle means available and a blue clock is away.

I can't connect with my MSN account though. I get Writing error. Anyone know what that means? I use the same proxy settings as I had in my previous IM client.

jeduan
May 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Okay, it's a purple bird :) Fine by me I guess... I was thinking of the tray/notification icon though.

I downloaded and installed the windows version (at work) and I like it. A green circle means available and a blue clock is away.

I can't connect with my MSN account though. I get Writing error. Anyone know what that means? I use the same proxy settings as I had in my previous IM client.
Have you tried the "Use HTTP method checkbox" in Edit account->Advanced?

bvanaerde
May 7th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I was thinking of the tray/notification icon though.
I like it simple, so the tray icon is good enough for me :)

graabein
May 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM

Yeah I think so. I'll double check at work tomorrow.

gummygod
May 7th, 2007, 11:47 PM
there isnt a .deb for dapper (6.06) 32 bit somewhere is there? (for the final 2.0.0 version)
i looked everywhere. when i try to compile source i get this annoying "checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool" error.
apparently this: http://www.karakas-online.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3915 should help but i cant get that to work either.
any1 kno of this .deb? or kno what the problem is?

phinn
May 8th, 2007, 01:42 AM
So uhhh is Ubuntu going to update their repositories for the most popular instant messaging client in existence or we going to sit around waiting forever?????

:(

My friends with Windows boxes all have it and I don't wanna have to download 100mbs in compiling crap to get it running.

phinn
May 8th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Ah ok, although ubuntu doesn't have it on the repos these guys have it

http://www.freshnet.org/wordpress/2007/05/05/pidgin-200-for-ubuntu-feisty/
and
http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Pidgin

I just hope it doesn't mess anything up when Ubuntu finally does add it.
Why the hell they had to go with that UGLY purple design is beyond me.

EDIT: None of these packages work for me. They all have a bunch of dependencies I can't seem to download... Sure wish Ubuntu would update their ****

bionnaki
May 8th, 2007, 01:48 AM
upgraded and it's ok. same thing as the latest gaim, seems like. real ugly icons and artwork. I really wish gaim/pidgin moves in the direction of or can compete with the beauty of iChat.

graabein
May 8th, 2007, 07:50 AM

I have the following settings:

MSN Options

Server: gateway.messenger.hotmail.com
Port: 80
Use HTTP Method: Yes
Show custom smileys: Yes

Proxy Options

Proxy type: HTTP
Host: <proxy address>
Port: 8080
Username: <blank>
Password: <blank>

And I get this error message:

<mail address> disconnected
Connection error from Notification server:
Writing error

misfitpierce
May 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I myself have tried out pidgin... It is alright I prefer gaim atm myself tho

plb
May 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Pidgin is in debian unstable...perhaps you can snag it from their repos and "hope" it works for ubuntu :)

Polygon
May 8th, 2007, 02:36 PM
i really like pidgin 2.0, stable and it looks better then gaim. Good job to the devs :D

GumbyX
May 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Hey all. I am liking Pidgin, but I am having problems with sound. I can only choose console beeps or commands (no automatic like in GAIM) under sound method. Anyone else having this problem or know of a fix for it?

Thanks ahead of time.

PS I have found people saying that Pidgin is not debain stable yet, though I compiled it fine and made a deb out of it.

b1g4L
May 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Hey all. I am liking Pidgin, but I am having problems with sound. I can only choose console beeps or commands (no automatic like in GAIM) under sound method. Anyone else having this problem or know of a fix for it?

Thanks ahead of time.

PS I have found people saying that Pidgin is not debain stable yet, though I compiled it fine and made a deb out of it.

I am having the same issue with sound. Sound worked fine with GAIM, but in Pidgin, I can only get console beeps.

mech7
May 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah pidgin 2 is great.. i hope they will make a search form like in live messenger though it is pretty usefull for findinf contacts in large lists :)

jack1254
May 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Hey, this got rid of the XML::Parser error for me:

sudo apt-get install libxml-perl libxml-parser

(If the package names are slightly off, sorry this is from memory. Easily found in a package manager.

Madmoose
May 9th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for the debs! Have you submitted them to http://www.getdeb.net/ yet?

If you haven't... can you? :) Please.

Thanks!

Moose

Barrakketh
May 14th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I am having the same issue with sound. Sound worked fine with GAIM, but in Pidgin, I can only get console beeps.

Sound works for me, but I'm using a package I created that is based off of the Ubuntu Gaim 2.0beta6 package.

bvanaerde
May 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the debs! Have you submitted them to http://www.getdeb.net/ yet?
It looks like somebody else already did this (http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Pidgin).
In this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=441363), you'll find a deb for feisty, along with a plugin pack.

Znupi
May 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM
So uhm... why is pidgin better than gaim?! I'm a Yahoo! Messenger user, and, pidgin is worse than gaim for me.

1) There are no more Yahoo! emoticons. (WHY??)
2) I still can't have an avatar on Yahoo!
3) I still can't receive files on Yahoo!
4) I still can't chat with my MSN-user friends...

Will there ever be a pidgin version that will correctly work on Yahoo!, too?

I actually went back to gaim :|.

misfitpierce
May 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I didnt bother to check while I had pidgin but can pidgin use the gaim festival plugin?

CowPizza
May 14th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Any one else notice this when compiling from the source?

checking for me pot o' gold... no

Ghostlove
May 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Is anyone else finding they have no menu bar? I downloaded it from getdeb.net and it's fine, except a lot of the features are unavailable to me because there's no menu! :/