PDA

View Full Version : The "It-Was-All-My-Fault" Thread

Aetherius
May 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM
A nod towards the tinkerings editings and downright ludicrous messings-around with very very crucial and delicate things.

FoolsGold
May 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I tinker as much as I need to, but not enough to compromise system integrity.

Hence, "never ever ever broken" (particularly since moving from Windows to Linux).

starcraft.man
May 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Lol, I can admit I've broken Linux, hehe, specially when I editted a few of the text files. I always make backups though so it usually is fixed fast. :)

Miguel
May 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I once broke the laptop I use for half the work I do. But it wasn't my fault. For some reason, the kernel, the BIOS and the ACPI decided to freeze (totally) my laptop during an arch upgrade. You know,

su -
pacman -Syu

And then, in the middle of replacing packages, at the third loss of electric light in my uni, the kernel said it was enough. A hard boot later, I was unable to use either Gnome nor Vim (really, vim, configured as my default editor). Pacman was only half working, since for whatever reason it had marked those packages as installed. I managed to get Vi working, as well as gdm, but it wouldn't enter gnome. I decided it was faster to reinstall ubuntu (which it wasn't due to a bug in a Feisty Herd installer) and quitted fixing pacman.

Of course, I could have booted into my windows gaming partition, which also has ssh. But no one on his mind would use windows for fortran coding, ssh-ing, writing bash scripts and so on.

Aetherius
May 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM
haha, the feisty herd installer bug was an annoying one. farrrrr toooooo looooong